Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cowherd says SEC should not get 2 playoff teams

Started by NuttinItUp, October 30, 2017, 01:06:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Even if Georgia and Bama are undefeated and ranked #1 & #2 when they meet in the SEC Championship game, Colin thinks the loser should be out of the playoff picture.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/colin-cowherd-college-football-playoff-secs-not-good-enough-year-two-teams

rude1

Makes no sense, if the objective is to get the best four teams, then and both those teams prove they are two of the best when they meet, then being in the same conference shouldn't matter. Otherwise just change the rules and say only conference champions are eligible and let's not pretend they want the best four.

Ā 

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: rude1 on October 30, 2017, 01:10:22 pm
Makes no sense, if the objective is to get the best four teams, then and both those teams prove they are two of the best when they meet, then being in the same conference shouldn't matter. Otherwise just change the rules and say only conference champions are eligible and let's not pretend they want the best four.

This would take some of the wind out of Bama's sails and spread the wealth all over the country.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

The object is not and never has been to get the best 4 teams. It has been to get the best 4 teams that people will watch. GA does not have the "it" factor when it comes to eyeballs.

But pose the same question about both Ohio St and Pn state making it if they both win out and Ohio State wins the big10cg and Pn St is sitting with one loss and I bet old Colin would see no problem with both of them making it.

At this point it looks like The pac 12 winner might have as many as 4 losses ( Wash only has 1 but has AZ, Utah, Stanford, WSU, and maybe the pac12cg left ). The big12 winner could have at least 2 and maybe 3, So if the seccg features 2 undefeated teams and they are two of the best 4 going in, why should #1 beating #2 or #3 mean that team is no longer 2nd or 3rd best.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hog Fan...DOH!

This year, 1-loss conference champ should get in over 1-loss SEC non-champ. 

In my mind, there's nothing about the SEC this year that says two teams should go to the playoff. 

NaturalStateReb

Makes total sense.  This guy hates the SEC.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on October 30, 2017, 01:19:46 pm
This year, 1-loss conference champ should get in over 1-loss SEC non-champ. 

In my mind, there's nothing about the SEC this year that says two teams should go to the playoff. 

What about a 2 loss conf champ? Because that is what is likely to come out of the pac12 and big12.

Should a one loss ND get in over a 1 loss GA, since GA beat ND? Should a 2 loss pac12 or big 12 champ get in over  a one loss ga?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 01:16:36 pm
The object is not and never has been to get the best 4 teams. It has been to get the best 4 teams that people will watch. GA does not have the "it" factor when it comes to eyeballs.

But pose the same question about both Ohio St and Pn state making it if they both win out and Ohio State wins the big10cg and Pn St is sitting with one loss and I bet old Colin would see no problem with both of them making it.

At this point it looks like The pac 12 winner might have as many as 4 losses ( Wash only has 1 but has AZ, Utah, Stanford, WSU, and maybe the pac12cg left ). The big12 winner could have at least 2 and maybe 3, So if the seccg features 2 undefeated teams and they are two of the best 4 going in, why should #1 beating #2 or #3 mean that team is no longer 2nd or 3rd best.

Clemson
Miami
Bama
Georiga
ND
tOSU
PSU
OU
Wisc

those 9 are playing for 4 spots.. 2 losses is out, which at least 3 of this list will have...there is SOOOO much football to play.. I predict it will be clear, with only slight disagreement on the 4th team..

rude1

EastexHawg

It's too early to get worked up about this stuff, even though I know that is Cowherd's objective.  What if neither Bama nor Georgia is undefeated when they play?  What if Bama isn't even in the SECCG?

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 30, 2017, 01:26:18 pm
Clemson
Miami
Bama
Georiga
ND
tOSU
PSU
OU
Wisc

those 9 are playing for 4 spots.. 2 losses is out, which at least 3 of this list will have...there is SOOOO much football to play.. I predict it will be clear, with only slight disagreement on the 4th team..

While I agree it usually works out, how do you know three of them will have 2 losses? Or are you just saying history suggests that?

The Hawg Marshal

Why anyone listens to Cowherd is beyond me. And yes he does hate the SEC.

Ā 

GoHogs1091

A loser of a conference championship game is not going to get in over a team who lost a total of 1 game, with that loss coming earlier in the season, especially if the team who lost 1 game earlier in the season ends up winning their own conference championship game.

I predict the 4 teams tomorrow night will be the following.

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Notre Dame

I predict ultimately the 4 teams will be the following at the end of the season.

Winner of Alabama/Georgia
Ohio State
Clemson
Notre Dame

That is provided Ohio State does not lose to Michigan.  If Michigan wins against Ohio State, then it brings into the equation Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Penn State, provided those 3 teams win out in the regular season and one of them wins their conference championship game.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 01:35:57 pm
While I agree it usually works out, how do you know three of them will have 2 losses? Or are you just saying history suggests that?

History, odds and the fact several play each other during the season or during CCCG's... the collar getting tighter makes it difficult during those last few rivalry weekends.. the year LSU won with 2 losses, the CC game participants changed 5 times in the last 2 weeks, though either Bama or LSU were always considered in...  as I said, just so much football to play.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rude1

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 30, 2017, 01:31:30 pm
It's too early to get worked up about this stuff, even though I know that is Cowherd's objective.  What if neither Bama nor Georgia is undefeated when they play?  What if Bama isn't even in the SECCG?
The most logical response. With as much football as there is still left to play, it's way too early to get worked up over the"what ifs"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 30, 2017, 01:21:00 pm
Makes total sense.  This guy hates the SEC.
Most fan bases outside of the SEC hate the SEC. That was the REAL reason we finally got a college football playoff. The powers that be and talking heads scoffed at the idea of any type of playoff in college football. They had no desire a playoff, until the bama v LSU national championship. Not only did another SEC team reach the national championship, they were BOTH from the SEC. They couldn't let that happen again. This could also be why they have been so hesitant to expand the playoffs. The more teams there are, the more likely that they have another sec v sec championship game
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 30, 2017, 01:42:22 pm

I predict ultimately the 4 teams will be the following at the end of the season.

Ohio State
Clemson
Notre Dame

So you'd give it to a one loss ND over a one loss Georgia ?  They played already.. @ ND stadium..... Not sure, especially if Bama and Georgia were the only 2 unbeaten's..

al_pigcino

Quote from: Wildhog on October 30, 2017, 01:13:23 pm
SEC has kinda sucked the last couple of years.
Couple of years?
2014 7-5 highest win total
2015 8-2 (including NC) highest win total
2016 second highest win total

???

By sucks you mean didn't go undefeated?

HotlantaHog

At this point Alabama hasn't played anyone... they beat FSU but FSU turned out to be a terrible team this year... Who else? Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas ...

Georgia would have a better case as a one-loss team than Alabama right now.

I am fine with just letting the winner make it to the playoffs. In a four-team playoff, that makes lots of sense. There are some good Big 12, Big Ten, Pac 12, ACC teams that should be considered, plus Notre Dame. 

The Hawg Marshal

Unless Notre Dame has 3 losses, they will find a way to put them in the playoff. It's sickening.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 30, 2017, 01:51:38 pm
So you'd give it to a one loss ND over a one loss Georgia ?  They played already.. @ ND stadium..... Not sure, especially if Bama and Georgia were the only 2 unbeaten's..

ND is going to be hurt by not having a conf cham game to play in, especially if it boils down to a question of who gets the 4th spot nd or ga. How would they, with any semblance of a straight face, say ND deserved to be in over th only team that beat them just because said team had to go play an extra game likely against the #1 team?

HotlantaHog

The year there were two SEC teams in the championship was the most boring championship game ever. Hope not to see that again.

Ā 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 30, 2017, 01:51:38 pm

That scenario (1 loss Georgia and 1 loss Notre Dame) would make it tough for the committee. 

It may be a moot point though.  Georgia still has to play on the road at Auburn and on the road at Georgia Tech.

Auburn is good enough to beat Georgia in Auburn.  The Georgia/Georgia Tech game is a rivalry game, and strange things can happen in a rivalry game.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 01:55:06 pm
ND is going to be hurt by not having a conf cham game to play in, especially if it boils down to a question of who gets the 4th spot nd or ga. How would they, with any semblance of a straight face, say ND deserved to be in over th only team that beat them just because said team had to go play an extra game likely against the #1 team?

