Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson in 90 seconds

Started by hogsanity, January 18, 2018, 08:15:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

All you need to know about why things are not going to get better can be seen in about 90 seconds around the 6 minute mark of the 2nd half last night. Hogs had scrapped and scraped and gotten it to 10 and had the ball. Stagnant stand around offense results in a bad shot, Fla comes down, Hogs chase the ball, leave a shooter wide open, BANG THREE. Hogs then make a bad pass, FLA transition, BANG THREE, HOgs turnover, Fla gimme, game over.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Lanny

Agree 100%.  Poorly coached team this season
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hawgball40

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 08:15:16 am
All you need to know about why things are not going to get better can be seen in about 90 seconds around the 6 minute mark of the 2nd half last night. Hogs had scrapped and scraped and gotten it to 10 and had the ball. Stagnant stand around offense results in a bad shot, Fla comes down, Hogs chase the ball, leave a shooter wide open, BANG THREE. Hogs then make a bad pass, FLA transition, BANG THREE, HOgs turnover, Fla gimme, game over.
I'd like to say that subbing out Gafford and Barford at 15:47 into the game with the lead killed our momentum.  florida immediately went on a 7-0 run and we never came back from it. Horrible substitution patterns.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Lanny on January 18, 2018, 08:16:22 am
Agree 100%.  Poorly coached team this season
I agree with this. We all talk about MA needing his guys, but Barford and Macon aren't really his guys. They don't play very good defense and are selfish on the offensive end, but they're too good not to play. I think the result is that MA looks bad, showing he can't coach and adjust effectively based on his personnel.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Nickle-Pig

I think you have said this before maybe.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

Letsroll1200

Did Mike tell Barford to try to go one on one? Did Mike coach Macon to throw the ball out of bounds? The big two has to play bigger. Barford scored 28 but Macon did not have his best game.

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 18, 2018, 08:55:07 am
Did Mike tell Barford to try to go one on one? Did Mike coach Macon to throw the ball out of bounds? The big two has to play bigger. Barford scored 28 but Macon did not have his best game.

I doubt he told them anything, I do not think he knows what to tell any of them. He sure does not know how to correct any of it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

he probably told them to try harder and to man up. he never does any real coaching.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 08:56:45 am
I do not think he knows what to tell any of them. He sure does not know how to correct any of it.

I know you don't like CMA and I'm not saying you don't have valid reasons for not liking him but this comment is garbage and I think you know it.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 18, 2018, 08:58:58 am
I know you don't like CMA and I'm not saying you don't have valid reasons for not liking him but this comment is garbage and I think you know it.

His comment is pretty much spot on.  If it's garbage, where's the proof it's garbage?

hogsanity

Then why, after 61/2 seasons are they still switching every ball screen, even though it kills them time after time after time after time?

I called game this week where one team switched the ball screen the entire 1st Q and they were getting hurt doing so. Guess what their coach told them in between quarters, yes, you guessed it, stop switching. They stopped and it shut down what the opponent had been doing. Why do the Hogs continue to do this, you'd think it would be really easy to stop doing. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 18, 2018, 09:02:45 am
His comment is pretty much spot on.  If it's garbage, where's the proof it's garbage?

His comment suggests that CMA knows nothing about basketball. If this were true, how did we make the tourney 2 out of the last three years? How did CMA last for 30 something years as an assistant and a head coach at three different schools? How is it that CMA is only one of 4 active coaches (ten seasons or longer) who hasn't had a losing record?

If you, or he can give a serious, well reasoned answer to those questions I will withdraw my comment.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 09:10:44 am
Then why, after 61/2 seasons are they still switching every ball screen, even though it kills them time after time after time after time?

This is a fair critcism, unlike the other comment I responded to. I have no answer to that question although I do see a lot of other teams do it too.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 18, 2018, 09:13:47 am
His comment suggests that CMA knows nothing about basketball. If this were true, how did we make the tourney 2 out of the last three years? How did CMA last for 30 something years as an assistant and a head coach at three different schools? How is it that CMA is only one of 4 active coaches (ten seasons or longer) who hasn't had a losing record?

If you, or he can give a serious, well reasoned answer to those questions I will withdraw my comment.

Wrong, and I have said it consistently, Mike will only coach one way and is either unwilling or incapable of doing anything else. If it is the former, that's just selfish, if it is the latter, that is just sad.

FineAsSwine

I called game this week where one team switched the ball screen the entire 1st Q and they were getting hurt doing so. Guess what their coach told them in between quarters, yes, you guessed it, stop switching. They stopped and it shut down what the opponent had been doing. Why do the Hogs continue to do this, you'd think it would be really easy to stop doing. 

Apparently, this is the strategy that is being employed and reason therefor. Not saying it is working well but at least there is a method to the madness. Also, CMA did back off of the switching as the game went on. So, he did make an adjustment.

http://hooptactics.net/premium/defense/disruptivepressure/defscreensoffball.php

In screening situations, jump switching is the most effective way to disrupt screens and deny passing lanes. Automatically switching on contact eliminates any hesitation or indecision on the part of the defenders. It not only totally disrupts any type of screening offensive flow, but also results in fewer fouls being committed.
Hogs up! Covid down!

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 09:21:03 am
Wrong, and I have said it consistently, Mike will only coach one way and is either unwilling or incapable of doing anything else. If it is the former, that's just selfish, if it is the latter, that is just sad.
Kinda like your posting style.  What's your excuse?

FineAsSwine

But your original comment that I responded to was that CMA doesn't know what to tell his players and he doesn't know how to make corrections based on what is going on on the court.

I am saying that, based upon his body of work (which is extensive), those comments cannot be true. If they were, I would be making 2.4 million a year coaching basketball somewhere.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Derjen

I watched it live and it was THAT bad...

Kevin

he has never stopped them from going one on one, so yes, he has told them it is ok
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 18, 2018, 09:26:20 am
But your original comment that I responded to was that CMA doesn't know what to tell his players and he doesn't know how to make corrections based on what is going on on the court.

I am saying that, based upon his body of work (which is extensive), those comments cannot be true. If they were, I would be making 2.4 million a year coaching basketball somewhere.

Really? Lots of coaches that you would not want here for anything have resumes just as good or better than Mike's.

If the coach of the Razorbacks was not named Mike Anderson, many of you would have wanted his head after yr 5.

scottwillrazbackfan1

This may sound crazy, but I think the problem is no true PG. Everyone is pounding on Macon, but if you watch the game, how many times is he feeding the post, driving and dishing, trying to make something happen; more than Barford I can assure you.  Whereas Barford stands and dribble, dribble, dribble then shoots or drives but never passes. Macon is trying to be a PG that arkansas needs in a bad way. Bring Barford off the bench.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2018, 09:39:53 am
he has never stopped them from going one on one, so yes, he has told them it is ok

Use of absolutes are a sign that you don't have a serious argument.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on January 18, 2018, 09:48:30 am
This may sound crazy, but I think the problem is no true PG. Everyone is pounding on Macon, but if you watch the game, how many times is he feeding the post, driving and dishing, trying to make something happen; more than Barford I can assure you.  Whereas Barford stands and dribble, dribble, dribble then shoots or drives but never passes. Macon is trying to be a PG that arkansas needs in a bad way. Bring Barford off the bench.

Just anohter in a long line of things Mike has said is not really important.

Our system does not need a true PG

Our system does not need to rebound well, we make it up off turnovers and steals

Our system does not need set plays, we feed off the flow, off tempo

Our system gives up some easy shots, but it is all part of speeding up the game to force turnovers.

Our system gives up threes sometimes because of the traps, but we have to speed the game up

All reasons why they do not do fundamental things and why they are getting beaten the same way over and over and over.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 09:47:16 am
Really? Lots of coaches that you would not want here for anything have resumes just as good or better than Mike's.

If the coach of the Razorbacks was not named Mike Anderson, many of you would have wanted his head after yr 5.

Let's move on because this is in no way a coherent response to my original reply to your criticism that CMA knows nothing to tell his players and he has no idea how to make any corrections.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Kevin

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 18, 2018, 09:49:23 am
Use of absolutes are a sign that you don't have a serious argument.

if the actions have not changed, then i can safely say never.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 09:52:18 am

Our system does not need to rebound well, we make it up off turnovers and steals

Our system gives up some easy shots, but it is all part of speeding up the game to force turnovers.

Our system gives up threes sometimes because of the traps, but we have to speed the game up

All reasons why they do not do fundamental things and why they are getting beaten the same way over and over and over.

a team can trap, and play fast & still be fundamentally skilled team

hobhog

It's quite obvious that opposing programs can see every weakness and exploit it. MA doesn't seem to game plan anything. It really is getting sad....

FineAsSwine

January 18, 2018, 10:03:06 am #27 Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:16:13 am by FineAsSwine

Because we run a motion offense

Motion offenses do not use set plays, although we run a few from time to time.

Legitimate strategy/tradeoff (doesn't mean it is working as it should right now though)

See previous response.

You may not like uptempo basketball or the version of it that CMA employs but it is a legitimate strategy and it works and many other teams do it nowadays. Most seem to be doing it better than us right now though.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogsanity

Quote from: hobhog on January 18, 2018, 09:56:01 am
It's quite obvious that opposing programs can see every weakness and exploit it. MA doesn't seem to game plan anything. It really is getting sad....

