Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State of the Hogs

Started by Thepigdoctor, May 20, 2015, 04:43:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on May 28, 2015, 01:18:10 pm
Not if he had just lost about 85% of the production and was relying on true freshmen to keep it going. If the Hog football team were to go 10-2 this season, but were going to be replacing JW, AC, BA, and 3 OL with true FR, no way would they be picked to win the SEC the next year, by anyone with any sense at all. Then, take it a tep further toward bball right now. IF the football team lost all of theta, and only signed enough new players to replace HALF of what was lost, it would be even worse.

That is what most of us see right now in bball. Lost Portis, Qualls, Madden, Harris, and Babb, yet only signed, to this point, 2 main players in Whitt and Kapita.

You are being generous in saying "most" see things your way. It is more a very whiney and vocal minority that see things your way.

Your analogy is poor as well. Do you really think the football team replaced 4 defensive draftees with 4 more for this season? I bet they didn't.

But I don't seem to be able to find anywhere that you are posting Chicken Little opinions about the state of the defense in football for this coming fall.

No one is picking the basketball team to win the SEC either. We are just saying, and rightly so, that it is way too early to be acting like we have ALREADY had a bad season in the manner yourself and "most" others are doing.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 28, 2015, 01:03:37 pm
I disagree with this, I was not a big fan of the CBB hire, didn't feel that his style matched up with our existing roster, and i think that has pretty well been evident. His recruiting has been nothing short of excellent from day one IMO. I have no worries about our roster in FB going forward.

The flip side was I was/am a huge fan of the MA hire, but I am concerned about next year and the roster going forward. The recruiting he has done until now, I was not blown away by, but I was not disappointed either. I am not disappointed this year with the 2 players we have got, I am disappointed we do not have at least 1 if not 2 more solid recruits landed by now. In year 5 we should be able to reload and not take a significant step back, what I think almost everyone's expectation for MA was when he came here.

The way the roster is currently built 2016 is a huge year in recruiting and there is top talent around that is interested. Will they still be interested after an 18-20 win season that lands us in or just missing the NIT? These are my concerns, the 27 win season we had is great, but that is over now, and we lost the core players that made it happen and we are very light on replacing them. Am I remotely thinking we need to be getting the torches and pitchforks out? Heck nah, but I am worried about the future.

There are  people that remember the HDN debacle, and the fact that because of who he was stayed a good 2 or 3 years longer than he should have, I am in that camp.
hammer meet nail
All Gas, No Brakes!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 28, 2015, 12:39:51 pm
So we JUST finished our best season in 20 years and MA is deserving of criticism?

I haven't seen the bad season yet. This is 2015 right?

If having the best season in the last 20 years justifies criticism, then I would hate to see this place if we have the best season in 30 years.

You're trying way, WAY too hard to defend Mike.

IMO, there is criticism that IS deserved for his impotent response to losing Portis and Qualls.  Yes, Whitt and Kapita is good.  But spin it however you like, but his response to those losses is NOT going to produce like we saw this year.

Besides, is last year to be the benchmark by which we now judge every basketball team going forward??

We used to having a higher standard than just making the tourney and beating a mediocre team.  Why isn't that still the standard?

Now, if Mike had produced a tourney team in year two or three, with a victory here or there, and this past year gave us two or three tourney wins, then HECK YES he'd have earned more slack for the current situation.  But he didn't.

The criticism is valid, not reactionary, not doom and gloom, not full of haterade, but it IS based on the team that will be put on the floor this fall.

I can see you and others wanting to be more optimistic than me about next year, but you are wrong to tell me I'm out of line for speaking the truth AS I SEE IT.

A year from now we'll know who was right.  If I am wrong, I'll have no problem coming on here and giving Mike full and appropriate KUDOS for achieving great results with such meager recruits.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Randy Johnson

So we JUST finished our best season in 20 years and MA is deserving of criticism?

If having the best season in the last 20 years justifies criticism, then I would hate to see this place if we have the best season in 30 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 28, 2015, 01:33:33 pm
You are being generous in saying "most" see things your way. It is more a very whiney and vocal minority that see things your way.

