Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grad Transfer Willy Kouassi

Started by -Blu, April 19, 2015, 10:15:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Every now and then, I swing by Jump Ball just to see if it's as bad as others say it is.

It is.

Hawg Red

Quote from: sloot on June 03, 2015, 01:21:32 am
Why can't you tell them that a scholarship will be available for them? If they're better than some players we currently have, then you cut loose those players and aid them in landing elsewhere. Tell the kid, "If you commit to/sign with us, we'll make sure a scholarship is available for you." The whole the numbers will work itself out spiel.

I'm in agreement with you. I'm sure others will disagree because they're old school, but people need to start opening their eyes to what's really going on in college basketball right now.

If you're Anderson, you knew you were losing two seniors. You went out and got two very good players to fill those spots, down to the exact positions. Great. But it doesn't end there, despite whatever indications you're getting. After those two seniors, you have players with overt aspirations to play in the NBA (or at least professionally in one case). One of those players has roundly been labeled a potential lottery pick since the day he announced he was coming back for his sophomore season after his freshman season. That never changed to this day. Also, you've lost at least one player to transfer each year at Arkansas (and probably the last few years at Missouri). I don't think anyone here has the time (I know I don't), and maybe it's out here on the internet somewhere, but I'd love see the numbers on transfers, by year, for each Power 5 school (even for each mid-major). I'd venture a gut-feeling guess that it's somewhere around 85% of Power 5 schools have at least one player transfer per year. Staggering odds. That's just the culture in college basketball right now. There's being something like 1,100-1,300 transfers in D1 basketball the last two years combined. You have to account for that. So, between the possibility of 1-2 players going pro and someone transferring, it would have been completely reasonable, logical, and even needed to recruit a 3rd signee before the late period.

So now let's talk about if, by some miracle, every single player chooses to return for next season (which would never happen). You have a player in Keaton Miles who just graduated and couldn't get off the bench last season. Do we really think that would change if Portis and Qualls came back? With Kingsley, Kapita, and Trey Thompson needing minutes. With JaCorey Williams still in front of him? People may think this is cold, but I think it's actually the opposite -- you sit down and tell that kid he needs to go find somewhere he can actually play for his last and final season of college basketball. I'm of the opinion that once a kid graduates, your obligation to him as been fulfilled. He's had 4 years in college already. It's not like you're taking some freshman or sophomore's scholarship (which has happened here, BTW). Mike would have handled it well and with class, and there's no way recruiting relationships are strained in that scenario. I'm sure Keaton Miles is smart enough to know where he stands and what's in front of him.

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 07:45:35 am
I'm in agreement with you. I'm sure others will disagree because they're old school, but people need to start opening their eyes to what's really going on in college basketball right now.

If you're Anderson, you knew you were losing two seniors. You went out and got two very good players to fill those spots, down to the exact positions. Great. But it doesn't end there, despite whatever indications you're getting. After those two seniors, you have players with overt aspirations to play in the NBA (or at least professionally in one case). One of those players has roundly been labeled a potential lottery pick since the day he announced he was coming back for his sophomore season after his freshman season. That never changed to this day. Also, you've lost at least one player to transfer each year at Arkansas (and probably the last few years at Missouri). I don't think anyone here has the time (I know I don't), and maybe it's out here on the internet somewhere, but I'd love see the numbers on transfers, by year, for each Power 5 school (even for each mid-major). I'd venture a gut-feeling guess that it's somewhere around 85% of Power 5 schools have at least one player transfer per year. Staggering odds. That's just the culture in college basketball right now. There's being something like 1,100-1,300 transfers in D1 basketball the last two years combined. You have to account for that. So, between the possibility of 1-2 players going pro and someone transferring, it would have been completely reasonable, logical, and even needed to recruit a 3rd signee before the late period.

