yes
no

Turminator

Just a simple question, and do you think he has what it takes

Hawg Red

Turminator

UNCLE BACK

PorkRinds

Poll should have an option for "I'm not answering because this is the dumbest question in the history of internet questions".  Oh, and you left off frito pie as an option.

Dr. Starcs

Now listen here Turdinator.

(Guess autocorrect got me too)

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2015, 09:30:02 am
Poll should have an option for "I'm not answering because this is the dumbest question in the history of internet questions".  Oh, and you left off frito pie as an option.

The question isn't a dumb one. That could eventually happen but I very seriously doubt that Jeff Long will be looking for a men's head coach any time soon. Mike Anderson is doing a good job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Turminator on May 19, 2015, 09:15:56 am

Kind of a butt hole kind of question.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on May 19, 2015, 11:42:49 am
The question isn't a dumb one. That could eventually happen but I very seriously doubt that Jeff Long will be looking for a men's head coach any time soon. Mike Anderson is doing a good job.

No, it's a dumb one. First of all, even if Mike were fired tomorrow CJD would not be hired as men's head coach.  What would it say about the value we put on our Women's programs if we hired the new WBB coach to suddenly coach men?  Not only that, talking about Mike's replacement at this point is completely dumb too.  He's no where close to being fired and won't be for a while if ever.  When and if he leaves, we will hopefully hire a proven MEN'S basketball coach with a good track record in the men's game.  CJD will not likely be in the conversation.  That said, I've always thought the WBB job was actually grooming CJD to take over for Long when he leaves as AD. 

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 19, 2015, 11:59:51 am
No, it's a dumb one. First of all, even if Mike were fired tomorrow CJD would not be hired as men's head coach.  What would it say about the value we put on our Women's programs if we hired the new WBB coach to suddenly coach men?  Not only that, talking about Mike's replacement at this point is completely dumb too.  He's no where close to being fired and won't be for a while if ever.  When and if he leaves, we will hopefully hire a proven MEN'S basketball coach with a good track record in the men's game.  CJD will not likely be in the conversation.  That said, I've always thought the WBB job was actually grooming CJD to take over for Long when he leaves as AD. 

Say what you want, but IMHO if Jimmy Dykes takes the women's basketball to a higher level than it's ever been before, he'll definitely be considered for the men's job should Mike leave. To not consider him in that situation would be asinine. As I said though, Mike isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

That being said, I like the AD suggestion you made.

sickboy

Agree with the PR move. You can't move your women's coach over to men's ball. All that shows is that you don't take women's basketball seriously.

MountieDawg

Maybe like a small high school and he can coach both.... YES, Worst poll ever!
SEC!

HF#1

Personally, I don't think there is a job out there that Jimmy Dykes couldn't handle and have success at.  He's that good of a basketball mind imo
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lstewart

Really two different issues. The poll asked if we thought he would be the next men's coach. Answer there is no, for a number of reasons. Now... if the question is "could he be successful as the men's coach if given a chance", I would say yes. Two very different questions..... Dykes is about the same age as Anderson, so not like he has lots of time to go back and prove himself as a head coach, to then move over into the men's program years from now. Also could probably do a good job as AD, and that would be more likely than coaching the men's team..... but also probably not likely unless he moved into an associate AD position for a few years first.

GuvHog

Quote from: lstewart on May 19, 2015, 03:01:57 pm
Really two different issues. The poll asked if we thought he would be the next men's coach. Answer there is no, for a number of reasons. Now... if the question is "could he be successful as the men's coach if given a chance", I would say yes. Two very different questions..... Dykes is about the same age as Anderson, so not like he has lots of time to go back and prove himself as a head coach, to then move over into the men's program years from now. Also could probably do a good job as AD, and that would be more likely than coaching the men's team..... but also probably not likely unless he moved into an associate AD position for a few years first.

Actually Mike Anderson is 2 years older than Jimmy Dykes.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Turminator on May 19, 2015, 09:15:56 am
You asked two questions.  I answered the first one in the poll.  No, Jimmy Dykes will not be the next Men's BB coach for the Hogs.

Question two, does he have what it takes, I answer yes.
All Gas, No Brakes!

TomBigBeeHog

I didn't bother to vote because the poll has no value.

However, if we are going to start looking at hiring a coach from the women's ranks, I'd try Geno at UCONN. Seriously though, has any major D1 school men's basketball team ever considered hiring a women's basketball team coach?

Besides, if we would ever try such a thing, look out for the blow back when some other more successful women's' coaches (who are actually women) don't get the job or maybe weren't considered. Love to see that presser. That is a trail that I would prefer that we not blaze.

I could go on but the answer is emphatically, NO. No disrespect to Jimmy, I liked the guy before he even became our coach. But no way, no how.

As to the second part of the question, yes I think he has what it takes to be successful as a men's D1 coach. No problem there.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

z1on

Has there ever been one coach from women's basketball jump to the men's game as HC at the college level? I can't think of one.

