Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Bielema delivers written message to team

Started by gchamblee, July 25, 2017, 09:29:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jul/25/bielema-delivers-written-message-201707/

"Bielema equated the Razorbacks' efforts to bounce back from a 7-6 season, which ended with scoreless second halves in losses at Missouri and to Virginia Tech in the Belk Bowl, to that of PGA golfer Jordan Spieth.

Spieth blew a five-shot lead on the back nine at the Masters last April, came to grips with the lost opportunity for a title, and won the British Open on Sunday with a strong finish after blowing a three-stroke lead.

"I see Jordan Spieth go through what he went through yesterday [Sunday], and I'm not saying there's a great correlation between golf and football," Bielema said. "But the mentality of the game. Just because you've been in a situation doesn't mean you have to be defined by it. You can change the answer at any time and I think our guys are eager.""

NuttinItUp

I hope we can bounce back this year. I like the uniqueness of writing a letter to each player. (Did he hand-write each one, or just do it in MS Word and print off 85 copies?)

I hope he also emphasizes it in his speeches to them as well.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: gchamblee on July 25, 2017, 09:29:42 am
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jul/25/bielema-delivers-written-message-201707/

"Bielema equated the Razorbacks' efforts to bounce back from a 7-6 season, which ended with scoreless second halves in losses at Missouri and to Virginia Tech in the Belk Bowl, to that of PGA golfer Jordan Spieth.

Spieth blew a five-shot lead on the back nine at the Masters last April, came to grips with the lost opportunity for a title, and won the British Open on Sunday with a strong finish after blowing a three-stroke lead.

"I see Jordan Spieth go through what he went through yesterday [Sunday], and I'm not saying there's a great correlation between golf and football," Bielema said. "But the mentality of the game. Just because you've been in a situation doesn't mean you have to be defined by it. You can change the answer at any time and I think our guys are eager.""

I truly like this. While it's obviously going to come down to what, if anything, each player takes to heart concerning this message, there IS a great lesson to be learned for all of us. I watched Jordan the other day and marveled how time after time he was able to come back from having made a bad shot (witness #13) and not only recovered with minimal damage, but then go on a spree of birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie on the next four holes to totally secure the title. That took some incredible fortitude and mental toughness to match or exceed anything I've seen in sports.

As my dad taught me: It's not always what you've achieved that measures you as a man. Rather, it's what you've had to OVERCOME that truly defines your accomplishment and greatness. Doubtless we saw that in "spades" the other day at The Open; hopefully we see much of that this fall with the Hogs.

goodguytex

What I want to see out of this year's team is a lot of fight in them. They let games go last year in the 2nd half, and lost. It's one thing to just get beat by a better team, and you gave all you got. But to just not give the effort in games we should've been able to put away was what got me.

Then there's the auburn game where we just laid down from first kickoff. This team needs to fight every game, fight until the last whistle. They get beat they get beat, but give it all they got until the game is over. If they have that attitude, it may make a difference in some games this year.

AirWarren

daBoar

I have come to believe that W's in the SEC are just not going to come easily for the Hogs, regardless of the coach.  So I could foresee a 7-6 record this year whereby I also see progress over 2016. I look to improvement and I'm not sure that always is borne out in the W-L ratio. I like stoking the fire and raising accountability.

Still, just maybe we'll see 9 wins because of that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 25, 2017, 09:55:40 am
I truly like this. While it's obviously going to come down to what, if anything, each player takes to heart concerning this message, there IS a great lesson to be learned for all of us. I watched Jordan the other day and marveled how time after time he was able to come back from having made a bad shot (witness #13) and not only recovered with minimal damage, but then go on a spree of birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie on the next four holes to totally secure the title. That took some incredible fortitude and mental toughness to match or exceed anything I've seen in sports.

As my dad taught me: It's not always what you've achieved that measures you as a man. Rather, it's what you've had to OVERCOME that truly defines your accomplishment and greatness. Doubtless we saw that in "spades" the other day at The Open; hopefully we see much of that this fall with the Hogs.

I like what Speith's Caddy said to him when he was having all of that trouble in his last round. He reminded him of where he had been just the weekend before with Michael Phelps, Russell Wilson, Dwight Freeney, Michael Jordan and Fred Couples. He told him, "Remember who you were with last weekend? You belong with those guys, you are that good. I need you to remember that right now". Sometimes we seem to suffer from a lack of confidence as a team given the Division and the teams that we play every weekend. I think what Speith's Caddy said to him is something that we need to be telling ourselves.
Go Hogs Go!