So now let's talk about if, by some miracle, every single player chooses to return for next season (which would never happen). You have a player in Keaton Miles who just graduated and couldn't get off the bench last season. Do we really think that would change if Portis and Qualls came back? With Kingsley, Kapita, and Trey Thompson needing minutes. With JaCorey Williams still in front of him? People may think this is cold, but I think it's actually the opposite -- you sit down and tell that kid he needs to go find somewhere he can actually play for his last and final season of college basketball. I'm of the opinion that once a kid graduates, your obligation to him as been fulfilled. He's had 4 years in college already. It's not like you're taking some freshman or sophomore's scholarship (which has happened here, BTW). Mike would have handled it well and with class, and there's no way recruiting relationships are strained in that scenario. I'm sure Keaton Miles is smart enough to know where he stands and what's in front of him.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is what if Mike thinks Miles can be a big part of what We do next year and doesn't want to cut him loose?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hawg Red

Quote from: lefty08 on June 03, 2015, 08:33:28 am
Something that hasn't been mentioned is what if Mike thinks Miles can be a big part of what We do next year and doesn't want to cut him loose?

Looking at Miles' body of work as a college athlete, how likely do you think that is? How good could he possibly be for one year? Better than Kapita or a top 100-150 player with 4 years of eligibility? Better than JaCorey and/or Trey? He was ahead of Trey on the bench but 3 years older. Trey's received much more public praise than Miles from Anderson. And to that point, Mike's comments on Miles after the season or late in the season do not support the thought that Mike would think he's going to be a big part of what we do next year. Maybe he is now, but that's by default since we haven't signed anyone immediately eligible in the late period.

ArkansasI

I want to apologize now for bringing this up again... but, Kevaughn Allen has concerned me most during the aftermath of the Exodus.

When Donovan headed to OKC, the clouds of the late signing period despair broke for a few days as I began envisioning Kevaughn, Jimmy and Anton forming a competitive backcourt trio that would give fans something to look forward to watching in 2015-16 as the program continues to grow.

Instead, rather than play for adoring fans clammoring for his signature in his home state, Kevaughn decided he would rather play for the new guy at Florida.  How little must the Arkansas coaching staff have done to embrace this young man that he prefers to travel halfway across the country to play for a man he met over a weekend?

I've read here that Kevaughn is a good kid that may have been surrounded by handlers.  Mike had an opportunity to offer his control over the situation.  Mike's idea of controlling the situation was to allow the young man to live with his commitment.  Supposedly, if Kevaughn would reopen his recruiting, then Mike would have recruited him again.

When Kevaughn delayed his signing, I took that as a message to all interested that he was still open.  Maybe that wasn't the message Kevaughn was sending.  And maybe the staff did recruit Kevaughn this spring and I don't know it.

Whatever actually happened, it appeared that Mike let Kevaughn go after he committed to Florida.  It's Mike's program and he can do what he wants.  But I would not be so passive.  I think this is especially true when dealing with Arkansas kids.

Many of us have pretty fragile egos.  If Kevaughn asked Mike to stop recruiting him, then I get it.  Otherwise, I don't.

True or not, Kevaughn's decision to be a Gator appeared to go beyond just wanting to go out of state.  And that's too bad for Kevaughn and Arkansas.

Hawg Red

Another point to consider in the whole "over-signing" debate is how the Nick Babb thing went down. The more I think it about, the more it becomes clear that this was a decision made well before the end of the season. The reason I think this is because Nick did not even wait to see what happened with Qualls, and Mike said the reason Babb was transferring was to get more playing time. Something just doesn't add up. Could be that Mike felt Babb wasn't going to cut it, but if that's the case, even more reason to sign a 3rd player before the late period.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 02, 2015, 10:36:15 pm
Seriously ? You think Mike Anderson called up Allen or used a third party to offer him during that period where he claimed he was going to ask for his release?

That would be insane. I certainly believe Anderson would have offered Allen had the kid obtained his release and contacted Anderson. But to jump the gun would have been totally nuts. The NCAA catches you doing that you're absolutely not going to get him plus you get yourself in hot water.

Yeah, there's cheating going on but that kind of cheating would be flat stupid. It's way to easy to just wait for his release.

So you're saying there was ZERO contact with ANYONE in the KA camp during that time he was contemplating decommitting from Florida?? To guage what his options were IF he left Florida?

I can't see that at all.  Put yourself into that situation: wouldn't you want to know what your options were if you chose to go elsewhere BEFORE you made that decision?

I see you're talking about the formality of an offer and a UA staff member talking to KA during that time, and that is against the rules, and I understand that wouldn't happen, but I simply can't see there weren't some back channel discussions with someone else that would not conflict with any NCAA rules.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ArkansasI

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 03, 2015, 09:28:03 am
So you're saying there was ZERO contact with ANYONE in the KA camp during that time he was contemplating decommitting from Florida?? To guage what his options were IF he left Florida?

I can't see that at all.  Put yourself into that situation: wouldn't you want to know what your options were if you chose to go elsewhere BEFORE you made that decision?

I see you're talking about the formality of an offer and a UA staff member talking to KA during that time, and that is against the rules, and I understand that wouldn't happen, but I simply can't see there weren't some back channel discussions with someone else that would not conflict with any NCAA rules.

I don't think you have to work this hard to figure things out.  When Billy went to OKC, Kevaughn knew that the Hogs had 3 new openings - Portis, Qualls and Babb.  He had to know that there was plenty of room for himself on the Hill.  This board was pretty lathered up about the prospects.

Yet, rather than open up the possibilities, Kevaughn committed to the new man in Gainesville.  It's not like Florida had any leverage on him.  Kevaughn could have always re-committed to the Gators, but he didn't even bother to let any coach from any other program talk to him.

Perhaps Kevaughn is very committed to his fellow classmates down there.  For me, it was a clear signal that the Arkansas staff had done nothing to endear themselves to Kevaughn - we weren't an option even when the coaching staff left Florida.

That's a head scratcher for me.

fineswine

Quote from: ArkansasI on June 03, 2015, 09:41:07 am
I don't think you have to work this hard to figure things out.  When Billy went to OKC, Kevaughn knew that the Hogs had 3 new openings - Portis, Qualls and Babb.  He had to know that there was plenty of room for himself on the Hill.  This board was pretty lathered up about the prospects.

Yet, rather than open up the possibilities, Kevaughn committed to the new man in Gainesville.  It's not like Florida had any leverage on him.  Kevaughn could have always re-committed to the Gators, but he didn't even bother to let any coach from any other program talk to him.

Perhaps Kevaughn is very committed to his fellow classmates down there.  For me, it was a clear signal that the Arkansas staff had done nothing to endear themselves to Kevaughn - we weren't an option even when the coaching staff left Florida.

Agreed.  None of this staff's cheering section wants to address this.  I think it's time for the UA's marketing team to rebrand basketball as "The fastest 40 excuses".

bigdaddyhawg

Maybe so.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

-Blu

Quote from: fineswine on June 03, 2015, 09:53:52 am
Agreed.  None of this staff's cheering section wants to address this.  I think it's time for the UA's marketing team to rebrand basketball as "The fastest 40 excuses".

Can you post a link to CMA or anyone on his staff making excuses for anything?

It's amazing too me how negative and how many of you enjoy taking shots at the staff, when they are coming off of the best season this school has had in 20 years.  On top of that this staff is very likely to get 2 guys drafted this year.  When's the last time Arkansas has had 2 players drafted in one year?  So obviously they know more about recruiting and development of players than some of you "experts" that have all the answers. 

And It's nothing wrong with being disappointed with how the late period has gone in recruiting so far, but some of you are just being ridiculous and using it as an excuse to spew your agenda driven non-sense. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: -Blu on June 03, 2015, 10:03:52 am
Can you post a link to CMA or anyone on his staff making excuses for anything?

Come on, man!  He said "this staff's CHEERING SECTION".  He didn't say a word about MA or his staff making excuses.

He was talking about you making excuses.  To your credit, you've been energetic and enthusiastic in that effort.

Quote from: -Blu on June 03, 2015, 10:03:52 am
And It's nothing wrong with being disappointed with how the late period has gone in recruiting so far ...

Thank you!!  We agree on this!!

poloprince

So now KA threads are being hidden inside other threads ???
$PoLoPrInCe$

jjdlc

Quote from: fineswine on June 03, 2015, 09:53:52 am

I haven't seen anyone claim that CMA didn't whiff on KA before his commitment/signing with Florida.  He most definitely did. 

The current off-topic discussion going on in this thread, and most other threads concerning BB recruiting for that matter, is about the the late signing period, after KA had already signed with Florida.  CMA and co. never got the chance to recruit him as he never asked for nor received a release from Florida.  It's not an excuse, it's simply fact.

ArkansasI

Quote from: jjdlc on June 03, 2015, 11:37:31 am
I haven't seen anyone claim that CMA didn't whiff on KA before his commitment/signing with Florida.  He most definitely did. 

The current off-topic discussion going on in this thread, and most other threads concerning BB recruiting for that matter, is about the the late signing period, after KA had already signed with Florida.  CMA and co. never got the chance to recruit him as he never asked for nor received a release from Florida.  It's not an excuse, it's simply fact.
Well, we agree.  All I was suggesting is it is a very sad fact.

I am disappointed that Arkansas did nothing prior to Kevaugn's signing with Florida that would motivate him to re-open discussions with our staff after Billy went to OKC.

You can rationalize this every which way you want.  And I'm not hating on Mike - because it is what it is.  But Kevaughn Allen - the No. 1 recruit in Arkansas - felt more comfortable sticking with an entirely new staff at Florida than decommiting to open discussions to talk with the Hogs.

It's not like Coach K, Rick Pitino or Bill Self took over at Florida.  This is concerning to me.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Tom Bennett on June 03, 2015, 06:36:59 am
Every now and then, I swing by Jump Ball just to see if it's as bad as others say it is.

It is.

I click on this thread to see if there is anything new about Willy as it keeps popping up as the most recent thread posted.  And, 99 percent of the time, this responses have absolutely nothing to do about Willy.  I belong to a songwriting forum and they have a policy that if anyone posts off topic, posts are deleted.  Jump Ball would do well to adopt that policy.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

-Blu

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on June 03, 2015, 12:55:10 pm
I click on this thread to see if there is anything new about Willy as it keeps popping up as the most recent thread posted.  And, 99 percent of the time, this responses have absolutely nothing to do about Willy.  I belong to a songwriting forum and they have a policy that if anyone posts off topic, posts are deleted.  Jump Ball would do well to adopt that policy.

I agree, it's getting kinda ridiculous that any thread about a recruit gets turned into a "let's point out everything wrong with the staff thread".  I must admit I'm guilty for even entertaining it, but the ignorance is so hard to ignore.

Here's a civil thread about Willy Kouassi
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=593559.0

jjdlc

Quote from: ArkansasI on June 03, 2015, 12:49:08 pm
Well, we agree.  All I was suggesting is it is a very sad fact.

I am disappointed that Arkansas did nothing prior to Kevaugn's signing with Florida that would motivate him to re-open discussions with our staff after Billy went to OKC.

You can rationalize this every which way you want.  And I'm not hating on Mike - because it is what it is.  But Kevaughn Allen - the No. 1 recruit in Arkansas - felt more comfortable sticking with an entirely new staff at Florida than decommiting to open discussions to talk with the Hogs.

It's not like Coach K, Rick Pitino or Bill Self took over at Florida.  This is concerning to me.

The fact that he chose to stay with Florida in general is baffling, regardless if he had no interest in Arkansas or not.  There were several other good programs out there with open scholarships that would have been all over him had he gotten a release.  One thing I wonder is if he found out that the obscure SEC rule everyone was talking about at the time would have kept him from going to another SEC school so he just decided to stick with Florida?  Or maybe he just fell in love with the new staff.  Who knows. 

Back to Willy, I think bringing him in for one year couldn't hurt, seems like a good defender, and I can see him being a benefit.

HoopS

Quote from: -Blu on June 03, 2015, 01:01:28 pm
I agree, it's getting kinda ridiculous that any thread about a recruit gets turned into a "let's point out everything wrong with the staff thread".  I must admit I'm guilty for even entertaining it, but the ignorance is so hard to ignore.

I really don't even have an issue with those who continue to point out what they feel are shortcomings. The main issue I have is it is done daily. It sucks the life out of this place. I don't enjoy even coming around to read anything because it is a 100% chance that the same handful of posters will make sure to let us all know MA isn't getting things done as they want it.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: poloprince on June 03, 2015, 10:30:48 am
So now KA threads are being hidden inside other threads ???

lol at jumpball. this is ridiculous.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

jry04

Quote from: HoopS on June 03, 2015, 01:33:55 pm
I really don't even have an issue with those who continue to point out what they feel are shortcomings. The main issue I have is it is done daily. It sucks the life out of this place. I don't enjoy even coming around to read anything because it is a 100% chance that the same handful of posters will make sure to let us all know MA isn't getting things done as they want it.
Exactly. We know this late signing period hasn't been good. We do not need it pointed out in every single thread, every single day. Until Monday, I had not been in Jump Ball for a week. Nothing has changed, though.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on June 03, 2015, 02:15:04 pm
We do not need it pointed out in every single thread, every single day.

Okay, I can see that, but I'm not seeing multiple threads talking about it.

The things some of us are saying are in response to rose colored glasses comments about how some guy from Kennesaw St. that played less than 20 minutes a game as a junior is "a good get", or something along those lines.

Or responding to comments that portray the late signing period as "no big deal, everything is fine".  There are legitimate concerns that can be seen with anyone who is wiling to see the truth.

With those pushing a pro-Mike, cover Mike's rear at all costs agenda driving the new topics, are those of us with a different view point supposed to just go to the corner and be quiet?

IMO that contradicts the spirit of a discussion board.

HoopS

You aren't seeing multiple threads about it? I am.

Message boards are indeed about discussing topics, pros and cons, etc,.. And I'm not even saying to shut up and get in the corner. I'm just saying that it really does get old and it won't be long and there won't be anyone around to argue with because they'll already be exhausted from it all. There are some folks who can bring good takes to these threads but they steer clear due to the constant back and forth in which the same points and counterpoints are argued, taken and spun, and argued again. For anyone hoping to actually discuss this player, it sucks.

At some point in time, you would think folks would realize they're simply repeating themselves daily, and sometimes many times a day, and understand that they can keep repeating their opinion, but some folks (I'm taking about both sides of a given argument) just won't budge from their own opinions. And that's ok.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on June 03, 2015, 02:42:44 pm
You aren't seeing multiple threads about it? I am.

Message boards are indeed about discussing topics, pros and cons, etc,.. And I'm not even saying to shut up and get in the corner. I'm just saying that it really does get old and it won't be long and there won't be anyone around to argue with because they'll already be exhausted from it all. There are some folks who can bring good takes to these threads but they steer clear due to the constant back and forth in which the same points and counterpoints are argued, taken and spun, and argued again. For anyone hoping to actually discuss this player, it sucks.

At some point in time, you would think folks would realize they're simply repeating themselves daily, and sometimes many times a day, and understand that they can keep repeating their opinion, but some folks (I'm taking about both sides of a given argument) just won't budge from their own opinions. And that's ok.

What you're saying applies to both sides, though. But it seems like stones are only being cast at people who have negative takes or are voicing displeasure about a topic. It takes two to tango. If people are getting exhausted by the arguments, there's at least one person on both sides to blame.....not just the person on the opposite side of how you feel. If you don't fan the flame, it will go out on its own.

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 02:46:31 pm
What you're saying applies to both sides, though. But it seems like stones are only being cast at people who have negative takes or are voicing displeasure about a topic. It takes two to tango. If people are getting exhausted by the arguments, there's at least one person on both sides to blame.....not just the person on the opposite side of how you feel. If you don't fan the flame, it will go out on its own.
i agree it applies to both sides.  I actually said that in the post.

PonderinHog

Free Willy! From his own thread!

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on June 03, 2015, 02:48:47 pm
i agree it applies to both sides.  I actually said that in the post.

True, but it seems like your main gripe is....

HouseOfHam

Is Jump Ball even moderated anymore?

Hawg Red

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 02:55:08 pm
True, but it seems like your main gripe is....

in general, for me, i do get tired of the same handful of folks piling on our coach and all the ways he isn't getting it done in their opinion.

But that's me. I guarantee you there's a ton of folks who agree with me. And there's certainly others who go the other way. And I bet many of them are tired of watching the same handful of folks argue the same stuff daily. I would bet there's an even larger number who no longer even check in on these threads unless RD posts because they know there will be another piss fight going on.

I apologize for any part I have ever had in it. 

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 03, 2015, 02:27:46 pm
Okay, I can see that, but I'm not seeing multiple threads talking about it.

The things some of us are saying are in response to rose colored glasses comments about how some guy from Kennesaw St. that played less than 20 minutes a game as a junior is "a good get", or something along those lines.

Or responding to comments that portray the late signing period as "no big deal, everything is fine".  There are legitimate concerns that can be seen with anyone who is wiling to see the truth.

With those pushing a pro-Mike, cover Mike's rear at all costs agenda driving the new topics, are those of us with a different view point supposed to just go to the corner and be quiet?

IMO that contradicts the spirit of a discussion board.
I am not saying you directed the comment at me, but I certainly never said this guy will be good. I said multiple times that I have no idea about him. I have never seen him play, not even a highlight video.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 02:46:31 pm

You do realize that saying complimentary things towards the Razorback athletic programs on a Arkansas message board is the expected behavior? There are probably 5 total negative posters who come into every thread and repeat themselves. No one can start a thread about anything without the exact same negative opinions coming up, even if it is a disparate topic. Now this is a message board where people are going to discuss their opinions, but if saying something positive about the Basketball program on a Razorback message board is now considered fanning the flames, than somewhere things have gone horribly wrong.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GlassofSwine on June 03, 2015, 03:58:12 pm
You do realize that saying complimentary things towards the Razorback athletic programs on a Arkansas message board is the expected behavior? There are probably 5 total negative posters who come into every thread and repeat themselves. No one can start a thread about anything without the exact same negative opinions coming up, even if it is a disparate topic. Now this is a message board where people are going to discuss their opinions, but if saying something positive about the Basketball program on a Razorback message board is now considered fanning the flames, than somewhere things have gone horribly wrong.

Clearly not what I'm talking about and it's defensive posts like these that advance these sort of pissing matches because they take someone's words and turn them into them saying something they aren't. It's pretty obvious that I'm talking about people taking exception to criticisms of the staff and, thus, being complicit in these types of arguments. It's not people "saying complimentary things towards the Razorback athletic programs," it's arguing with other people about their opinions because they don't feel the same way. There's nothing wrong with being positive or wanting to defend the staff, if that's how you feel, but there's also nothing wrong with voicing displeasure or criticisms. This would seem to be the avenue for that for fans should they choose to do that. Obviously it gets to be a bit much, but it's not because one side keeps bringing it up, it's because both sides keep arguing about it. That's my point. Not that people shouldn't say positive things about the Hogs or the coaches or the players or whatever.

jjdlc

For the most part, the only people I've seen that have said anything about him being a "good get" are pretty much basing their opinion on him being a 1 year player. There isn't any real risk.  Even if he ends up being a total bust, he doesn't prevent us from using the scholarship on next years class which has a lot of really good players on our radar.  Worst case he rides the pine for a year.  If we're going to have open scholarships anyway...

No doubt that the late period has been less than stellar, but recruiting this kid is far from the worst thing that has happened during it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jjdlc on June 03, 2015, 04:23:36 pm
For the most part, the only people I've seen that have said anything about him being a "good get" are pretty much basing their opinion on him being a 1 year player. There isn't any real risk.  Even if he ends up being a total bust, he doesn't prevent us from using the scholarship on next years class which has a lot of really good players on our radar.  Worst case he rides the pine for a year.  If we're going to have open scholarships anyway...

No doubt that the late period has been less than stellar, but recruiting this kid is far from the worst thing that has happened during it.

Exactly.

Better than no one, doesn't effect 2016 recruiting, has D1 experience and athleticism. Absolutely no risk (assuming he's a good person).

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 04:10:25 pm
Clearly not what I'm talking about and it's defensive posts like these that advance these sort of pissing matches because they take someone's words and turn them into them saying something they aren't. It's pretty obvious that I'm talking about people taking exception to criticisms of the staff and, thus, being complicit in these types of arguments. It's not people "saying complimentary things towards the Razorback athletic programs," it's arguing with other people about their opinions because they don't feel the same way. There's nothing wrong with being positive or wanting to defend the staff, if that's how you feel, but there's also nothing wrong with voicing displeasure or criticisms. This would seem to be the avenue for fans should they choose to do that. Obviously it gets to be a bit much, but it's not because one side keeps bringing it up, it's because both sides keep arguing about it. That's my point. Not that people shouldn't say positive things about the Hogs or the coaches or the players or whatever.

You are one of the few semi negative posters that actually posts reasonable criticisms. However, I'm not defending anything in my post, just stating facts. Look at this thread we are in now, it is far removed from actually discussing the topic at hand. What happened? Oh yeah we had this post.

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 26, 2015, 01:13:21 pm
You don't have the first clue what this staff's evaluation of this kid is.

They are in desperation mode.  They need bodies.  And this kid is a big body.

I think his 1.9 ppg and 2.7 rpg will be a huge addition for the 2015-16 club.

Of course then it just escalates..

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 26, 2015, 03:25:26 pm
Didn't answer my question, there, bra.

Can we get a perspective here folks?

We are getting a tingly feeling about a kid that was a part time player at Kennesaw State!!??

Do we really believe this is how a quality, perennial Top 20 CBB team is built?

REALLY??

We could keep going. Post after post not even trying to praise MA or the Basketball team but simply give information dissolves into this mess. So again, there is a reason the negative posters are called out more. I barely post in JumpBall and I can call out all the instigators, if you can't your just not paying attention.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GlassofSwine on June 03, 2015, 04:29:45 pm
  You are one of the few semi negative posters that actually posts reasonable criticisms. However, I'm not defending anything in my post, just stating facts. Look at this thread we are in now, it is far removed from actually discussing the topic at hand. What happened? Oh yeah we had this post.

Of course then it just escalates..

We could keep going. Post after post not even trying to praise MA or the Basketball team but simply give information dissolves into this mess. So again, there is a reason the negative posters are called out more. I barely post in JumpBall and I can call out all the instigators, if you can't your just not paying attention.

There's no doubt some are worse than others, and some people do not try to see the other side's logic, but like I said, the flame will go out if you don't fan it. Someone(s) from the other side having been fanning bigdaddyhawg's flame and that's why it's still burning. It stands to reason that negative posters would be called out more for the way they post, but long, drawn-out arguments undoubtedly fall at the feet of both sides.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 04:36:17 pm
There's no doubt some are worse than others, and some people do not try to see the other side's logic, but like I said, the flame will go out if you don't fan it. Someone(s) from the other side having been fanning bigdaddyhawg's flame and that's why it's still burning. It stands to reason that negative posters would be called out more for the way they post, but long, drawn-out arguments undoubtedly fall at the feet of both sides.

No one fanned his flames in this thread, until he started making sarcastic remarks and exaggerating statements. He even did that to you, to which you replied. Let's not be obtuse, there are 4 or 5 posters who chase after every thread to spout their criticisms even if they are off topic. This isn't a case of a small spark that gets some oxygen, this is a guy with roadrage who tries to run you off the road because he doesn't like the way you drive. In JumpBall there are 4 or 5 of them and they deserve all the criticism they get.

lefty08

Quote from: -Blu on June 03, 2015, 01:01:28 pm

It's the same handful of posters doing it, I'm guilty as well, it wouldn't and shouldn't be hard to clean up
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

rzrbackramsfan

HOGINTENNESSEE

The things some of us are saying are in response to rose colored glasses comments about how some guy from Kennesaw St. that played less than 20 minutes a game as a junior is "a good get", or something along those line

You never seem to mention he was defensive player of the year in his conference

PonderinHog

I'm still monitoring this forum closely.   >:(

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 09:16:20 am
Another point to consider in the whole "over-signing" debate is how the Nick Babb thing went down. The more I think it about, the more it becomes clear that this was a decision made well before the end of the season. The reason I think this is because Nick did not even wait to see what happened with Qualls, and Mike said the reason Babb was transferring was to get more playing time. Something just doesn't add up. Could be that Mike felt Babb wasn't going to cut it, but if that's the case, even more reason to sign a 3rd player before the late period.
Or Qualls and Portis said they were staying. Pretty easy to assume since about everyone that was part of both basketball programs thought as much.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HouseOfHam on June 03, 2015, 02:57:39 pm
Is Jump Ball even moderated anymore?

No, for a couple of reasons. Jump Ball has pretty much become known as a cesspool. Not hardly worth trying to clean up. Secondly, it is offseason. I moderate more than anyone, and I don't give a crap about basketball the first week of June. It's an added bonus that baseball is going well, and EI is about 100 times better place to be.

choppedporkextrasauce

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ArkansasI on June 03, 2015, 09:06:36 am
I want to apologize now for bringing this up again... but, Kevaughn Allen has concerned me most during the aftermath of the Exodus.

When Donovan headed to OKC, the clouds of the late signing period despair broke for a few days as I began envisioning Kevaughn, Jimmy and Anton forming a competitive backcourt trio that would give fans something to look forward to watching in 2015-16 as the program continues to grow.

Instead, rather than play for adoring fans clammoring for his signature in his home state, Kevaughn decided he would rather play for the new guy at Florida.  How little must the Arkansas coaching staff have done to embrace this young man that he prefers to travel halfway across the country to play for a man he met over a weekend?

I've read here that Kevaughn is a good kid that may have been surrounded by handlers.  Mike had an opportunity to offer his control over the situation.  Mike's idea of controlling the situation was to allow the young man to live with his commitment.  Supposedly, if Kevaughn would reopen his recruiting, then Mike would have recruited him again.

When Kevaughn delayed his signing, I took that as a message to all interested that he was still open.  Maybe that wasn't the message Kevaughn was sending.  And maybe the staff did recruit Kevaughn this spring and I don't know it.

Whatever actually happened, it appeared that Mike let Kevaughn go after he committed to Florida.  It's Mike's program and he can do what he wants.  But I would not be so passive.  I think this is especially true when dealing with Arkansas kids.

Many of us have pretty fragile egos.  If Kevaughn asked Mike to stop recruiting him, then I get it.  Otherwise, I don't.

True or not, Kevaughn's decision to be a Gator appeared to go beyond just wanting to go out of state.  And that's too bad for Kevaughn and Arkansas.
Good post.
I too was somewhat in the dumps after Portis/Qualls left, but was beginning to get excited after Donovan left and there seemed to be a real chance Allen would flip and come here. I get excited about talent, and he's a real talent, but I also get excited about hometown kids playing for the Hogs.
The stepdad helped fan those flames, but as it turned out apparently he's just another 'stepdad' who wants to talk and interject himself into the middle of things.
To have Allen reject us once, then essentially a second time, is very discouraging.
I'm back to being somewhat optimistic but mostly accepting of the fact that next year will see a dropoff of some type.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sloot on June 03, 2015, 01:21:32 am
Why can't you tell them that a scholarship will be available for them? If they're better than some players we currently have, then you cut loose those players and aid them in landing elsewhere. Tell the kid, "If you commit to/sign with us, we'll make sure a scholarship is available for you." The whole the numbers will work itself out spiel.
Some coaches do that. Anderson does not. The only way he will cut a kid loose is for a total lack of effort, academic issues or character problems.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 02, 2015, 10:41:13 pm
I do believe Allen knew he had a spot at Arkansas I he got the release. We can split hairs on how he was made aware for days but he knew
He was not told directly or indirectly that a spot was open for him. The coaching staff had no contact with him and did not instruct anyone to talk to him on their behalf. I've known Mike Anderson since the mid 80's. He does not operate that way.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 04, 2015, 08:21:09 am
He was not told directly or indirectly that a spot was open for him. The coaching staff had no contact with him and did not instruct anyone to talk to him on their behalf. I've known Mike Anderson since the mid 80's. He does not operate that way.

Yet one more reason why I like having him at UA.