Agree and would add,  another ACC team get's in (Clemson) while those 2 didn't play but ND played an ACC schedule, not sure that would square with all voters..  the no CCG  problem is for everybody.... as it would be for a 2nd SEC member, who had not played in the CCG, looking for an invite... it's better to have been there and lost, so to speak.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 30, 2017, 02:02:22 pm
That scenario (1 loss Georgia and 1 loss Notre Dame) would make it tough for the committee. 

It may be a moot point though.  Georgia still has to play on the road at Auburn and on the road at Georgia Tech.

Auburn is good enough to beat Georgia in Auburn.  The Georgia/Georgia Tech game is a rivalry game, and strange things can happen in a rivalry game.

More likely...

@ Miami
@ Stanford

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 30, 2017, 02:10:22 pm
More likely...

@ Miami
@ Stanford

You are correct.  Both Georgia and Notre Dame don't have an easy path to the playoff.  Both have 2 road games against quality competition.

HognVA

Piggfoot

National Politics and bringing in different TV areas. Thats what it is all about.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 01:55:06 pm

Yes, Notre Dame could get hurt by not playing in a conference championship game, but if they only have 1 loss, then the "cache" of having Notre Dame in the playoff will be strong for the committee.

Hopefully, the committee pays close attention to strength of schedule.  Of course, Clemson will be in if they win out, but for playoff seeding purposes Clemson's strength of schedule is very strong.  In September, Clemson defeated 3 top 15 teams in the same month (Auburn, Louisville, and Virginia Tech were all top 15 ranked when Clemson defeated them).  Someone on another message board posted that is the first time that has ever happened in college football history (defeating 3 top 15 ranked teams in 1 month).

Alabama's schedule has been garbage.  What would be hilarious is if Auburn defeats both Georgia and Alabama.

NuttinItUp

If Notre Dame gets in over a one-loss Georgia team when Georgia BEAT THEM ON THE FIELD, then that isn't fair and everyone should cry foul.

riccoar

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Notre Dame

Those are the 4 today.  ND only loss was to Georgia in ND.  If ND runs the table then its Bama, Georgia, and whomever wins the Big 10. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 30, 2017, 01:06:05 pm
Even if Georgia and Bama are undefeated and ranked #1 & #2 when they meet in the SEC Championship game, Colin thinks the loser should be out of the playoff picture.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/colin-cowherd-college-football-playoff-secs-not-good-enough-year-two-teams

Remember for years we called him Colin Cowturd.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogarusa

They shouldnt...makes 100% sense. they meet on a neutral field in December, winner goes to playoffs and loser doesnt. Its a title game and basically viewed as a quarterfinal game
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogsanity

What I find funny is win 12 in a row then lose the 13th game to the #1 ranked team, a game you earn by winning the 1st 12, and you are not one of the top 4 teams, yet lose the 2nd
game of the year at home, then win 11 in a row and you are one of the 4 best. Makes no sense.

Grizzlyfan

I think it depends on how the game plays out.  But it's hard to argue that the SEC championship game with be something of a play-in game for the final 4.  And the Big 10 title game will probably be the same.  Ohio State/Penn State vs. Wisconsin.

Hogsolo

Who cares.    :puke:  :puke:

So tired of Bama and Satan.   

The con he created and has going to get the biggest, fastest athletes every year and then only keep the cream of the crop every year.   If we were churning and burning young men like he does we'd be criticized and under investigation.   

The thought that Bama has been near or the best for every year of college football since the 19th century is so tiresome.   I won't even watch the playoff games with Bama or Urban the Pious.

SDZ_Hog

cowherd works for fox who pushes big12 and pac12.  If SEC got 2 the other 2 would be ND/ACC/Big10.    Funny how Brando went from an SEC homer to not so much when he changed to Fox. 

31to6

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 30, 2017, 02:33:20 pm
If Notre Dame gets in over a one-loss Georgia team when Georgia BEAT THEM ON THE FIELD, then that isn't fair and everyone should cry foul.
Notre Dame is a special case since they do not have a conference in which to be a champion. That being said, yes, if Georgia is 1 loss they should get in over a 1-loss Notre Dame because of the head-to-head.  Particularly if the SECCG is what it is currently projected: two undefeated teams in a close, well-played game.

