Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One major difference in Heath and Nutt

Started by HawgAdvocate, January 17, 2007, 12:22:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

January 17, 2007, 12:22:24 am Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:27:17 am by HawgAdvocate
Over the past few weeks, I've come to realize that there's a major difference in the priorities of Stan Heath and Dale Nutt. And after I make my point, it is my hope that some of you will begin to appreciate what we have in Stan Heath, and what he's trying to bring to our basketball program.

Most of us have known for a long time that Dale never wanted Gus to succeed as OC, despite it being what the heavy fans wanted. The attempt at bringing in David Lee just months after hiring Alex Wood as QBs coach and Malzhan as OC now adds salt to the already throbbing wound. It succeeds at proving the point that Dale cares not for what the Razorback fans want or desire. We've been screaming for a passing game every year. Marked improvement has been offered to us by Dale every single year, with little to no attempt to actually make these claims come to fruition. Year after year we're left shaking our heads. Just like every year before this one, we've been fooled again. Dale obviously cares more for what he wants, and more importantly what Frank possibly wants, than he does what the fans (staudents, donors, ticket holders, etc.) actually want.

In contrast though, I'm seeing now though that Stan has heard the critics who have looked down on his style of basketball by attempting to give the fans what they want. And not just recently, but if you look it over, he's been working on this for some time now. Earlier in the year, many of you continued with the usual theme of writing Heath's Arkansas coaching off by saying his brand of Big 10, halfcourt basketball bores you, or it doesn't excite the masses. Granted, as a team we started off slow, possibly gaining some confidence, possibly taking baby steps, possibly ironing out the wrinkles.

But guess what, in the grand scale of things, Heath's current roster has been built as the up-tempo team most of you have wanted. And over the pasty few weeks, it's shown more than ever:

Exhibit A - Charles Thomas reshaping his body to run the floor more, being more involved in a full-court game
Exhibit B - The transfer of NYC up-tempo guard Gary Ervin. Nothing about him says half-court offense.
Exhibit C - The signing of Sonny Weems, a transition dynamo who earned his JUCO awards running the floor
Exhibit D - The lack of any big man on this team who CAN'T run the floor in an up-tempo environment.

Recruiting these players reflects a goal Heath must have been striving for, for some time. Unlike Nutt, Heath has actually been working to appease the demands of Razorback fans. He's given up offensive and defensive control to highly experienced assistants. Unlike Nutt, Heath hasn't passed blame to others, hasn't sold his coaches or players out to the media, hasn't dangled his name for other jobs, nor has he put himself before the program.

Heath might not be winning at the rate some of you desire, but he respects the University of Arkansas and the opinions of its fans 100x more than Dale ever will. The fans make demands, and Stan has done his best to try and deliver.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

cal34

I agree, he seems like a pretty good guy and doesnt put the blame on others when things go wrong.

JeffSpicoli

I agree, Nutt needs to take lessons on how to manage a program with class.

hogninja

Plus, Heath has been saying for years that he wants to be uptempo, transition BB, but have a halfcourt game that is also effective. :razorback:

KinkosHog

Heath is a good man, which you can't say about Nutt.

To me, being an honorable and forthright individual gets you a lot more cushion.

lovethosehogs

HawgWyld

Quote from: KinkosHog on January 17, 2007, 12:50:12 am
Heath is a good man, which you can't say about Nutt.

To me, being an honorable and forthright individual gets you a lot more cushion.
Agreed. It's a lot easier to despise Houston Nutt than it is to dislike Stan Heath.

jeepinhogfan

I want us all to look back to this post, everytime we bitch about a loss (me included). We could have Nutt's clone as a BBall coach.  Heath accepted a job at a school where he would have to follow one of the most heralded basketball coaches in college basketball history.  Nutt got the luxury of coming in after Ford.  The expectations were not as high. At least Heath has improved each year he has been here.

demonHOG1013

Also, they have improved each year Stan has been here......sadly each year under nutt we get worse, with a good season mixed in every 3-5 years

Sanctified Swine

Heath is a good man, honest, owns his crap and oozes integrity and doing things the right way.

