Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville

Started by Hog in Iowa, February 28, 2017, 11:39:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog in Iowa

Over the last 2 or 3 days I've noticed the WholeHog Sports writers (RD & others) refer to Arkansas as The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville in their columns... such as so-and-so has scholarship offers from Texas, Alabama, and the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.  Does anyone know anything about why this is?  Do they just want to make sure the readers are not getting Arkansas and UAM confused?  Just seems strange, unnecessary, and kinda' dopey.
The border town shook my hand, it was the gateway to some other land.
The border town is the great divide, just the gateway to some other side.
I got to get across. ~ Chris Whitley

ricepig

Obvious some little tit for tat going on amongst some ADG staff. RD posted an email address for those wishing to bring it up with his editors/higher ups.

Three and Snout

I think they should have to say "The FLAGSHIP CAMPUS of the University of Arkansas system...at Fayetteville".   ;)

RUN N GUN

It's a UA system thing that went into affect I think about a month ago. The same thing has happen at UALR.

ricepig

Quote from: RUN N GUN on February 28, 2017, 12:15:30 pm
It's a UA system thing that went into affect I think about a month ago. The same thing has happen at UALR.

No, they are calling them UALR, although they had branded their athletics as "Little Rock".

I've noticed that too. It's really annoying.

HOGINTENNESSEE

It's stupid. Tennessee is technically The University of Tennessee at Knoxville. As there is a UT Martin and Chattanooga.

But they call it Tennessee. As we should be Arkansas

bennyl08

It is just the University of Arkansas. The other schools are offshoots of that university. The flagship school needs no locational marker unless the offspring begin to rival the parent (UC Davis, UC Berkley, UCSD, etc...).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RUN N GUN

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 12:18:07 pm
No, they are calling them UALR, although they had branded their athletics as "Little Rock".

Not true the school has re branded the name to UA Little Rock, just go take a look at the school website.

ricepig

Quote from: RUN N GUN on February 28, 2017, 12:45:13 pm
Not true the school has re branded the name to UA Little Rock, just go take a look at the school website.

I'm telling you that the ADG refers to them as UALR. As far as rebranding, I was just going on this.

http://lrtrojans.com

hobhog

Quote from: Karma on February 28, 2017, 12:23:04 pm
I've noticed that too. It's really annoying.

Word. Just like when announcers say "scoring the basketball" and "rebounding the basketball". WTH?

woodhog14

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 12:49:00 pm
I'm telling you that the ADG refers to them as UALR. As far as rebranding, I was just going on this.

In the ADG Sports section today they referred to them as University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

sowmonella

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 28, 2017, 12:41:25 pm
It is just the University of Arkansas. The other schools are offshoots of that university. The flagship school needs no locational marker unless the offspring begin to rival the parent (UC Davis, UC Berkley, UCSD, etc...).
UC(LA) 😳
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: woodhog14 on February 28, 2017, 01:02:53 pm
In the ADG Sports section today they referred to them as University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Well, they haven't been consistent with it, because the other day they were UALR, and it was the University of Arkansas @ Fayetteville.

Hawgar The Horrible

No biggie. The Razorback beat writers for the ADG are reminding themselves #1 Stadium Drive will not be their game day destination in a couple of years.

Oops!
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 12:49:00 pm

That is Wally being a petty jackass.

Saying U of A - Fayetteville is a last ditch effort to show their angst at taking away WMS games.

Sivad

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on February 28, 2017, 01:35:23 pm
Saying U of A - Fayetteville is a last ditch effort to show their angst at taking away WMS games.
The "journalists" (LOL) at DemGaz trying to make a stand.
Rest easy- it's just their small pond...the world knows us as Arkansas and the University of Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: Sivad on February 28, 2017, 01:39:04 pm
The "journalists" (LOL) at DemGaz trying to make a stand.
Rest easy- it's just their small pond...the world knows us as Arkansas and the University of Arkansas.

From what I've read elsewhere, the journalist aren't behind this, think a little higher up the food chain.

Inhogswetrust

February 28, 2017, 02:06:56 pm #19 Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:56:16 pm by Inhogswetrust
There are a LOT of University "systems" similar to the University of Arkansas system with multiple campuses. Most have one larger "flagship" or "main" campus. The flagship campus population might not always be the largest though. Case in point UCLA is larger than UC Berkeley but Berkeley is considered the "flagship" campus. The University of California system is also comprised of 10 campuses.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 01:42:03 pm
From what I've read elsewhere, the journalist aren't behind this, think a little higher up the food chain.

Maybe one of the higher ups of the Democrap is a Texas University in Austin grad.

The news director of KARK is a shorthorn so it wouldn't surprise me.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

John Snow

Ever since the guys from from Hawg Illustrated took over whole hog sports it gone down hill quickly. Ending the comments under the articles was a horrible idea because they don't give a direct link in message board  to the actual article in order to have a comment about the article. I also feel like most of the articles are cheerleader fluff piece in order to please Jeff Long in allowing them access  and less real substance like what Davenport writes or what Mike Irwin tells us what is really going on behind the scenes on the radio or on hogville.

ricepig

Quote from: John Snow on February 28, 2017, 04:17:41 pm
Ever since the guys from from Hawg Illustrated took over whole hog sports it gone down hill quickly. Ending the comments under the articles was a horrible idea because they don't give a direct link in message board  to the actual article in order to have a comment about the article. I also feel like most of the articles are cheerleader fluff piece in order to please Jeff Long in allowing them access  and less real substance like what Davenport writes or what Mike Irwin tells us what is really going on behind the scenes on the radio or on hogville.