AirWarren

Quote from: southeasthog on July 25, 2017, 11:52:54 am
Maybe the same 10-20 posters shouldn't only post negative stuff every time they find it. Maybe the same 10-20 shouldn't jump in every positive thread on here and rant and complain. Maybe if y'all are so threatened by positive posters that you have to "keep it real", then y'all shouldn't be on a Razorback message board. Some of like to be excited for the new season.

I like to balance myself between realist vs pessimistic. When negativity is due, that's what I'll give. When positivity is due, ill give it.

A razorback message board should have all opinions. Ranging from the annoying to the annoying sunshine pumpers. People are entitled to an opinion. It goes both ways.

Here's hoping these kids fight for their coach this year and get some big time wins.

The OTR

Normally I guess I would mock this but I would like to be on the list of those who appreciate this so I am going to refrain from making any derogatory comment at this time.

Tejano Jawg

Thanks for posting gchamblee. Good story.

Having seen every kind of loss over my 40+ years of Hog watching, I don't remember anything like how those last 2 games played out. There were several "dark" things at work, with both players and coaches—way beyond tightening up, getting conservative, not executing, etc. Sure we need to move on from that, but I'm glad it's in Bielema's mind as a teaching opportunity.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Vantage 8 dude

July 25, 2017, 02:53:47 pm #10 Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:50:13 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 25, 2017, 11:45:21 am
I like what Speith's Caddy said to him when he was having all of that trouble in his last round. He reminded him of where he had been just the weekend before with Michael Phelps, Russell Wilson, Dwight Freeney, Michael Jordan and Fred Couples. He told him, "Remember who you were with last weekend? You belong with those guys, you are that good. I need you to remember that right now". Sometimes we seem to suffer from a lack of confidence as a team given the Division and the teams that we play every weekend. I think what Speith's Caddy said to him is something that we need to be telling ourselves.
Good points. Yep, I agree that at times it's almost as if we psych ourselves into believing that something bad is going to happen. Unfortunately it sometimes becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. When you're sometimes battling a team with superior athletic ability/talent (and perhaps even better/more effective schemes) the absolute LAST thing you need to do is to doubt yourself, your teammates, or your coaches. Every has to be "all in" all the time. 

One further thing: while 40 times, weight reps, football IQ, quickness and other physical attributes are important, one thing I think often gets overlooked is that (relatively) short space between each ear. Conquer the mind's attitude and you've gone a long way in controlling the performance of a young person.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 25, 2017, 02:53:47 pm
Good points. Yep, I agree that at times it's almost as if we psych ourselves into believing that something bad is going to happen. Unfortunately it sometimes becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. When you're sometimes battling a team with superior athletic ability/talent (and perhaps even better/more effective schemes) the absolute LAST thing you need to do is to doubt yourself, your teammates, or your coaches. Every has to be "all in" all the time. 

One further thing: while 40 times, weight reps, football IQ, quickness and other physical attributes are important, one thing I think often gets overlooked is that (relatively) short space between each ear. Conquer the mind's attitude and you've gone a long way in controlling the performance of a young person.

I agree. I've seen smaller guys whip bigger guys arses all over the field all day long not only because they trained hard, ingrained excellent technique in themselves and watched a lot of film, but also because of their mental toughness, positive attitude and an absolute refusal to be beaten in the battle on the field. You can do all of the other and if you don't have the dedicated will to not be beaten in your mind and heart, the rest is less effective.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Very thoughtful of CBB to do that for the players.

(Mark that down as a positive post for Al)

bythelake

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on July 25, 2017, 04:56:33 pm
the two sports are apple / organes - at least use another physically demanding, fast paced sport....but freaking golf? It's a great game, but it teaches the average football player nothing.

It is about a re-set of the mind, the attitude, the focus when you meet with times of great adversity and pushing through all of that to win. It is applicable in any sport.
Go Hogs Go!

greenie

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 25, 2017, 09:55:40 am

A lesson for the ages^^^

FANONTHEHILL

July 26, 2017, 07:40:57 am #16 Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:56:25 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: twistitup on July 26, 2017, 05:19:32 am
How many players on our team sat around watching the British open? How many have heard of Speith? How many can relate to what he overcame to win the British Open? How many players on our team have every stepped foot on a golf course?

