Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TJ Hammonds video is very impressive.

Started by luke hawg, July 29, 2015, 07:22:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

He looks comfortable at RB or in the slot, a potential APB.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogfan14

His balance and cutting ability really stood out to me

luke hawg

I hate to admit but I kind of took him for granted when he first committed.His highlight tape is really impressive. I could be wrong, but I'd bet there are few backs with his versatility at the highschool level that also have the size to play RB in college.

duckman

sickboy

JackJohnson

Quote from: duckman on July 29, 2015, 11:12:01 pm
Joe Adams....

Yep.  And like Adams you don't want him lined up in the backfield very often, BUT can be used on occasion.  Our offense is designed for a 205-225 between the tackles pounder. 

I know we are having a lot of trouble recruiting RB's and are trying to justify it in any way that we can, but we don't need to try to let the Hammonds commit offset that bc at 185 lbs he isn't a "fit" for our scheme as a full time RB and his commit doesn't take away the need for two great rb's that we have in this class

In other words, TJ can be of great value to our team as a slot WR that we can use on screens and crossing routes to get him the ball in space, but if we have to line him up in the backfield and run between the tackles 15 times a game that is going to be to the detriment of us and him as he won't be effective nor will his body allow it

whosiskid

Hammonds is not a small guy. Some sites list him as over 200 pounds and he could gain                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               ten pounds or so easily in college. He could easily play running back. He and Alex Collins will be at close to the same weight next season. What makes him attractive at WR is his pass catching ability and his ability to run in a crowd. Even if he plays running back full time I would expect him to run a lot of pass routes out of the backfield.

But it is great to have a problem like this one, trying to figure out which position to put him at.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

ricepig

Quote from: whosiskid on July 30, 2015, 09:19:14 am
Hammonds is not a small guy. Some sites list him as over 200 pounds and he could gain                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               ten pounds or so easily in college. He could easily play running back. He and Alex Collins will be at close to the same weight next season. What makes him attractive at WR is his pass catching ability and his ability to run in a crowd. Even if he plays running back full time I would expect him to run a lot of pass routes out of the backfield.

But it is great to have a problem like this one, trying to figure out which position to put him at.

He didn't look that big in his picture on the field from last week, nothing a year with Herb won't fix.

Wildhog

The thing is, we don't need "one stud RB and another guy that can play RB"

We need two stud RB's.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 30, 2015, 09:23:28 am
The thing is, we don't need "one stud RB and another guy that can play RB"

We need two stud RB's.

It's all in the definition of "stud."

JackJohnson

Quote from: whosiskid on July 30, 2015, 09:19:14 am

Hammonds weighed in at 5-11 189 and ran a 4.66 electronic time at the Dallas Sparq combine.  Collins weighs about 215.  That is a 25 lbs difference.  Hammonds has a WR frame (i.e. doesn't have the "RB thighs"), not sure we would want him trying to gain 25-30 lbs as either you are built like a RB or you are not

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/mar/14/dallas-nike-combine-tidbits/

010HogFan

We might have a Reggie Bush like guy on our hands here.

younghog

Quote from: sickboy on July 29, 2015, 11:37:11 pm
In case anyone wants some of those goods:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1905248/highlights/160102375/v2

Very nice highlights.. Heck if he didn't have to wait on balls to get to him.. [to much air] he would have scored on several of those.

Good Pickup.. As I love them LR boys..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Arthur pigby sellers.

Same ht and weight as Harvin.  Kid could play either RB or WR in college.  But we probably have more need for a RB right now than a slot WR.  Unfortunately he doesn't have the same 40 time as Harvin, but he might get closer to it. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on July 30, 2015, 12:58:03 pm
Same ht and weight as Harvin.  Kid could play either RB or WR in college.  But we probably have more need for a RB right now than a slot WR.  Unfortunately he doesn't have the same 40 time as Harvin, but he might get closer to it. 

