Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curious

Started by WBOBO, August 10, 2015, 08:08:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WBOBO

How many in state high school players have offers from other SEC schools but not Arkansas?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

31to6

In the Top 20:
John Tate has an offer from Ole Miss, plus Az State, Louisville and Cal.
Damarea Crockett has and offer from Vandy, plus Az State.
Kiondre Thomas has an offer from MSU.

Arkansas has some nice talent this year, but it is not a deep class.

WBOBO

Unless my eyes of watching college football for over 40 years is lying to me, John Tate needs to
be a Hog.  He has the grades, family, and work ethic to be a Hog.  I'm just guessing but I really
think he wants to be a Hog.   I could be wrong but it's just my gut.  I really don't want to see him
line up against us and go after our qb. 

redeye

Quote from: WBOBO on August 10, 2015, 09:08:21 pm
Unless my eyes of watching college football for over 40 years is lying to me, John Tate needs to
be a Hog.  He has the grades, family, and work ethic to be a Hog.  I'm just guessing but I really
think he wants to be a Hog.   I could be wrong but it's just my gut.  I really don't want to see him

I don't think anyone would mind that and it could happen.  The problem is that we have limited spots on the DL and have several outstanding recruits vying for those spots.  I can't remember a time when we had such riches on the DL.

ricepig

Quote from: WBOBO on August 10, 2015, 09:08:21 pm

I think we are on higher rated guys on the d-line, and honestly, we have pretty good depth there.

WBOBO

I understand the numbers and yes I agree.  Still sucks though.  I  just hate to see kids from around
here with the grades, family, and work ethic go somewhere else and playing against us.  It happened
with his daddy.  And yes ricepig we are on more higher rated guys (right now they are higher rated) than him, I just hate to lose one in state that I think wants to be a Hog.  I still believe in the 4th qtr at Bama, and your tired and  banged up, it still means more on that field playing for the state you grew up in and wanted to be a part of.  Of all years the numbers suck now more than ever.  I'm from
Pine Bluff and I could be wrong about his talent level, but he will play in the SEC.  In a Hog helmet or not.

razorhog52

I agree, we need PB to produce. The glory years had tons of talent from that area.

redeye

Quote from: WBOBO on August 10, 2015, 09:51:59 pm
I understand the numbers and yes I agree.  Still sucks though.  I  just hate to see kids from around
here with the grades, family, and work ethic go somewhere else and playing against us.  It happened
with his daddy.  And yes ricepig we are on more higher rated guys (right now they are higher rated) than him, I just hate to lose one in state that I think wants to be a Hog.  I still believe in the 4th qtr at Bama, and your tired and  banged up, it still means more on that field playing for the state you grew up in and wanted to be a part of.  Of all years the numbers suck now more than ever.  I'm from
Pine Bluff and I could be wrong about his talent level, but he will play in the SEC.  In a Hog helmet or not.

Yea, it really was a bad year for him.  In most years, he'd have probably been offered early and we'd all be hoping he'd commit right now.  Unfortunately, you have to draw a line somewhere and this year it may cause Tate to not get offered (I don't know).  That doesn't mean he's not worthy, and we may regret it later, but it's Bielema's job to sign the best players he can get.  We've certainly missed on some great instate players in the past, so let's hope it doesn't happen again.

WBOBO

They have seven guys on this years team that are D1 material.  If those knuckleheads can make their grades the sky is the limit.  What gets me is a guy like Josh Liddell.  PB Dollarway boy who had no D1 offers going into his senior year.  Georgia offers and then we offer.  He started at the end of the season last  year for the Hogs and Bielema said he is so football smart.  Welcome to south Arkansas coach.  You got a walk on that's from Dumas that draws praises from the coaches.  You got a walk on from Watson Chapel that probably will start at linebacker from time to time this year.
PB is producing and so is south Arkansas but the coaches are failing to recognize that.  The problem
we are going to have is that most can't afford to go to college so walking on  is not an option.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WBOBO on August 10, 2015, 10:31:27 pm
They have seven guys on this years team that are D1 material.  If those knuckleheads can make their grades the sky is the limit.  What gets me is a guy like Josh Liddell.  PB Dollarway boy who had no D1 offers going into his senior year.  Georgia offers and then we offer.  He started at the end of the season last  year for the Hogs and Bielema said he is so football smart.  Welcome to south Arkansas coach.  You got a walk on that's from Dumas that draws praises from the coaches.  You got a walk on from Watson Chapel that probably will start at linebacker from time to time this year.
PB is producing and so is south Arkansas but the coaches are failing to recognize that.  The problem
we are going to have is that most can't afford to go to college so walking on  is not an option.

They recognize it. One of the major stumbling blocks is grades and academics

WBOBO

I agree PorkRinds.  Those knuckleheads.  Man they were so fun to watch in the championship game against Benton last year.   Bolding has a big task at keeping them in check this year.  I've been hearing they are a really cocky walking into 2 a days this year.   They need to realize NLR has stomped a mud hole in their arse the last couple of years  so they aren't king of the hill.   But a little swag feels good around here.

Choctaw Hog

The Arkansas coaches, along with most other college coaches, fully recognize the talent of the players you mentioned.  Unfortunately, talent is just one component of earning a college football scholarship. Fortunately we have a coaching staff that fully understands that and isn't willing to lose half their recruiting class to players not qualifying or leaving the program in a year or two. 

And just so you will know, being in the South has nothing to do with it.  It's an issue all across the country.  Welcome to the world of D-1 football recruiting in the South, North, East and West Arkansas Fan. 

ricepig

Quote from: WBOBO on August 10, 2015, 09:51:59 pm

We are deeper on the d-line than ever. We already have two DT commits, and a 4* with offers from everywhere apparently wanting one if he gets a qualifying ACT score. Let me ask you this, why didn't Tate come up to camp, I believe some of his Zebra teammates did? As was mentioned above, the numbers are tight at that position and it doesn't always fall like we want. I know I wanted Ota from Jonesboro to get an offer, he didn't and started several games as a freshman at ASU last year. That's just the way it happens sometimes.

scruf

Please understand when you say coaches on one of the Top 25 bankrolled teams in college football can't recognize/evaluate talent within their own state's borders it doesn't make them look as bad as it makes you look bad. And uninformed. And a little bit bitter.

Huds_HawgTide

young men in southern arkansas usually are very athletic, but under developed...take that with grades risk and we usually have someone we have seen at camp or spring practices already cleared to play at ark per grades and act with us in their top 3...makes no sense to offer at this point...coach b knows how to get the most out of underdeveloped kids that have hardly lifted weights yet...but they are a dime a dozen of them already qualified...get your ACT and come to camp...no excuses..same as everyone else trying to get recruited
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Huds_HawgTide

that being said by the time signing day approaches we know if the act and grades are on par and if we have swinged and missed with others is when he opens up to more in state bordeline offers
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Arthur pigby sellers.

I understand your argument, but has this staff actually not offered some kids that are playing at high levels in D1.  I know the staff hasn't been here that long, but I can't think of any.  Marshall was a diamond in the rough that we offered when no other SEC schools did.  Unfortunately he couldn't get his head on straight.  Although we offered Liddell and Greenlaw late, our coaches remained in constant contact with them throughout the process.  Even with us offering late we still got both of them so obviously we did something right. 

I'm not an expert at football evaluations, but the coaches don't think any of these kids are worth offers at this point from our staff.  We don't have the luxury of giving kids non committable offers like other schools do.  Are these offers for Tate and Thomas committable from other SEC schools?  I would be surprised if the Ole Miss offer is. 

31to6

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on August 11, 2015, 11:30:45 am
that being said by the time signing day approaches we know if the act and grades are on par and if we have swinged and missed with others is when he opens up to more in state bordeline offers
It is very important to note that the staff does not seem to extend offers to in-state recruits if they are not willing to take their commitment immediately. They also do not seem to offer in-state players that have not attended camp/been evaluated in person.

I think this is very smart because recruits do not like "non-committable" offers and it is very easy to burn relationships with HS coaches if there is miscommunication.