It's hard to learn lessons from situations we can't relate to.

The players are a lot more tuned in to things than you give them credit for.  Whether or not they play golf, they understand competition and competing at the highest level.  That crosses over to all sports.  Something those of us who have never experienced it, never could. The letter was a nice touch by coach.  I know my son appreciated it and so did the members of his position group.  I haven't talked to any of the other guys since it went out.  It really doesn't matter that it refers to a golfer.  The point is made.  If you live in the past you're done.  All offseason people have complained on these boards about the lack of mental toughness and overcoming adversity.  This addresses exactly that.  I haven't seen my son's letter.  I have no business seeing it.  His relationship with Coach Bielema and his teammates is a private matter between them.  No matter who we are, or who we think we are, we're not the Razorbacks, they are.  So we have no place the question the validity or context of a letter from the leader of the program to his team.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

The NewEra

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 26, 2017, 07:40:57 am
The players are a lot more tuned in to things than you give them credit for.  Whether or not they play golf, they understand competition and competing at the highest level.  That crosses over to all sports.  Something those of us who have never experienced it, never could. The letter was a nice touch by coach.  I know my son appreciated it and so did the members of his position group.  I haven't talked to any of the other guys since it went out.  It really doesn't matter that it refers to a golfer.  The point is made.  If you live in the past you're done.  All offseason people have complained on these boards about the lack of mental toughness and overcoming adversity.  This addresses exactly that.  I haven't seen my son's letter.  I have no business seeing it.  His relationship with Coach Bielema and his teammates is a private matter between them.  No matter who we are, or who we think we are, we're not the Razorbacks they are.  So we have no place the question the validity or context of a letter from the leader of the program to his team.

A big thumbs up to this post.  By the way, I saw the picture Coach Anderson sent out on twitter last night when he had the group over to his house for a pool party.  I couldn't help but ask myself which one of those young men was your son.

FANONTHEHILL

The goofsball in the blue shirt between Rogers and Froholdt is mine.  Not sure what the goofy smile is about.  He says that there was a large volume of BBQ consumed.  They were back at it this morning.  Up at 5 and workouts at 6.  Meetings all day with position groups, team at 7, and hit the field tomorrow.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 26, 2017, 01:00:13 pm
He didn't say it was in the letter, did you read the linked article?

Oh you know, you are right. Bielema, though he mentioned it in the article, didn't actually say that he mentioned Spieth in his letter. I just assumed from the way he stated his reference in the article, that he had mentioned Spieth and what happened to him and how he responded, in his letter to his players.

Bielema equated the Razorbacks' efforts to bounce back from a 7-6 season, which ended with scoreless second halves in losses at Missouri and to Virginia Tech in the Belk Bowl, to that of PGA golfer Jordan Spieth.

"I see Jordan Spieth go through what he went through yesterday [Sunday], and I'm not saying there's a great correlation between golf and football," Bielema said. "But the mentality of the game. Just because you've been in a situation doesn't mean you have to be defined by it. You can change the answer at any time and I think our guys are eager."
Go Hogs Go!

BornaHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 26, 2017, 01:00:13 pm
He didn't say it was in the letter, did you read the linked article?
I just listened to the interview and he talks about writing the letter. He then talks about other things and then talks about Speith and at no point does he say he put anything about him in the letter. Just might be another case of Hogville quoting!
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

colbs

July 26, 2017, 01:13:39 pm #21 Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:25:32 pm by colbs
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 26, 2017, 01:08:51 pm
Oh you know, you are right. Bielema, though he mentioned it in the article, didn't actually say that he mentioned Spieth in his letter. I just assumed from the way he stated his reference in the article, that he had mentioned Spieth and what happened to him and how he responded, in his letter to his players.

Bielema equated the Razorbacks' efforts to bounce back from a 7-6 season, which ended with scoreless second halves in losses at Missouri and to Virginia Tech in the Belk Bowl, to that of PGA golfer Jordan Spieth.

