Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

24/7 Team Talent Composite Rankings

Started by NEA_HogFan, January 31, 2018, 07:53:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NEA_HogFan

Never seen this list posted here before. According to these rankings in terms of talent on the roster right now, we are #22 in the country. What are your thoughts on this?

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

grayhawg

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on January 31, 2018, 07:53:36 am
Never seen this list posted here before. According to these rankings in terms of talent on the roster right now, we are #22 in the country. What are your thoughts on this?

And #8 in the SEC, we need to be in the top 3 or 4 if we want to be relevant in the SEC .
JMHO

immahog

That tells me we have talent we had bad coaching and we play the toughest schedule in America in the best conference in america
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

ricepig

Quote from: grayhawg on January 31, 2018, 08:02:08 am
And #8 in the SEC, we need to be in the top 3 or 4 if we want to be relevant in the SEC .
JMHO

We ain't ever getting there, hopefully top 6. I guess we'll see if Morris can coach them.

rtr

I am not sure these type of rankings mean that much.  Obviously you need talent, but with everyone in the conference having it, a premium is put on great coaching.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

26.2Hog

I noticed that ranking is from Sept. 20.   

I will be curious to see what it looks like after this class is signed.

Poker_hog

#22 is not bad.  Problem is we play 5 teams with more "team talent".

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

LumberBacks

It's a very general metric but, in general, it's what you'd expect.  Bama #1, tOSU #2.  It's also last year's rosters.

But Arkansas is an anomoly. Guess which team with a top 25 ranking DIDN'T go bowling last year?   Yup.  That says A LOT about the subpar coaching, subpar system that BB rolled out and BB's inability to maintain a winning attitude among the players. 

Obviously teams rack up their up their points in this ranking with the 4 and 5 starts.  But ask yourself if the following players fulfilled their prophecy.  Very few have, which again suggests subpar coaching.  Top 8 rated players:  Agim, Bijon, Wallace, Whaley, Raulerson, Calloway, Froholdt, Montaric.  Agim has flashed and hopefully will blossom under the new staff.  Froholdt flashed but yr 4 still learning - we'll see this year.  Montaric don't know.  The rest of been serviceable but not stars. 

In other words, the Hogs should have been much better in 2017 according to the rankings. 

Been10Hog

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 31, 2018, 08:16:34 am
#22 is not bad.  Problem is we play 5 teams with more "team talent".
This is the problem I have with predicting season outcomes without taking our talent deficit into consideration. By this stat we SHOULD lose at least 5 games next year based on talent. Then, by definition, we have to overachieve to get to 8 wins! It aint gonna be easy! We can't just "out coach" Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M and Ole Miss! They have good coaches too! I think Morris has given us hope to decrease the talent deficit!

bphi11ips

Random thoughts:

I wish I'd seen the demand for on-line recruiting services early.

The list resembles in makeup and order lists of the best college football programs in history.

You don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows. 

I'd be pretty upset if I were a USC, Florida State, Tennessee, Texas, or UCLA fan. 

The Big 12 must have some pretty good coaches.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

steveaustin69

JMHO

#3 in the Big 12 though

I Am Smart

Quote from: rtr on January 31, 2018, 08:08:47 am
I am not sure these type of rankings mean that much.  Obviously you need talent, but with everyone in the conference having it, a premium is put on great coaching.

As well as effort. Immeasurable, but very important
"Stupid is as stupid does" - Forrest Gump

I Am Smart

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 31, 2018, 08:45:34 am
Random thoughts:

I wish I'd seen the demand for on-line recruiting services early.

The list resembles in makeup and order lists of the best college football programs in history.

You don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows. 

I'd be pretty upset if I were a USC, Florida State, Tennessee, Texas, or UCLA fan. 

The Big 12 must have some pretty good coaches.