Nutt well....all the stuff I said about Heath - the opposite

dhornjr1

maniax22bolts20

Before God the Razorbacks had better beat Georgia Wedensday night ! Nothing personal against UGA but after this past week somebody had better get the job done on The Hill.

HawgWyld

Quote from: maniax22bolts20 on January 17, 2007, 01:18:40 am
Before God the Razorbacks had better beat Georgia Wedensday night ! Nothing personal against UGA but after this past week somebody had better get the job done on The Hill.
Yes, we could use something to keep our minds off of football for a bit, huh?

Remember when Nolan was in his prime? The attitude around the state was, "Well, football sucks, but at least basketball season is on the way."

I truly hope Heath can get us back to those days...

hogninja

Quote from: HawgWyld on January 17, 2007, 01:20:10 am
Quote from: maniax22bolts20 on January 17, 2007, 01:18:40 am
Yes, we could use something to keep our minds off of football for a bit, huh?

Remember when Nolan was in his prime? The attitude around the state was, "Well, football sucks, but at least basketball season is on the way."

I truly hope Heath can get us back to those days...

I'm Already there.  Go Hogs. Beat Georgia!!! :razorback: :puke:

silvertip

Look at the diff between the way Heath handled the Townes blow-up---and the way JFB/Nutt handled the problem with MM and the Springdale parents.

Townes comes back stronger & could still become a dominant force for the Hawgs.
The S'dale players and coach are gone and the team is going to suffer.

It's about leadership.

oldbooniehog

Here's the REAL key difference between Nutt and Heath.

Nutt's workplace (the football field) is overlooked by JFB's office.

Heath's workplace (Bud Walton Arena) is not overlooked by JFB's office, and probably hasn't been visited by JFB in an official, boss capacity in quite some time.

Nutt has to go check with JFB before issuing a player's release.

JFB has his secretary send Heath "a questionaire" if Heath's Hogs aren't up to snuff.

oldbooniehg

Table Rocker

Heath isn't surrounded by a bunch of white trash dumbf*cks.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: jeepinhogfan on January 17, 2007, 12:58:10 am
I want us all to look back to this post, everytime we *** about a loss (me included). We could have Nutt's clone as a BBall coach.  Heath accepted a job at a school where he would have to follow one of the most heralded basketball coaches in college basketball history.  Nutt got the luxury of coming in after Ford.  The expectations were not as high. At least Heath has improved each year he has been here.

i heard him once before one of the games a week ago, someone asked him that, saying "why did you come to a school following a nat'l champ coach, coach of the year???  why on earth would you do that???"

Heath answered "well, haha, they always say you don't want to be the guy that FOLLOWS a legendary coach, you want to be the guy AFTER the guy that follows a legendary coach"  :) i had never heard that...  then he went on to say something like "it is a challenge, but I am confident we have the right players and the right direction and we are getting better and so close to just busting the door open... the alabama win was a sign of things to come this year... it is a challenge coming after nolan but i am fully prepared to meet it yada yada yada"

And THAT is the difference right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing. Just because Heath isn't Nutt doesn't mean he doesn't suck like a Rainbow Vacuum. If this current drama weren't going on each of you would be blasting Heath. And with good reason. He is in over his head and doesn't know how to fix the problem. We just lost to Ole Miss after trailing by 14. Ole Miss is terrible. Heath has won 5 conference road games in 4+ years.

HawgWyld

Quote from: Table Rocker on January 17, 2007, 11:02:38 am
Heath isn't surrounded by a bunch of white trash dumbf*cks.
Well, that goes without saying -- Houston Nutt attracts those of his ilk, after all.