Your analogy is poor as well. Do you really think the football team replaced 4 defensive draftees with 4 more for this season? I bet they didn't.

But I don't seem to be able to find anywhere that you are posting Chicken Little opinions about the state of the defense in football for this coming fall.

No one is picking the basketball team to win the SEC either. We are just saying, and rightly so, that it is way too early to be acting like we have ALREADY had a bad season in the manner yourself and "most" others are doing.

The "most" referred to those not worshipping at the altar of Mike Anderson. Those who do not have a shrine to Mike in the closet of their bedrooms.

So you really do not think any criticism is warranted concerning the CURRENT state of the team? This is no where near the same team that won 27 games last year. The heart and soul of that team left with Portis. The spark left with Qualls. Some very valuable workman minutes left with Harris and Madden. However, that is not a reason for concern?  Why? Simply because Mike is the coach so all must be okay?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Letsroll1200

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 28, 2015, 01:47:52 pm
You're trying way, WAY too hard to defend Mike.

IMO, there is criticism that IS deserved for his impotent response to losing Portis and Qualls.  Yes, Whitt and Kapita is good.  But spin it however you like, but his response to those losses is NOT going to produce like we saw this year.

Besides, is last year to be the benchmark by which we now judge every basketball team going forward??

We used to having a higher standard than just making the tourney and beating a mediocre team.  Why isn't that still the standard?

Now, if Mike had produced a tourney team in year two or three, with a victory here or there, and this past year gave us two or three tourney wins, then HECK YES he'd have earned more slack for the current situation.  But he didn't.

The criticism is valid, not reactionary, not doom and gloom, not full of haterade, but it IS based on the team that will be put on the floor this fall.

I can see you and others wanting to be more optimistic than me about next year, but you are wrong to tell me I'm out of line for speaking the truth AS I SEE IT.

A year from now we'll know who was right.  If I am wrong, I'll have no problem coming on here and giving Mike full and appropriate KUDOS for achieving great results with such meager recruits.

I guess Greg Marshall should have been hired. You was uncertain about last season results after some adversity so can we expect you too post anything positive about Razorback basketball.

You wanted Greg Marshall to be hired at UofA if you had a dog in the fight. I want to remind you that it took Greg Marshall five years to get Wichita State to the NCAA tournament.

The team that Mike will put on the court this upcoming season will play hard and will be well coached. Will that lead to wins in the SEC? That remain to be seen! I for one think that team will be solid next season.

SexyBeast77

Quote from: Breems on May 28, 2015, 12:25:05 pm
I've never seen so much worry, gloom, and despair for a program that has improved so much.

WorfHog nailed it in this thread.

It's not like anyone was calling us gloom and doom no-hopers when we still had Poris and Qualls before the tournament started.

Quote from: Breems on March 07, 2015, 06:24:52 pm
We do not drive the ball to the hoop unless Qualls gets angry

Our guards pass around the perimeter and jack 3s. We really don't stand a chance in the postseason unless we're shooting well from 3.

The stagnant nature of our guards is what has bothered me all season. I'm not sure if they're being directed that way or if they just lack the skill to do it, but I lose a lot of sleep at night over it.

But what a coach. And what a recruiter.  Anyone that criticizes that guy is a hater and has an agenda and can go kick rocks. Give MA 8 years and he might make the sweet 16.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hogsanity on May 28, 2015, 02:18:50 pm
The "most" referred to those not worshipping at the altar of Mike Anderson. Those who do not have a shrine to Mike in the closet of their bedrooms.

So you really do not think any criticism is warranted concerning the CURRENT state of the team? This is no where near the same team that won 27 games last year. The heart and soul of that team left with Portis. The spark left with Qualls. Some very valuable workman minutes left with Harris and Madden. However, that is not a reason for concern?  Why? Simply because Mike is the coach so all must be okay?

Very few if any posters I've seen on here completely ignore that we haven't replaced everyone that left, there are simply a number of folks willing to see that we're bringing in two great players, and despite what we lost, still have some guys coming back that have great potential.

It's not that those arguing with you can't see what we lost, or worry about next season; it's simply that not everyone chooses to believe the plane has hit the mountain. We've got talent coming back and being added to the mix. Most of us would just like to see how things play out before we declare the season lost. Hell, I'd like to see half a season before I even consider judging the seasons merits.

Same group was around last year, crying over every loss, screaming the team and coach were horrible, and failing to acknowledge at any point that last year was a pretty special season. Very few teams in the country get to 27 wins in a year, a lot of big name programs have gone many years without having one.

latrops

The problem is that "our best season in 20 years" didn't even involve us getting through the first weekend of the NCAAT.  It was a good season, but simply not good enough to sustain enthusiasm in light of what all was lost in the weeks following the NCAAT.  Ultimately, most don't feel we've achieved enough of a high, yet, to allow for what appears to be an almost certain regression next year.  When CMA was hired, most at least hoped for, if not expected, more than 1 NCAAT or 1 NCAAT win through 4 or 5 seasons. 

Ideally, things go better than everyone expects next year.  It would be a shame for this year's success to not carry over to next year. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 28, 2015, 03:13:44 pm
Very few if any posters I've seen on here completely ignore that we haven't replaced everyone that left, there are simply a number of folks willing to see that we're bringing in two great players, and despite what we lost, still have some guys coming back that have great potential.

It's not that those arguing with you can't see what we lost, or worry about next season; it's simply that not everyone chooses to believe the plane has hit the mountain. We've got talent coming back and being added to the mix. Most of us would just like to see how things play out before we declare the season lost. Hell, I'd like to see half a season before I even consider judging the seasons merits.

Same group was around last year, crying over every loss, screaming the team and coach were horrible, and failing to acknowledge at any point that last year was a pretty special season. Very few teams in the country get to 27 wins in a year, a lot of big name programs have gone many years without having one.
If you see a 2nd round NCAAT boot as a "special season", you are part of the problem.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogsanity

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 28, 2015, 03:13:44 pm

24 other teams won at least 27 games last season, 10 more won 26, and another dozen or so won 25.

But, I have not seen anyone say last year was not a very good year. I won't call it special. Special seasons end in the final 4. Great season make the sweet 16.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 28, 2015, 02:46:53 pm
Anyone that criticizes that guy is a hater and has an agenda and can go kick rocks.

Anyone who has a shred of faith in that guy based on his past performance is over-the-top blind and would rather have him at the helm than win.

Glad we understand each other.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 28, 2015, 03:24:54 pm
If you see a 2nd round NCAAT boot as a "special season", you are part of the problem.

Based on the past 20 years, I do see a 27 win season and tournament win as special. It's all relative. No my expectation is not to make the tourney just once every 4-5 years, but I do realize that having the season we did, gives our players the spotlight and opportunity to move on to bigger things in basketball. Had we just barely improved last season, made the tourney as an 8-9 seed, I seriously doubt Qualls is even on the NBA radar. He performed well enough in the spotlight to give himself a shot at being drafted.

We aren't a perennial power and haven't been in many years, so I guess some of your heartache is tied to lofty expectations. I for one have seen a program continue to improve. We've yet to play a game and some have already declared next season a bust and projected huge regression.

hogsanity

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 28, 2015, 04:03:17 pm
Based on the past 20 years, I do see a 27 win season and tournament win as special. It's all relative. No my expectation is not to make the tourney just once every 4-5 years, but I do realize that having the season we did, gives our players the spotlight and opportunity to move on to bigger things in basketball. Had we just barely improved last season, made the tourney as an 8-9 seed, I seriously doubt Qualls is even on the NBA radar. He performed well enough in the spotlight to give himself a shot at being drafted.

We aren't a perennial power and haven't been in many years, so I guess some of your heartache is tied to lofty expectations. I for one have seen a program continue to improve. We've yet to play a game and some have already declared next season a bust and projected huge regression.

The seed had nothing to do with Qualls leaving or not. He and Portis were going to stand out on that team regardless. 8-9 seed would have meant those two got no help. the 5 seed was because they did get a little help from Madden, Harris, and especially Beard.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 28, 2015, 02:18:50 pm

Your Nutt- hugging days on Hogville preceded me by a few years, but do you still have shrine to Nutt in your bedroom closet?

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hogsanity on May 28, 2015, 04:37:35 pm
The seed had nothing to do with Qualls leaving or not. He and Portis were going to stand out on that team regardless. 8-9 seed would have meant those two got no help. the 5 seed was because they did get a little help from Madden, Harris, and especially Beard.

Our seed was a direct reflection of the season we had and thus the performance of our key players.

Let me ask this question, who gets the credit for Qualls going from a completely ignored 3 star, to a likely second round pick in 3 years?

Since I know Anderson can't coach up players, I'll assume this was entirely Qualls' hard work and dedication, overcoming his coach to succeed.

lefty08

It's ironic how the people complaining about recruiting are the same ones complaining about players leaving for the NBA early.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Deep Shoat

Quote from: lefty08 on May 28, 2015, 08:26:43 pm
It's ironic how the people complaining about recruiting are the same ones complaining about players leaving for the NBA early.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

No one is complaining about kids leaving early.  Some of us are complaining that kids were OBVIOUSLY leaving early, yet we have no plan to deal with that reality.

Reading comprehension is a good thing.
All Gas, No Brakes!

lefty08

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 28, 2015, 09:05:04 pm
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

No one is complaining about kids leaving early.  Some of us are complaining that kids were OBVIOUSLY leaving early, yet we have no plan to deal with that reality.

Reading comprehension is a good thing.

Nice try. I know exactly what that word means. It's exactly what I said it meant. Here's another one for you, hindsight is 20-20
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Randy Johnson

The state of the hogs would be an ascertainment of the present not a look at the history, somewhat like the State of the Union address. Where we are is where we want to be. Unless you want to rethink/reflect on the past, it's easy. As long as we continue to build one season, this one or that one, isn't really the worry.  We are on the right track and things have not looked this good in a long time. Don't worry be happy.

SexyBeast77

May 29, 2015, 06:40:17 am #170 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:57:13 am by SexyBeast77

I keep hearing this talking point being repeated. As if, the more it's said the the more it's true.  The accurate statement is, the most wins since the 94-95 season.
  But is this the "best season in 20 years" really? Again, Basketball determines its champion by the NCAA Tournament. So in the last 20 years we've won one game or more 4 times (the same or further as our "best season in 20 years)
    95/96 - Sweet 16
    97/98 - Second Round
    98/99 - Second Round
    07/08 - Second Round

I can't quite believe that.  That's a little bit depressing.  I can't be super excited about winning more regular season games, and not getting any further. And then, have a probable dip in recruiting and a down season.  I guess all things being equal it's better to have more regular season wins and reaching the same tournament level, but it's kind of a small, non-exciting, paper win to me.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 29, 2015, 06:40:17 am
I keep hearing this talking point being repeated. As if, the more it's said the the more it's true...

...And then, have a probable dip in recruiting and a down season. 

The thing about repeating something over and over until it becomes true cuts both ways, but at least those who are optimistic don't have to rely only speculation or prediction; they can talk about what actually happened and what we can actually observe.

Just remember that a dip in recruiting this year means the same number of 4 star guys as the past few years, and 1 or 2 (probable) grad transfer/JUCOs instead of a 3 star and a JUCO.  Plus we added a transfer like we have every year since Harris, and the only transfer that hasn't worked out was battling an injury.

Also a dip in results next year doesn't automatically mean a missed NCAAT, it could just be a lower seed. As long as we get in that's progress for the program, because back to back appearances haven't happened in awhile, as you noted.

hogsanity

Quote from: lefty08 on May 28, 2015, 08:26:43 pm

I am not upset about players leaving early, it happens. I know it, you know it, and I assume Mike Anderson knows it. The only difference is, you don't have to plan for it, I don't have to plan for, and apparently Mike did not think he needed to plan for it either.

It appears his whole plan was ride Portis and Qualls, win a bunch of games, make the ncaat to make everyone feel good, get a pass for 2015/16 and then pray really hard he can get Monk for one season in 16/17 to hopefully make a run at another really good year, then rebuild again.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on May 29, 2015, 08:08:08 am
I am not upset about players leaving early, it happens. I know it, you know it, and I assume Mike Anderson knows it. The only difference is, you don't have to plan for it, I don't have to plan for, and apparently Mike did not think he needed to plan for it either.