Harvin ran a 4.41 at the combine

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/percy-harvin?id=80425
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on July 30, 2015, 12:58:03 pm
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 29, 2015, 07:49:57 pm
He's a percy harvin type guy!
YUP!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on July 30, 2015, 12:59:51 pm
Harvin ran a 4.41 at the combine

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/percy-harvin?id=80425
how in the world are you comparing the NFL combine numbers with a junior in High School's numbers? Might we let him grow FOUR MORE YEARS first?

We get it. You are scare about White. You are scare about AC. RELAX, bro. We are gonna have Alex friggin Collins, Kody Walker, RWIII, probably Devin White, and TJ Hammonds PLUS the other cats. It's friggin LOADED.

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 30, 2015, 02:09:21 pm
how in the world are you comparing the NFL combine numbers with a junior in High School's numbers? Might we let him grow FOUR MORE YEARS first?

We get it. You are scare about White. You are scare about AC. RELAX, bro. We are gonna have Alex friggin Collins, Kody Walker, RWIII, probably Devin White, and TJ Hammonds PLUS the other cats. It's friggin LOADED.

Sig bet on AC coming back?  Everything I've seen/heard suggests he's gone.  DW has even posted on the rivals board that he's heard he's leaving after this year, too.

Kody helps a lot, but there's a reason he's getting a sixth year.  He's injury prone.

We have somewhat of a chance at getting White.

And I like TJ Hammonds too, but you guys need to slow the hell down with this Percy Harvin mess.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

And Percy Harvin ran a 4.34 coming out of HS, too.  You can't really teach speed.

He was also the #1 overall recruit in the nation.

EDIT: It was actually a 4.34 he ran at a HS combine in San Antonio.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on July 30, 2015, 02:52:52 pm
And Percy Harvin ran a 4.34 coming out of HS, too.  You can't really teach speed.

He was also the #1 overall recruit in the nation.

EDIT: It was actually a 4.34 he ran at a HS combine in San Antonio.

Harvin was a 5* #2 WR in the country according to scout.com.  He went to a combine going into his Sr year (in the link) that had him at 5-11 182 4.34

http://cfn.scout.com/a.z?s=451&p=8&c=1&nid=1707860

Harvin has always been used as a "gadget" player bc of his unreal speed and lined up out of the backfield in both college (a bunch) and the NFL.  He has also been heavily injury prone as well. 

I don't see CBB as the type to use "gadget" RB's bc NOTHING in his 9 years as a coach shows that he does that with any kind of frequency.  He will use his WR's on end arounds no question, and Hammonds would excel at that probably even moreso then Hatcher does now.  But he doesn't use WR's and line them up as a RB the way Harvin was used, and he most definitely doesn't line them up to take carries as a regular part of the offense

CBB has had some "smaller" RB's in the low 200 lbs range, but those guys were RB's and were built like RB's.  Hammonds is built like a slot WR with narrow/small legs and isn't a scheme fit for us as a RB between the tackles, but could be a dynamic player for us out of the slot

Wildhog

Quote from: JackJohnson on July 30, 2015, 03:09:04 pm
Harvin was a 5* #2 WR in the country according to scout.com.  He went to a combine going into his Sr year (in the link) that had him at 5-11 182 4.34

Harvin has always been used as a "gadget" player bc of his unreal speed and lined up out of the backfield in both college (a bunch) and the NFL.  He has also been heavily injury prone as well. 

I don't see CBB as the type to use "gadget" RB's bc NOTHING in his 9 years as a coach shows that he does that with any kind of frequency.  He will use his WR's on end arounds no question, and Hammonds would excel at that probably even moreso then Hatcher does now.  But he doesn't use WR's and line them up as a RB the way Harvin was used, and he most definitely doesn't line them up to take carries as a regular part of the offense

CBB has had some "smaller" RB's in the low 200 lbs range, but those guys were RB's and were built like RB's.  Hammonds is built like a slot WR with narrow/small legs and isn't a scheme fit for us as a RB between the tackles, but could be a dynamic player for us out of the slot

Agree with everything you typed.  I really like Hammonds.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LRHawg

Great observations. I'm super stoked to see how we utilize him!

