Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many SEC Jobs Open Thanksgiving Weekend?

Started by WilsonHog, October 15, 2017, 01:00:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

SEC West

Bret Bielema - Let's just leave this here: In his 5th season, he's 27-30 overall at Arkansas and 10-25. Best case scenario, it's hard to envision anything better than 5-7 this year, and more likely no better than 4-8.

Matt Luke - Looks like somewhere between 4-8 and 6-6. The latter might be enough to get the Ole Miss admin to favor the local boy, but not likely.

Gus Malzahn - Isn't amazing how quickly fortunes can turn in the SEC? Coughing up a 20-0 lead to LSU has the good people down On the Plains up in arms.  If he can beat the Crimson Tide and go into bowl season 9-3 he'll be golden; otherwise, Gus is probably looking at an 8-4 season capped by another loss to Alabama. After going 8-5, 7-6, and 8-5 the last three years, that won't likely be enough to save his job.

Ed Orgeron - Gotta give the Big Cajun credit. After the disaster against Troy, the Tigers have won games over Florida and Auburn. They really should finish 8-4 or 9-3, which will certainly be enough to keep him employed down in Baton Rouge.

Kevin Sumlin - This gets more intriguing by the week. Will 8-4, the fifth consecutive eight or nine-win season in College Station, get Sumlin another year? Doubtful. He probably wouldn't want it anyway. Sometimes it's just time to move on.

SEC East

Jim McElwain - Could be looking at a 6-5 or 7-4 regular season. He'll probably get one more season at least after consecutive appearances in the SECCG, but he'll enter 2018 on a little bit of a hot seat.

Butch Jones - Almost certainly out at Tennessee. As inept as the Vols' offense is, it is difficult to see Tennessee finishing any better than 6-6, maybe 7-5. Consecutive 9-win seasons doesn't appear enough to save him.

Barry Odom - Looks like consecutive 4-8 seasons for the Tigers, but he'll likely get one more year. Not many coaches get fired after two seasons barring some off-field nonsense.

That's likely four, maybe five SEC jobs open. The crazy thing is that the one whose case for termination should be the strongest is Bielema's. Of all the coaches listed, he's had a combination of the most time and the weakest results.

Sow’sEar

This is a good analysis and will play a factor in what Arkansas does, in my opinion.  I think Coach B will not be retained, however, with that being said how much more difficult will it be if 4-5 other SEC schools are looking for coaches too?
   I think Tennessee, Missouri, and Ole Miss will almost certainly be looking for coaches.  Add Arkansas to that and that gets it to 4 openings at a minimum.  Sumlin better win 9 or he's done...

Dark Helmet Hog

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Lulu Hog on October 15, 2017, 01:09:21 pm
This is a good analysis and will play a factor in what Arkansas does, in my opinion.  I think Coach B will not be retained, however, with that being said how much more difficult will it be if 4-5 other SEC schools are looking for coaches too. 
   I think Tennessee, Missouri, and Ole Miss will almost certainly be looking for coaches.  Add Arkansas to that and gets it to 4 openings at a minimum.  Sumlin better win 9 or he's done...

I'm sure Jeff will take into consideration the volume of schools looking for coaches.

Bottom line is that there is never a good time to change staffs, like period. However, right now is as good as it will get for Arkansas. Fair talent that just needs some muscle behind them. A disciplinarian that absolutely knows what he is looking at in practice, as it will relate to the next game. Strive for perfection, speed and timing. 

This is my non-signature signature.

Oklahawg

As possibly the least desirable job on the list of openings UA is not positioned well to upgrade from CBB, although a fresh reboot is not always a bad thing.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 15, 2017, 01:14:30 pm
As possibly the least desirable job on the list of openings UA is not positioned well to upgrade from CBB, although a fresh reboot is not always a bad thing.

You're giving CBB way too much credit.

bennyl08

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 15, 2017, 01:00:21 pm
SEC West

Bret Bielema - Let's just leave this here: In his 5th season, he's 27-30 overall at Arkansas and 10-25. Best case scenario, it's hard to envision anything better than 5-7 this year, and more likely no better than 4-8.

Matt Luke - Looks like somewhere between 4-8 and 6-6. The latter might be enough to get the Ole Miss admin to favor the local boy, but not likely.

Gus Malzahn - Isn't amazing how quickly fortunes can turn in the SEC? Coughing up a 20-0 lead to LSU has the good people down On the Plains up in arms.  If he can beat the Crimson Tide and go into bowl season 9-3 he'll be golden; otherwise, Gus is probably looking at an 8-4 season capped by another loss to Alabama. After going 8-5, 7-6, and 8-5 the last three years, that won't likely be enough to save his job.

Ed Orgeron - Gotta give the Big Cajun credit. After the disaster against Troy, the Tigers have won games over Florida and Auburn. They really should finish 8-4 or 9-3, which will certainly be enough to keep him employed down in Baton Rouge.

Kevin Sumlin - This gets more intriguing by the week. Will 8-4, the fifth consecutive eight or nine-win season in College Station, get Sumlin another year? Doubtful. He probably wouldn't want it anyway. Sometimes it's just time to move on.

SEC East

Jim McElwain - Could be looking at a 6-5 or 7-4 regular season. He'll probably get one more season at least after consecutive appearances in the SECCG, but he'll enter 2018 on a little bit of a hot seat.

Butch Jones - Almost certainly out at Tennessee. As inept as the Vols' offense is, it is difficult to see Tennessee finishing any better than 6-6, maybe 7-5. Consecutive 9-win seasons doesn't appear enough to save him.

Barry Odom - Looks like consecutive 4-8 seasons for the Tigers, but he'll likely get one more year. Not many coaches get fired after two seasons barring some off-field nonsense.

That's likely four, maybe five SEC jobs open. The crazy thing is that the one whose case for termination should be the strongest is Bielema's. Of all the coaches listed, he's had a combination of the most time and the weakest results.

Been a rough year in the SEC and could be a crazy offseason as you allude to.

To the last point, I have no problem with that. The quickest way to make a bad situation worse is to have a quick trigger finger. Look at the difference b/w the Browns and the Texans. Browns seemingly have a new coach ever 2 years, sometimes less. They are almost always a lock to have a top 5 draft pick neglecting trades. Contrast that with the Texans. They stick with their HC's for a long time relatively speaking. They didn't make the post-season for the first 5 years and only had 1 winning record in that 5 year span as well. However, they stuck with him and made the playoffs in back to back years after that, going 2-2 in the post season. He lost the team in 2013 and was fired before taking a year off and then winning a superbowl with Denver. Houston since 2013 has now maintained having winning seasons and in the 3.5 years since, has made the playoffs twice. They played the slow game and aren't where they want to be, but have a foundation to work off of.

Of course, that's the NFL and this is the SEC. However, the same principle holds. There's not a program out there that fires coaches willy nilly that has done well with that approach. While Bielema hasn't worked out, we have a strong foundation to build off of for whoever comes next with a roster full of talent. 
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Sow’sEar

I honestly feel Arkansas is a better job than Mizzou or Ole Miss.  Tennessee is probably a better job as is Texas A&M.  However, with the right coach Arkansas can get back to prominence

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 15, 2017, 01:14:30 pm

Jeff pacing outside the locker room after getting monkey-stomped by USCe signals that he was able to stiff-arm the PTB so long as the program was moving forward, however slowly. That loss was the best indicator that we have regressed and our record will be worse than last season.

This is my non-signature signature.

Hog Pharm

Gus won't be fired. I think there's a good chance Sumlin is fired but to his credit he's making it interesting. Tennessee and Ole Miss are the only two slam dunk openings at this point.

King Kong

Right now I would say UT, Mizz, Arkansas and Ole Miss

King Kong

Quote from: Lulu Hog on October 15, 2017, 01:18:49 pm
I honestly feel Arkansas is a better job than Mizzou or Ole Miss.  Tennessee is probably a better job as is Texas A&M.  However, with the right coach Arkansas can get back to prominence

100% we are a better job than Mizz and Ole Piss.

HeathWimp

SEC West

SEC East

I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee is the only opening.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

rtr

No coach has left Arkansas of his own volition since Jack Mitchell.  Texas A&M has a lot going for it but they are still Aggies.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

jgphillips3

Arkansas and Tennessee for sure barring stunning changes in program trajectory.  Ole Miss is basically an interim with slightly more standing so I'm not sure if that really qualifies as opening up, but that would be three.  If Sumlin wins 7 or less, add Texas A&M.  I think pretty much everyone else gets another year unless the swamp donkey continues to disintegrate.

buldozer

I never thought I would say this, but I would be in favor of giving Gus a shot if he gets fired at Auburn this year. At least he wants to be here, the HS coaches like him and he understands our state. He wouldn't be worse than CBB, thats a given.

rhames

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 15, 2017, 02:01:13 pm
Arkansas and Tennessee for sure barring stunning changes in program trajectory.  Ole Miss is basically an interim with slightly more standing so I'm not sure if that really qualifies as opening up, but that would be three.  If Sumlin wins 7 or less, add Texas A&M.  I think pretty much everyone else gets another year unless the swamp donkey continues to disintegrate.

I mostly agree with this.

A&M could actually be the third best team in the conference at the end of the year.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HawgPound

SEC West

Bret Bielema - One more year unless he loses out wins only one maybe two more.
Matt Luke - Interim, probably gone.
Gus Malzahn - Nope.
Ed Orgeron - Not anymore
Kevin Sumlin - One more year

SEC East

Jim McElwain - One more but he is close.
Butch Jones - He might not make it to Thanksgiving weekend.
Barry Odom - Toss up. He has one foot out the door.

I see two to four tops. Should be more but I think some hang on by a thread.

ArkansasI

SEC West

SEC East

I think Malzahn, Orgeron, Sumlin, McElwain and Odom are fairly safe. Arkansas and Tennessee are likely open, while Ole Miss is anyone's guess.

Every head coaching job is a career opportunity.  Every SEC job, except Vanderbilt, Kentucky and perhaps Mississippi State are career makers.

I don't subscribe to the Bret hate and the "told you so"ers.  However, by today's appearances, Razorback fans have reason to be finished with the Bielema era. At year's end, Bret will have had 5 years to prove he is entitled to a 6th. Regardless, Bret will have earned a fortune - so we have no sympathy for the change.

WorfHog

Quote from: buldozer on October 15, 2017, 02:02:32 pm
I never thought I would say this, but I would be in favor of giving Gus a shot if he gets fired at Auburn this year. At least he wants to be here, the HS coaches like him and he understands our state. He wouldn't be worse than CBB, thats a given.

Gus is a guy who couldn't win at a high level consistently with much better talent in the SEC West.

Give me a break. Just say no to Gus and Les.  Let's find a guy who hasn't taken and missed a shot at the SEC. 

ricepig

All of them but Bama, just to make it interesting.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: WorfHog on October 15, 2017, 02:25:43 pm
Gus is a guy who couldn't win at a high level consistently with much better talent in the SEC West.

Give me a break. Just say no to Gus and Les.  Let's find a guy who hasn't taken and missed a shot at the SEC.

saban?
The rest of the frog.

HawgTide

This... Tenner opening could hurt us but it looks like Sumlin saved his job

Quote from: King Kong on October 15, 2017, 01:32:36 pm
100% we are a better job than Mizz and Ole Piss.
I think we are a better job than Mizz, Ole Miss, Vandy, MS ST and Kentucky. About on par with South Carolina. Behind all the others. So about 8th in the conference.

rhames

Quote from: Karma on October 15, 2017, 03:03:43 pm
I think we are a better job than Mizz, Ole Miss, Vandy, MS ST and Kentucky. About on par with South Carolina. Behind all the others. So about 8th in the conference.

Can't really argue much with this. The homer inside me wants to put us above SC though hahaha
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

007 License To Squeal

BB and BJ are the likely candidates, I think.....Big Rosie Finch's job is getting more secure each week.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hogcard1964

Bielema, Jones and Odom are the only guaranteed exists.

I think Sumlin and McElwain both get another year. 

WilsonHog

Bielema is obviously the outlier in all this, but think back to Mark Richt and Les Miles, and then consider the records of Malzahn, Sumlin, and Jones.

Have we gotten to the point in the SEC that winning 8-10 games most years is no longer good enough?

hogcard1964

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 15, 2017, 03:11:14 pm
Bielema is obviously the outlier in all this, but think back to Mark Richt and Les Miles, and then consider the records of Malzahn, Sumlin, and Jones.

Have we gotten to the point in the SEC that winning 8-10 games most years is no longer good enough?

I think it depends on the school/program.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2017, 03:08:47 pm
Bielema, Jones and Odom are the only guaranteed exists.

I think Sumlin and McElwain both get another year. 

Do a quick google for "Malzahn".........the article headlines look a lot like the headlines chasing Bellyma right now.....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hogcard1964

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 15, 2017, 03:17:33 pm
Do a quick google for "Malzahn".........the article headlines look a lot like the headlines chasing Bellyma right now.....

Yea, I saw that. You're right.  If we beat them next week (and that's a possibility), that could be his demise there.

jgphillips3

Gotten to?  It's always been, if you can't beat Bama, your time is limited.  Charlie McClendon in 79.  Hall of Fame coach, couldn't beat the Bear...Bye, bye.

That said, I do think it's all about trajectory.  Programs no longer seem to rise and stay.  Way too much volatility in the records.  Way too much money involved now to never sniff competing for a title.

The_Iceman

To be fair to Jim McElwain, he will finish with one less win than he would have if it weren't for the Hurricane. Still won't be a strong season for him. Does the hope of Franks improving get him one more season?

He has had a lot of bad luck with injuries and suspensions. He has recruited pretty solid. If I were Florida, I wouldn't move on from him quite yet.

HogPharmer

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2017, 03:19:39 pm
Yea, I saw that. You're right.  If we beat them next week (and that's a possibility), that could be his demise there.

No it's not.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

hogcard1964

Mr Jade

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2017, 03:27:29 pm
Care to wager that the Auburn game is very close?

Auburn will beat us harder than Bama did. They've got a lot to prove this week.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

The_Iceman

At Arkansas, ABSOLUTELY it is good enough! We just don't have a coach that can do that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Maybe Butch Jones just isn't the HC that I thought that he was when he was hired, but gimminnee, if I were a HC I think that I would absolutely love to have an opportunity at Tennessee. Now folks didn't think that Fulmer did very good towards the end, which is why he was replaced, but who has done better since he departed? I just don't see how Tennessee, with all that they have going for them, location, facilities, physical proximity to great recruiting areas, money, booster support, etc., continues to underachieve? I've thought for a long time that Texas was just waiting for the right coach to leverage their advantages and I feel the same about Tennessee. How they aren't contending for the Eastern Division every year is just beyond me.
Go Hogs Go!

HogPharmer

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2017, 03:27:29 pm
Care to wager that the Auburn game is very close?

So is it that we will beat them? Or that the game will be "very close"? Pick one, because those are two different things. Although I don't think either will happen.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogPharmer on October 15, 2017, 03:33:18 pm
So is it that we will beat them? Or that the game will be "very close"? Pick one, because those are two different things. Although I don't think either will happen.

Let's try to stick to the topic at hand fellas.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: HogPharmer on October 15, 2017, 03:33:18 pm

I said winning was a possibility, which is mutually exclusive to the game being close.

TebowHater

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 15, 2017, 03:32:27 pm
At Arkansas, ABSOLUTELY it is good enough! We just don't have a coach that can do that.

HDN won 8+ games 6 of his 10 years here.

Vantage 8 dude

October 15, 2017, 04:48:19 pm #42 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:50:34 pm by Vantage 8 dude
IMO there are very likely two, at most four. I think Butch is total toast!! Unless they can somehow pull a total and completer miracle out of their hat (such as beating Alabama this coming week and finish off the rest of their schedule with wins) the natives in Tenny land have had it. In fact, ole "Sarge" has clearly assumed the dubious crown of "doing less with more (highly ranked recruits) than virtually any other coach in the country. Besides with the current 10 quarter (and counting) scoreless string that the Vols are currently experiencing the fans are preparing the lynching ropes out.

No doubt at this point CBB SHOULD be gone. My only question is whether or not Long can be adequately pressured to make a move (assuming Jeff is still here as AD0. If not, then very likely that despite our unhappiness Bret will return for at least one more year.

The other possibility would be Sumlin. Thus far it appears that he MAY have done enough to squeak by with another season. Obviously it's going to depend on how the Aggies do the rest of the year. Should they manage to win on out then it's very possible he's bought himself a reprieve, at least through 2018.

Many have mentioned Odom at Mizzou as a possibility as well. While the Tigers MIGHT, and I do mean might, be even worse than we, the issues the team has faced over the past couple of years with student protests, etc. will likely be taken into account. Besides, the man is only working through his second year. That in itself may be reason enough to get him at least one additional season.

An addendum to my original post. I totally and completely forgot about Ole Miss. I don't think Luke is their long term answer and they know it. They've already put a job opening out.

PorkBilly

There will be three openings. Ark, TN, and ol miss. All will be competing for Jeff Brohm, Chad Morris, and Mike Norvell. I have many TN friends who want(ed) Petrino. Not so much today. Norvell seems like a logical choice for us. Wife is from Ft Smith. Knows mid south. Does a lot with 2-3 stars. Obviously knows Memphis now. Ex UCA player. Chad Morris also a very good candidate. Ties to Texas ( maybe too close to A &M). Both know offense. It will be interesting from now to Dec.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TebowHater on October 15, 2017, 04:03:55 pm
HDN won 8+ games 6 of his 10 years here.

If you check my post history, I am one of the only people that has been saying Nutt should be treated with more respect by Arkansas fans.

What got Nutt fired was more off the field than on it.

Atlhogfan1

0 for October doesn't deserve more respect. 

Butch is the most obvious as far as who will be fired.  Wasted opportunities with their recruiting.  Now they are restarting playing Freshmen.

Orgeron deserves a few seasons.  If they weren't going to give him a chance shouldn't have given him the job

Why would any coach in a good secure position want the Ole Miss job right now?

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hobhog

It's interesting after looking at forums of UT, AU, and others that they want coach fired AND the AD. Just the nature of frustrated fans to scorch earth.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hobhog on October 15, 2017, 07:20:56 pm
It's interesting after looking at forums of UT, AU, and others that they want coach fired AND the AD. Just the nature of frustrated fans to scorch earth.
Well as far is AU is concerned I really weep for 'em.....I really, really do. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

hobhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 15, 2017, 07:25:01 pm
Well as far is AU is concerned I really weep for 'em.....I really, really do. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

We will contribute to their misery for sure this weekend. Either by beating them, or by losing and possibly helping Gus keep his job there. WPS

The Hawg Marshal

Mullen could finally get a job offer that he couldn't refuse. That would open one up that would be somewhat unexpected.