Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BA with a TD pass for the Jags

Started by TomasPistola, August 17, 2017, 09:27:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Headhog32

Quote from: factchecker on August 17, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
The best part is that Brandon just rolls with the punches.

I've never seen a QB take as much crap as he did.  He just kept working.  Now he's in the NFL with a chance to start.  He's done more than most on Hogville thought he'd ever do.
a man among men. takes a strong man to have mental toughness like that guy. and to think he had his truck set on fire!!! for gosh sakes

longpig

Marrone was going off on "both" his QBs in the postgame.   Said the best QB will start but sounded as though he was only considering Bortles and Henne.
Don't be scared, be smart.

luke hawg

Arkansas' only chance at NFL starter had his truck set on fire. We know our football

TebowHater

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 17, 2017, 09:56:42 pm
what do u mean by making other nfl teams better?

As in, if Jax doesn't want to use him they could trade for him and he could have a legit chance to start on several other teams. They won't do that though because they currently have no franchise QB with Bortles failing. Henne is quick fix so they will want to keep BA

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Tusks

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 17, 2017, 10:41:01 pm
if he ends up starting its going to be surprising that BA is an NFL starter and Ryan mallet is not. lol

Wonder what Zeke in KC would say.  He hates Mallett and thinks he's terrible, along with CBP.  I wonder what he thinks of BA since BA never beat Bama either but might be on the heels of RM for closest to consistently starting in the NFL.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bennyl08

Quote from: WBOBO on August 17, 2017, 11:25:35 pm
GFYAWASMMFD

Get free. You'll always wish another summer moment memory formed delightful.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

sickboy

They should start Westbrook too. How are BA and Westbrook not at the very least 2's. Westbrook probably even more so deserves to be starting. That guy makes plays.

bennyl08

Quote from: sickboy on August 18, 2017, 12:04:17 am
They should start Westbrook too. How are BA and Westbrook not at the very least 2's. Westbrook probably even more so deserves to be starting. That guy makes plays.

Have you seen their starting receivers in action?

Hurns and Robinson both went for over 1k yards in 2015. Lee went for over 800 yards last year. All three of those guys are just now going into their fourth seasons (i.e. Jag's won't be able to retain all three when the contracts run out...). The three of them combine for over 6k yards and over 60 td's over their first 3 years in the NFL.

Westbrook is a rookie 4th round pick who was going against guys tonight who many won't be on anybody's 53 man roster and the others will be depth players mostly.

Now, the jag's didn't draft Westbrook to be a depth player. He should end up becoming a starter for them. However, in stark contrast to college ball, the receiver position usually takes a bit longer to really develop. By mid-season, he'll probably be up with the two's, but he isn't there yet. After tonight, I think it's safe to say he's moved up and he's probably right now better than the guys they have listed as threes. But he's still learning the offense and getting used to the speed of the game.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Headhog32

Quote from: tusked on August 17, 2017, 11:48:08 pm
Wonder what Zeke in KC would say.  He hates Mallett and thinks he's terrible, along with CBP.  I wonder what he thinks of BA since BA never beat Bama either but might be on the heels of RM for closest to consistently starting in the NFL.
what if BA has a tom Brady like story/ career... shooting for the stars LOL

RagingHawgOn

BA looked sharp last night. Should've won the game but threw twice inside the 2 yd. line instead of running it in.

He has a strong presence out there; never looks rattled.

I will say this - Bortles is not the guy.  It's Henne or Allen.

BDSCT51

After Bortles missed that guy wide open for a TD in Q2 I confirmed to myself that BA should get the nod. Bortles is just not an NFL starting QB as I see it. The Jags look like they have some talent to work with this year too. Might have to sneak down there for a game this fall.
Bleeding Razorback Red

threeNout

I think it took 3 minutes of being in the game for BA to become their leading rusher and leading passer.

Soooie21

Quote from: Razor1997 on August 17, 2017, 09:51:03 pm
Two drops at the goal line.  :(  Almost completed a great comeback.
Bortles is on thin ice....and it is cracking fast...

Hogwild

Quote from: TomasPistola on August 17, 2017, 09:52:12 pm
WR's let him down for sure.

To be fair his Wr bailed him out on his 3rd or 4th pass, should have been an 75 yard game winning TD pass.  The cornerback fell down at the line, BA made the right read just threw a bad pass. 

When the had the ball at the one yard line, I couldn't believe they kept throwing fade passes. BA look great on rollouts, why not give him the run/pass option.

PorkRinds

BA is getting no love in the press. I've read two articles that mention Bortles and Henne and their stat lines with zero mention of BA having the best game.  Another said the jags should have brought more competition in than Henne as if BA doesn't exist.

