Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Picking a hat...

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, January 07, 2012, 02:29:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Is the "hat trick" commitment announcement getting old to anyone else? Wonder what they do with left over caps?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

n5xm

I like it!  Let's allow these kids to have their day in the Sun. 

Pistol Pete

I like it... you're only young once. I used to get mad about the Superman move, dancing, taunting, and all that, but in reality, they need to enjoy the glory when they can.

Basketball on the other hand... is almost completely out of control with the dunking and getting in their face. I predict multiple major brawls this year.

MountieDawg

They are doing gloves now!
SEC!

redeye

Quote from: Rebel123 on January 07, 2012, 02:29:17 pm
Is the "hat trick" commitment announcement getting old to anyone else? Wonder what they do with left over caps?

I laughed after reading this, because it was old to me well over a decade ago. Having said that, it's not that bad and I like it better then many other things I've seen.

Hogz87

My personal favorite for over the top commitments was Harrison Barnes (#1 basketball recruit for 2010 class for you non-bball fans) a couple of years ago. 

He may have told the other two coaches he wasn't picking them so they wouldn't be sitting there waiting, but he Skyped the school of his choice.  He was sitting at the table, the screen behind him was blank, fans of North Carolina and Duke are waiting in anticipation, and BAM!  Roy Williams' and the UNC  players pop-up on screen.  I don't know why but I got semi-nervous waiting for one of the two coaches to come up on the screen and I'm not a fan of either.

To me, the more creative the better.  Some, like the Skype commitment, may be too over the top, but I like them.  Yeah, the "picking a hat" has gotten somewhat stale over the years but it's fine with me.

(notOM)Rebel123

Okay...I want the kids to have their "fun", as well. Been layed up in the house with the flu for a few days and I'm cranky. Let 'em flaunt the New Era Cap of their choice. I'll retreat back under my quilt and shut up.

The_Boot_stops_here

We wouldnt think it was stupid if the kids were picking us

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 07, 2012, 07:45:35 pm

Excellent point. Again, I'm under the influence of numerous "over the counter" flu medications.

Seebs

We got kids with Batman cars and rapping to them over the phone. I believe that was ridiculous as well and we got those players.

I'm numb to it and I'm now taking another shot of tequila.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

redeye

Sorry, but I don't discriminate like that.

TexHog188

I'm takin my talents to ...

CLICHE'
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Piggage

If they announce at an all-star game or other media event with cameras present, they should probably do something (instead of just speaking into the mic for those 5-6 seconds and leaving the host to respond). I don't know that I have any ideas that'd be better than picking up a hat.

secfan1

If you get dunked on....you deserve to be looked at...basketball 101.

ArkansasI

January 09, 2012, 03:50:09 pm #14 Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:53:45 pm by ArkansasI

Yeah I would...  The hat thing is RIDICULOUS.  Instead of a positive - "I am going to X university"... the whole show becomes - "I am NOT going to Y or Z university"... 

The shame of it is not on the kids - it is on the stupid media that sets this crap up.  I have a hard time believing that any player really enjoys letting down several fanbases in favor of their choice - especially after each has undoubtedly shown them tremendous hospitality during their official visits.  What is the matter with us?

I felt awkward when Calvin Barnett did the old switcharoo from Oklahoma State to Arkansas on signing day two years ago.  It was terribly juvenile on his part.  In hindsight, his act was particularly bad because he knew he hadn't qualified anyway - he went to juco and is now back in the Cowboy fold.  I'm not sure it ultimately matters to anyone at OSU, but Calvin looked like a clown on signing day two years ago.

Is any player less happy about choosing a college when they notify the team in a private telephone conversation surrounded by friends and family that love them?

Here's an idea for a kid announcing at an All-Star game... picture this - the player walks up to the microphone and states something like, "After careful deliberation with my family, I am honored to accept a football scholarship offer to the University of Arkansas."  That's it.

If prodded further, "I immediately felt at home on my official visit, and after speaking with the faculty and staff was convinced that Fayetteville was the best place for me to attend college and play football."

If you still can't stop talking, say something like "I would like to thank all of the schools that showed an interest in me during the recruiting process.  It was a pleasure getting to meet so many great people."

Not only will the fans of the chosen university cheer, but every fan of the other schools not chosen won't feel shat upon.

Of course, this is common sense - something that is growing painfully absent from athletics and society as a whole.

Jamie Jones

I would crap on one and cover it up with the other...in most cases.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Aston Martin 8 dude

I have a variation to the "hat trick": have the kid put up how ever many caps to schools he's been considering. He stacks them up one inside the other. He begins pulling off the top and reveals the one below until he reaches the real program's hat. That one he leaves on while he signs his national letter.

Broken Trigger

I'm just getting tired of the picked hat never being "Arkansas". 

HogNuttz

Picking a hat, shirt, gloves, etc....o.k.

Switching one or more times or pulling off multiple shirts....not o.k.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

KeithStone

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 07, 2012, 03:40:43 pm
They are doing gloves now!

I saw that too, and I thought it was hilarious.