If Dykes had been hired as the men's coach at Eastern Illinois (or wherever) I could see the progression.  But not from the women's game to the men's.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Granny

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 19, 2015, 01:50:19 pm
Say what you want, but IMHO if Jimmy Dykes takes the women's basketball to a higher level than it's ever been before, he'll definitely be considered for the men's job should Mike leave. To not consider him in that situation would be asinine. As I said though, Mike isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

That being said, I like the AD suggestion you made.

Name ONE women's coach that has successfully transferred over to coach a P5 men's basketball team...................I'll not hold my breath.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 19, 2015, 03:28:42 pm

Thus the word "ABOUT" the same age is appropriate......................and maybe why he used it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Inhogswetrust

I've always thought the WBB job was actually grooming CJD to take over for Long when he leaves as AD. 

Why would you say that? Extremely unlikely......................In this day and age you need to hire someone at that level that already has college administrative experience. If you think hiring from within is the way to go then there are other people at the UA (or Foundation even) that are much more qualified for that job than Jimmy.

Inhogswetrust

razortv

husker71

Truthfully do you think Summit or Gino have/were every offered any Div 1 mens job????   Maybe somebody made a comment about hiring them but never a serious job offer maybe not even a serious interview.

Porked Tongue

secfan30

Quote from: GuvHog on May 19, 2015, 03:28:42 pm

... He did not say the same age, he said about.

Curious why this poll is here. Are we looking 10 years in the future or 2? Anderson not only has won more games each year over year, he has never had a losing season. How many of our head coaches can say that?

Mike Irwin

I'm starting to think that a good number of people starting threads in this forum just fell off the back of a turnip truck.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 20, 2015, 10:46:45 am
I'm starting to think that a good number of people starting threads in this forum just fell off the back of a turnip truck.

More like escaped from the mental hospital!

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 19, 2015, 07:00:51 pm
Thus the word "ABOUT" the same age is appropriate......................and maybe why he used it.

I absolutely agree. I was just helping him out by posting the actual age difference.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 20, 2015, 10:53:46 am
I absolutely agree. I was just helping him out by posting the actual age difference.

OK. But I don't think he needed your help in that regard.

cbhawg03

jesterzzn

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 19, 2015, 09:18:27 am
I don't even know who Jimmy Dukes is.
I think he's the guy that broke Chong Li's record?

Locutus_of_Boar

If you asked Jeff Long which head coaching positions were the 2nd & 3rd most important (not most expensive) to fill with the right coach at Arkansas do you honestly think he'd include either men's or women's basketball jobs in the top 3?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on May 20, 2015, 06:47:04 pm
If you asked Jeff Long which head coaching positions were the 2nd & 3rd most important (not most expensive) to fill with the right coach at Arkansas do you honestly think he'd include either men's or women's basketball jobs in the top 3?

Men's yes.

nextlevel

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on May 20, 2015, 06:47:04 pm

Football will always be the most important for schools in the South.

Men's Basketball will always be the second most important for these same schools.

Baseball would be the third, again for schools in the south.

Women's basketball would trump baseball for several schools across the country for third.

Why? Revenue.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Dirty

jesterzzn

The real question should be "When Dykes takes over as the Men's Head Coach will he bring his best Lady's Team players with him?
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

The_Bionic_Pig

Jimmy Dykes wants a national title for the Ladybacks or at the very least become a major player each year. 

Jeff Long wants a "UCONNISH" type situation with both men's & women's program's elite.

In saying all that if Mike were to retire in the next 8-10 yrs and has elevated the basketball program in the process to say top 10-15 consistent status....I suspect the replacement would either come from inside (current asst. coach/player) or a already established winner like MA was before his arrival
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

(notOM)Rebel123

May 24, 2015, 07:09:40 pm #43 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:02:54 am by (notOM)Rebel123

They may have been riding on the truck, but that doesn't mean they dug up the turnips. This isn't as far off-base as some think. A lot would have to happen, but don't think it hasn't been thought of by some who carry some weight.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jgphillips3

It's not impossible.  It is improbable.  Because it is "will he" instead of "could he", I have to play the odds and vote no.

WarPig88

Personally, I thought Long hiring Dykes was a move of pure genius.

Dykes has always whined about the way Nolan coached and his style. That carried through to the MA days as well.

I have personally heard Dykes disparage the Hog program on the air by saying that Hog fans were posers compared to the Kentucky faithful. He was more proud of his assistant coaching days at Kentucky than he was his playing days at Fayetteville.

When Long hired him, he got a critical alum off the air and also made him put his money where his mouth was by actually becoming a coach. He also banished him to obscurity by making him the women's coach.

There aren't a lot of women's coaches that go on to coach at major men's programs. Win/Win for Long, especially if Dykes continues to be successful.

nextlevel

Dykes was critical of Nolan and Mike the same way some on this board are, they are so superior in their knowledge of the game they make the claim a pill headed drunk was a superior coach than a Naismith HOF HC and they actually believe it.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell