Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's left?

Started by RacinRazorback, May 14, 2015, 07:03:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RacinRazorback

Any decent recruits left (beside K Allen)? I hate to see us waste scholarships just to fill the bench. With Whitt and Kapita we have a decent class, it just would have been nice to see a couple more impact players on the team. Next year looks to be a step back. Were we not prepared to lose 2 players to the NBA?

PonderinHog

Just gonna have to ride this process out, I guess.

UNCLE BACK

I think Whitt is going to the best guard we have had in a very long time. If we get KA then they quite possibly could be about the best freshmen guard Tandem in the SEC. Kingsley has to step up and Jacorey. We should be a NIT team this year even if KA doesn't come. I think if he does, we could be a tourney team.

TexArkHogFan

Don't forget, these guys are still just freshmen.  Unless they are five star studs who will be a lottery pick, it takes time for most freshmen to develop into true contenders.  There will be growing pains. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TNhawgfan

Quote from: RacinRazorback on May 14, 2015, 07:03:20 am
Were we not prepared to lose 2 players to the NBA?
I honestly think the coaches believed one or both of them would return
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

HOGINTENNESSEE

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 14, 2015, 07:13:46 am
I think Whitt is going to the best guard we have had in a very long time. If we get KA then they quite possibly could be about the best freshmen guard Tandem in the SEC. Kingsley has to step up and Jacorey. We should be a NIT team this year even if KA doesn't come. I think if he does, we could be a tourney team.

Agreed

TheRazorbackGuy

I say sit back and ignore all the seniors and look forward to the elite juniors in next years class

hawg1221

SCRAPS!! That's all folks! Except for a few that we don't have any chance of getting. We DO have a chance at KA.

hogman99

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on May 14, 2015, 09:23:43 am
Don't forget, these guys are still just freshmen.  Unless they are five star studs who will be a lottery pick, it takes time for most freshmen to develop into true contenders.  There will be growing pains.

More excuses!

hogman99

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 14, 2015, 11:26:48 am
I say sit back and ignore all the seniors and look forward to the elite juniors in next years class

Because this staff has been cracker jack recruiters?  The only top ranked players they have gotten have either been the following:

1. Related or real good friends to the staff
2. Players who already wanted to be Hogs
3. Were injured and others backed off

Get ready for an average next few years.

Tusks

Quote from: hogman99 on May 14, 2015, 02:25:44 pm
Because this staff has been cracker jack recruiters?  The only top ranked players they have gotten have either been the following:

1. Related or real good friends to the staff
2. Players who already wanted to be Hogs
3. Were injured and others backed off

Get ready for an average next few years.

sounds like you don't expect much from the program under MA. 
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogman99

May 14, 2015, 03:49:44 pm #13 Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:28:20 pm by hogman99
Quote from: tusked on May 14, 2015, 03:15:41 pm

sounds like you don't expect much from the program under MA.

From watching games the past 4 years, I don't see them making us an elite program. They will be average and will pull off the occasional upset, but will not be a consistant top 50 program.  I hope I am wrong, but past history shows different.  Too many good coaches and elite recruiters in the conference to battle that are moving forward.  CMA can make adjustments to enhance our chances of being elite and we will soon see if he does.

Compare next year's roster with Nolan's 5th year.  Just in case you dont want to look it up here are a few players on that team: Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, Ron Huery, Lindsey Howell, Arlin Bowers, Darrell Hawkins and Mario Credit.  You will see a huge difference in talent and skillset.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogman99 on May 14, 2015, 02:22:40 pm
More excuses!

A rebuilding year in 2016 is a valid excuse

razortv

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 14, 2015, 09:01:53 pm

A rebuilding year in year 5 of the current staff. Yeah, that is what we all expected to happen. I'm not sure if you are serious or just playing with posters.  If it's the first then you must be Sunshine Rick.

NLRHog92

Coaches have airballed completely after BP and MQ left... Wish they would have had a better back up plan. Understand not many prospects left in this class, we're in on a lot of highly rated guys next year, but look at a grad transfer at least. Have to field a decent team with wont bodies down low next year to keep any kind of momentum going, rebuilding or not...

Pork Twain

The only thing that bothers me is that other schools seem to have back-up plans in place and are able to sign quality players after their players declare, but we are not.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogman99

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 15, 2015, 08:01:11 am
The only thing that bothers me is that other schools seem to have back-up plans in place and are able to sign quality players after their players declare, but we are not.

Agree and that is a huge concern. Our staff appears to be in a reactive mode vs. proactive. 

daprospecta

I'm in no way giving Mike a pass. He should have had a backup plan but let's be honest.  Arkansas basketball does not have the cache that schools like Duke,Kansas,UNC etc currently have.  I think we are regaining notoriety but how can anybody expect us to consistently land high level talent?  We have two top 75(Whitt 75, Kapita 40) recruits coming in and we are trying for a 3*.  Let the staff do their job guys.  Remember many thought we were a fringe tourney team last year to start the season?  Just relax and let Mike earn his big salary.

hogman99

Quote from: daprospecta on May 15, 2015, 08:14:47 am
I'm in no way giving Mike a pass. He should have had a backup plan but let's be honest.  Arkansas basketball does not have the cache that schools like Duke,Kansas,UNC etc currently have.  I think we are regaining notoriety but how can anybody expect us to consistently land high level talent?  We have two top 75(Whitt 75, Kapita 40) recruits coming in and we are trying for a 3*.  Let the staff do their job guys.  Remember many thought we were a fringe tourney team last year to start the season?  Just relax and let Mike earn his big salary.

That's the issue, as you say "we don't have the cache of Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc", then don't pay him like we do.  That top 20 salary means we should be a top 20 team.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogman99 on May 14, 2015, 03:49:44 pm
From watching games the past 4 years, I don't see them making us an elite program. They will be average and will pull off the occasional upset, but will not be a consistant top 50 program.  I hope I am wrong, but past history shows different.  Too many good coaches and elite recruiters in the conference to battle that are moving forward.  CMA can make adjustments to enhance our chances of being elite and we will soon see if he does.

Compare next year's roster with Nolan's 5th year.  Just in case you dont want to look it up here are a few players on that team: Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, Ron Huery, Lindsey Howell, Arlin Bowers, Darrell Hawkins and Mario Credit.  You will see a huge difference in talent and skillset.

With Portis and Qualls going early I definitely agree that next year will be a rebuilding year.   I think with so many young guys playing huge roles we will be very up and down and maybe wear completely out by Post season play. 

Unless CMA can pull some recruiting magic  this recruiting period by bringing in some older scorers this team will have troubles scoring.

With so many kids declaring early BB coaches must be ready and have lots of good offers out there for top recruits just in case this happens.  We apparently were not. 

Hogimus Prime

Nothing that's what is left.   The Hogs have swung and missed.  Couldn't get a visit from a kid that at one time was supposedly high on the Hogs.

Next yeat won't be good.  Half of the team will be 6'3" or shorter.  The frontcourt is a big question mark.  The two freshman coming will help.  Next year's team will bet killed by teams that have tall swingmen.  Kinda like Nolan's last year

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on May 15, 2015, 08:53:32 am
Nothing that's what is left.   The Hogs have swung and missed.  Couldn't get a visit from a kid that at one time was supposedly high on the Hogs.

Next yeat won't be good.  Half of the team will be 6'3" or shorter.  The frontcourt is a big question mark.  The two freshman coming will help.  Next year's team will bet killed by teams that have tall swingmen.  Kinda like Nolan's last year
Jacorey will have to be what we thought he could be when we recruited him...