The NewEra

When BA was in the game the entire offense looked like a completely different unit.  You can tell the offense felt comfortable with him in there and the results showed it.  BA has a place in the pro's as a starter based on last night's performance.  If it's not with the Jags then so be it, but someone will be well served to have him as their q.b.  He just keeps getting better and as someone else on here mentioned, he has incredible control of his emotions.  Never got rattled.  He played like he belonged and the moment was never too big for him.

TexasRazorback

Looks like Doug Marrone is fed up with Bortles and the Jags have an open QB competition. Allen looked great last night against the Bucs, yes it was 3rd stringers he was going against but 10-15 144 yds and 1 td is solid. Hope BA gets some more looks.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20374037/doug-marrone-says-jacksonville-jaguars-starting-quarterback-race-now-open-blake-bortles-chad-henne

hogsanity

Quote from: TexasRazorback on August 18, 2017, 10:23:54 am
Looks like Doug Marrone is fed up with Bortles and the Jags have an open QB competition. Allen looked great last night against the Bucs, yes it was 3rd stringers he was going against but 10-15 144 yds and 1 td is solid. Hope BA gets some more looks.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20374037/doug-marrone-says-jacksonville-jaguars-starting-quarterback-race-now-open-blake-bortles-chad-henne

If Bortles gets replaced it will be by Henne. BA is going to be the 3rd guy again this season. Not a bad gig. They like him, but they have way too much invested in Bortles to just cut him loose so even if he loses the starting job he'll be the #2 and eventually they will give him another shot if the struggle under Henne. Now, after this season they may part ways with Bortles and BA could be inline to claim the backup role.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PLHawg

After BA's first couple of years here as starting QB who could have ever imagined him even sniffing the practice squad of an NFL team, much less making the 53 man roster.  Amazing what quality coaching and guidance will do, and BA is living proof.  BA's definitely got a future in the NFL, and I truly believe he is going to eventually get a starting opportunity on some team, even if it's not the Jags.  There's a real dearth of QB talent in the league, and worst case, he's got a solid career as a #2 for the next few years.  Put it this way, he's one of approx. 90 roster QB's in the NFL and he's made the cut, and the league minimum for 2nd year players is like $550k.  Not a bad gig for wearing the headset if you ask me.

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on August 18, 2017, 10:48:49 am
After BA's first couple of years here as starting QB who could have ever imagined him even sniffing the practice squad of an NFL team, much less making the 53 man roster.  Amazing what quality coaching and guidance will do, and BA is living proof.  BA's definitely got a future in the NFL, and I truly believe he is going to eventually get a starting opportunity on some team, even if it's not the Jags.  There's a real dearth of QB talent in the league, and worst case, he's got a solid career as a #2 for the next few years.  Put it this way, he's one of approx. 90 roster QB's in the NFL and he's made the cut, and the league minimum for 2nd year players is like $550k.  Not a bad gig for wearing the headset if you ask me.

backup Qb in the nfl may be one of the best jobs in the world.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Headhog32

After BA's first couple of years here as starting QB who could have ever imagined him even sniffing the practice squad of an NFL team, much less making the 53 man roster.  Amazing what quality coaching and guidance will do, and BA is living proof.  BA's definitely got a future in the NFL, and I truly believe he is going to eventually get a starting opportunity on some team, even if it's not the Jags.  There's a real dearth of QB talent in the league, and worst case, he's got a solid career as a #2 for the next few years.  Put it this way, he's one of approx. 90 roster QB's in the NFL and he's made the cut, and the league minimum for 2nd year players is like $550k.  Not a bad gig for wearing the headset if you ask me. I don't think you could get a better job.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 18, 2017, 08:35:41 am
BA is getting no love in the press. I've read two articles that mention Bortles and Henne and their stat lines with zero mention of BA having the best game.  Another said the jags should have brought more competition in than Henne as if BA doesn't exist.

Sounds about right. I think the Jags don't like kids from Arkansas anymore after the Jones experience.

But Allen is, without a shred of doubt, their best option. He was forced to grow up and endure the unendurable at Arkansas and came out one of the most efficient quarterbacks in college football.
This is my non-signature signature.

The NewEra

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 18, 2017, 08:35:41 am

Well, Gruden was impressed with him last night.