Bomis Hawg

Heath does realize two things Nutt doesn't:

1) You have to delegate things to your assistants.  If they don't do well, let them go.
2) If this recruit isn't coming, go get this guy.  And, often, its not that big of a difference.

He has started to make the adjustments at the half more.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: Karma on January 17, 2007, 11:08:48 am
Amazing. Just because Heath isn't Nutt doesn't mean he doesn't suck like a Rainbow Vacuum. If this current drama weren't going on each of you would be blasting Heath. And with good reason. He is in over his head and doesn't know how to fix the problem. We just lost to Ole Miss after trailing by 14. Ole Miss is terrible. Heath has won 5 conference road games in 4+ years.

He won 3 last year, including #10 Tennessee, the THIRD BEST ROAD VICTORY IN HOG HISTORY
He will win 4 this year, maybe 3 if we go 0-3 at bama, lsu, and msu, maybe 5 if we get 2 of those

OLE MISS treats playing arkansas like their national championship, the guys we DIDNT recruit love to play us... we lost there what, 12 out of 13 times?  heath hasn't been there 13 years.  NOLAN'S CHAMP TEAMS AND FINAL FOUR TEAMS lost there, dont know why, but OM treats beating arkansas as the nat'l championship, and they play rod barnes-style footbal--i mean, basketball.  what?  did you just watch your first basketball game a week ago?  where have you been?

and 5 SEC road games in 4 years, yeah thats bad.  the first 3 years he was like 2-22.  he also had a froncourt of GOMEZ, SATCHELL, LANE.  not exactly a-class material.  those 02-03 recruits bolted to the nba or left arkansas (j.j., igoudala, al jefferson, lamptey couldn't make the grades, etc, etc, etc...  coaching FIRINGS--=>about RACE = TURMOIL.   what don't you get?

yes, we imploded in the end of the 2005 season.  we had a chance to go to the big dance, but eric ferguson missed that 3 against kentucky, and ronnie missed that **LAYUP*** against MSU, so instead of being 20-9, 7-8 with a chance to whip auburn to go to 8-8 in the league AND MAKE THE 05 TOURNEY, we lost to MSU (thanks ronnie) and were 18-10, 6-9... no chance for the dance, and we gave up at auburn.. 18-12 season's end, and thankfully we said no to the NIT.

other than the auburn game in 05, when have his players given up?  we lost 6 games in the sec by a total of 13 points last year (we were 10-6, btw, 6 shots from being UNDEFEATED in the league.)  NOlan's kids got blown out in the sec.  a lot.  the past 2 years we haven't.  we didn't give up last year.  last year AFTER OLE MISS WE BEAT 2 #10 TEAMS, 3 NCAA TEAMS, and won 6 straight......   

If you can't see the IMPROVEMENT (wins, sec wins, ppg, sec attendance, postseason chances), then wow root for nutt.  Heath is not john wooden, but he very well could be in 20 years (who knows), so why let him build us back up to back-to-back 20 win seasons and back-to-back ncaa tourneys just to FIRE HIM

A HUGE reason we lost to bucknell was seeding - the 8-9 game.  we won 22 games
TENNESSEE won 21 games (same as stan!) and they got a 2 seed.  WTH?

So stan went out and replaced TexasChorpusChristi's with Tulsa, ORU, Texas, Ttech, etc... we played good teams in the oldspice and our #4 HARDEST SCHEDULE in teh NATION and #15 RPI in the COUNTRY will thank us.

We could go 20-10 and still have a better seed than last year, because the Heath you so like to bash SCHEDULED HARD OPPONENTS THIS YEAR (Unlike Houston 'you mean we only play the sunbelt 4 times' Nutt)

HawgAdvocate

What's funny about guys like you is that you don't recognize progress, even when it's so obvious. Heath's road record isn't fantastic, but those players that Nolan left him with those first two years were hardly fantastic as well.

