Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grad Transfer Willy Kouassi

Started by -Blu, April 19, 2015, 10:15:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on June 01, 2015, 08:12:41 am
Says the anonymous sources in Northwest Arkansas. There is more than playing for free living in a dorm and going to catfish hole and sassys. There is a much bigger world out there and he gets paid millions for it. It absolutely was a no brainer. The staff shouldn't have signed zero guys in the spring signing period. As an alum I was very disappointed. Do Coach K, Boeheim, Calipari, Izzo, Pitino, Roy Williams or Bill Self use the excuse that they thought a player or players weren't leaving as a reason to sign zero spring recruits?
There was nothing anonymous about the source. In fact the only person anonymous in this discussion is you.

Gee, who to believe? Jimmy Dykes and Portis' girlfriend or you?

farmhawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 01, 2015, 08:12:06 pm
There was nothing anonymous about the source. In fact the only person anonymous in this discussion is you.

Gee, who to believe? Jimmy Dykes and Portis' girlfriend or you?
You can't argue with someone that has an agenda.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

-Blu

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 01, 2015, 08:04:52 pm
I agree. I can't see him picking Memphis with Nick Marshall reclassing to 2015.

Yea, and I think they are full on scholarships at the moment unless they are thinking someone may transfer, which is usually the case if they are still bringing guys in for visits, but he hasn't announced a date for Memphis, so you have to like our chances if the weekend goes smoothly.

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on June 01, 2015, 08:12:41 am
Says the anonymous sources in Northwest Arkansas. There is more than playing for free living in a dorm and going to catfish hole and sassys. There is a much bigger world out there and he gets paid millions for it. It absolutely was a no brainer. The staff shouldn't have signed zero guys in the spring signing period. As an alum I was very disappointed. Do Coach K, Boeheim, Calipari, Izzo, Pitino, Roy Williams or Bill Self use the excuse that they thought a player or players weren't leaving as a reason to sign zero spring recruits?
Anonymous source? Do you not know who Jimmy Dykes is? My goodness...

TNhawgfan

TheRazorbackGuy apparently needs to buy a dictionary so he can look up what the word anonymous means. Its not like Mike Irwin had to share his info with a free board, and when he did you basically said you didn't believe it. Who are your sources? Are they closer to the program than Mike's? Some of you anti Mike guys need to find a new board to spew your hate
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 02, 2015, 09:08:19 am
TheRazorbackGuy apparently needs to buy a dictionary so he can look up what the word anonymous means. Its not like Mike Irwin had to share his info with a free board, and when he did you basically said you didn't believe it. Who are your sources? Are they closer to the program than Mike's? Some of you anti Mike guys need to find a new board to spew your hate

Don't have anti Mike agenda. I never once called for Mike to be replaced. I Just felt disappointed by the spring recruiting that's all. Everyone on this forum has an excuse but he offered 4 guys and whiffed on all 4. That's not agenda that's fact.

As for Portis, it's a no brainer to leave. He is going to get picked in the top 20 and earn millions. Guys with accounting degrees from.Arkansas it takes 15 years plus to earn even close to that and more years as 15 years is being generous. I lived in NWA for 13 years and there is a much bigger world out there than NWA. The getting ripped off at XNA airport air fares is out of his issues and Portis gets to experience That w making millions.

TomBigBeeHog

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (Abraham Lincoln)
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 02, 2015, 10:42:25 am
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (Abraham Lincoln)

One of my favorite quotes of all time.

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on June 02, 2015, 10:18:40 am
Don't have anti Mike agenda. I never once called for Mike to be replaced. I Just felt disappointed by the spring recruiting that's all. Everyone on this forum has an excuse but he offered 4 guys and whiffed on all 4. That's not agenda that's fact.

As for Portis, it's a no brainer to leave. He is going to get picked in the top 20 and earn millions. Guys with accounting degrees from.Arkansas it takes 15 years plus to earn even close to that and more years as 15 years is being generous. I lived in NWA for 13 years and there is a much bigger world out there than NWA. The getting ripped off at XNA airport air fares is out of his issues and Portis gets to experience That w making millions.
What 4 guys did he offer and whiff on? Izundu, King (although we were inviting him for a visit, and didn't necessarily offer).

