Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Morris and QB's

Started by hogmolar, December 11, 2017, 05:19:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmolar

In a thread in MMQB someone posted that during his time at Clemson CCM offered 4 qbs,
Deshaun Watson, Chad Kelly, Kelly Bryant, and Lamar Jackson. He seems to be an excellent evaluator of QB talent.

That being said let us keep thid in mind when we make statements like "CCM must get Bohannon.  If he doesnt then ____________" 

While we all look and see that Mr Bohannon, in our eyes, seems to be a special player CCM seems to have a pretty good eye for D1 level upper tier to elite QB talent. Let's let him work and trust the system.

Hoggish1

I never understand why fans think they are the saviors of their program and know more than the coaches.  Does anyone think the coaches make decisions against their best interest when it comes to player evaluation?

scooby21322

So, as it stands, it's possible we get three QBs in this class (Noland, Bohannan, Jones)?   Doesn't that seem off to you guys? 

#1 STUNNA

I think they want Bohannon and Jones more than Noland in my opinion.

blu

I don't and I don't know why you would say that.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

#1 STUNNA

Im sure every recruit gets told the same thing... but Bohannon in an interview said Morris wants him to come in and be the guy. Could just be the sales pitch or he could really want him to be his guy.

scooby21322

Quote from: blu on December 11, 2017, 08:57:54 am
I don't and I don't know why you would say that.

Even in years when we can sign a full class, it's typical to sign just one QB.  With a small class like this year, we may end up with 3?  And why?  Two will probably never see the field.  It seems a waste of space. 

I'm not making any case about who should or should not be getting the offer, but it makes no sense to be bringing in more than 2 QBs.  I'd say we should only be bringing in 1. 

I understand the reasons, I think.  Noland already committed and is well regarded.  Bohannon probably is the best fit for Morris' system.  And Jones is a wild card with an important grandfather. All three could be great QBs. But, to me, hard conversations need to be made with at least one of them.

PorkRinds

I don't feel like Jones ever sees the field as a QB. Nolan and GB can battle it out to see who is the new QB for the system. But I wouldn't count out CK or DH either. Gonna be an interesting battle to watch.

scooby21322

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 09:32:09 am
I don't feel like Jones ever sees the field as a QB.

Agree.  Does he have potential at any other position?  If so, that may make more sense...

Oklahawg

Jones is a blueshirt. His could wind up being a courtesy offer to honor the Jones family.  Won't count against this class, and Jones should not be mentioned in any serious chatter about QBs (imo).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

wpswillriseagain

I think GB has great potential but going from 2a ball to the SEC is a a huge jump, especially for a QB. He's probably super raw too and needs at least 1, maybe 2 years of development.

Fan1958

Quote from: scooby21322 on December 11, 2017, 09:27:29 am
Even in years when we can sign a full class, it's typical to sign just one QB.  With a small class like this year, we may end up with 3?  And why?  Two will probably never see the field.  It seems a waste of space. 

I'm not making any case about who should or should not be getting the offer, but it makes no sense to be bringing in more than 2 QBs.  I'd say we should only be bringing in 1. 

I understand the reasons, I think.  Noland already committed and is well regarded.  Bohannon probably is the best fit for Morris' system.  And Jones is a wild card with an important grandfather. All three could be great QBs. But, to me, hard conversations need to be made with at least one of them.

Why don't you call up ol' Chad and offer to be his recruiting coordinator?  I mean, he convinced some of the best QBs in the nation to come to Clemson. I'm sure he needs all the help he can get relative to what the recruiting class should look like.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Freebrd

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2017, 09:35:37 am
Jones is a blueshirt. His could wind up being a courtesy offer to honor the Jones family.  Won't count against this class, and Jones should not be mentioned in any serious chatter about QBs (imo).

^^^^ Agree 100% ^^^^

jjdlc

There is also a very real possibility Noland will never set foot on campus.  A lot of speculation that he could be drafted fairly high in the MLB draft.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jjdlc on December 11, 2017, 09:52:56 am
There is also a very real possibility Noland will never set foot on campus.  A lot of speculation that he could be drafted fairly high in the MLB draft.

Eh. Not that great of a chance for him in the draft.