Headhog32

Quote from: TebowHater on August 17, 2017, 11:15:20 pm
As in, if Jax doesn't want to use him they could trade for him and he could have a legit chance to start on several other teams. They won't do that though because they currently have no franchise QB with Bortles failing. Henne is quick fix so they will want to keep BA
ohh okay I comprehend now. thank sir

KlubhouseKonnected

At the very least Allen is turning some heads around the league. He will move up if keeps it up.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

The more I think about that, the more it seems like Jim Chaneys truck should've been set on fire instead of BA's. Chaney played against brandons strengths and put the entire offense in awkward situations. He's currently doing the same thing at Georgia with Eason. How does that guy keep getting jobs? lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Headhog32

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 18, 2017, 11:30:32 am
The more I think about that, the more it seems like Jim Chaneys truck should've been set on fire instead of BA's. Chaney played against brandons strengths and put the entire offense in awkward situations. He's currently doing the same thing at Georgia with Eason. How does that guy keep getting jobs? lol
not sure Chaney was/is a joke. Dan Enos is the man!

RazorWest

Quote from: TebowHater on August 17, 2017, 11:15:20 pm

Maybe, but if he can't beat out Bortles and Henne, I'm not sure he'd beat anyone else out.  He looked great and I think he'll be in the league for a while, but Preseason games aren't a good barometer of anything.

Headhog32

Quote from: RazorWest on August 18, 2017, 11:37:26 am
Maybe, but if he can't beat out Bortles and Henne, I'm not sure he'd beat anyone else out.  He looked great and I think he'll be in the league for a while, but Preseason games aren't a good barometer of anything.
okay, maybe so but if your #1 QB can't even play worth a flip in pre season games, tell me how he is going to play in regular season games? against 1st team defense where the competition is way higher???

prattville pig

Quote from: luke hawg on August 17, 2017, 11:11:10 pm
Arkansas' only chance at NFL starter had his truck set on fire. We know our football
at least it wasn't his couch
Life's too short to last long.

LZH

Quote from: factchecker on August 17, 2017, 10:36:01 pm
He still has haters..... there are idiots who think Bobby Allen is some Illuminati figure who controls football and makes coaches recruit/draft his sons and play them.

Which is ridiculous. He and his younger brother are every bit as capable of running an offense as Ryan Mallet or Tyler Wilson was.

Hogs run wild

Love Brandon Allen. Glad he is living his dream.  WPS!
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: HF#1 on August 18, 2017, 01:38:10 pm
Bielema QB's > Petrino QB's

BA was a Petrino Qb and if not for the choice of Chaney as OC he may have started his career at Arkansas much better.  He is were he is because of Enos(and his abilities).

Petrino just coached the  Heisman Trophy winning QB that will probably play another position in the NFL. 

Bielema coached  a 5th year senior transfer that is pretty good too.  But make no mistake CBB has nothing to do with QBs.  Dan Enos is the man!

Headhog32

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 18, 2017, 01:57:03 pm
BA was a Petrino Qb and if not for the choice of Chaney as OC he may have started his career at Arkansas much better.  He is were he is because of Enos(and his abilities).

Petrino just coached the  Heisman Trophy winning QB that will probably play another position in the NFL. 

Bielema coached  a 5th year senior transfer that is pretty good too.  But make no mistake CBB has nothing to do with QBs.  Dan Enos is the man!
couldn't agree more. CBP is very well with QBs as well

PORKULATOR

Quote from: factchecker on August 17, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
The best part is that Brandon just rolls with the punches.

I've never seen a QB take as much crap as he did.  He just kept working.  Now he's in the NFL with a chance to start.  He's done more than most on Hogville thought he'd ever do.
truth
I like the guy so much that I hope my woeful Jets never go after him.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PorkSoda

Quote from: dsgreen on August 17, 2017, 09:31:44 pm
Not just a TD pass but perfect for his part of the game so far.  4/4, 50 yards, 1TD, 13 yards rushing and a perfect QB rating of 158.3.
that prolly equals his cumulative season QB rating for his 4 years at arkansas.  definitely showing he's got some upside.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 18, 2017, 04:17:50 pm
that prolly equals his cumulative season QB rating for his 4 years at arkansas.  definitely showing he's got some upside.

NFL qb rating and collegiate are different. The 158.3 qb rating in the NFL equates to 287.5 qb rating by the ncaa.

solitons

if BA starts, I'll watch more Jags game for sure. go BA, go hogs

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 18, 2017, 05:08:25 pm
NFL qb rating and collegiate are different. The 158.3 qb rating in the NFL equates to 287.5 qb rating by the ncaa.
close then

first 3 years

2012 - 69.2
2013 - 109.0
2014 - 129.2

total - 307.4 vs 287.5

seriously though, BA had a rough start, but he has consistently improved his game in college, and he seems to be continuing that improvement in the NFL.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.