Did you know all SEC road teams went 1-11 in the first week? We lost by 2 to Ole Miss and 7 to a top 5 team in Florida. The difference in now and then was we would have lost by double that. It's just sad that some cant see it.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2007, 12:22:24 am
But guess what, in the grand scale of things, Heath's current roster has been built as the up-tempo team most of you have wanted. And over the pasty few weeks, it's shown more than ever:

Exhibit A - Charles Thomas reshaping his body to run the floor more, being more involved in a full-court game
Exhibit B - The transfer of NYC up-tempo guard Gary Ervin. Nothing about him says half-court offense.
Exhibit C - The signing of Sonny Weems, a transition dynamo who earned his JUCO awards running the floor
Exhibit D - The lack of any big man on this team who CAN'T run the floor in an up-tempo environment.

Recruiting these players reflects a goal Heath must have been striving for, for some time.

Wow.  That's about a perfect summation of everything going on on the court.  EXCELLENT -- didn't even read that the first time i posted.

Heath has been adjusting to what FANS want, and guess what, it ALSO just happens to WIN GAMES... excellent

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2007, 11:42:47 am

What's funny about guys like you is that you don't recognize progress, even when it's so obvious. Heath's road record isn't fantastic, but those players that Nolan left him with those first two years were hardly fantastic as well.

Did you know all SEC road teams went 1-11 in the first week? We lost by 2 to Ole Miss and 7 to a top 5 team in Florida. The difference in now and then was we would have lost by double that. It's just sad that some cant see it.

True, and now Florida is... #1 in the nation.

Lose by 7 at the #1 team in the country.
Down by 1 at the half, down by 5 with ten seconds left, at the #1, defending champ, returning all starters...  that's pretty dang impressive.

VolHogg

Heath has improved every year, says volumes.  When Heath got here not only was the pantry bare, it had been ripped out leaving holes in the wall. Heath is on track to make the sweet 16 this year.  My bet is he makes it.

carhog

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: carhog on January 17, 2007, 11:53:30 am
I wouldnt say that heath is not a liar

slow down there, modica... what do you mean?

You same people will be ripping Heath soon. Very soon.

btaylor2404

I agree with the assesment, and think Stan Heath is honest, unlike Nutt.  That really made me think about how I feel about the BB Program.  But at the end of the day, we are not fun to watch anymore, there seems to be no real plan after 4-5 years.  At this rate basketball will be in the same shape as football in 5 more years, just a few less wins, and a TON less drama.

carhog

i aint modica but i do have some insight on this

HawgAdvocate

Well, ok, he is a coach. And hell, who hasn't told a lil white lie here or there? But he's yet to go all out and blatantly lie to the public. None of his players or former players have called him a liar. he's yet to dangle his name for other coaching jobs.

He's worked to make his team into what the fans want, despite being lined up behnd the 8-ball from the get go.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: allyoucaneatbuffet on January 17, 2007, 11:45:48 am
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2007, 12:22:24 am

Recruiting these players reflects a goal Heath must have been striving for, for some time.

Wow.  That's about a perfect summation of everything going on on the court.  EXCELLENT -- didn't even read that the first time i posted.

Heath has been adjusting to what FANS want, and guess what, it ALSO just happens to WIN GAMES... excellent

I'm not sure he's 'adjusting' to what the fans want.  I think he's getting the team to the level where they can play the style of ball he wants to play.  It just so happens that it coincides with what we want as well.  I would hope that he wouldn't change his style of ball just because the fans clamor for it.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Karma on January 17, 2007, 11:57:33 am
You same people will be ripping Heath soon. Very soon.

Hahahaha, dream on bud.

HawgAdvocate

I'm not sure he's 'adjusting' to what the fans want.  I think he's getting the team to the level where they can play the style of ball he wants to play.  It just so happens that it coincides with what we want as well.  I would hope that he wouldn't change his style of ball just because the fans clamor for it.