RaisinHog

And if he does not go too draft he knows baseball is where his money will be made ... We need Gerry bad

Deep Shoat

Jones ends up as a slot receiver.  Bohannon will either be a beast at QB (doubtful, 2A Arkansas to SEC is too big of a jump) or moves to another position where his athleticism makes him a star. Noland is our QB of the future, until Grant Gunnel arrives.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HVHog

I watched Nolan a couple of weeks ago and he can flat sling the ball on a rope and is accurate.  He definitely looks like he can hold his own with anyone, and looks better now than AA did in HS.

scooby21322

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2017, 09:35:37 am

I get that.  But, he'll redshirt the same year as Noland/Bohannan.  Will graduate at the same time.  So, overall numbers wise (as opposed to class numbers) he seems to be wasted space.  That is, unless they have a plan for him that I'm not seeing.

scooby21322

Quote from: Fan1958 on December 11, 2017, 09:41:18 am
Why don't you call up ol' Chad and offer to be his recruiting coordinator?  I mean, he convinced some of the best QBs in the nation to come to Clemson. I'm sure he needs all the help he can get relative to what the recruiting class should look like.

Oh come on.  Debating about recruiting is what these message boards are for. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 11, 2017, 10:09:27 am
Jones ends up as a slot receiver.  Bohannon will either be a beast at QB (doubtful, 2A Arkansas to SEC is too big of a jump) or moves to another position where his athleticism makes him a star. Noland is our QB of the future, until Grant Gunnel arrives.

Noland and Gunnell are exactly one year apart, doesn't sound like much of a future for Noland..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

SooieGeneris

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 11, 2017, 08:55:25 am
I think they want Bohannon and Jones more than Noland in my opinion.

CM and Noland's coach at Greenwood, Rick Jones, have known each other quite awhile thru Gus.

If he didn't want Noland, one would think he'd inform his long time friend Rick Jones..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 11, 2017, 11:11:02 am
Noland and Gunnell are exactly one year apart, doesn't sound like much of a future for Noland..

Unless he beats them out. Gotta like the competition...

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 11, 2017, 11:14:19 am
CM and Noland's coach at Greenwood, Rick Jones, have known each other quite awhile thru Gus.

If he didn't want Noland, one would think he'd inform his long time friend Rick Jones..

my comments are solely on Bohannon saying the staff want him to come in and be the man!!!

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 11, 2017, 07:38:51 am
I never understand why fans think they are the saviors of their program and know more than the coaches.  Does anyone think the coaches make decisions against their best interest when it comes to player evaluation?
If your talking player evaluations of current players then a bunch of folks accused BB of this. Allen brothers, for instance.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

hogmolar

Too me the best part of seeing who CCM has offered in the past is that they are not "system quarterbacks."  All 4 of the guys listed have been really good quarterbacks in different systems. This shows he can evaluate the talent.   

scooby21322

So, I'm not here to try and second guess what they're doing.  Rather, I'm just confused by this tact and was curious if I'm not seeing something.  I can articulate why something doesn't make sense to me without second guessing being my motive. 

zebradynasty

It all depends upon how much Morris is willing to eliminate out of his offensive playbook. Despite the offers Noland nor Jones are true dual threat QB's. That doesn't mean they can't run Morris's offense he'll just have to cut some plays out. If Bohannon is the what he wants he'll have to do the same thing initially. I think Bohannon will struggle reading defenses and throwing. Just like the others will have trouble reading defenses and running. If Morris wants a Watson or Jackson type of QB that means he wants a QB capable of running for at least 600-700+ yards. I don't see Jones nor Noland ever being able to do that. If he wants a QB to throw for 2500-3000 yards not sure Bohannon can do that, at least not until he's an upperclassman.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogmolar on December 11, 2017, 05:19:14 am
In a thread in MMQB someone posted that during his time at Clemson CCM offered 4 qbs,
Deshaun Watson, Chad Kelly, Kelly Bryant, and Lamar Jackson. He seems to be an excellent evaluator of QB talent.

That being said let us keep thid in mind when we make statements like "CCM must get Bohannon.  If he doesnt then ____________" 

While we all look and see that Mr Bohannon, in our eyes, seems to be a special player CCM seems to have a pretty good eye for D1 level upper tier to elite QB talent. Let's let him work and trust the system.
that was me.

we need to trust his eyes over our own eyes.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jjdlc on December 11, 2017, 09:52:56 am
also- say he does come here. HE IS PLAYING BASEBALL. Which means he'll never be at spring practice for football. He wont be the starter here....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang