Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re Thibodeau firing

Started by Hawg Red, May 28, 2015, 12:58:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

If Hoiberg takes that job, can Nick Babb just go ahead and come back?

I'm being facetious, but the thought did cross my mind.

BigSexyHog

Coach jackass Cal you're up
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

HOGINTENNESSEE

I think he can. Just like that kid from Rutger we recruited that went to Auburn and back to Rutgers.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/22385213/exrutgers-transfer-jerome-seagears-leaves-auburn-after-a-month

Hey, unlike when he left Qualls's wing spot is now open. And let's be honest we don't really have anyone to fill it.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 28, 2015, 12:58:39 pm

I like his physical ability but the more I have learned about his brother, who also transferred and how his dad isn't a MA fan, the more I think he should just stay gone.

All I mean by this is that there is a high likelihood for unhappiness toward a coach not mainly from him, but his dad. There was a poster on here who claimed to have spent some time around his dad and the man didn't give him the warm fuzzies about his opinion of our program.

If he isn't happy here, then he needs to move on. It's in the best interest of all parties involved.

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 28, 2015, 01:39:41 pm
I like his physical ability but the more I have learned about his brother, who also transferred and how his dad isn't a MA fan, the more I think he should just stay gone.

All I mean by this is that there is a high likelihood for unhappiness toward a coach not mainly from him, but his dad. There was a poster on here who claimed to have spent some time around his dad and the man didn't give him the warm fuzzies about his opinion of our program.

If he isn't happy here, then he needs to move on. It's in the best interest of all parties involved.

Why would he come back? So Mike can keep using him as a cattle prod to try to motivate others, by dangling the prospect of playing Babb, only to see him never get on the floor for 3 or 4 games, right after Mike would talk about how well he had been practicing and hard earned playing time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on May 28, 2015, 02:23:50 pm
Why would he come back? So Mike can keep using him as a cattle prod to try to motivate others, by dangling the prospect of playing Babb, only to see him never get on the floor for 3 or 4 games, right after Mike would talk about how well he had been practicing and hard earned playing time.

Holy run on sentence batman!  Take a deep breath .

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hogsanity on May 28, 2015, 02:23:50 pm

Do you ever have anything even remotely neutral to say about Anderson? We get it, you don't like him.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 28, 2015, 03:07:02 pm
Do you ever have anything even remotely neutral to say about Anderson? We get it, you don't like him.

True. But he does have a point. Babb was handled terribly last year. You could see early on in the season, Mike was giving him and Durham a chance to win that last guard spot. Durham played a little more steady early on and won the spot. But as the season went along, it became apparent Durham wasn't cutting it. But just when it was about to time to pull the plug on Durham, he would have a game where he'd flash some promise, yet pushing Babb back down.

Babb is going to prove to be a much bigger loss this offseason than people realize. People how have no vision and look strictly at stats will say he wasn't very good. But those who actually watched the games and observed him, saw that he was oozing with potential. He was a true 6'4"-6'5", has smooth ball handling skills, great length and athleticism on defense, and had a pretty good shooting stroke. What he lacked was confidence.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 28, 2015, 03:44:04 pm
True. But he does have a point. Babb was handled terribly last year. You could see early on in the season, Mike was giving him and Durham a chance to win that last guard spot. Durham played a little more steady early on and won the spot. But as the season went along, it became apparent Durham wasn't cutting it. But just when it was about to time to pull the plug on Durham, he would have a game where he'd flash some promise, yet pushing Babb back down.

Babb is going to prove to be a much bigger loss this offseason than people realize. People how have no vision and look strictly at stats will say he wasn't very good. But those who actually watched the games and observed him, saw that he was oozing with potential. He was a true 6'4"-6'5", has smooth ball handling skills, great length and athleticism on defense, and had a pretty good shooting stroke. What he lacked was confidence.

Spot. On.

Truly believe he would have started. Also, I believe that his decision had been made for a while and he didn't care if the opportunity to play more was there. If he did, he would have waited Qualls out, IMO. He'll end up being a pretty big loss because he's moved on but not to the pros. He'll show everyone that he's a good player at a school other than Arkansas, and that's what makes it a big, big loss. It's a shame.

But War Pigs did make a good point about Babb's family. I'm sure they're nice people, but his older brother transferred as well, and I do remember that poster that said he watched a Razorback game with the father earlier in the season. Just seems like the situation got past the point of return.

Hogimus Prime

Doubt Babb would comeback.  Can't blame him.  Babb was better than Bell, Durham and Watkins and he hardly saw any PT.  I know he lack confidence, but it's hard to get confidence when you don't get consistant minutes. I don't blame him for leaving.  He probably wouldn't have seen any many meaningful playint time this year either.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 28, 2015, 03:44:04 pm

It would have been great to have him back and I'm one that believed in his potential and that he'd have a shot to take over the two next season or play the three in 3 guard sets.