"I see Jordan Spieth go through what he went through yesterday [Sunday], and I'm not saying there's a great correlation between golf and football," Bielema said. "But the mentality of the game. Just because you've been in a situation doesn't mean you have to be defined by it. You can change the answer at any time and I think our guys are eager."

Right.  Also, he sent the letter to the players on Friday and Jordan didn't win The Open Championship until Sunday.  I probably wouldn't have noticed but I had watched the clip before reading the article. 

gchamblee

Another thing, I was typing that I am sure that CBB knows how to motivate his team and regardless of how we view it he is good at this and knows what he is doing. Then, I had to step back and ask myself what evidence there is of this, and I couldn't come up with any. Regardless, I still have faith in the man and I am confident that he is doing what needs to be done to prepare us for the season.

The NewEra

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 26, 2017, 09:53:57 am
The goofsball in the blue shirt between Rogers and Froholdt is mine.  Not sure what the goofy smile is about.  He says that there was a large volume of BBQ consumed.  They were back at it this morning.  Up at 5 and workouts at 6.  Meetings all day with position groups, team at 7, and hit the field tomorrow.

Good looking young man.  Thanks for pointing him out.

MS_HogFan

Hey Fan could you give me everyone's name. Thanks. 
Hard to recognize all of them without their jerseys on.
SOOIE

Hawgndaaz

My god the Dutch kid has gotten massive.

Biggus Piggus

If you bitch about this, you have identified yourself as a complete idiot who has no sense of perspective and deserves to be castrated (if it's hasn't already happened).
[CENSORED]!

sickboy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 27, 2017, 04:18:40 pm
If you bitch about this, you have identified yourself as a complete idiot who has no sense of perspective and deserves to be castrated (if it's hasn't already happened).

That post just escalated with every word. I like it.

gchamblee

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 27, 2017, 04:18:40 pm

FANONTHEHILL

There are a couple guys that are new and I'm sorry I don't know their names. But here is who is know for sure.

Front row Left to Right:
Colton Jackson, Tyler Hall, New Guy in Never Yield Shirt (sorry),  Hjalte Froholdt, Frank Ragnow
Row 2: Coach Anderson, Kirby Adcock, Zac Rogers,  Jake Raulerson, Jackson Hannah
Row 3: Shane Clenin, Ty Clary, Cooper Sone, Jalen Merrick
Row 4: Johnny Gibson, Jake Heinrich, Brian Wallace
Row 5: Daylton Wagner, New GA (sorry)
Top:  The Legendary GA, Brey Cook

The rows aren't that easy to determine, but this should help.

factchecker

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2017, 05:02:46 pm
There are a couple guys that are new and I'm sorry I don't know their names. But here is who is know for sure.

Front row Left to Right:
Colton Jackson, Tyler Hall, New Guy in Never Yield Shirt (sorry),  Hjalte Froholdt, Frank Ragnow
Row 2: Coach Anderson, Kirby Adcock, Zac Rogers,  Jake Raulerson, Jackson Hannah

New guy between Hall and Froholdt is freshman walk-on Audy Horn.

I think the guy next to Wagner is John Roberts but I'm not sure.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: factchecker on July 27, 2017, 05:07:51 pm
New guy between Hall and Froholdt is freshman walk-on Audy Horn.

I think the guy next to Wagner is John Roberts but I'm not sure.

Thanks Fact, Cooper had mentioned Audrey Horn from Benton.  I should have checked the roster before I posted!

bennyl08

Front row Left to Right:

21 guys in the picture, but only 20 names here. Is that Paul Ramirez on Row 4 next to Brian Wallace?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MS_HogFan

Front row Left to Right:

Thanks man.
SOOIE

MS_HogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 27, 2017, 06:24:36 pm
21 guys in the picture, but only 20 names here. Is that Paul Ramirez on Row 4 next to Brian Wallace?

I think it is
SOOIE

HF#1

Nice coaching fodder from Bielema. While I think Speith is more talented at his sport than the majority of our players are at their sport, this could inspire some to play better.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HF#1 on July 28, 2017, 04:25:23 pm
Nice coaching fodder from Bielema. While I think Speith is more talented at his sport than the majority of our players are at their sport, this could inspire some to play better.
Huh....the talent may be greater overall from Speith; however, at the end of the day the intent is the same-be more mentally tough and find a way to reach inside you when things aren't going well and live with a fierce determination to be the best you can be.