But I agree that a conference runner-up should not get in ahead of a conference champion with the same record, particularly if the resume's are comparable. Winning your conference should be the tie-breaker *after* overall record and head-to-head, but before other factors such as strength of schedule, etc.

hogginbama

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 30, 2017, 02:02:22 pm

I thought Auburn sucked this year? At least that what I read on here after they handed our butts to us. Now I am reading they are good enough to beat the #2 team in the country....I am so confused.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

al_pigcino

Quote from: 31to6 on October 30, 2017, 03:27:07 pm
Notre Dame is a special case since they do not have a conference in which to be a champion. That being said, yes, if Georgia is 1 loss they should get in over a 1-loss Notre Dame because of the head-to-head.  Particularly if the SECCG is what it is currently projected: two undefeated teams in a close, well-played game.

But I agree that a conference runner-up should not get in ahead of a conference champion with the same record, particularly if the resume's are comparable. Winning your conference should be the tie-breaker *after* overall record and head-to-head, but before other factors such as strength of schedule, etc.
Or they will leave both of them out when they couldn't decide a winner, ala TCU/Baylor a few years ago. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 03:09:10 pm
What I find funny is win 12 in a row then lose the 13th game to the #1 ranked team, a game you earn by winning the 1st 12, and you are not one of the top 4 teams, yet lose the 2nd
game of the year at home, then win 11 in a row and you are one of the 4 best. Makes no sense.

What would be funny is if Alabama lost.  So Alabama goes from #1 to #5 while losing to only the #2 team. Can you say more teams will be added soon. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Youngsta71701

Now we all should know by now that CowTerd is an SEC hater. Yawn...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Wildhog on October 30, 2017, 01:13:23 pm
SEC has kinda sucked the last couple of years.
Don't really base it on the last couple of years though...should be the best teams for this year.

j-mann

A loser of a conference championship game is not going to get in over a team who lost a total of 1 game, with that loss coming earlier in the season, especially if the team who lost 1 game earlier in the season ends up winning their own conference championship game.

Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Notre Dame

Ohio State
Clemson
Notre Dame

That is provided Ohio State does not lose to Michigan.  If Michigan wins against Ohio State, then it brings into the equation Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Penn State, provided those 3 teams win out in the regular season and one of them wins their conference championship game.

my playoff 4 
1 bama
2  uga 
3 ohio st
4 norte dame   

the pac 12  only has wash  that is playoff  cab    but  soft sch and 1 loss  takes them out     
acc  is Miami and Clem   while clem is better miami has zero l   
big  12  unless okle wins out  i see no hope for them   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

longpig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 30, 2017, 03:10:57 pm
I think it depends on how the game plays out.  But it's hard to argue that the SEC championship game with be something of a play-in game for the final 4.  And the Big 10 title game will probably be the same.  Ohio State/Penn State vs. Wisconsin.

That's how I see it.  #2 Georgia and #1 Bama have a close game in Atlanta then they both go, especially if Georgia wins.  Be harder for the Big 10 to send two if it's #3 vs #4, regardless how the game plays out.  If two conference championships were a #4 close win over #1 and a #3 close win over #2 you could easily have two conferences owning the playoff if the first team out is relatively weak.
Don't be scared, be smart.

HoggieStyle

Bama and Georgia are the two best teams in the country. At least, they are right now.

If they play in the SECCG and it's a close game, I don't see how you could justify not putting both of them in the playoff. I get that everyone is tired of the SEC, but Clemson ain't gonna do it this year. Miami is good but I don't think they can stay on the field with Georgia or Alabama. Ohio Stank will be one of the four if they win out by virtue of their win over Pedo State. Nobody in the Big 12 will sniff the playoff.

Who's left? Wisconsin? UCF? Notre Dame? (blechh)

Kneph13

CowTurd sucks and that's all I have to say about that.
There is no Political Correctness in war

HotlantaHog

Georgia will have a better case if the Dogs lose than Alabama if they lose... Georgia should at least get in ahead of Notre Dame.

Hoping Georgia wins, though...