The key thing missing in all this, was what exactly was Babb like behind the scenes? The media pumped Mike for answers about him and he gave lip service. Babb could have easily hated Fayetteville from day one and knew he was going to transfer regardless of what happened. It's entirely possible Mike sensed something and in turn tried to stay positive about him, but didn't want to give him the minutes of someone staying in the program.

For all we know, Babb may have told Mike long before the official announcement, and we were simply unable to land those spring targets.

So much of what's posted on this board is complete guesswork and speculation, without any real inside knowledge of what occurred. We have an honorable coach who is always going to take the high road for his kids, thus we may never know what truly went on behind the scenes. If it's one thing about Mike I've always admired, it's the way he protects his players, making himself the easy target for media and fans.

Danny J

Would Cal be actually interested in the job? What about Bulls interest in him?

lefty08

The guy who never plays is always oooozing with potential.

Doubt hoiberg even gets a look with his health problems but who knows
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hawg Red

Hoiberg's health "problems" have been no secret and this was a planned operation, known to be needed years in advance.

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 28, 2015, 06:46:57 pm
Hoiberg's health "problems" have been no secret and this was a planned operation, known to be needed years in advance.

Yeah I'm aware of his surgeries. Doesn't mean it's not concerning to the pro teams
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

King Kong

Quote from: Danny J on May 28, 2015, 05:47:46 pm
Would Cal be actually interested in the job? What about Bulls interest in him?

Cal wants about 8 mill. I don't think the Bulls will pay that. Cleveland is the job to look out for. They offered him 8 last year and he passed because LeBron hasn't decided to go there at the time of the offer.

But if they lose the Finals there HC will be gone, mainly because LeBron doesn't like or respect him.

King Kong

Quote from: lefty08 on May 28, 2015, 06:52:49 pm
Yeah I'm aware of his surgeries. Doesn't mean it's not concerning to the pro teams

The Bulls for sure aren't scared they have made it known to every media back channel he is there #1 candidate.

T-Wolves would also hire him in a second.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on May 28, 2015, 07:12:13 pm
The Bulls for sure aren't scared they have made it known to every media back channel he is there #1 candidate.

T-Wolves would also hire him in a second.

That's everything I have read as well (Marc Stein, Gary Parrish, Jeff Goodman, Adrian Wojnarowski and Jon Rothstein)

azhog10

Quote from: lefty08 on May 28, 2015, 05:57:54 pm

CMA loves to try to win when better players are on the bench. Haven't you heard? Babb was a legend and Mike was holding him back from his soon to be NBA career.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 28, 2015, 06:46:57 pm
I had the same surgery. Fred will be better than before because of it.

Breems

A-men.

We saw nothing from Babb except a couple of garbage baskets and some dribbling.

His future is unknown to everyone.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

-Blu

LOL, I thought I was the only person thinking this...

Has that ever happened before?  A guy gets his release, then goes somewhere else, changes mind and comes back? 

Hawg Red

Jerome Seagears did it. Remember we recruited him, he picked Auburn and then ended up staying at Rutgers.

lefty08

Quote from: azhog10 on May 28, 2015, 08:51:33 pm
I had the same surgery. Fred will be better than before because of it.

I hope he is better. Just curious if you had a pacemaker in your 40s also

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 28, 2015, 09:40:34 pm
Jerome Seagears did it. Remember we recruited him, he picked Auburn and then ended up staying at Rutgers.

He sure did. The 3rd poster in this thread mentioned it as well

hogsanity

Quote from: Breems on May 28, 2015, 08:51:59 pm
A-men.

And 2 guys who played a lot in front of him could not even produce that. 1 was scared to shoot from more than a foot away, and the other was not afraid to shoot from anywhere, but should have been.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: lefty08 on May 28, 2015, 10:09:35 pm
I hope he is better. Just curious if you had a pacemaker in your 40s also
Im not 40. Had the surgery at 26, but didn't need a pacemaker. I am on blood thinners and will be the rest of my lifetime due to the mechanical valve.

WorfHog

A-men.

He's the next Stephen Curry and Mike chased him off because he burned too bright. He'll lead Iowa State to a NCAA championship, you'll see. ;)

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 28, 2015, 01:39:41 pm

Yeah, I think he figured that out many months before you did.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

lefty08

Quote from: azhog10 on May 29, 2015, 09:13:03 am
Im not 40. Had the surgery at 26, but didn't need a pacemaker. I am on blood thinners and will be the rest of my lifetime due to the mechanical valve.