Who else? Those are the only players we were going after following the Qualls and Portis announcement. We got Daniel Thomas. We didn't offer Dixson. We didn't go after Frazier anymore because he wasn't going to qualify. Allen was never released from his scholarship so we certainly didn't go after him following BP and Qualls announcing. So again, what 4 are you talking about? Izundu is the only one we put the full court press on and whiffed on.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 12:57:20 pm
What 4 guys did he offer and whiff on? Izundu, King (although we were inviting him for a visit, and didn't necessarily offer).

Who else? Those are the only players we were going after following the Qualls and Portis announcement. We got Daniel Thomas. We didn't offer Dixson. We didn't go after Frazier anymore because he wasn't going to qualify. Allen was never released from his scholarship so we certainly didn't go after him following BP and Qualls announcing. So again, what 4 are you talking about? Izundu is the only one we put the full court press on and whiffed on.

You summed it up pretty nicely, we missed on Izundu and King and that's it so far.  Some people simply don't like Mike Anderson for whatever reason, instead of just saying it, they come up with stuff to try to feel justified in not liking him. Since we had a 27 win season, the best in 20 years, they obviously can't complain about that, so naturally recruiting is the next thing up they can constantly complain about.

With that said, I will admit the recruiting has been underwhelming in the late period.  Looking ahead I would think we have an above average shot at getting both Kouassi and Leon, which wouldn't be bad IMO.  Both can make the rotation, and could be the difference from being a tournament team or not.  But, I still would have like to seen us close on some higher targets.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: -Blu on June 02, 2015, 01:08:07 pm
You summed it up pretty nicely, we missed on Izundu and King and that's it so far.  Some people simply don't like Mike Anderson for whatever reason, instead of just saying it, they come up with stuff to try to feel justified in not liking him. Since we had a 27 win season, the best in 20 years, they obviously can't complain about that, so naturally recruiting is the next thing up they can constantly complain about.

With that said, I will admit the recruiting has been underwhelming in the late period.  Looking ahead I would think we have an above average shot at getting both Kouassi and Leon, which wouldn't be bad IMO.  Both can make the rotation, and could be the difference from being a tournament team or not.  But, I still would have like to seen us close on some higher targets.

Well, seems like I remember you talking about what a good chance we had to get LeGerald Vick.

He doesn't count?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hawg Red

Vick would be a name I would have mentioned, but it doesn't seem like we put the "full-court press" on him. Seems like about a week after his decommitting from SMU, Kansas and Kentucky emerged as the heavy favorites. It would seem that the staff was either told directly or just got the hint that the Hogs weren't in the running at that point.

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 01:12:48 pm
Well, seems like I remember you talking about what a good chance we had to get LeGerald Vick.

He doesn't count?
If you count Vick, then you have to count just about every recruit in the country we ever expressed any interest in. He wasn't a realistic possibility.

Many probably won't agree, but I have said it a number of times. We haven't really whiffed on many guys, because we haven't really recruited many guys in this late period. That isn't any better, because either way you don't end up with anyone. However, if Mike Irwin was correct, which I have no reason to believe he isn't, it kind of explains why the staff appears to be unprepared.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 02, 2015, 01:16:16 pm
Vick would be a name I would have mentioned, but it doesn't seem like we put the "full-court press" on him. Seems like about a week after his decommitting from SMU, Kansas and Kentucky emerged as the heavy favorites. It would seem that the staff was either told directly or just got the hint that the Hogs weren't in the running at that point.

a team coming off a 27 win season, with 3 open scholarships and plenty of playing time to promise could not even get in the running for him? Kind of goes to the point therazorbackguy was making.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2015, 01:42:45 pm
a team coming off a 27 win season, with 3 open scholarships and plenty of playing time to promise could not even get in the running for him? Kind of goes to the point therazorbackguy was making.
When he has offers from Kansas and UK? No...

King Kong

Not when the other schools are Kansas and UK

Hawg Red

If he had ended up at like Kansas State (they were mentioned) or gone back to SMU, maybe I'd buy into that with Vick. But he went to Kansas and Kentucky was heavily involved as well. I wouldn't expect for Arkansas, even with better recruiting habits, to win too many of those battles.

jjdlc

I'm not sure we ever actually offered King, we invited him for a visit, but I never heard anything about an official offer.  Of course as we all know, there isn't much public info to go on. 

Another thing is, it isn't exactly like there is a ton of talented players floating around in the spring.  Even Kentucky was chasing 3 stars.  The only reason Vick came open was he saw his chance to upgrade to Kentucky or Kansas.

-Blu

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 01:12:48 pm

He doesn't count?

I never seen our name attached to Vick in the late period.  It was assumed he was a possibility because we recruited him in the early period, for whatever reasons after the Whitt commitment our name was never mentioned with him again.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 01:40:40 pm
If you count Vick, then you have to count just about every recruit in the country we ever expressed any interest in. He wasn't a realistic possibility.

Well, there you have it.  We didn't whiff on the kid because we never had a prayer, even though several "experts" on here said we did, one even saying he thought we had a decent chance at getting that kid.

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 01:40:40 pm
Many probably won't agree, but I have said it a number of times. We haven't really whiffed on many guys, because we haven't really recruited many guys in this late period. That isn't any better, because either way you don't end up with anyone. However, if Mike Irwin was correct, which I have no reason to believe he isn't, it kind of explains why the staff appears to be unprepared.

So now, we've had ZERO whiffs???  Awesome!!!

I feel MUCH better!!

Our only targets were a transfer from Kinnesaw State and a transfer from CO who won't even be eligible until the following year.

You may not realize this, but your little portrayal of things here actually makes Mike look completely clueless!!  (I don't believe he is, so I don't believe your portrayal either.)

You are out of touch with reality if you don't think we've been doing some whiffing during the late period.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 01:49:47 pm
Well, there you have it.  We didn't whiff on the kid because we never had a prayer, even though several "experts" on here said we did, one even saying he thought we had a decent chance at getting that kid.

I feel MUCH better!!

Our only targets were a transfer from Kinnesaw State and a transfer from CO who won't even be eligible until the following year.

You may not realize this, but your little portrayal of things here actually makes Mike look completely clueless!!  (I don't believe he is, so I don't believe your portrayal either.)

You are out of touch with reality if you don't think we've been doing some whiffing during the late period.
If you want reading lessons we may be able to work something out. You clearly have quite a bit of trouble.

The word "many" and the word "any" are different words with different meanings. Notice how I said we haven't had "many" whiffs? That doesn't mean ZERO.

I said we whiffed on King and Izundu just now. Other than that, we didn't whiff on people because we weren't recruiting them. Like I said before, that doesn't make things any worse and it falls on Anderson. However, the inability to close the deal and being prepared for departures are two different things that will happen to result in the same thing...not getting recruits.

As for Vick, we didn't have a shot. You can choose to believe what you want, but when he re-classified it wasn't for Arkansas. Very few thought we did, and the ones who did were just people who are overly optimistic about every name that comes up thinking we may get them.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 01:54:35 pm
If you want reading lessons we may be able to work something out. You clearly have quite a bit of trouble.

The word "many" and the word "any" are different words with different meanings. Notice how I said we haven't had "many" whiffs? That doesn't mean ZERO.

I said we whiffed on King and Izundu just now. Other than that, we didn't whiff on people because we weren't recruiting them. Like I said before, that doesn't make things any worse and it falls on Anderson. However, the inability to close the deal and being prepared for departures are two different things that will happen to result in the same thing...not getting recruits.

As for Vick, we didn't have a shot. You can choose to believe what you want, but when he re-classified it wasn't for Arkansas. Very few thought we did, and the ones who did were just people who are overly optimistic about every name that comes up thinking we may get them.

My reading comprehension is just fine.  And I can see all you did in this post was regurgitate the same weak pap I addressed already.

You've got a sweet deal going though: anytime we're in the running for a recruit and whiff, all you have to do is come on here and say "we weren't going after that kid".  Now THAT'S what I call covering Mike's backside!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 01:54:35 pm

OK, please do us all a favor and tell us NOW, not after the fact, are we recruiting Justin Leon hard??

And if so, in your inside info perspective, do we have a legitimate shot at him?

(Insert reading of Miranda rights here.)

-Blu

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 02:49:02 pm
OK, please do us all a favor and tell us NOW, not after the fact, are we recruiting Justin Leon hard??

And if so, in your inside info perspective, do we have a legitimate shot at him?