Same, very ugly color combinations

I Am Smart

GoHogzzGo

JMHO

This. So much talent in conference to overcome. So we have to out coach them like Dan Mullen. Hope CCM is that man.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: immahog on January 31, 2018, 08:03:59 am
That tells me we have talent we had bad coaching and we play the toughest schedule in America in the best conference in america
our coaches SUCKED!!!!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Al Boarland

#22 would put us in a very advantageous position in the big 12.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 31, 2018, 09:49:52 am

We could probably vie for a conference title and a CFP spot every few years if we were the 3rd most talented program in a power five conference.

Vantage 8 dude

If one goes strictly by this, which one rarely can, we should have received far better return on our (big) money from this staff over the past several years. Obviously the overall talent needs to continue to be upgraded as compared to our SEC brethren; however, to underperform as badly as we have the past couple of years is totally inexcusable and disgraceful.  :-[ :-[ >:(

colbs

While Arkansas is 8th in the SEC the average recruit rating is not much difference between 25th and 11th.  Good coaching can make up this difference.  Plus with recruiting rankings you have to take with a grain of salt, they aren't exact.

I Am Smart

Quote from: colbs on January 31, 2018, 10:10:17 am
While Arkansas is 8th in the SEC the average recruit rating is not much difference between 25th and 11th.  Good coaching can make up this difference.  Plus with recruiting rankings you have to take with a grain of salt, they aren't exact.

Can is the key word?

How often has it though? Not very often does coaching trump talent.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 31, 2018, 09:49:52 am
The #22 team shouldn't haven't to come from behind to beat coastal Carolina either. Thanks Bielema!  :D
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

oldhawg

In 2017 three teams in the SEC finished with 7-1 regular season conference records, one team was 6-2, one team was 5-3, and four team were 4-4.  So the eighth place team was  4-4 in conference.

Those teams were Kentucky, Missouri and Texas A&M, all at 7-6 overall record, and Mississippi State at 9-4 overall.

Based solely on an average eighth place SEC recruiting ranking, then an expectation of seven to nine wins last season would have been reasonable.

colbs

Quote from: I Am Smart on January 31, 2018, 10:14:02 am
Can is the key word?

Almost half of the teams on this list did not finish in the top 25 final rankings.  So either coaching has something to do with it, rankings are off some, or a little bit of both.  Arkansas has more 4 & 5* than they have had since I can remember but there are less wins. 

FutureMan

It tells me this team has talent for Coach Morris to use.  There will be growing pains because of the new system but there are good players on this roster.

It also tells me Coach B's faults were not in recruiting; It was in coaching and development.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

I Am Smart

Quote from: FutureMan on January 31, 2018, 10:41:13 am
It tells me this team has talent for Coach Morris to use.  There will be growing pains because of the new system but there are good players on this roster.

It also tells me Coach B's faults were not in recruiting; It was in coaching and development.

Also depth.

When injuries added up, most of the time there was not enough quality behind the 1st strings.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LumberBacks on January 31, 2018, 08:20:58 am
It's a very general metric but, in general, it's what you'd expect.  Bama #1, tOSU #2.  It's also last year's rosters.

But Arkansas is an anomoly. Guess which team with a top 25 ranking DIDN'T go bowling last year?   Yup.  That says A LOT about the subpar coaching, subpar system that BB rolled out and BB's inability to maintain a winning attitude among the players. 

Obviously teams rack up their up their points in this ranking with the 4 and 5 starts.  But ask yourself if the following players fulfilled their prophecy.  Very few have, which again suggests subpar coaching.  Top 8 rated players:  Agim, Bijon, Wallace, Whaley, Raulerson, Calloway, Froholdt, Montaric.  Agim has flashed and hopefully will blossom under the new staff.  Froholdt flashed but yr 4 still learning - we'll see this year.  Montaric don't know.  The rest of been serviceable but not stars. 

In other words, the Hogs should have been much better in 2017 according to the rankings. 

We did have a ton of injuries that made the bad coaching look even worse.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Al Boarland

Quote from: I Am Smart on January 31, 2018, 10:14:02 am
Can is the key word?