PonderinHog

I wonder if Hammond's organs can take the pounding CBB's offense.

chitwnhog

Quote from: JackJohnson on July 30, 2015, 08:59:14 am
Yep.  And like Adams you don't want him lined up in the backfield very often, BUT can be used on occasion.  Our offense is designed for a 205-225 between the tackles pounder. 

I know we are having a lot of trouble recruiting RB's and are trying to justify it in any way that we can, but we don't need to try to let the Hammonds commit offset that bc at 185 lbs he isn't a "fit" for our scheme as a full time RB and his commit doesn't take away the need for two great rb's that we have in this class

In other words, TJ can be of great value to our team as a slot WR that we can use on screens and crossing routes to get him the ball in space, but if we have to line him up in the backfield and run between the tackles 15 times a game that is going to be to the detriment of us and him as he won't be effective nor will his body allow it

Hammonds has similar measurables to Korliss Marshall coming out of HS.

31to6

Quote from: Wildhog on July 30, 2015, 02:52:52 pm
No, but you can teach a fast kid to improve his 40 time (i.e.: help him with the skill of running a dash faster).

And you can take a fast kid and make him faster:Knile Davis shaved .15 off his 40 time while at Arkansas (4.45ish out of HS, 4.32 at the combine).

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on July 30, 2015, 02:50:50 pm
Sig bet on AC coming back?  Everything I've seen/heard suggests he's gone.  DW has even posted on the rivals board that he's heard he's leaving after this year, too.

Kody helps a lot, but there's a reason he's getting a sixth year.  He's injury prone.

We have somewhat of a chance at getting White.

And I like TJ Hammonds too, but you guys need to slow the hell down with this Percy Harvin mess.
that's much better. and , yeah, he hasn't proven to be harvin effective yet but he is harvinESQUE , which was our point. I'm with you on Devin being a huge need but i don't think we HAVE to sign two 4+*s this class. Just Devin would be straight. Then another stud in '17.

Pig in the Pokey

that's a fine post.

luke hawg

A Potential all purpose back, the kid hasn't played his senior season yet and you're harping on his lack of leg girth. He could easily play at 215 once in a college weight program.

HogInFlorida

Quote from: JackJohnson on July 30, 2015, 09:26:23 am
Hammonds weighed in at 5-11 189 and ran a 4.66 electronic time at the Dallas Sparq combine.  Collins weighs about 215.  That is a 25 lbs difference.  Hammonds has a WR frame (i.e. doesn't have the "RB thighs"), not sure we would want him trying to gain 25-30 lbs as either you are built like a RB or you are not

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/mar/14/dallas-nike-combine-tidbits/

Collins was around 175 as a junior in high school. Hammonds is 189 and hasn't played his senior year yet. Not saying I want Hammonds anywhere near 225 like Collins was last year but getting to at least 205 is easily and attainable and will be beneficial. DJ Dean has put on probably 20-25 lbs since arriving.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

jgphillips3

duckman

He will end up 205-215 and sub 4.5 and I will take all bets on that....

ricepig

Quote from: duckman on July 31, 2015, 02:00:14 am
He will end up 205-215 and sub 4.5 and I will take all bets on that....

At the NFL combine? They are the only one's I trust for a true measurement and time.

SemperFi

Really nice post.

I'm going strictly fan here and say that his highlights are some of the most impressive that I've seen in a long while. Love the way that he runs...looks effortless and has what looks like that elite type of speed. I don't care how CBB utilizes him, just as long as he gets the ball. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

secneahog

Dw on Rivals says Tj will get more touches at rb then most are thinking.

Remember pittman and Enos talking about working the edge more? Hmmm..