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 15, 2015, 08:54:30 am

That is scary.  He has the talent too, but not sure he does between the ears

lefty08

Let's not confuse not having a plan with not executing the plan. The fact others have signed a doesn't mean their plan was better
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on May 15, 2015, 08:58:02 am
That is scary.  He has the talent too, but not sure he does between the ears
If he has talent, I haven't seen much of it.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 15, 2015, 08:54:30 am
Well Jacorey was supposed to be a big 3 with skills like Qualls, I don't see that happening if he stayed another 8 years. Top 150 player that was a swing and a miss. He can play a role on this team, but he was supposed to be star quality. Because he lacks the skills, we try to play him as a 4 and gets killed down low on defense and in rebounding. Not to mention the seemingly TO per minute played.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 14, 2015, 09:01:53 pm

Unreasonable. We only lost two players to the NBA draft, both of which at worst were 50/50 on coming back. Mike should have had two five star players waiting patiently for him to call and offer the spot.

/sarcasm off

Look at UK. Cal knew damn good and well he'd likely lose 5+ kids, more likely up to 8 before Poythress blew his knee. He's scrambling to fill roster spots though, and he's supposed to be the end all be all in recruiting.

Some of you have expectations that are so out there, you should consider seeking a vasectomy because I cringe to think of what you'll demand from your children in life.

hogsanity

Quote from: razortv on May 14, 2015, 09:07:20 pm
A rebuilding year in year 5 of the current staff. Yeah, that is what we all expected to happen.

It is exactly what a few of us predicted when MA was 1st hired.  Of course we were called haters, and told to shut up. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lefty08

Quote from: hogsanity on May 15, 2015, 10:06:54 am
It is exactly what a few of us predicted when MA was 1st hired.  Of course we were called haters, and told to shut up.

Please don't make us say those things again
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

PorkRinds

Shut up, hater.  ;)

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: hogman99 on May 15, 2015, 08:28:31 am
That's the issue, as you say "we don't have the cache of Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc", then don't pay him like we do.  That top 20 salary means we should be a top 20 team.

AP Poll good enough?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 15, 2015, 10:03:49 am
Look at UK. Cal knew damn good and well he'd likely lose 5+ kids, more likely up to 8 before Poythress blew his knee. He's scrambling to fill roster spots though, and he's supposed to be the end all be all in recruiting.

Some of you have expectations that are so out there, you should consider seeking a vasectomy because I cringe to think of what you'll demand from your children in life.
Yeah UK will really struggle, trade their roster/signees with ours plus, Tennesse, Missouri, Mississippi squared and a couple of others right now. With their 2 top 5 recruits, and 3 top 50 right now and they will add 3 or 4 more of the top 50, they are really going to struggle!

No they won't struggle that is why they are an elite program, it is about talent and filling your needs. We aren't getting it done. Could we, I hold out the slimmest of hopes, it doesn't look good. KA falls in our lap that will help tremendously, but still need a athletic 3/4 player to be complete IMO, if Thomas was immediately eligible we would be on the right track IMO.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 15, 2015, 10:42:47 am
Yeah UK will really struggle, trade their roster/signees with ours plus, Tennesse, Missouri, Mississippi squared and a couple of others right now. With their 2 top 5 recruits, and 3 top 50 right now and they will add 3 or 4 more of the top 50, they are really going to struggle!

No they won't struggle that is why they are an elite program, it is about talent and filling your needs. We aren't getting it done. Could we, I hold out the slimmest of hopes, it doesn't look good. KA falls in our lap that will help tremendously, but still need a athletic 3/4 player to be complete IMO, if Thomas was immediately eligible we would be on the right track IMO.

Where the hell are they going to find these 3-4 other top 50 recruits? Newsflash, there aren't that many even left for UK to sweep, and if you haven't been paying attention, UK has offered at least 2 3 star players in the last month. They've missed on every major target they had since the season ended. Keep on trying to knock our staff with your inaccurate assertions that they are the only ones struggling to land top talent.

We've landed two excellent kids, who were highly sought after, but that's just an afterthought isn't it? Certainly not good enough to continue to build off of. Two top 50-60 recruits and you act like we've got no one coming in. If we can get Allen, it'll be one of the better classes in Arkansas history, as all three players are ranked as four star kids by every service out there.