Nothing is stopping you from starting a thread on the articles, is there?

jabber71

You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

factchecker

Quote from: John Snow on February 28, 2017, 04:17:41 pm

You are complaining about not being able to comment on the article?

There are plenty of message boards for you to spew your garbage across.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

CrookedSquealliry

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on February 28, 2017, 04:51:31 pm
You are complaining about not being able to comment on the article?

There are plenty of message boards for you to spew your garbage across.

Forget it. He knows nothing. ;)
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Supermark101

March 01, 2017, 03:17:46 am #27 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:07:38 am by Supermark101
As long as AState doesn't start going by THE Arkansas State University, I could care less about this.

Athog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 28, 2017, 12:27:02 pm
It's stupid. Tennessee is technically The University of Tennessee at Knoxville. As there is a UT Martin and Chattanooga.

But they call it Tennessee. As we should be Arkansas

End of story period!

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Pork Twain

It is like THE Ohio St university, but even less cool
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Peter Porker

Quote from: hobhog on February 28, 2017, 12:56:36 pm
Word. Just like when announcers say "scoring the basketball" and "rebounding the basketball". WTH?

Our coach does that as well.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

About as annoying as people saying "THE" Ohio State University
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

nesjunk

They did this same thing in the late 80s when the media was pushing for the Hogs to play Arkansas State and UALR in basketball.  All of the ADG articles referred to us as "UAF".  Once the Hogs won the NCAAT, they accepted the status quo and moved on.

LRRandy

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 01, 2017, 07:03:06 am
About as annoying as people saying "THE" Ohio State University
well, it is THE name of THE school.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hoggish1

Political correctness stupidity?  Nobody else does that.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2017, 01:09:18 pm
Well, they haven't been consistent with it, because the other day they were UALR, and it was the University of Arkansas @ Fayetteville.

Well, if they didn't do that, people would get confused about which U of A system school has an FBS football team.
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 01, 2017, 03:30:01 pm
Well, if they didn't do that, people would get confused about which U of A system school has an FBS football team.

True, we are quite forgetful.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 01, 2017, 02:51:21 pm
Political correctness stupidity?  Nobody else does that.

Has nothing to do with political correctness.

Also, almost every other school where @            applies also does that. Academically, you often hear about UT-Knoxville. When talking about the university as a whole, I always say UC-Boulder. UNC is often referred to as UNC-Chapel Hill, and so on and so forth. UM-Ann Arbor...UW-Madison, UT-Austin, etc...

Sports are one of the few areas where you don't see the city distinction since it is rare for two schools in the same university system to have teams in the same division/conversation.

Hoggish1

Quote from: sowmonella on February 28, 2017, 01:04:17 pm
UC(LA) 😳

Not even close.

There are two UC schools playing football.  That's a separation.

Hoggish1

Quote from: sowmonella on February 28, 2017, 01:04:17 pm
UC(LA) 😳

Not even close.

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2017, 04:37:34 pm

Also, almost every other school where @            applies also does that. Academically, you often hear about UT-Knoxville. When talking about the university as a whole, I always say UC-Boulder. UNC is often referred to as UNC-Chapel Hill, and so on and so forth. UM-Ann Arbor...UW-Madison, UT-Austin, etc...

Sports are one of the few areas where you don't see the city distinction since it is rare for two schools in the same university system to have teams in the same division/conversation.

We were talking about sports.  That's why I said stupidity.  When the You of A is talking about anything else they can call it @ Fayetteville.  UT @ Austin shows up a lot but not when they are playing a game...

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hog in Iowa on February 28, 2017, 11:39:18 am
Over the last 2 or 3 days I've noticed the WholeHog Sports writers (RD & others) refer to Arkansas as The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville in their columns... such as so-and-so has scholarship offers from Texas, Alabama, and the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.  Does anyone know anything about why this is?  Do they just want to make sure the readers are not getting Arkansas and UAM confused?  Just seems strange, unnecessary, and kinda' dopey.

No big deal. Just like the University of Texas at Austin, University Of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, University of Mississippi at Oxford, University of Georgia at Athens, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, the University of Oklahoma at Norman, or the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. I would expect our glorious sportswriters to make the change on them asap.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2017, 04:37:34 pm

Just because you say it doesn't mean most do. I believe most do not say the city name for any "main" or "flagship" university.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 01, 2017, 08:25:48 pm
Not even close.

Actually there are three UC schools playing football. The UC Davis Aggies play in the Big Sky Conference.

Ex-Trumpet

Doesn't make any difference...most ADG readers are just other sports journalists anyway.  Apparently they need the help identifying where the campus is.  Erin Andrews thinks we are in Arizona.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Razorbackers

ricepig

elksnort

Off topic, but I can not stand that Blue Cross uses the phrase, "Live fearless".

All that money and they can not afford nor care to use standard grammar.

kaki

Just to chime in, when referring to the school in Jonesboro, do they say ASU-Jonesboro as not to confuse them with ASU-Beebe or ASU-Mountain Home?

RME

Quote from: kaki on March 03, 2017, 10:39:14 am
Just to chime in, when referring to the school in Jonesboro, do they say ASU-Jonesboro as not to confuse them with ASU-Beebe or ASU-Mountain Home?

I consider ASU-Newport to be the flagship of the Arkansas State University System. Without them, how would I have been able to take easy online Spanish classes that transferred credits to the University of Arkansas*?

*Fayetteville