Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Razorback basketball means to me now

Started by lutherheggs, January 29, 2017, 12:11:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

College basketball teams do not have to win their own conference to still have a chance to play for the NC. 
[/quote]

College football Ohio State

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 02, 2017, 11:22:30 am

College basketball teams do not have to win their own conference to still have a chance to play for the NC. 

College football Ohio State
You left something out. 

"Many times you can even finish 3rd or 4th in your conf and still have a chance to play for it all in March.  Not so in college football."

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/115672/is-syracuse-the-worst-final-four-team-ever
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 02, 2017, 12:07:14 pm
There will be outliers to any data set.

Oh St in college football isn't an outlier.  UConn with a 12-6 conference record winning the NC as a 7 seed was an outlier. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2017, 12:12:38 pm
Oh St in college football isn't an outlier.  UConn with a 12-6 conference record winning the NC as a 7 seed was an outlier. 
Yes, playing in the NC playoffs in the FBS without winning your conf should be considered an outlier.  There are all sorts of outliers based on the data you are looking at.  I was only referring to football.  There are also numerous examples in college basketball.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on February 01, 2017, 10:06:49 am
When JFB was allowed to go out, on his own, and make the hire, he hit more than he missed. Once John White brought in the stupid committee, well the hires fell off real fast. The last guy that JFB was truly able to go get on his own was DVH, and that worked out pretty well. Had it been up t JFB alone, we would have had Tubberville, not HDN. We would have had Self, not Heath.
Agreed.
Frank Broyles ran the AD pretty much on his own from 1974-1997.
John White came in 1997; from that point forward, White had heavy influence over all AD decisions. Frank was effectively neutered.
I say the results from Frank's control were much better than White's control. As you say, far more hits than misses, and more importantly, some real gems, hires of guys who weren't household names who became legends(John McDonnell, Eddie Sutton, Nolan Richardson, etc)

White basically made a mess of everything.

As for the Bill Self story, that was pretty much confirmed years later by Tommy Boyer, who was on the dreaded 'search committee'. He confirmed that Self wanted the job in 2002, and Ark could have had him, but obviously the UA went a different direction. As I've said before, this is the single biggest boondoggle in the past 50 years in UA sports history. All Self has done is win the Big 12 thirteen years in a row now, while the UA has faded into mediocrity.

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 02, 2017, 02:53:14 pm

White basically made a mess of everything.

As for the Bill Self story, that was pretty much confirmed years later by Tommy Boyer, who was on the dreaded 'search committee'. He confirmed that Self wanted the job in 2002, and Ark could have had him, but obviously the UA went a different direction. As I've said before, this is the single biggest boondoggle in the past 50 years in UA sports history. All Self has done is win the Big 12 thirteen years in a row now, while the UA has faded into mediocrity.

I was watching the NCATT that year and as soon as I saw Kent state win their 2nd game I told my wife that Heath would be the next coach at the UofA. The really bad part of that hire, beyond his inexperience, is that it was easy to see his philosophy was not how Kent was playing, he was doing that because it was the hand he was dealt. Everything in his background pointed to a big10 slog it out big man oriented game. That was NEVER going to fly here no matter how successful he might have been.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2017, 03:05:54 pm
I was watching the NCATT that year and as soon as I saw Kent state win their 2nd game I told my wife that Heath would be the next coach at the UofA. The really bad part of that hire, beyond his inexperience, is that it was easy to see his philosophy was not how Kent was playing, he was doing that because it was the hand he was dealt. Everything in his background pointed to a big10 slog it out big man oriented game. That was NEVER going to fly here no matter how successful he might have been.

WV tried to hire him.  They ended up with a good hire. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2017, 03:07:46 pm
WV tried to hire him.  They ended up with a good hire. 

Since Bob Huggins went to Cincy in 1989 he has only missed the post season 1 time, and that was in 12/13 which was wv's 1st year in the big12. 21 ncaat appearances and 4 nit's. That's a coach.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2017, 03:22:17 pm
Since Bob Huggins went to Cincy in 1989 he has only missed the post season 1 time, and that was in 12/13 which was wv's 1st year in the big12. 21 ncaat appearances and 4 nit's. That's a coach.

Well they got John Beilein instead of Heath. 

Yes Huggins is. 

hogsanity

Here is what Hog basketball has meant to me through my lifetime ( I was born in 1970 )

70's-85 a chance to watch or listen to the games with my dad. I was playing in jrhs in 82-85 and I ate, breathed and slept the game. It meant staying up late to watch the games that were on tape delay. It mean hoping they would be part of the Sat tv package for the swc. It meant getting to stay up late for the ncaat if they got shipped out west.

85-97 - a new era. I was playing in hs from 85-88, so everything still revolved around basketball. Hogs made their 1st NCAAT under Nolan in 88, just a week after my great grandma died. I watched the Villanova game with my grandma, it was the 1st time she had a break from everything in a while. Sadly they lost, but something I still remember. The last tape delay game I remember was when they played TX in Fay one year, I was staying with grandma because grandpa was in the hospital and she could not drive. We avoided the news that night so we could watch the game not knowing what happened. Hogs pounded Texas that night.

Got married in 93, went to dozens of games with my wife or my dad or a buddy of mine who always seemed to get great tickets. Walked a mile on ice to get to my dads to watch the 94 KY game on a Wed night. Of course the NCAA Title and the runner up season.

98- 1st child came in 98 - spent took him to a few. Last child came in 2003. with their school events sports, and all the other things that go with life, plus a lousy product, it became less of a focus.

Now, with dvr, every game on tv, a hs sr and a 8th grader both active in all kids of stuff plus work, reffing and church, other things just became more important. I try to keep up, but keep up with what? 30+ regular season games just to get to the sect and then maybe if we are lucky a 8 or 9 seed in the ncaat? Or a special year with a special player or 2 like 14/15 where they win a ncaat game? After what I grew up with, that is just not satisfying. I grew up with a team everyone was scared of. A team where if you came to Arkansas to play them you knew you would lose. Now the only thing people are afraid of playing the Hogs is that if they do lose it will be a "bad" loss on their resume.

But, beyond the Hogs, college basketball just is not what it was. Would Day/Mayberry/Miller have played more than 1 year in today's game in college before going to the NBA? Those great UNLV teams would have never existed, and do not exist anymore.

WilsonHog

I will readily admit that I do not watch college basketball the way I do college football. I have not watched an entire college basketball game, other than those of the Razorbacks, all season. I won't until the conference tournaments start, because I love post-season basketball. In contrast, I'll watch college football all day and then turn on friggin' Arizona State and Cal at 9:00 p.m. on a Saturday night.

I'll also admit that I have almost no recollection of Stan Heath's first two years in Fayetteville. Why? Because we were 9-19 and 12-16. What's the point in spending entertainment time and dollars on that? I'm following this year's team pretty closely, and enjoying myself more times than not. Why? Because we're 17-5 with a chance to make the NCAA Tournament.

oldbooniehog

Not watching the Missouri game today. No need to. Check of Hogville shows Hogs down 13 to 5-win Mizzou. Basketball program seems to still be dead.

Granny fan

Kevin

Bring me sarcastic laughter, watching the hogs play
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22