Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyler Howell - 2015 JUCO OT

Started by jbhogfan4, August 06, 2015, 05:41:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbhogfan4

I saw the other day where he didn't academically qualify at Mizzou. He was a highly rated JUCO tackle that we were a finalist for last year who ended up picking Mizzou over us late. Idk if we wanted him and lost out on him or we cooled on him because of this potential problem. Either way it worked out for us.

It also makes me even more grateful that we took the informed/educated chance on Dominique Reed and it paid off. JUCO players are risky because of the academic requirements of the SEC. Kudos to Bielema and staff for always being on top of these things and doing their homework on these guys

redeye

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on August 06, 2015, 05:41:49 pm
I saw the other day where he didn't academically qualify at Mizzou. He was a highly rated JUCO tackle that we were a finalist for last year who ended up picking Mizzou over us late. Idk if we wanted him and lost out on him or we cooled on him because of this potential problem. Either way it worked out for us.

Not sure, but this is why I don't have a hissy fit when a player hasn't committed.

jbhogfan4

Quote from: redeye on August 06, 2015, 09:21:36 pm
Not sure, but this is why I don't have a hissy fit when a player hasn't committed.

I'm with you there. I was just simply passing along the info.

redeye

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on August 07, 2015, 12:02:03 am
I'm with you there. I was just simply passing along the info.

I wasn't referring to you and probably shouldn't have used your thread to make that point.  Sorry about that and thanks for the info!  I remember him and want to say that his offer was never committable, but I'm not sure that's right.

BatesvilleHOG

Some kids need that extra year or two in a JUCO school to get their grades right and let their body develop a little more. Worked out great with Tretola and looks like we made the right decisions on Ledbetter and Reed as well.

And when you have a chance to land a freak of nature on the football field like we did with Dominique Reed, you stick with it as long as you can because they'll either not make it or work their butts off and have potential to contribute a lot this coming season.

jbhogfan4

Quote from: redeye on August 07, 2015, 01:20:17 am
I wasn't referring to you and probably shouldn't have used your thread to make that point.  Sorry about that and thanks for the info!  I remember him and want to say that his offer was never committable, but I'm not sure that's right.

Hey, no worries my man. My ego was far from bruised over a respectable response like yours. I guess what I was essentially saying is that I really appreciate the way this staff goes about recruiting

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: jbhogfan4 on August 06, 2015, 05:41:49 pm

It also makes me even more grateful that we took the informed/educated chance on Dominique Reed and it paid off. JUCO players are risky because of the academic requirements of the SEC. Kudos to Bielema and staff for always being on top of these things and doing their homework on these guys

Arkansas cooled on Howell.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

redeye

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on August 07, 2015, 01:54:49 am
Some kids need that extra year or two in a JUCO school to get their grades right and let their body develop a little more. Worked out great with Tretola and looks like we made the right decisions on Ledbetter and Reed as well.

And when you have a chance to land a freak of nature on the football field like we did with Dominique Reed, you stick with it as long as you can because they'll either not make it or work their butts off and have potential to contribute a lot this coming season.

Seems like we've done very well with JUCO recruits lately.  Spraight and Alonzo Highsmith are others that come to mind.

presidenthog

Quote from: redeye on August 07, 2015, 10:53:53 pm
Seems like we've done very well with JUCO recruits lately.  Spraight and Alonzo Highsmith are others that come to mind.
Well we have had recently guys like tq coleman. I think he may have started one game or something but eventually gets kicked off the team and not allowed to participate in our pro day. Not saying all of them might end up like this but it is still a possibility. thankfully if so then thier shelf life is short, but sadly guys like tretola, or Spaight even are gone just as quickly.