No scholarship offer has been reported and no reports if staff has actually spoken with him yet.  Last update Richard gave the coaches just spoke with Leon's coach, but Justin hadn't actually spoken with the staff himself yet.  Leon did give his top 5 and we were in it, but that doesn't mean you have a scholarship offer.  We will learn more in the coming weeks how serious both parties are when he schedules his visits.  If he gets a visit then you know the staff is serious about him and he has a scholarship offer on the tablet.

jry04

June 02, 2015, 02:56:12 pm #124 Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:10:58 pm by jry04
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 02:49:02 pm

I have no idea...

I am just saying you are a extremely ignorant if you think we "whiffed" on Dixson or Vick. Everyone and their mom who follows recruiting for a living said we never offered Dixson or invited him on a visit, and we never had a shot for Vick.

I am still waiting to hear what 4 players we "whiffed" on.

So are you going to tell me how you read that I said we haven't whiffed on "any" as opposed to "many?" You never addressed that. I have said 1000000 times that Mike was unprepared and it isn't good. Just because a random poster posts that a certain recruit is available doesn't mean we are actually recruiting on him or whiff on him. If RD, Dudley, Biddy, West, etc. do not at least have information we are going after them, then we likely aren't going after them...

azhog10

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 30, 2015, 04:57:06 pm
I had an interesting conversation yesterday with Jimmy Dykes about this subject. Portis'  girlfriend is one of his players. He said she told him right up until the announcement that Bobby was staying. He said he also knows for a fact that Qualls was planning on coming back until that surge the last few games of the season.

This is what I was hearing all along. Both of those guys sent out strong signals down the stretch that they were coming back.
Conversation with one of the assistants was also the feeling. They were told he wanted to stay very late into the season and Qualls as well. I get the whole "plan B". But I think CMA was in a tough spot. He would have been best served to really try to convince Bobby and Qualls to stay, but the NBA draft is only two rounds and it's not like you can afford to drop 2 or 3 rounds but still get drafted. You can only go off your gut, and there was nothing wrong with the Coaches thinking they were coming back when for the longest that was what they were being led to believe. Is what it is.

azhog10

Let's go with a hypothetical......

Your wife is really really hot, and because you are married you have no reason to believe she's going to leave you. Then you get a rich, young, hot neighbor and you have been introduced. Then one day she up and leaves you for him. Now you had no reason to believe she was leaving you, she was married to you and had never given you an indication she was leaving.

This was the NBA with Portis. He was married to the Hogs and was a Hog through in through. He had told the Staff he was coming back, and well a richer more attractive "person" reached out. That changed his mind and it is what it is. So to you it was obvious, but, to those involved it wasn't. Right or wrong it's easy to armchair quarterback this whole thing. Had he came back, you would have been wrong.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 02:56:12 pm

You said "we haven't whiffed on many guys", but the truth is we have whiffed on 100% of the kids we've gone after in the late period.

So what you're doing is playing a game of subterfuge called working one word against the other.  It's a disingenuous statement AT BEST.  At worst, well ...

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: -Blu on June 02, 2015, 02:54:02 pm
No scholarship offer has been reported and no reports if staff has actually spoken with him yet.  Last update Richard gave the coaches just spoke with Leon's coach, but Justin hadn't actually spoken with the staff himself yet.  Leon did give his top 5 and we were in it, but that doesn't mean you have a scholarship offer.  We will learn more in the coming weeks how serious both parties are when he schedules his visits.  If he gets a visit then you know the staff is serious about him and he has a scholarship offer on the tablet.

Thank you Blu for sharing that.

HoopS

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 03:16:43 pm
You said "we haven't whiffed on many guys", but the truth is we have whiffed on 100% of the kids we've gone after in the late period.

So what you're doing is playing a game of subterfuge called working one word against the other.  It's a disingenuous statement AT BEST.  At worst, well ...
we landed Thomas.

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 03:16:43 pm

And you just said:

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 01:49:47 pm

I feel MUCH better!!

So now you are able to read? That is odd.

We haven't whiffed on that many guys... not because we are doing a great job, but because we clearly haven't really been recruiting in the late period. Like I said, that isn't any better than whiffing because it has the same end result.

We landed Thomas, we missed on Izundu and King. We are 1-2 as far as guys we offered/scheduled a visit in the late period. That isn't 4, that is 2.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 03:47:06 pm
And you just said:

So now you are able to read? That is odd.

We haven't whiffed on that many guys... not because we are doing a great job, but because we clearly haven't really been recruiting in the late period. Like I said, that isn't any better than whiffing because it has the same end result.

We landed Thomas, we missed on Izundu and King. We are 1-2 as far as guys we offered/scheduled a visit in the late period. That isn't 4, that is 2.

You're a very slippery adversary, and play fast and loose with the truth.

I never said we whiffed on four guys.  But whiffing on 3/4 is a heck of a long ways from "not many".  (And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on your one success, as he's a freaking transfer and does ZIP for us next year.  Those other guys we whiffed on, that tiny, tiny # of guys we actually did whiff on were all eligible to help us immediately.  Big difference.)

Just curious, how many guys would we have to whiff on for you to consider it  "many"??  Double figures???

Dropkick

I would suggest some of you read my sig line and see if the shoe fits.......

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 03:51:47 pm
You're a very slippery adversary, and play fast and loose with the truth.

I never said we whiffed on four guys.  But whiffing on 3/4 is a heck of a long ways from "not many".  (And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on your one success, as he's a freaking transfer and does ZIP for us next year.  Those other guys we whiffed on, that tiny, tiny # of guys we actually did whiff on were all eligible to help us immediately.  Big difference.)

Just curious, how many guys would we have to whiff on for you to consider it  "many"??  Double figures???
No you didn't. The guy I was responding to when you called me out did.

We didn't whiff on 4 was my point, and you took it as I was defending Mike.

-Blu

Could you name the 4 guys that were offered that we whiffed on in the spring, and provide links or sources to that.  Because I follow recruiting very closely I only know of one guy we know had an offer that we missed on and that was Izundu.  Nick King, most are just assuming he had an offer since a visit was scheduled, but there was no confirmations on him having an offer or not, for all we know the staff didn't offer, but would have had he came for his visit.

The other guys we were linked to this Spring were...
-Dustin Thomas - Visited and committed.
-Dikembe Dixson, who didn't have an offer.
-Kevaugh Allen, who never decommited from Florida, so no way we could offer him. 
-Some JUCO kid that I can't remember that put us in his top 3, he had no offer and
committed to SEMO. 
-Lamont West, who's uncle reported he had an offer, but nobody in Arkansas, including media knew anything about him until after he committed to West Virgina.  No way to confirm an actual offer or not.
-Ty Outlaw, who's recruitment has been very quiet, but no offer was ever reported, he may come into play later. 
-Willy Kouassi, who will visit this weekend.
-Justin Leon, who just named us in his top 5.

So, from my count on actual confirmed offers we are 1/2.  Now, you can make an argument that we should be after more guys and more aggressive, I completely agree with that, but don't try to twist things like we are offering a lot of kids and just getting turned down, if anything we need to be offering more even if that means more turn downs.

GuvHog

Quote from: jry04 on June 02, 2015, 02:56:12 pm
I have no idea...

I am just saying you are a extremely ignorant if you think we "whiffed" on Dixson or Vick. Everyone and their mom who follows recruiting for a living said we never offered Dixson or invited him on a visit, and we never had a shot for Vick.

So are you going to tell me how you read that I said we haven't whiffed on "any" as opposed to "many?" You never addressed that. I have said 1000000 times that Mike was unprepared and it isn't good. Just because a random poster posts that a certain recruit is available doesn't mean we are actually recruiting on him or whiff on him. If RD, Dudley, Biddy, West, etc. do not at least have information we are going after them, then we likely aren't going after them...

Could the reason for Dixson not receiving a scholarship be because he told Mike not to waste time offering him a scholarship because he was not interested in playing at Arkansas at all???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jjdlc

Quote from: GuvHog on June 02, 2015, 04:30:51 pm
Could the reason for Dixson not receiving a scholarship be because he told Mike not to waste time offering him a scholarship because he was not interested in playing at Arkansas at all???

Anything is possible, however, in this thread....

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=591753.msg9684552#msg9684552

RD indicates that Arkansas' interest in Dixson didn't appear to be as high as a lot of people thought.  In another post, elsewhere, he also indicated that Dixson was never offered.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Seems very unlikely Arkansas canceled his visit. But anything is possible

jry04

Possibly, except for the fact that he was the only one reporting we were in his top 4 and that he was visiting Arkansas. Meanwhile, Dudley and RD said we never offered him or invited him for a visit. It sounded more like he was hyping himself up.

hawgfan4life

To all the Mike and Staff were unprepared crowd, I have a few questions.  What would you have expected the staff to do had Portis and Qualls returned as they had indicated they fully intended to do next season?  Exactly how could they have been prepared more than indicated?  What proof does anyone have they didn't prepare as much as possible?  Here is how I see it:

1.  It would have been 100% wrong to sign a player and be forced to drop another scholarship player.  That is poor business even in D1 athletics where players are under one year scholarships with the possibility of this occurring.  The coaches recruit and sign players with their word and an agreement.  Absolutely nothing except failure by the player should cause the coach to violate their word and agreement.  Even if it means being short handed a player or two for a season.

2.  No player worth a flip was going to sit around and listen to AR recruit them with a possible scholarship coming open later.  The players AR realistically could recruit had to make a decision and go somewhere when they had the opportunity.  Otherwise, they may have been left without a quality offer later.  The great players that were willing to hold out for offers were waiting for Duke and Kentucky or other top tier programs and AR never had a chance for their signature unless they end up NOT getting the offer they want and they start looking for next tier teams.  Even those players are competitive for AR to land because AR is not a highly desired program anymore.  It is better now than it was the previous decade but it is still an up and comer and not a marquee name to today's recruits.

3.  What appears as unprepared is more unavoidable circumstances.  Portis and Qualls put the program in this position more than the coaches did by not being prepared.  They simply sent the wrong message for two long and it forced AR to have limited quality options.  Again, the option of over-signing is a poor option and I would think a lot less of the program had they gone that route.  They would have come out looking great but it would have still been bad procedure and they would have been lucky and not good.  I would rather be good than lucky.

4.  AR has a good HC and great facilities.  It has some good players on the roster and some top recruits coming into the program.  Two that are eligible this year.  The lack of filling these two scholarships is not going to ruin the program.  Is it frustrating?  Yes!  However, we are not AR from the past that our name could fill these slots like Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina, etc. can fill openings. 

5.  Next years class is far greater in importance than this spring.  The success of that class will demonstrate whether this spring was an anomaly or a revelation.  Constant negativity will certainly not help with future success.  All of you constantly griping are idiots.  You think you know everything and you spout your ignorance publicly.  When a credible person with knowledge provides information such as the conversation Mike Irwin had with Jimmy Dykes, you ignore it for your own ignorance.  You are an idiot and you dis-serve the program with your hate.  Please stop!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: -Blu on June 02, 2015, 04:20:14 pm
Could you name the 4 guys that were offered that we whiffed on in the spring, and provide links or sources to that.  Because I follow recruiting very closely I only know of one guy we know had an offer that we missed on and that was Izundu.  Nick King, most are just assuming he had an offer since a visit was scheduled, but there was no confirmations on him having an offer or not, for all we know the staff didn't offer, but would have had he came for his visit.

The other guys we were linked to this Spring were...
-Dustin Thomas - Visited and committed.
-Dikembe Dixson, who didn't have an offer.
-Kevaugh Allen, who never decommited from Florida, so no way we could offer him. 
-Some JUCO kid that I can't remember that put us in his top 3, he had no offer and
committed to SEMO. 
-Lamont West, who's uncle reported he had an offer, but nobody in Arkansas, including media knew anything about him until after he committed to West Virgina.  No way to confirm an actual offer or not.
-Ty Outlaw, who's recruitment has been very quiet, but no offer was ever reported, he may come into play later. 
-Willy Kouassi, who will visit this weekend.
-Justin Leon, who just named us in his top 5.

So, from my count on actual confirmed offers we are 1/2.  Now, you can make an argument that we should be after more guys and more aggressive, I completely agree with that, but don't try to twist things like we are offering a lot of kids and just getting turned down, if anything we need to be offering more even if that means more turn downs.

No Izundzu??  No Vick??

And your comment about Allen is beyond laughable.  Allen held no offer because he never decomitted??  Absurd, and you know it.

This is about the worst case of revisionist history I've ever seen.

The "Cover Mike's Backside" PR machine is in full stride now!!

But what choice do you have??