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

Quote from: secneahog on July 31, 2015, 08:19:30 am
Dw on Rivals says Tj will get more touches at rb then most are thinking.

Remember pittman and Enos talking about working the edge more? Hmmm..

I have no doubt he'll be used situationally as a RB.  I do very seriously doubt he'll be there full time.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoggard

Harvin ? Joe Adams ? Hey I've watched this young mans video more than once and seen him play long before I joined this enjoyable site. IMO TJ Hammonds is his own man. And we can't get him on campus soon enough. I trust the coaches to evaluate his position. They seem pretty good at what they do. I do understand that its fun to speculate.  ;)

One thing I don't have to speculate about is Tj will be a difference maker for us. The young man has a HUGE upside.
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: SemperFi on July 31, 2015, 07:14:58 am
Really nice post.

I'm going strictly fan here and say that his highlights are some of the most impressive that I've seen in a long while. Love the way that he runs...looks effortless and has what looks like that elite type of speed. I don't care how CBB utilizes him, just as long as he gets the ball. WPS!
He runs like Bambi.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hoggard on August 01, 2015, 06:15:33 pm
Harvin ? Joe Adams ? Hey I've watched this young mans video more than once and seen him play long before I joined this enjoyable site. IMO TJ Hammonds is his own man. And we can't get him on campus soon enough. I trust the coaches to evaluate his position. They seem pretty good at what they do. I do understand that its fun to speculate.  ;)

One thing I don't have to speculate about is Tj will be a difference maker for us. The young man has a HUGE upside.
Welcome to Hogville, Sir.

hhicNaychaBoi

this kid is a great talent and he reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush. He vision is impressive and he makes great cuts without loosing much speed at all. I would bet that he is going to be a rb in college. He is a playmaker and at rb he would have the chance to make a ton of plays. He doesn't have to be an every down back because CBB uses running back by committee. After a redshirt year and a little muscle growth he will be ready to light defenses up imo. I'm glad he's on board. WPS!!!!!

Pig in the Pokey

'Haubert is surprised Hammonds isn't talked about more on the national level.
"I don't know how great necessarily his top-end speed is, but he's a versatile, explosive, quick player," Haubert said. "He's in the mold of Joe Adams. Joe brought extreme versatility, a play making element. I think to a degree, I wouldn't quite put him at that same level, but he's the kind of player that can bring a lot of versatility to their offense."
Hammonds who also had 19 unassisted tackles, 1 forced fumble and a recovered fumble as a defensive back, committed to Arkansas in April over scholarship offers from Georgia, Arizona, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, TCU, Vanderbilt and others
"He's pretty natural around the ball and once he gets the ball in his hands, he has the ability to make things happen," Haubert said.'- from Whole Hog Sports Agim and Hammonds article.

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 06, 2015, 12:33:31 pm
'Haubert is surprised Hammonds isn’t talked about more on the national level.
“I don’t know how great necessarily his top-end speed is, but he’s a versatile, explosive, quick player,” Haubert said. “He’s in the mold of Joe Adams. Joe brought extreme versatility, a play making element. I think to a degree, I wouldn’t quite put him at that same level, but he’s the kind of player that can bring a lot of versatility to their offense.”
Hammonds who also had 19 unassisted tackles, 1 forced fumble and a recovered fumble as a defensive back, committed to Arkansas in April over scholarship offers from Georgia, Arizona, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, TCU, Vanderbilt and others
“He’s pretty natural around the ball and once he gets the ball in his hands, he has the ability to make things happen,” Haubert said.'- from Whole Hog Sports Agim and Hammonds article.

Basically what I've always thought.  Will be a stud in the slot and returning kicks/punts.  A much needed addition.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The real Hogules

Joe Adams 2.0.
This kid is quick and understands the game of football and makes defenders look silly. EXTREMELY underrated.
Great get for our coaching staff, regardless of his # of *'s.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!