It appears his whole plan was ride Portis and Qualls, win a bunch of games, make the ncaat to make everyone feel good, get a pass for 2015/16 and then pray really hard he can get Monk for one season in 16/17 to hopefully make a run at another really good year, then rebuild again.

Monk isn't going to make or break this team if he doesn't come. We have a shot at a few really good recruits outside of Monk coming in 2016 and the probable core of Beard, Kingsley, Kapita and Whitt has plenty of talent.  This idea that losing Qualls and Portis to the NBA has completely decimated our chances for a good year is unfounded. Kentucky, LSU and Florida will also be relying heavily on Freshmen talent next year.

wheelspigharvey

Your assessment of the "plan" assumes that Mike has never had a clue how to put a roster together and just rolls the dice from year to year, so let me offer the opposite idea for others to ponder:

Mike has known for awhile that this recruiting year could play out like it has and the reason he hasn't appeared to be in "scramble" mode is that he trusts the guys who are on the roster or committed to do what they came to do and play some basketball. 

This season is not without precedent, remember his '08-'09 Mizzou team.  I'm not saying we're going to the Elite 8, but if the past predicts the future, then that's in the man's favor.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 28, 2015, 02:35:18 pm
I guess Greg Marshall should have been hired. You was uncertain about last season results after some adversity so can we expect you too post anything positive about Razorback basketball.

You wanted Greg Marshall to be hired at UofA if you had a dog in the fight. I want to remind you that it took Greg Marshall five years to get Wichita State to the NCAA tournament.

The team that Mike will put on the court this upcoming season will play hard and will be well coached. Will that lead to wins in the SEC? That remain to be seen! I for one think that team will be solid next season.

I thought Greg Marshall was the best coach for our job at that time, based strictly on coaching ability.  And I said that at the time.

But I knew the truth: Jeff Long had one and only one real choice IF Mike wanted the job.  It's just what had to be.  And I said THAT at the time.

I also said at the time I thought Mike was a good coach, but not a great coach.  I think his time here at this point proves me to be correct.

But I'm not a Mike hater.  And I'm not a Greg Marshall lover.  I'm not sure he's a great coach.  I believe he's a very good coach, and I would have like to see what he could do at the UA, because I think he could have taken us to a top 10 perennial program.

But Mike is our coach and I'm fine with that.  I want him to recruit better, that's my main issue right now.  I love Whitt, but I'm not as sold on Kapita being the player most believe him to be, but time will tell.  But Mike and his staff have been doing a lot of striking out lately on kids we really needed, and I find that a significant concern.

I think those who look at recent recruiting and are NOT bothered by what has happened are committed to wearing those rose colored glasses no matter what.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 29, 2015, 08:29:08 am
Monk isn't going to make or break this team if he doesn't come. We have a shot at a few really good recruits outside of Monk coming in 2016 and the probable core of Beard, Kingsley, Kapita and Whitt has plenty of talent.  This idea that losing Qualls and Portis to the NBA has completely decimated our chances for a good year is unfounded. Kentucky, LSU and Florida will also be relying heavily on Freshmen talent next year.

If, and I say IF, Monk does not come, Mike would then be facing losing the best in state talent since Corliss or Johnson AND having to do something he has not been very successful at-- going out of state and away from kids of friends or family and landing top 50 player(s).

Monk may not be a must get for on court performance, but in the eyes of many it will be a huge failure by Mike Anderson not to get him.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 29, 2015, 09:09:10 am
If, and I say IF, Monk does not come, Mike would then be facing losing the best in state talent since Corliss or Johnson AND having to do something he has not been very successful at-- going out of state and away from kids of friends or family and landing top 50 player(s).

Monk may not be a must get for on court performance, but in the eyes of many it will be a huge failure by Mike Anderson not to get him.
And I'm sure you'll be leading the charge.

southarkhog06

The real question is; what is the state of Jump Ball? Has it replaced MMQB as the Hogville board that is the most unreadable whith the lowest avg poster IQ?

hogsanity

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 29, 2015, 09:19:34 am
And I'm sure you'll be leading the charge.