Is the assumption that the more talented teams have bad coaching?

redeye

More proof that Bielema recruited well and kept retention rates high.  8th in the SEC was normal under Nutt, back when SEC teams had LESS talent.

What's interesting is that we're ahead of Washington, both MSU's, TCU and Wisconsin, but all of those teams have had a lot of recent success.  Mississippi State even did it in the SEC.

Grizzlyfan

Of course we know these lists measure the # of players / starters returning.  Measuring "talent" is a little more tricky.

SooieGeneris

Anyone can make anything of this. The naysayers can say all they want about "oh woe is us, poor lil' ol' arkinsaw, 8th in the SEC" chorus but there were teams ranked below us on that chart-in the SEC, who far outperformed us on the field.

If this chart is the be all end all, why play the games? Just give out the NC trophy on signing day and save the players all those "voluntary" workouts and concussions..

Where did UCF finish in that ranking? I guess someone forgot to tell them they had no business on the same field with Aubarn..

Notice also, Clemson at #9. A team that has been in the playoff THREE years in a row with a NC. Only 'Bama has done more on the field and they are #1. What happened to those other 7 teams in front of Clemson?

What this means is that the old coaching staff did a very poor job, underachieving with Top 20 talent with a team that according to some self-appointed experts has "no talent."
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

buldozer

That list looks about right to me.... we have a lot of talent that wasn't utilized and if the most was made of our talent we could beat some of the 8 SEC teams ahead of us. But lots of improvement in coaching is necessary for this to happen.

Hogindasticks

Or different philosophy on how to use the talent. 

hobhog

I Am Smart

LAGNAF

JMHO

Arkansas is 9th in the SEC

1.    Alabama
4.    Georgia   
6.    LSU
8.    Auburn
12.  Tennessee
15.  A&M
17.  Florida
18.  Ole Miss
22.  Arkansas
25.  Mississippi State
27.  South Carolina
31.  Kentucky
42.  Missouri
45.  Vanderbilt

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

steveaustin69

Quote from: LAGNAF on January 31, 2018, 03:59:41 pm
Arkansas is 9th in the SEC

1.    Alabama
4.    Georgia   
6.    LSU
8.    Auburn
12.  Tennessee
15.  A&M
17.  Florida
18.  Ole Miss
22.  Arkansas
25.  Mississippi State
27.  South Carolina
31.  Kentucky
42.  Missouri
45.  Vanderbilt

Third in the Big 12. Makes ya wonder

MuskogeeHogFan

January 31, 2018, 06:29:39 pm #40 Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:00:37 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

And people wonder why it is so difficult to play in the SEC. Through the top 25, check this out. 7 of the 10 from the SEC are in the SEC West and are included in the overall top 25.

How many conference championship game appearances and national play-off (including the former BCS) appearances come from this overall grouping of teams across all conferences?

Rank          SEC           Rank         Big Ten            Rank          Pac 12      Rank        ACC           Rank       IND        Rank          Big 12
1           Alabama           2           Ohio St               3             USC           5          Florida St     10          ND         13            Texas
4           Georgia            7           Michigan             11            UCLA          9         Clemson                                 16             Okla
6           LSU                19          Penn St              14            Stanford     20        Miami            
8           Auburn                                                  21            Az State                  
12         Tenn                                                     23            Oregon                  
15         TX A&M                                                 24            Wash                  
17         Florida                              
18         Ole Miss                              
22         Arkansas                              
25         Miss St                              
Go Hogs Go!

rtr

Not sure I put that much stock in rankings such as this but they are fun to talk about.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Qadi999

All you need to know to understand why Coach BB had the record he did is to look at Arkansas talent level #22 and Coastal Carolina #131. And we have to come from behind to win this game by 1 point and the players celebrated like they had won the Nat Champ.

Hoggish1

Watch out.  Could be 1998 all over again.

Pork Twain

JMHO
Never going to happen.

That being said, we have a lot of talent on our roster.  Talent was not the problem the last two years, coaching was.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/