Guess that's not good enough and you demand we land nothing but 5 star players, because of course that's been the norm for Arkansas basketball throughout time. 

UNCLE BACK

Is there anyone who might think that Cal is going to go after KA as soon as he is avail. Anybody been looking at Kentuckys board about that very thing??? If Cal kis looking, wouldn't KA be the best avail?

-Blu

So, you predicted we'd have the best season in 20 years and then lose our 2 best players, and miss out on a couple of decent replacements in the Spring period?  Nice!

And I don't think anybody is thrilled the way recruiting is going on right now, I think most agree we could be doing better, I'm frustrated with it myself. But to ignore the best season we've had in 20 years and act like the program is in complete shambles because Spring recruiting isn't going the way we want right now is the reason nobody takes anything you say seriously.  Just be patient and see how the Spring ends, more likely than not we'll add at least 1 more impact type player, whether it KA, a JUCO, or some other under the radar guy that we haven't heard of yet.

The_Iceman

I'm just kind of curious, what teams are doing great in the Spring period?

How many other teams when into April with a full roster, had their two best players declare for the draft, and then sign a couple of highly recruited players? (or a situation similar) Just wondering...

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 15, 2015, 11:02:27 am

How many other teams when into April with a full roster, had their two best players declare for the draft, and then sign a couple of highly recruited players? (or a situation similar) Just wondering...

Duke. That's it. Only school that actually reloaded in the Spring period after losing their top players.

A couple other have signed elite recruits, but none that lost what we did. Those were teams that had openings all along and had been in the recruits top choices all along (like California, Indiana, who both picked up top 25 recruits).

So all 365 or some odd schools other than Duke who actually reloaded, would be failing in Hogville's eyes. Tough crowd.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 15, 2015, 11:02:27 am

LSU situation was similar, they lost their 2 best players, had some open spots in the Spring and filled them with elite talent pretty quick.

And there's a few more teams that come to mind that have improved their roster this Spring, but I'll stick with just our league...   If your looking at it from a "stars" standpoint LSU has had the best Spring in the league by far.  But, I'm most impressed by Tennessee, while they didn't get the most highly rated guys, they got some really good recruits for the state their program is in right now.  Miss State and Alabama have all had good Spring periods as well.  Kentucky by their standards hasn't done well, but by anyone else's they've had a solid Spring.

I would say at this point we've had the worse Spring period of anyone in the SEC.  We lost 2 all SEC guys and yet to really replace them.  There's still time, but options are running out.

And I'm not trying to be like some and say it's doom and gloom time, CMA has done nothing but improve every year he's been here and shown he can do more with less, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with Spring recruiting up to this point.  With a new practice facility, the great year we just had, putting 2 guys in the league, we should be in a much better position right now than what we are.

Kevin

We could be nc state  and have 6 spots left
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cresthog

How easily people forget Cal and UK went to the NIT in year 4.

hogman99

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 15, 2015, 10:51:28 am
Where the hell are they going to find these 3-4 other top 50 recruits? Newsflash, there aren't that many even left for UK to sweep, and if you haven't been paying attention, UK has offered at least 2 3 star players in the last month. They've missed on every major target they had since the season ended. Keep on trying to knock our staff with your inaccurate assertions that they are the only ones struggling to land top talent.

We've landed two excellent kids, who were highly sought after, but that's just an afterthought isn't it? Certainly not good enough to continue to build off of. Two top 50-60 recruits and you act like we've got no one coming in. If we can get Allen, it'll be one of the better classes in Arkansas history, as all three players are ranked as four star kids by every service out there.

Guess that's not good enough and you demand we land nothing but 5 star players, because of course that's been the norm for Arkansas basketball throughout time.
They will be fine, with their #1 , 2, or 3 recruitng class, Maybe they won't get Maker, or Swanigan etc. but I wouldn't bet against them.