It must be fun getting ready to play the Hogs. Opposing coach " Guys, one or two of you will have a career game against them, and as a team we will get tons of layups and open 3's. On defense just stay close to your man, don't help, and then go rebound after they jack up a shot with 3 seconds left on the shot clock."

OkieBack

Mike's issue to me is the same as its been the last few years.  Defense, defense, and more defense.  The style he runs relies so heavily on turnovers and quick scoring which all stem from defense.  Get a true PG in there and bring in a couple Tasmanian Devils to play D and I think problem solved.  May be Mike needs some help recruiting these types.

It's always been about getting more opportunities and getting easy baskets from defensive steals.  They just aren't playing the intense 40 minutes God intended the Hogs to play.  Ramp up your D, out-hustle your opponents, and you'll see the results. 

hogsanity

Quote from: OkieBack on January 18, 2018, 10:05:39 am
Mike's issue to me is the same as its been the last few years.  Defense, defense, and more defense.  The style he runs relies so heavily on turnovers and quick scoring which all stem from defense.  Get a true PG in there and bring in a couple Tasmanian Devils to play D and I think problem solved.  May be Mike needs some help recruiting these types.

It's always been about getting more opportunities and getting easy baskets from defensive steals.  They just aren't playing the intense 40 minutes God intended the Hogs to play.  Ramp up your D, out-hustle your opponents, and you'll see the results. 

Problem is, so many teams now are full of guys that can handle the ball, even a lot of 4's and 5's can handle it. Gone are the days of forcing 20+ to's consistently.

ATU HOG

It really isn't that hard to switch or jam a ball screen.  Many junior highs in Northwest Arkansas do a tremendous job teaching that skill

Kevin

the game has moved back to skilled players, not just athletes.  steph curry, draymond green, kevin Durant, westbrook, have all led to this.

multiple guys who can dribble, pass, and shoot has made our system tough to run

Danny J

This post is spot on...

Keep switching 1-5 and we will finish 7-11 in SEC play...period. I keep posting this but will do once more. If it wasn't for foul trouble for both mizzou and Tenn AT HOME we lose simply because the other team wasn't deep enough and we needed OT to beat one of them.

Last year we stopped the switching, for the most part, after the Vandy loss. Coincidence we went on a long run? Hmmmmm....

If you want to switch 1-5 you better have height and length 1-5. Playing guys like Beard(short), Macon(not strong) and Thompson(slow) and switching those guys? Those 3 are being exploited the most by opposing teams.

Start playing matchup zone and hedging and rotating back when playing man. Problem on D solved and Mike knows this. He did it last year. Pushing tempo is going to be his downfall without the correct personnel the same as CBB in football. Pure stubbornness

rude1

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2018, 09:39:53 am
Stop them how? Sit them? Really? Who do you replace them with? Now I agree he put himself in this position with recruiting so bad, he literally had to get a couple of  talented juco kids in here to save his job, now he is forced to sink or swim with them.

Kevin

yes you sit them. the bench is the best motivator

rude1

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2018, 10:40:41 am
yes you sit them. the bench is the best motivator
Yeah that's being realistic. You sit your only hope for the season to teach them a lesson, even when you have no viable options. Those guys are smart enough to know there are no replacements on the bench for them, and if this team is to do anything they have to play.

Kevin

Quote from: rude1 on January 18, 2018, 10:43:03 am
Yeah that's being realistic. You sit your only hope for the season to teach them a lesson, even when you have no viable options. Those guys are smart enough to know there are no replacements on the bench for them, and if this team is to do anything they have to play.

again whose fault is that?

I would have taken a loss early to get the point across of how we are going to play. you cannot kiss the butt of players, it never works

rude1

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2018, 10:44:42 am
again whose fault is that?

I would have taken a loss early to get the point across of how we are going to play. you cannot kiss the butt of players, it never works
I have said it's the bed he made for himself by failing at recruiting year after year. What's funny is if he sat those guys and got hammered you guys would have Hogville fired up with post after post on how dumb CMA was to sit his only options to win games.

Kevin

Quote from: rude1 on January 18, 2018, 10:47:01 am
I have said it's the bed he made for himself by failing at recruiting year after year. What's funny is if he sat those guys and got hammered you guys would have Hogville fired up with post after post on how dumb CMA was to sit his only options to win games.

not me, rather have that happen, and change their ways, than to watch it night after night.

GuvHog

Good points. The thing that really got me last night was how many times 6'11" Gafford ended up out on the perimeter on defense covering a much smaller, quicker, and faster guard. That should NEVER happen. Kingsley did the same exact thing last year until late in the season in desperation, Mike finally changed his defense to keep Kingsley in the lane. Gafford should never have to leave the lane area on defense.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 10:58:57 am
Good points. The thing that really got me last night was how many times 6'11" Gafford ended up out on the perimeter on defense covering a much smaller, quicker, and faster guard. That should NEVER happen. Kingsley did the same exact thing last year until late in the season in desperation, Mike finally changed his defense to keep Kingsley in the lane. Gafford should never have to leave the lane area on defense.

It has to be the easiest prep a opponent has all season when they play the Hogs. " Hey, just have out big man go set a ball screen at the top of the key, his man will come out and switch so we will have our guard going up against their big and our big will have a guard on him.".

hogsanity

Quote from: Danny J on January 18, 2018, 10:17:28 am

Start playing matchup zone and hedging and rotating back when playing man. Problem on D solved and Mike knows this. He did it last year. Pushing tempo is going to be his downfall

Maybe it is EGO. " I am Mike Anderson, my teams play fast blah blah blah ". You know it killed him last year every time it was pointed out the Hogs were playing zone on D and not pressing/trapping/slapping 40 ft from the basket.

razorpimp

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on January 18, 2018, 09:48:30 am

I still like my proposed lineup as a change and get rid of that damn worthless, ineffective press!
Starting
Macon
Jones
Hall
Gafford
Thompson

Then
Barford
Beard
Bailey
Cook
Thomas

Looks way more balanced to me in all areas defense and offense

hogsanity

Quote from: razorpimp on January 18, 2018, 11:20:02 am
I still like my proposed lineup as a change and get rid of that damn worthless, ineffective press!
Starting
Macon
Jones
Hall
Gafford
Thompson

Then
Barford
Beard
Bailey
Cook
Thomas

Looks way more balanced to me in all areas defense and offense

2nd group would still only have one scorer.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 11:53:09 am
2nd group would still only have one scorer.
Yeah, there's not a good solution, totally disjointed roster, long on scoring guards who are weak defenders, a black hole at forward, and a great freshmen big guy.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

LA Football fan

You don't need a second group.  Sub out 1 or 2 players max and keep the majority of your scorers on the court at all times.  There are more than enough stoppages in play for the players to have the energy to play the entire game with a few breaks here and there.  If Gafford comes out, Barford and Macon stay in.  If Gafford stays in you can bring  out Barford and Macon and have the offense go through Gafford inside more.  You could have Beard and Jones on the outside to  provide some perimeter shooting if needed while Barford and Macon get a breather.  It doesn't have to be an either or decision. 

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: HogBreath on January 18, 2018, 07:10:07 pm
Yeah, there's not a good solution, totally disjointed roster, long on scoring guards who are weak defenders, a black hole at forward, and a great freshmen big guy.
But we got a top 20 paid coach who is connected to Nolan Richardson so all will be well. Just give him time.

Rbill

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 18, 2018, 08:05:58 pm
You don't need a second group.  Sub out 1 or 2 players max and keep the majority of your scorers on the court at all times.  There are more than enough stoppages in play for the players to have the energy to play the entire game with a few breaks here and there.  If Gafford comes out, Barford and Macon stay in.  If Gafford stays in you can bring  out Barford and Macon and have the offense go through Gafford inside more.  You could have Beard and Jones on the outside to  provide some perimeter shooting if needed while Barford and Macon get a breather.  It doesn't have to be an either or decision.

Correct! The concept of 2nd group should go! Mix and match subs trying to keep 2 of our mvps on the floor at all times on rotation. Offense should always go through Gafford. He doesn't need to force it every time but he should at least get a touch most times.

Rbill

Quote from: Danny J on January 18, 2018, 10:17:28 am
This post is spot on...

Keep switching 1-5 and we will finish 7-11 in SEC play...period. I keep posting this but will do once more. If it wasn't for foul trouble for both mizzou and Tenn AT HOME we lose simply because the other team wasn't deep enough and we needed OT to beat one of them.

Last year we stopped the switching, for the most part, after the Vandy loss. Coincidence we went on a long run? Hmmmmm....

If you want to switch 1-5 you better have height and length 1-5. Playing guys like Beard(short), Macon(not strong) and Thompson(slow) and switching those guys? Those 3 are being exploited the most by opposing teams.

Start playing matchup zone and hedging and rotating back when playing man. Problem on D solved and Mike knows this. He did it last year. Pushing tempo is going to be his downfall without the correct personnel the same as CBB in football. Pure stubbornness

I'm surprised more people and media aren't talking about this. We looked pathetic last year too at one point. Macon was in the doghouse. Then we ran a zone a whole lot and it turned around. And keep our big man in the lane for pete's sake.