Mike's late period recruiting coup is about a transfer that won't even play this year, and who averaged, what, <5ppg in meager minutes at a mediocre, middle of the pack program??

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 02, 2015, 07:24:37 pm

Mike's late period recruiting coup is about a transfer that won't even play this year, and who averaged, what, <5ppg in meager minutes at a mediocre, middle of the pack program??

You forgot to mention his defensive skills.  I think I read something similar from you about Babb a few days ago.

lefty08

Yep, Mike sucks cause he didn't play Babb enough, and Babb was a huge loss. And in the same breath say you're not excited about this guys stats. Could it not be that his last coach was as bad as you think Mike is?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jjdlc

No Izundzu??  No Vick??

And your comment about Allen is beyond laughable.  Allen held no offer because he never decomitted??  Absurd, and you know it.

How is his comment on Allen laughable or absurd?  How is it revisionist history?  Is it not fact that Allen never asked for nor got a release?

You also ask him why he didn't mention Izundu which he very clearly did in the first paragraph.  The only one he didn't mention was Vick.

You want to accuse people of "covering Mike's backside"  you need to find some arguments that aren't toilet paper thin.

-Blu

No Izundzu??  No Vick??

Mike Anderson is a big boy, I don't need to defend or "cover his backside" his record and body of work speaks for itself.  And it seems your wanting to ignore all facts and logic because obviously have a personal dislike for Mike Anderson, you've pretty much made that clear in this thread.

And FYI if you read what I said, I mentioned Izundu in the very first paragraph.  And I didn't mention LeGarld Vick, because there was never any mention of us connected to him in the Spring period.  When he decommited from SMU, several national analyst put out schools of interest and Arkansas was never mentioned.  He hasn't been mentioned or linked to Arkansas since about November or December.  So I don't know how in the world you come up with he had a scholarship offer and we whiffed on him.

And as far as Allen, as others have said, you need to read the NCAA rules, it's a violation for coaches to contact players that have signed a LOI, how can you offer someone if you can't even talk to them?

Mike Irwin

your comment about Allen is beyond laughable.  Allen held no offer because he never decomitted??  Absurd, and you know it.

Seriously ? You think Mike Anderson called up Allen or used a third party to offer him during that period where he claimed he was going to ask for his release?

That would be insane. I certainly believe Anderson would have offered Allen had the kid obtained his release and contacted Anderson. But to jump the gun would have been totally nuts. The NCAA catches you doing that you're absolutely not going to get him plus you get yourself in hot water.

Yeah, there's cheating going on but that kind of cheating would be flat stupid. It's way to easy to just wait for his release.

Scott7703

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 02, 2015, 10:36:15 pm
Seriously ? You think Mike Anderson called up Allen or used a third party to offer him during that period where he claimed he was going to ask for his release?

That would be insane. I certainly believe Anderson would have offered Allen had the kid obtained his release and contacted Anderson. But to jump the gun would have been totally nuts. The NCAA catches you doing that you're absolutely not going to get him plus you get yourself in hot water.

Yeah, there's cheating going on but that kind of cheating would be flat stupid. It's way to easy to just wait for his release.

I do believe Allen knew he had a spot at Arkansas I he got the release. We can split hairs on how he was made aware for days but he knew

-Blu

Quote from: Scott7703 on June 02, 2015, 10:41:13 pm
I do believe Allen knew he had a spot at Arkansas I he got the release. We can split hairs on how he was made aware for days but he knew

I think the point he's trying to make is a scholarship offer wasn't officially put out for Allen, because he never decommitted to receive an offer. How can someone say you whiffed on someone that never received an offer.  That's like saying you struck out with a girl who had a boyfriend even though she knew you liked her, she gotta break-up with the boyfriend and let you at least take her out for it to be considering striking out with her.

secfan30

Agenda or not, it's hard to find a positive tone in many of your post when it comes to basketball.

sloot

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 31, 2015, 07:42:36 am
But as Dykes (who has actually recruited as opposed to you) pointed out to me how do you convince quality recruits to consider Arkansas if you can't tell them there will be a scholarship for them?

Why can't you tell them that a scholarship will be available for them? If they're better than some players we currently have, then you cut loose those players and aid them in landing elsewhere. Tell the kid, "If you commit to/sign with us, we'll make sure a scholarship is available for you." The whole the numbers will work itself out spiel.