Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Agim 2nd highest rated recruit to come out of the state

Started by The Recruiting Guy, August 06, 2015, 09:58:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

LRrazorback

Thanks RD.  For some reason I thought he was a top 3 guy. Stanford, Tebow, Mustain

LRrazorback

LRHawg

redeye

You called that one Richard.  I remember you saying Agim would be one of the best, long before others were saying it.

NLRHog92

Gotta believe it's down between us and A&M. I think this staff has done enough to get him, and would be mildly surprised if he wound up in College Station, but he is from Tejas after all. Just hope he thinks of AR as his home and wants to stay here and be a Hog

redeye

Quote from: NLRHog92 on August 06, 2015, 12:22:32 pm
Gotta believe it's down between us and A&M. I think this staff has done enough to get him, and would be mildly surprised if he wound up in College Station, but he is from Tejas after all. Just hope he thinks of AR as his home and wants to stay here and be a Hog

And Oklahoma was the school he followed growing up, so I'm not sure that matters.

Hawgzinbowlz

We need the Arkansas Fence up around Agim. Take your time, McTelvin, and then come to Fayetteville. You'll never regret it.

" GO HOGS "

secneahog

he is ALL HOG. I would deactivate my HV account if he isnt a Hog.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: LRrazorback on August 06, 2015, 11:37:26 am
Thanks RD.  For some reason I thought he was a top 3 guy. Stanford, Tebow, Mustain

top 3 QB but not top 3 overall

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: secneahog on August 07, 2015, 08:48:20 am
he is ALL HOG. I would deactivate my HV account if he isnt a Hog.

Can you deactivate it if he is a hog too?

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

When did we start caring about recruiting site rankings again?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 07, 2015, 01:26:13 pm
When did we start caring about recruiting site rankings again?

The one thing that matters here - Agim's ranking means we will get mentioned a lot on recruiting shows (presuming he commits and ultimately signs with UA). That is valuable PR that doesn't come with players even a few slots down the rankings.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 07, 2015, 02:09:58 pm
The one thing that matters here - Agim's ranking means we will get mentioned a lot on recruiting shows (presuming he commits and ultimately signs with UA). That is valuable PR that doesn't come with players even a few slots down the rankings.

Do you think high class rankings are valuable PR?

31to6

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 31to6 on August 07, 2015, 02:26:32 pm
Of course they are.

Sort of meant to be rhetorical.  I've learned that rankings don't matter...until, all of a sudden, they do.  Just depends on what the ranking happens to be.

redeye

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 07, 2015, 02:31:29 pm
Sort of meant to be rhetorical.  I've learned that rankings don't matter...until, all of a sudden, they do.  Just depends on what the ranking happens to be.

They don't matter on the field, but they can matter for PR purposes.  I thought that had been established?

Basically, they do and they don't, depending on your point of view or which way the coin lands.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on August 07, 2015, 03:04:19 pm
They don't matter on the field, but they can matter for PR purposes.  I thought that had been established?

Basically, they do and they don't, depending on your point of view or which way the coin lands.

I agree.  I guess the services, who aren't qualified to evaluate anything, got this particular evaluation right.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 07, 2015, 03:14:41 pm
I agree.  I guess the services, who aren't qualified to evaluate anything, got this particular evaluation right.

Blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2015, 03:21:31 pm
Blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

I'm just playing devil's advocate with this.  A ranking's, any ranking's, value is directly proportionate to the ranking itself.  That's all. 

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 07, 2015, 03:40:56 pm
I'm just playing devil's advocate with this.  A ranking's, any ranking's, value is directly proportionate to the ranking itself.  That's all. 

No, value is perceived to be what one puts on it, nothing more.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2015, 03:45:44 pm
No, value is perceived to be what one puts on it, nothing more.

Yes, that's what I meant.  We value the rankings highly...when they say what we want.  Otherwise they're crap.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 07, 2015, 03:51:33 pm
Yes, that's what I meant.  We value the rankings highly...when they say what we want.  Otherwise they're crap.

No, you are saying we cherry pick the rankings, only liking certain ones. I'm saying some people swear by them, others don't, thus each person assigns the value he wishes to them.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on August 07, 2015, 03:57:29 pm
No, you are saying we cherry pick the rankings, only liking certain ones. I'm saying some people swear by them, others don't, thus each person assigns the value he wishes to them.

Yes.  But I will say that I don't think that many actually swear by them.  Almost everyone acknowledges there are multiple variables involved. 

redeye

How many times have you heard someone say that they value 247's composite ranking the most?  I hear it all the time.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on August 07, 2015, 04:03:16 pm
How many times have you heard someone say that they value 247's composite ranking the most?  I hear it all the time.

Yes, it's the most common claim.  I also don't hear many claiming that the rankings are the be-all end-all either.  Regardless, 247 is nothing more that a higher number of unqualified "evaluators".  It shouldn't be seen as anymore valuable than any single service IMO.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 07, 2015, 04:07:52 pm
Yes, it's the most common claim.  I also don't hear many claiming that the rankings are the be-all end-all either.  Regardless, 247 is nothing more that a higher number of unqualified "evaluators".  It shouldn't be seen as anymore valuable than any single service IMO.