Well, you shoulld know it's not ALL ABOUT what the fans want. But if it helps keep us interested, and it keeps recruits interested, if it builds on our prior tradition, then why spend a couple years putting the pieces together to make it work? That's what he's done, and continuing to try to do.

silvertip

Nolan lost at Ole Miss in his last 6 straight tries. At least Heath has won 1 of 5.

Quote from: silvertip on January 17, 2007, 12:04:47 pm

Nolan lost at Ole Miss in his last 6 straight tries. At least Heath has won 1 of 5.
Nolan won in the NIT tournament in his second year, made the NCAA T in his third, and won games in the NCAA in his 4th. And to prempt your impulse, he did not inherent talent from Sutton.

jm

Carhog
Do you have proof/quotes etc.. or are you just bashing?

silvertip

Quote from: carhog on January 17, 2007, 11:59:59 am

OK, I'll bite. Tell us about it.

What, did he promise Modica that he could teach him to dribble? That could have been just an honest mistake, instead of a lie.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: Karma on January 17, 2007, 12:08:52 pm
Quote from: silvertip on January 17, 2007, 12:04:47 pm

Nolan won in the NIT tournament in his second year, made the NCAA T in his third, and won games in the NCAA in his 4th. And to prempt your impulse, he did not inherent talent from Sutton.

take away the 'cupboard is bare' year, and STAN IS FOLLOWING THE EXACT SAME PATH AS NOLAN
losing year
NIT (we didn't go -frank said now)
NCAAT
??????

eeeerieeee

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: carhog on January 17, 2007, 11:59:59 am

are you talking about long ago, like, bye bye rashard sullivan long ago?  there's more to that story than you think, too.

carhog

silvertip I am not talking about anything that has to do with modica.   This has nothing to do with him.

HawgAdvocate

QuoteBut at the end of the day, we are not fun to watch anymore, there seems to be no real plan after 4-5 years.  At this rate basketball will be in the same shape as football in 5 more years, just a few less wins, and a TON less drama.

My initial post addressed the plan, which you know Stan has, even if I'm dead wrong. And we're playing at a much faster pace then we have in years past. The Hogs have picked up the pace, there's no doubt about that. Perhaps the fun would come back if all the negativity would subside.

allyoucaneatbuffet

Quote from: carhog on January 17, 2007, 12:18:12 pm
silvertip I am not talking about anything that has to do with modica.   This has nothing to do with him.

Is that you, Kendrick Davis???

btaylor2404

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2007, 12:19:16 pm
QuoteBut at the end of the day, we are not fun to watch anymore, there seems to be no real plan after 4-5 years.  At this rate basketball will be in the same shape as football in 5 more years, just a few less wins, and a TON less drama.

My initial post addressed the plan, which you know Stan has, even if I'm dead wrong. And we're playing at a much faster pace then we have in years past. The Hogs have picked up the pace, there's no doubt about that. Perhaps the fun would come back if all the negativity would subside.
Again I agree with your post, and I have recently joined Hogville, mainly because of football.  But when I don't even read the write-ups in the paper before the games, it's because of the style of play, I can deal with us losing, I just would like to see some kind of improvement and for the team to have some type of idenity.  I just don't see it.  Like I said, at least there's no drama like the FB Program. Peace

silvertip

Quote from: carhog on January 17, 2007, 12:18:12 pm
silvertip I am not talking about anything that has to do with modica.   This has nothing to do with him.

Then why did you use his name in your post?

jkcrunch

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2007, 11:42:47 am

Counselor,  Karma has a point there would be plenty fire Heath post out there.  I happen to like Heath because he is demonstrating character and some of his players are talking the talk.   If I have any complaints it is that we hired a guy that was just starting to learn how to be a HC.

hiphiphoorayhog

I think they both need to improve. Fact is Heath has not been able to get it done.

carhog

Silvertip, if you read the entire thread then you will see where someone said is that you modica.  That is how is name was brought up.  Not by me.