No our problem is not with who we got so far, our problem is our remaining talent outside of a handful of players is questionable at best. We have 1 who will not contribute this year in Thomas, We have 1 project player in Thompson, and We have 2 wasted scholarships IMO on the roster.

We signed 2 really good players, one of which may struggle to even be in physical condition to contribute. We lost 5 players off our roster, and we are pretty much trying to find "New" recruits to replace them, when most of your recruits should be players you have known for years. Do I think we should be going head to head with the blue bloods right now? heck no! I don't care about stars and ratings, the staff should know the guys that will fit our scheme, like a qualls, and have them on the hook.

5 lost + 2 sub-par players + 1 definitely unknown project +1 non contributing transfer= 9 holes on your roster IMO. We have signed 2 players +1 transfer to fill that void, and scrambling to fill some of the rest. I don't know what you all are looking for, but I am looking to be back to where Arkansas Basketball should be according to my life experience as a fan. This scrambling to fill a roster that is highly questionable is frustrating.

Kevin

Quote from: Cresthog on May 15, 2015, 11:28:07 am
How easily people forget Cal and UK went to the NIT in year 4.

1st year elite eight
2nd year final four
3rd year national championship

If Anderson ever had that kind of run, the. He can miss the tournament a couple of years in a row.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

lefty08

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2015, 11:55:46 am
1st year elite eight
2nd year final four

If Anderson ever had that kind of run, the. He can miss the tournament a couple of years in a row.

Funny you say that at this time, but I guarantee you if he had that run and the missed the tourney "a few times" the same guys would be wanting his head

Cresthog

Quote from: Kevin on May 15, 2015, 11:55:46 am
1st year elite eight
2nd year final four

You know damn well half the board would say "inexcusable" if Mike were to do that.

My point is even NBA U has a rebuild every now and then.

Everyone does besides Duke and Kansas. Look what Florida did this year.

We're nowhere near the level where we should think the NCAA is a lock every single year.

Kevin

Quote from: lefty08 on May 15, 2015, 12:02:53 pm
Funny you say that at this time, but I guarantee you if he had that run and the missed the tourney "a few times" the same guys would be wanting his head

When the hogs accomplish it, and lose about 6 guys to the nba, then remind me to chill out for a couple of years

hawginbigd1

I am a diehard fan, and lover all things razorback. Glad MA is back home where he should never have left.

Above is my post from March 2011, I am the opposite of the so-called MA Haters, but I have been disappointed with recruiting all year. Kapita took the sting off some, and I thought we were pretty well lined up to get Dixson, who for whatever reason we didn't want or he really wasn't that into us. Thomas helped a little but does nothing for next year.
I challenge anyone to find a negative post about CBB and staffs recruiting from me, you won't find it. You won't find one about MA and staffs recruiting until this year, but this year they have done a very poor job IMO.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on May 15, 2015, 11:19:34 am
LSU situation was similar, they lost their 2 best players, had some open spots in the Spring and filled them with elite talent pretty quick.

And there's a few more teams that come to mind that have improved their roster this Spring, but I'll stick with just our league...   If your looking at it from a "stars" standpoint LSU has had the best Spring in the league by far.  But, I'm most impressed by Tennessee, while they didn't get the most highly rated guys, they got some really good recruits for the state their program is in right now.  Miss State and Alabama have all had good Spring periods as well.  Kentucky by their standards hasn't done well, but by anyone else's they've had a solid Spring.

I would say at this point we've had the worse Spring period of anyone in the SEC.  We lost 2 all SEC guys and yet to really replace them.  There's still time, but options are running out.

And I'm not trying to be like some and say it's doom and gloom time, CMA has done nothing but improve every year he's been here and shown he can do more with less, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with Spring recruiting up to this point.  With a new practice facility, the great year we just had, putting 2 guys in the league, we should be in a much better position right now than what we are.

LSU has had Simmons and Blakeney committed before they had departures. The only addition they've had late is a 4-star guard from Baton Rouge.