Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question on Transfer Elgibility

Started by 60Hog, March 16, 2015, 06:50:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

60Hog

A player is on the team 2 years and plays sparingly.  Beginning the following year he is told by the coach he is no longer on the team.  Does the player have to sit out a year if he goes to another school?  Both schools are Div. 1.

ricepig

Quote from: 60Hog on March 16, 2015, 06:50:03 pm
A player is on the team 2 years and plays sparingly.  Beginning the following year he is told by the coach he is no longer on the team.  Does the player have to sit out a year if he goes to another school?  Both schools are Div. 1.

Yes

60Hog

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2015, 07:25:12 pm
Yes

So if a coach kicks you off the team because you're not good enough for his team, then you can't go play for another team.  That really sounds fair.

ricepig

Quote from: 60Hog on March 16, 2015, 07:44:03 pm
So if a coach kicks you off the team because you're not good enough for his team, then you can't go play for another team.  That really sounds fair.

No, you can go play elsewhere, you just have to sit out a year at a D-I, no different than football or basketball. I guess you could play down a level, like the other sports.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: 60Hog on March 16, 2015, 07:44:03 pm
Check this out.
http://informedathlete.com/the-effect-of-new-scholarship-rules-in-division-i-baseball
Be sure to read the Q & A at the bottom.

booogaga

Thats why most of them go to a lower division or JUCO. They will not have to sit out.
GO HOGS!

Sueie

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2015, 08:26:17 pm
No, you can go play elsewhere, you just have to sit out a year at a D-I, no different than football or basketball. I guess you could play down a level, like the other sports.

Some of the football/basketball players have transferred and played at a D1 school the next year.  Just depends on whether the NCAA wants to grant that "waiver".  8)

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on March 18, 2015, 10:02:32 am
Some of the football/basketball players have transferred and played at a D1 school the next year.  Just depends on whether the NCAA wants to grant that "waiver".  8)

True, but that was going to take too much effort to type out, and then explain. I believe that due to the limited scholarship numbers, that players should be able to transfer and be eligible immediately, outside their conference.

Sueie

I think they should do like basketball. Let them play and also be ONE and DONE. If good enough.