I didn't mean that to be disrespectful. Just pointing to the fact that the one surgery isn't all the health issues he has.

I wish you the best with your situation

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on May 29, 2015, 04:25:15 pm
I didn't mean that to be disrespectful. Just pointing to the fact that the one surgery isn't all the health issues he has.

I wish you the best with your situation

But the greater point that you tried to argue was that you doubted he'd even get a look from the NBA but the Bulls job is his if he wants it. He has a standing offer to coach that team, pretty much. They're not scared off by his health problems.

husker71

the window is closing on the Bulls   

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 29, 2015, 04:41:42 pm
But the greater point that you tried to argue was that you doubted he'd even get a look from the NBA but the Bulls job is his if he wants it. He has a standing offer to coach that team, pretty much. They're not scared off by his health problems.

Yeah, that comment wasn't addressed to you. I wouldn't waste my breath apologizing to you thinking I might have offended you. You don't deserve my apologies, posts like the quoted one here proves it. If you're looking for a fight, go elsewhere.

My original comment was about the NBA teams being worried about his health. It was my opinion and I stand by that. I believe any company worth its salt would be too, especially in a high stress job like that.

It's ok if you don't agree, just take your macho responses elsewhere. I can't believe your still here to be honest

Hawg Red

elvis26

;D I believe the lakers will go after him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott7703

Hoiberg is the leading candidate and it has been pretty common knowledge paxson and co have wanted him long before Thibs fate was known.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 29, 2015, 04:41:42 pm
There is no way they are going to worry about the type of health problems Hoiberg has. If he gets to a point where he can't coach, then so what (business-wise)? Just hire a new coach.

mbgrulz

Quote from: husker71 on May 29, 2015, 05:26:26 pm
the window is closing on the Bulls   
You could be right, but the window was closing on the Spurs too. I realize that its a long way from a "pretty good" Bulls team to an all-time great dynasty in the Spurs, but if they make a move here or there, and get a steal in the draft, they could push that window back open some. Similar to the way Leonard did for SA.

bigdaddyhawg

A-men.

Babb is unknown??

But the kid from Kinnesaw St. and the transfer from Co. are STUDS!!  (Exaggeration for effect.)

Can you not see the double standard you are applying?

I know you know a lot about CBB, and therefore I know you know the truth about Babb -- that he was a talented player with very nice potential, though yet unrealized.  PLUS he was a big guard with the ability to play Mike's scheme very well.

You know we are going to find ourselves wishing he was still on this team at some point over the next three years.

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Breems

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 30, 2015, 03:58:31 pm
Babb is unknown??

But the kid from Kinnesaw St. and the transfer from Co. are STUDS!!  (Exaggeration for effect.)

Quote me. And there ends that wild attempt.

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 30, 2015, 03:58:31 pmI know you know a lot about CBB, and therefore I know you know the truth about Babb -- that he was a talented player with very nice potential, though yet unrealized.  PLUS he was a big guard with the ability to play Mike's scheme very well.

He made a couple of 3s and dribbled around. He also looked very timid while doing it.

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 30, 2015, 03:58:31 pmYou know we are going to find ourselves wishing he was still on this team at some point over the next three years.

If he is good, then we will wish he was still on the team. If he is not good, we will not wish he was still on the team.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

TheRazorbackGuy

HawgRed, Why didn't the Bulls just trade Thibodeau to the Nuggets for a 2nd rd pick?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Breems on May 30, 2015, 04:44:23 pm
Quote me. And there ends that wild attempt.

He made a couple of 3s and dribbled around. He also looked very timid while doing it.

If he is good, then we will wish he was still on the team. If he is not good, we will not wish he was still on the team.

I noticed you left out any reference to his defensive abilities.

WMHawgfan

I would have thought the Bulls learned their lesson the last time they swiped a coach from ISU.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WMHawgfan on June 01, 2015, 11:37:49 am
I would have thought the Bulls learned their lesson the last time they swiped a coach from ISU.

Try actually digging into the two coaches you're talking about and then see if you see a pretty big difference.

Hexametaphosph8

i will go on and say I do not think Babb will be an impact player at the high D-1 level.

I thought he always looked more than a little timid and lacked anything you could identify as the strength of his game.

That said, we didn't see a ton of him and I hope he does well

rlamb

I am not sure taking the Bulls head coaching was a good move. I don't think there talented enough to win it all

WorfHog

Quote from: rlamb on June 05, 2015, 10:53:17 pm
I am not sure taking the Bulls head coaching was a good move. I don't think there talented enough to win it all

I'd stay at the Bulls until Roy Williams retires and take the UNC job as their coming off the NCAA wrist slap they're about to receive.