Nah, there is no real point to that, Mike is here until Mike does not want to be here, and many are happy still basking in the warm recent afterglow of 1994.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on May 29, 2015, 09:34:25 am
Nah, there is no real point to that, Mike is here until Mike does not want to be here, and many are happy still basking in the warm recent afterglow of 1994.

So if he hadn't already done two rebuilds at two schools prior to this one we'd still be clamoring for him and defending him?  If he hadn't been clearly, in-arguably, improving here each year we'd all be OK with that too?

PonderinHog

That certainly beats simmering in your own Nutt sauce.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on May 29, 2015, 09:09:10 am

If MA fails to land Monk it will be a disappointment to many and a failure to a few.

GlassofSwine

The only people I see living in the afterglow of 1994 are the critics who think that 1 NC in school history somehow means we should be a perennial contender.

hogsanity

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 29, 2015, 09:38:57 am
So if he hadn't already done two rebuilds at two schools prior to this one we'd still be clamoring for him and defending him?  If he hadn't been clearly, in-arguably, improving here each year we'd all be OK with that too?

All, no, but many, yes.

Look, I knew a long time ago that at some point Mike HAD to be hired here. I was not opposed to that, except for what comes with it. All the looking back, reminiscing, holding on to the past. But, above that, was knowing that as long as he did not have back to back losing seasons, or some sort of scandal ( which Mike has never nor would ever condone or be part of based on his history ), that Mike pretty much could not be fired. I expected him, after his 1st two years, to usually be around the ncaat bubble, and every so often have a team that won a couple, maybe even 3, ncaat games.

I have said it before, he is a good coach, not bad, not great, but good. My whole feeling on it though is that there were lots of good coaches out there, none of which came with all the baggage, good or bad, that Mike did. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 29, 2015, 09:47:15 am
The only people I see living in the afterglow of 1994 are the critics who think that 1 NC in school history somehow means we should be a perennial contender.
While overlooking the 2015 season, the steady improvement on the court and in the classroom over the last four years, not to mention the individual achievements of Portis and Qualls.  And the soon to be completed practice facility.

Yeah, we're doomed.

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 29, 2015, 09:47:15 am

Perennial contender? I do not think that. I do think the Hogs should be in the ncaat 8 out of 10 years, and at least two of those should result in making the sweet 16. If that bar is too high, why have a program at all?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on May 29, 2015, 10:01:15 am
Perennial contender? I do not think that. I do think the Hogs should be in the ncaat 8 out of 10 years, and at least two of those should result in making the sweet 16. If that bar is too high, why have a program at all?

I think that is a low bar to set. Based on your previous comments, I hardly think you will be happy with 2 Sweet sixteens every 10 years. I won't be.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogsanity on May 29, 2015, 09:50:49 am
I expected him, after his 1st two years, to usually be around the ncaat bubble, and every so often have a team that won a couple, maybe even 3, ncaat games.

Well Mike hasn't been anywhere long enough for us to truly determine what he can do after a program has been established.  I have no idea whether we'll win an NCAAT with him but put me down for at least one  Final Four before it's all over.

Agree to disagree there I guess.

SexyBeast77

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 29, 2015, 07:36:38 am
The thing about repeating something over and over until it becomes true cuts both ways, but at least those who are optimistic don't have to rely only speculation or prediction; they can talk about what actually happened and what we can actually observe.

Except the fact that we just lost 2/3 of our scoring. Your spin isn't very convincing. It relies on current players making huge improvements and new players getting off to a flying start. A pessimistic view here is more realistic and fact based.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 29, 2015, 10:10:08 am
Except the fact that we just lost 2/3 of our scoring. Your spin isn't very convincing. It relies on current players making huge improvements and new players getting off to a flying start. A pessimistic view here is more realistic and fact based.

Except that scoring is the easiest stat on the court to replace.

wheelspigharvey

Or we could rely more on sound defense as opposed to simply outscoring the opponent. 

