Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Too Much Crying About Officiating

Started by WilsonHog, January 14, 2007, 01:23:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

January 14, 2007, 01:23:55 am Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:29:24 am by WilsonHog
We turned the ball over 21 times. 

Our leading rebounder played 30 minutes and pulled down one rebound.

A team has some control over the number of turnovers it has. A team has some control over the number of boards it has. A team can control the number of quality possessions it has down the stretch.

A team cannot, however, control officiating.

Worry about improving what can be controlled, not whining about what can't.       

Atreyu

1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

tobs54

Agreed, wilson.  That is exactly what I saw.  We should have never been in that situation in the first place.

Atreyu

Despite my earlier genius assessment (above tobs 54 post), I agree with tobs. You should never be in a position like that to an inferior team.
HEYHEYHEY

lunchbox72703

I agree with you fully Wilson, but you can't deny that within 8 minutes we battled back to win the game, and the officials ultimately decided the outcome.......c'mon man

sharx4

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 01:23:55 am

true, but the officiating started raping the Hogs well b4 they started to collapse on their own.

tobs54

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 01:30:12 am
I agree with you fully Wilson, but you can't deny that within 8 minutes we battled back to win the game, and the officials ultimately decided the outcome.......c'mon man

Great, but his point is that we should have not had to "battle back," we should have already had a comfortable lead.  We played terrible and could not hold on to the ball or play "d."  Plain and simple.

WilsonHog

And yet if we played as well in the last 3:00 as we did in the previous 7:00, we win the game.

Or if we hadn't played such a poor first half.

There are FAR too many things over which a team has control to ever blame officiating on a loss. Even in the situation of a horrendous call on the final play of a game, there are always several earlier instances in which better play would have rendered the last play moot.

Atreyu

This is a streaky team if I've ever seen one.
HEYHEYHEY

lunchbox72703

Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 01:34:16 am

Great, but his point is that we should have not had to "battle back," we should have already had a comfortable lead.  We played terrible and could not hold on to the ball or play "d."  Plain and simple.

I agree with that point...but that is only true in a perfect world.  Every favored team will struggle against an inferior team in a season.  Talent and coaching usually wins out in a close fashion in the end.  But tonight, the guys in stripes played judge and jury for us and decided the final for us tonight.

sharx4

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 01:38:44 am
But tonight, the guys in stripes played judge and jury for us and decided the final for us tonight.

u are correct, but many... other than u & I think we should be able to overcome what the refs do, no matter the situation; which is CRAZY to think u can ALWAYS beat the refs AND the other team at THEIR house...

but whatever the geniuses think.

tobs54

I agree with that point...but that is only true in a perfect world.  Every favored team will struggle against an inferior team in a season.  Talent and coaching usually wins out in a close fashion in the end.  But tonight, the guys in stripes played judge and jury for us and decided the final for us tonight.

If the favored team struggles, that means they were not prepared.  Either overlooking or underestimating the opponent.  Still hard to blame the whole game on the officials.

WilsonHog

Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 01:33:24 am

true, but the officiating started raping the Hogs well b4 they started to collapse on their own.

If we had turned the ball over 10 times instead of 21 (something we can control), I wager that we win. That's 11 more possessions where a couple of stickbacks or a three is all we need.

sharx4

Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 01:42:20 am

If the favored team struggles, that means they were not prepared.  Either overlooking or underestimating the opponent.  Still hard to blame the whole game on the officials.

true...  however...  WE LOST BY 2 DAMN POINTS... how many did the refs give the webbels by SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  much biased????????????

THAT is my EZ to see point

tobs54

Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 01:41:55 am
But tonight, the guys in stripes played judge and jury for us and decided the final for us tonight.

u are correct, but many... other than u & I think we should be able to overcome what the refs do, no matter than situation; which is CRAZY to think u can ALWAYS beat the refs AND the other team at THEIR house...

I never claim to be a genius.  However, if the officials were actually screwing us as bad as you guys state, would we have even made the run to get it close...NO.  All I know is that the Hogs came out flat and not ready to play.  Even after halftime, they were sloppy.  Sure they made a hell of a run to make it a game, but that was too little too late.

lunchbox72703

I don't know, I'm just bummin right now and my pride is hurt by the hogs loss.....but i DO believe the officiating sucked, no matter what our level of preperation for the game was.

tobs54

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 01:45:39 am
I don't know, I'm just bummin right now and my pride is hurt by the hogs loss.....but i DO believe the officiating sucked, no matter what our level of preperation for the game was.

I couldn't agree with you more about the hurt from the last few calls of the game that "put us under," but we still should have never had to rely on a drive to the basket and a call to bail us out.

sharx4

Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 01:45:18 am
Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 01:41:55 am

u are correct, but many... other than u & I think we should be able to overcome what the refs do, no matter than situation; which is CRAZY to think u can ALWAYS beat the refs AND the other team at THEIR house...

would we have even made the run to get it close...NO. 

holy dogshyte, we DID make it close..  WE LOST BY 2!

2 POINTS!

UNREAL MAN...         TWO   WHOLE   POINTS!

what the refs did during the entire game for ol'priss was worth volumes dude!

sigh*

dayum...

nevermind, u guys are right.. we shoulda won by 60  

(eventho' the refs gave ol'prix 20 pts on BS calls from tipoff)

WilsonHog

January 14, 2007, 01:50:12 am #18 Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:54:01 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 01:44:32 am

true...  however...  WE LOST BY 2 DAMN POINTS... how many did the refs give the webbels by SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  much biased????????????

And my "EZ to see point" is that people who whine about officiating do so because it's easier to do that than to focus on mistakes their team made that allowed officiating to decide the game. Removes all degree of personal responsibility; it's the ol' "we didn't lose..............our poor boys wuz robbed. We got cheated! Them refs were paid!" argument.     

It's the equivalent of the student who claims he got a poor grade in a class because the teacher didn't like him, or the employee who didn't get the promotion because his boss is out to get him.

tobs54

If they only gave ol' prix 20 and we shoulda won by 60, that still leaves us with a 42 point discrepancy in the game.

tobs54

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 01:50:12 am

And my "EZ to see point" is that people who whine about officiating do so because it's easier to do that than to focus on mistakes their team made that allowed officiating to decide the game. Removes all degree of personal responsibility; it's the ol' "we didn't lose..............our poor boys wuz robbed. We got cheated! Them refs were paid!" argument.     

Ding ding ding.  We have a winner.

sharx4

January 14, 2007, 01:53:50 am #21 Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 01:55:48 am by sharx4
Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 01:50:12 am

ur right, who am i to question u and others who feel the way do?

i mean, i... and many others on the planet who feel the way i do, are totally wrong.

ummm, ill try again.  i agree we weren't prepared/coached/ready for this game and we played like crap...

but for the flock of seagull's sake man, we lost by    T W O    points...

now consider how many you could takeaway from Old priss that the refs gave them on complete, utter, total , bs-onistic calls...

OMG...

tobs54

Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 01:53:50 am

ur right, who am i to question u and other swho feel the way do?

i mean, i.. and many others on the planet who feel the way i do, are totally wrong.

ummm, ill try again.  i agree we weren't prepared/coached/ready for this game and we played like crap...

but for the flock of seagull's sake man, we lost by   T W O    points...

now consider how many you could takeaway form Old priss that the refs gave them on complete, utter, total , bs-onistic calls...

OMG...

Dude, it's an internet forum.  You have just as much right as anybody else.  Quit your whining.

sharx4

Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 01:57:03 am
Dude, it's an internet forum.  You have just as much right as anybody else.  Quit your whining.

whining?  omg, me tryin to put  a point across is whining... ? 

what is what you are doing when u are tryin to suppress me and my opinion;  which is just what ur's is, an opinion...

WilsonHog

Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 01:58:46 am

whining?  omg, me tryin to put  apoint across is whining.. what is what you are doing when u are tryint o suppress em and my opinion;  which is just what ur's is, an opinion...

NO ONE IS TRYING TO SUPPRESS YOUR OPINION. YOU HAVE STATED YOUR OPINION SEVERAL TIMES OVER. IF IT BOTHERS YOU THAT THERE ARE RAZORBACK FANS WHO DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR OPINION, TOO BAD. GROW A SET OF BALLS AND DEAL WITH IT.   

tobs54

whining?  omg, me tryin to put  a point across is whining... ? 

what is what you are doing when u are tryin to suppress me and my opinion;  which is just what ur's is, an opinion...

Putting your point across is fine.  It's the pity party you are having about "who am I..." that is whining. 

Your point is completely correct however.  Everything you read here is all opinion.  Mine is no better or worse than yours and vice versa.  Get over it.

sharx4

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 02:01:28 am

whining?  omg, me tryin to put  apoint across is whining.. what is what you are doing when u are tryint o suppress em and my opinion;  which is just what ur's is, an opinion...

NO ONE IS TRYING TO SUPPRESS YOUR OPINION. YOU HAVE STATED YOUR OPINION SEVERAL TIMES OVER. IF IT BOTHERS YOU THAT THERE ARE RAZORBACK FANS WHO DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR OPINION, TOO BAD. GROW A SET OF BALLS AND DEAL WITH IT.   

oh, i have a set, but ur opinion is no better than mine.

opins are equal.

we lost by 2  points, the refs accounted for how many of the rebels points??

<Jeopardy theme playin'>  

ill help here... LOTS of them

tobs54

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 14, 2007, 02:03:49 am
Wilson,  Why are you being so nice?  Just asking....

Apparently he's been drinking. ;D

WilsonHog

Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 02:03:35 am

oh, i have a set, but ur opinion is no better than mine.

opins are equal.

we lost by 2  points, the refs accounted for how many of the rebels points??

<Jeopardy theme playin'>  

ill help here... LOTS of them

It isn't your opinion you need to be concerned with. It's your condescending tone toward others who don't agree with you, which will get you run.

sharx4

Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 02:04:51 am

and the fact i am having a "pity party".. which is total BS
'

we got screwed by the refs, period.

but hey, i'm justa a newbie who knows nothing and i'm a bad person who is having a "pity party"  in the opin of someone who doesnt even know me...

too funny.

Atreyu

We first got screwed by our own inability to play as a team.
HEYHEYHEY

hog.goblin

The bottom line is you can always say "what if" to a variety of things about the way we could have played if certain calls had or had not been made.  But it was one of the poorest officiating jobs I have seen in a long time.  How in the world that foul was not called when Ervin was hacked...that ref had to be on someone's payroll or never ref'd a game before.  Not to mention the charge on Bev...the Ole Miss player hadn't even thought about setting his feet. 

Did it cost us the game?  Who knows, a lot of things cost us the game and these calls were part of them.  I have always preferred football over basketball for this very reason.  I love BB, but refs can take over/impact a game like no other sport.

tobs54

Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 02:06:56 am
Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 02:04:51 am

and the fact i am having a "pity party".. which is total BS
'

we got screwed by the refs, period.

but hey, i'm justa a newbie who knows nothing and i'm a bad person who is having a "pity party"  in the opin of someone who doesnt even know me...

too funny.

You're right: I don't know you, so all I have to go on is what you are posting and it sound like a total pity party.  Sorry if you're offended, that's just how it comes across.

sharx4

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 02:06:05 am
It isn't your opinion you need to be concerned with. It's your condescending tone toward others who don't agree with you, which will get you run.

wow, and noone else's tone here has been condescending??

lunchbox72703

Hey sharx..I've been a member of this board for a while....and while I find it flattering that you are taking my side on this argument, in the end, it is a futile attempt.  I will eventually put my razorback pride aside and see the truth about the game....and you should follow.  But, as many on this board knows...i usually am blinded by pride for about 24 hours and then the truth finally sinks in. 

tobs54

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 02:10:00 am
Hey sharx..I've been a member of this board for a while....and while I find it flattering that you are taking my side on this argument, in the end, it is a futile attempt.  I will eventually put my razorback pride aside and see the truth about the game....and you should follow.  But, as many on this board knows...i usually am blinded by pride for about 24 hours and then the truth finally sinks in. 

Great words of wisdom.  Sometimes pride blinds the truth.

razor rob

Just another SEC team that played us well on their home floor.
Ole Miss won't even be in the game at the Bud.

tobs54

Quote from: razor rob on January 14, 2007, 02:12:26 am
Just another SEC team that played us well on their home floor.
Ole Miss won't even be in the game at the Bud.

And not because of the officiating, but because we would be prepared to play at home.

tobs54

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 14, 2007, 02:12:53 am

Oh, wait.....   Never mind...  that was a frat guy lighting his farts on fire.  It is still dark other then that.

Brilliant.

WilsonHog

One fact remains at the end of the day. We're 1-2 in the SEC when we should be 2-1.

If we're a bubble team when Selection Sunday rolls around, no one on the selection committee will slap his forehead and say, "Oh, hell! Remember that game against Ole Miss back in January? The officiating was HORRIBLE. We have to count that one as a win for Arkansas, gentlemen."

It was a loss against a team we should have handled easily.   

lunchbox72703

January 14, 2007, 02:15:39 am #40 Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 02:17:16 am by lunchbox72703
Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 02:11:35 am

Great words of wisdom.  Sometimes pride blinds the truth.

Well, although i mysterioulsy lost a great number of posts and was a former hogvillian......I am still wise to the sutuation of arkansas athletics.   Its like we're standing at the door, but some A-Hole bouncer is not letting us in based on the people/coaches with us.

sharx4

Quote from: PlasmaHog on January 14, 2007, 02:14:35 am
Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 02:09:40 am
Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 02:06:05 am

wow, and noone else's tone here has been condescending??

Shut the **** up!! How is that for condescending?

ummm, wow

lunchbox72703

I am Blinded by the Bright light of Intelligence from the HILL! 

Oh, wait.....   Never mind...  that was a frat guy lighting his farts on fire.  It is still dark other then that.

I love you man, but I am currently in photoshop trying to destroy you on jpeg!!!!  ;)

Atreyu

I don't understand how a team that routs the number 8 team in the nation can lose to a dog ass team like Ole Miss. Good ole Arkansas coaching for ya.
HEYHEYHEY

lunchbox72703

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 14, 2007, 02:23:46 am
Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 02:18:47 am
I am Blinded by the Bright light of Intelligence from the HILL! 

I love you man, but I am currently in photoshop trying to destroy you on jpeg!!!!  ;)
Ask Devicehigh??? to help.  He is pretty good.

Chappin my hide i see......don't you remember some of the lunchbox greats?  Hulk Houston?  Star wars Mitch?  T-shirts about copywrites? I see how this is.  I've been gone for a while and every annoints device to moderator status while they forget about little ol lunchbox.  THIS IS WAR, MAN, THIS IS WAR!!!!  ;)

(actually, I think he is very funny.....)
BUT THAT CHANGES NOTHING!!!!!

PlasmaHog

Quote from: Atreyu on January 14, 2007, 02:19:40 am
I don't understand how a team that routs the number 8 team in the nation can lose to a dog ass team like Ole Miss. Good ole Arkansas coaching for ya.

Easy to understand. NO focus, no intensity, no focus, no intensity.

Chad In Real Life

We turned the ball over 21 times. 

Our leading rebounder played 30 minutes and pulled down one rebound.

A team has some control over the number of turnovers it has. A team has some control over the number of boards it has. A team can control the number of quality possessions it has down the stretch.

A team cannot, however, control officiating.

I see your point and I dont normally complain about the officiating, but aside from the fact that we played badly. At the end of the game, WHEN IT MATTERED "WE" put ourselves in position to win. Your not always going to play a great game and thats just life and sometimes your gonna have games where "well you shouldnt have put yourself in the position" but that doesnt make up for a completely horrible no call foul that was GAME CHANGING on Gary Ervin.
Now again it was a GAME CHANGING call.  One of the worst calls ive seen all year, and I watch a ton of basketball.
Whether or not we had played badly up until that point is really irrelevant. We put ourselves in position to win and a VERY poor call by a ref completely changed the game.
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

razorbacks1usa

I WAS AT THE GAME AND THE REFS WAS BAD ON BOTH SIDES
CALLED ALOT OF BAC CALLS ON US AND THEM SO U CANT SAY THE REFS BEAT US
WE ACTED LIKE WE DIDNT EVEN WANT TO PLAY BALL TILL ABOUT HALF WAY IN THE 2ND HALF

Cornhogio

Lighten up, Francis...
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

tsturg8738

I didn't get to see the game, but I did listen to the end and it sounded like once we tied, we turned the ball over on three straight possessions.  Those turnovers sounded like the direct result of the refs not calling fouls.  I wonder how many of our 21 turnovers were the result of being mugged.  Much like several non-calls down the stretch against Florida.  I wonder how many rebounds were lost due to a Rebel jumping over the back and knocking the ball away.

I agree, to a point, that turnovers and rebounds can be controlled.  I have, however, played enough basketball to know that turnovers and missed rebounds are many times the direct result of a "no-call".