Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TCU poised to surprise this season...

Started by Al Boarland, July 18, 2017, 02:05:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

What?!?!?!?! All of hogville has been telling me to mark this down as a for sure win. Just like Texas Tech, Toledo and Missouri!!!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PorkRinds

Quote from: rhames on July 18, 2017, 02:08:17 pm
What?!?!?!?! All of hogville has been telling me to mark this down as a for sure win. Just like Texas Tech, Toledo and Missouri!!!

I call bull darn.

hobhog

If you are comparing TCU program to those schools then you have been under a rock for last decade......

jabberjawls

Quote from: hobhog on July 18, 2017, 02:09:48 pm
If you are comparing TCU program to those schools then you have been under a rock for last decade......
Did they have a winning record last year?????

rhames

I was kidding.....

But there are a lot of posters here who are writing off TCU as a easy win.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Ive been seeing the opposite. People have called it a momentum setting game.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

gchamblee

Quote from: rhames on July 18, 2017, 02:11:26 pm
I was kidding.....

I literally have not seen a single poster claim this is an easy win. If someone has, they need to be recalibrated.

GuvHog

I was kidding.....

It won't be an easy win for the Hogs but I am predicting a win. The good news is since the FAMU game is on Thursday night, the Hogs will have an extra couple of days to get ready for TCU and the TCU game is in DWRRS. TCU won't have that luxury as they have to play that Saturday.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawgon

Sed76

Took a bone headed Kenny Trill penalty and a blocked field goal or we would have had the first big choke job of the season after getting a nice lead. Don't know how anyone could think this is just going to be a easy win.

GuvHog

Quote from: Sed76 on July 18, 2017, 03:08:08 pm
Took a bone headed Kenny Trill penalty and a blocked field goal or we would have had the first big choke job of the season after getting a nice lead. Don't know how anyone could think this is just going to be a easy win.

Last year the offense had to carry the defense in a lot of games and that didn't work too well. The Offense won't have to do that this year. It won't be an easy win.

FraggleHog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 18, 2017, 03:13:19 pm
Last year the offense had to carry the defense in a lot of games and that didn't work too well. The Offense won't have to do that this year. It won't be an easy win.

I don't think anyone with a rational mind (I know this site lacks those types) is writing off this game as a gimme...
Calling the Hogs from DFW

farfromgroovins

Hogs win by a throat slash and a half

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 18, 2017, 02:05:35 pm
Not a game to sleep on.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/picking-big-12-dark-horses-texas-and-tcu-are-poised-to-surprise-this-season/

I'm not sure why CBS thinks it is a surprise? If their QB can play more consistently, they might challenge for the Big 12 Championship.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 18, 2017, 03:17:54 pm
No one is...

Very well said. My guess is as the last seconds tick off of the clock in WMS at the end of the FAMU game, the Hog players and coaches will already be concentrating on TCU and the Horned Frogs will have the Hogs full attention from that point on.

FraggleHog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 18, 2017, 03:29:40 pm
Very well said. My guess is as the last seconds tick off of the clock in WMS at the end of the FAMU game, the Hog players and coaches will already be concentrating on TCU and the Horned Frogs will have the Hogs full attention from that point on.

Agreed. I just hope they aren't concentrating on TCU until after those last few seconds tick off the clock in LR's Old Gray Lady.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

AirWarren

Listening to hogville call games locks is comical at best.

GuvHog

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 18, 2017, 03:35:14 pm
Agreed. I just hope they aren't concentrating on TCU until after those last few seconds tick off the clock in LR's Old Gray Lady.

They won't be doing that until they have the FAMU game well in hand late in the game and the backups are playing.

HamSammich

TCU has two of the best coaches in the country as they just added dykes whose offense will test us. They have the best young coach in the country in cumble in my opinion.

TCU returns the most production on both sides of the ball in p5 meaning they lost a bunch of kids that didn't contribute a lot.

And the prima Donna jerk face named Kenny hill will undoubtedly be a lot better this year.

This team is better than TAMU and both Mississip schools. We shouldn't kid ourselves.

GuvHog

Quote from: HamSammich on July 18, 2017, 04:41:40 pm
TCU has two of the best coaches in the country as they just added dykes whose offense will test us. They have the best young coach in the country in cumble in my opinion.

TCU returns the most production on both sides of the ball in p5 meaning they lost a bunch of kids that didn't contribute a lot.

And the prima Donna jerk face named Kenny hill will undoubtedly be a lot better this year.

This team is better than TAMU and both Mississip schools. We shouldn't kid ourselves.

If Dykes is so good then why did he get fired from his last Head Coaching job a few years back??

razorbackfaninar

Not a game to sleep on.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/picking-big-12-dark-horses-texas-and-tcu-are-poised-to-surprise-this-season/

Part of the reasoning given in the article is that TCU has been recruiting so well the last 5 years.  Last 5 years:  39th, 43rd, 39th, 21st , 28th.  Sometimes people don't think when they write things.  I hear from pundits and fans alike that Arkansas doesn't recruit well enough.  So we see TCU get praised for their recruiting but last 5 years at AR:  23rd, 29th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th. 

Inhogswetrust

Not many. The realistic ones know it will be dogfight.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Porkchop#1

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on July 18, 2017, 05:13:36 pm
Part of the reasoning given in the article is that TCU has been recruiting so well the last 5 years.  Last 5 years:  39th, 43rd, 39th, 21st , 28th.  Sometimes people don't think when they write things.  I hear from pundits and fans alike that Arkansas doesn't recruit well enough.  So we see TCU get praised for their recruiting but last 5 years at AR:  23rd, 29th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th.
Somehow it is just different for us...why.. we's just lil' ole Arkiesaw.

presidenthog

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on July 18, 2017, 05:20:39 pm
Somehow it is just different for us...why.. we's just lil' ole Arkiesaw.