I think the guys that "evaluate" probably do have some ability to do it, more than likely better than your average fan. What they can't do, is see every player numerous times and put a proper evaluation on them, much less see every player.

redeye

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 07, 2015, 04:07:52 pm

Yea, I'm coming around to that view myself, as I see more players with evaluations on other services, but not on 247.  I really don't know which services are better, but I've always liked rival's database filtering and I like 247's composite ranking.  Scout's website just seems horrible and ESPN is just bad all around.  Rivals and 247 are the main one's I use, but I'm not sure their evaluations are any better.

jcharkansas

Yup, that's usually how everyone is about it, stars don't matter, unless we get a 4 or 5 star then all the sudden it's a big deal.

redeye

Quote from: jcharkansas on August 08, 2015, 10:29:33 pm
Yup, that's usually how everyone is about it, stars don't matter, unless we get a 4 or 5 star then all the sudden it's a big deal.

I think the Heisman Trophy is a sham, but if Brandon Allen or Jwill were to win it this year, it would still be a big deal.

presidenthog

Quote from: redeye on August 07, 2015, 04:36:19 pm
Yea, I'm coming around to that view myself, as I see more players with evaluations on other services, but not on 247.  I really don't know which services are better, but I've always liked rival's database filtering and I like 247's composite ranking.  Scout's website just seems horrible and ESPN is just bad all around.  Rivals and 247 are the main one's I use, but I'm not sure their evaluations are any better.

the reason they all value it most is because the composite ranking takes into account all of the other major recruiting services ranking as well as thier own.

redeye

Quote from: presidenthog on August 09, 2015, 02:06:33 am
the reason they all value it most is because the composite ranking takes into account all of the other major recruiting services ranking as well as thier own.

Yea, that's my point.  I can't tell which are the best, so the composite is the next best thing.  It's certainly the safest.

The only thing I don't like about the 247 composite is that they've never released which other services they use, to my knowledge, anyway.  If they ever do, I suspect there will be some surprises, because I've noticed things not adding up at times.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: presidenthog on August 09, 2015, 02:06:33 am

Except it doesn't take into consideration the most common mantra around here...that these rankings were developed by a bunch of guys who aren't qualified to rank anything.  Guys who strictly look at subscription numbers to determine the rankings.  As such, the composite is no more valid than any single service.

presidenthog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 09, 2015, 10:52:56 am
Except it doesn't take into consideration the most common mantra around here...that these rankings were developed by a bunch of guys who aren't qualified to rank anything.  Guys who strictly look at subscription numbers to determine the rankings.  As such, the composite is no more valid than any single service.
Dude I don't understand this way of thinking. the either Stars matter or they don't BS that goes on around here and why people try to argue it so much. everyone here knows it is somewhere in the middle. arguing this is like being a democrat and deciding that you have to be as far left as possible or being a republican and having to be as far right as possible. that there can be no inbetween. it is absurd and rediculous.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: presidenthog on August 09, 2015, 11:30:58 am
Dude I don't understand this way of thinking. the either Stars matter or they don't BS that goes on around here and why people try to argue it so much. everyone here knows it is somewhere in the middle. arguing this is like being a democrat and deciding that you have to be as far left as possible or being a republican and having to be as far right as possible. that there can be no inbetween. it is absurd and rediculous.

Dude, my post was playing devil's advocate.  Sarcastically.  Read the first sentence again.

Of course the rankings have some merit. 

presidenthog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 09, 2015, 11:39:37 am
Dude, my post was playing devil's advocate.  Sarcastically.  Read the first sentence again.

Of course the rankings have some merit.
I realize that you was just playing devils advocate... I just figured it was time to put it to rest. your point was made.   :razorback: ::hornsdown::

secneahog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on August 07, 2015, 10:19:26 am
Can you deactivate it if he is a hog too?

you still think Pettway is going to play defense here?....

Ragnow would be our starting center this year...

no way we turn down Barnett, and Powell will commit to us...

man you have been so spot on.  impressive
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 07, 2015, 02:31:29 pm

Regardless of which side of the argument you are on with "stars", landing a intsate top talent of this nature is good along with great publicity when he will be around every top recruit in the nation and will attract recruits attention with every recruiting move and comment he makes.  That does matter and you know that. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: redeye on August 08, 2015, 11:28:27 pm
I think the Heisman Trophy is a sham, but if Brandon Allen or Jwill were to win it this year, it would still be a big deal.

That comparison would be good if I think I with most Hog fans feel it truly is a scam after the Dmac treating.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: secneahog on August 09, 2015, 04:32:08 pm
you still think Pettway is going to play defense here?....

Ragnow would be our starting center this year...

no way we turn down Barnett, and Powell will commit to us...

man you have been so spot on.  impressive

Well let's take a look at some of your past posts while we're at it.

"No way in hell Kody Walker will play fullback." A few months go by, and now you think they'll move him to fullback. So which one is it?

Weir will be a stud

McKay will be a stud

Flynn won't get booted his senior year.

Boyd will start at center. (Turns out my Ragnow prediction was a little more accurate.)

Solomon Thomas would be a hog

Randy Shannon would be our dc

And oh yeah, Gruden.

Everybody makes predictions about things, and the majority end up wrong. But when someone disagrees with you, you act like a complete jerk. Like nobody is allowed to have an opinion that's different than yours.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 09, 2015, 04:34:39 pm
Regardless of which side of the argument you are on with "stars", landing a intsate top talent of this nature is good along with great publicity when he will be around every top recruit in the nation and will attract recruits attention with every recruiting move and comment he makes.  That does matter and you know that.

Of course I know that. 

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on August 09, 2015, 06:41:25 pm
Everybody makes predictions about things, and the majority end up wrong. But when someone disagrees with you, you act like a complete jerk. Like nobody is allowed to have an opinion that's different than yours.