Also remember that on this very board people wondered how we'd replace BJ and Marshawn's scoring and we did.  This is a much bigger hurdle, but Mike has addressed this issue before, at this school.  Past behavior predicts.

WorfHog

Mike sounded pretty excited and confidant for this team in the interviews I listened to from the SEC Spring Meetings. Said the team will be more guard focused, which are how his best teams are usually built. I think they missed on a few guys Mike would have liked to bring here, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a plan. It only really appears that way if you have an agenda.

I don't have an agenda, I just want the Hogs to be successful and nothing Mike has done makes me think they won't continue to be going forward. My expectations are to make the tournament regularly.  If you can do that you'll have a shot at a special season every year because anything can happen come March. 

Except it doesn't require players to make "huge" improvements.  We just need a couple of guys to make the same improvement Portis and Qualls made during last offseason. I outlined it in another post so I'm not going to do it again, but it's not the dire situation you "objective realists" think it is. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 29, 2015, 10:15:52 am
Can't even to begin to describe how much fail is in that statement. SMH

SexyBeast77

May 29, 2015, 11:01:27 am #194 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:15:41 am by SexyBeast77
Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 29, 2015, 10:15:52 am

BREAKING NEWS
  Portis, Qualls, Madden and Harris did other things other than score. All that needs to be replaced

PPlayer           GP   MIN    PPG   RPG   APG   SPG   BPG   TPG   FG%   FT%   3P%
Bobby Portis     36  29.9   17.5   8.9   1.2     1.1     1.4   1.6    .536   .737     .467
Michael Qualls   36   30.2 15.9   5.3   1.7    0.9     0.5   1.7    .436     .775     .333
Rashad Madden 36   27.2   9.6   3.7   4.6     0.8    0.1   2.3    .424      .862   .377
Alandise Harris   35   21.4   7.6   3.3   1.5    0.8    1.0   1.2    .475      .722   .281

GlassofSwine

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 29, 2015, 11:01:27 am
BREAKING NEWS
  Portis, Qualls, Madden and Harris did other things other than score. All that needs to be replaced

Player           GP   MIN    PPG   RPG   APG   SPG   BPG   TPG   FG%   FT%     3P%
Bobby Portis   36   29.9   17.5   8.9   1.2   1.1   1.4   1.6   .536    .737     .467
Michael Qualls   36   30.2   15.9   5.3   1.7   0.9   0.5   1.7   .436     .775     .333
Rashad Madden   36   27.2   9.6   3.7   4.6   0.8   0.1   2.3   .424    .862      .377
Alandise Harris   35   21.4   7.6   3.3   1.5   0.8   1.0   1.2   .475    .722      .281

Breaking News: That is exactly what my statement implied and why I called you out for mentioning scoring.

SexyBeast77

Sooooooooooo,
  Doubt about much of next season is not fact based, because there are other things than scoring that need to be replaced. Got it.
  Known: All of the above is lost
Unknown: New players coming in that have never played for us before and players we expect exponential growth from.

Unknown is more fact based than the known. Got it.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 29, 2015, 10:40:41 am
Can't even to begin to describe how much fail is in that statement. SMH

Except that you would be wrong. the 2011-12 team lost 4 of 5 starters and a 2/3rds of their scoring and averaged 1 more point a game. The 2013-14 team also lost close to 2/3rds of their scoring, the highest returning scorer was Coty Clarke. They proceeded to average 6 pts a game better.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GlassofSwine on May 29, 2015, 09:46:09 am
  If MA fails to land Monk it will be a disappointment to many and a failure to a few.

IF Monk is a one and done, it's not really a big deal one way or another.

IF he's a kid that might stay three, then I think it is a big deal.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: SexyBeast77 on May 29, 2015, 11:09:42 am
Sooooooooooo,
  Doubt about much of next season is not fact based, because there are other things than scoring that need to be replaced. Got it.
  Known: All of the above is lost
Unknown: New players coming in that have never played for us before and players we expect exponential growth from.

Unknown is more fact based than the known. Got it.

I didn't state any of the above statements. Just called you out for your ignorant one that solely focused on scoring.