It's because those #s for tcu are like 4th in the conference in the big12.

That would be last in the West and like 11th-13th in the sec. 

HiggiePiggy

Where does TCU rank in their conference in recruiting? 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on July 18, 2017, 04:41:40 pm

What a contradictory post you just made.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

daBoar

Not a game to sleep on.

I think you're right. I'm going to tape the first half while I work out on a stairmaster at the gym.......and then I'll check out the second half to see if we can keep our lead.

oldgoat

Not an easy win, but it will still be a win for five reasons: 1. They will not surprise us;  2. Our offense will be similar to last year;  3. Our defense will be MUCH improved, if in attitude only;  4. We will be at home;  5. My youngest son Jay will be a freshman there for his first game as a UA student and he is the luckiest kid I've ever known.
Hoglady: "Some things in life are only a big deal when you make them a big deal."

Großer Kriegschwein

Biggest question marks for us replicating last season's offensive production.

1) Tight End (O'Grady?)

2) Possession Receiever/Morgan & Hatcher (Pettway/ Stewart)

3) Tackle (Colton Jackson/Brian Wallace)

4) Running Back 1 (Devwah)

Typically how people think we will do this season depends on how they feel about the replacements.

This is my non-signature signature.

Nosboar Accubond

I like how the only reason we won was their mistake... we had a truck load of our own. We also made some big time plays too. All part of the game on both sides. We can beat them again.

King Kong

In the Big 12 that is great recruiting

factchecker

Quote from: gchamblee on July 18, 2017, 03:02:17 pm
I literally have not seen a single poster claim this is an easy win. If someone has, they need to be recalibrated.

Same here.  I've read more people saying we are going to get stomped while claiming last years win as a loss.  We are the only fanbase that believes in moral losses.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

daBoar

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 18, 2017, 07:14:27 pm

Typically how people think we will do this season depends on how they feel about the replacements.
/quote]1) Tight End (O'Grady?) A better athlete. 

2) Possession Receiever/Morgan & Hatcher (Pettway/ Stewart)  Former guys were seasoned seniors who could get open and catch the ball.  New guys are faster.

3) Tackle (Colton Jackson/Brian Wallace)New guys are much better athletes; and while they don't have Skipper's playing experience, both have been around the program a while, and were highly rated coming out of HS.

4) Running Back 1 (Devwah) I'll miss RW3 as I loved his shiftiness, but the new guys are a faster pair.

In sum, we're replacing experience with speed and athleticism.  I think these replacements will be fine in 2017.

Personally, I worry about LB.

factchecker

TCU was predicted to win or at least finish runner up in the Big 12 last season by plenty of pre season publications.  Nobody took them lightly.  A good portion of our fans picked us to lose as well.  It was like a funeral for some of the realists when we won the game.  Sad day indeed.

I'd be glad to have another game that we "luck out" and win again this year. Moral losses don't bother me as long as the official record book shows a W.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: daBoar on July 18, 2017, 07:23:30 pm
Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 18, 2017, 07:14:27 pm

/quote]1) Tight End (O'Grady?) A better athlete. 

2) Possession Receiever/Morgan & Hatcher (Pettway/ Stewart)  Former guys were seasoned seniors who could get open and catch the ball.  New guys are faster.

3) Tackle (Colton Jackson/Brian Wallace)New guys are much better athletes; and while they don't have Skipper's playing experience, both have been around the program a while, and were highly rated coming out of HS.

4) Running Back 1 (Devwah) I'll miss RW3 as I loved his shiftiness, but the new guys are a faster pair.

In sum, we're replacing experience with speed and athleticism.  I think these replacements will be fine in 2017.

Personally, I worry about LB.

I forgot LB. been a long day.

I got Harris and Greenlaw. Maybe Roesler.

After that, I got nothin.

Kinda waiting on that to play itself out this fall. Didn't pay one iota of attention during spring ball.

Michael_E_Davis

If you look at my early game predictions,  I have the TCU game as a loss.   I know I am going to get flamed for this,  but who are we kidding? We should have lost the TCU game last year -  several times.  We were fortunate to win that game. I don't see us beating them this year. 
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on July 18, 2017, 07:55:52 pm
If you look at my early game predictions,  I have the TCU game as a loss.   I know I am going to get flamed for this,  but who are we kidding? We should have lost the TCU game last year -  several times.  We were fortunate to win that game. I don't see us beating them this year.

TCU made mistakes too. They were on the verge of getting blown out. Until our cellophane defense showed up.

MuskogeeHogFan

No, we should have beat them worse.

1st Drive, 1st Qtr   1st and 10 at TCU 22-Incomplete, 2 yd run, Incomplete, we settle for a FG.
Beginning of 2nd Qtr-1st and 10 at TCU 10 yard line, 3 yard run, 2 yard loss on run, Incompletion, we settle for another FG.
Beginning of 4th Qtr-1st and Goal at TCU 2 yard line, run for a 4 yard loss, run for 2 yards, Incomplete, FG attempt is no good.
Points left on the field:    11 to 15
Go Hogs Go!

razorbackfaninar

I'm happy to go on record with this game as a win.  The big 12 is a terrible conference. The media say TCU is going to be good every year. Last year the articles were all saying it was TCU and Oklahoma as the powerhouses of the conference and everybody else were also rans.  Oklahoma is the only good team in the conference. I think we will win this game handily. I think we have better talent overall and better coaches.

EastexHawg

The real bonehead play by Hill was scoring a TD instead of falling down on the one or two yard line after getting a first down.  We were out of timeouts and TCU could have taken a knee a couple of times and run out the clock.  The TD and conversion only made the margin 8 points and allowed us to score and take it to overtime.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Actually, you got lucky that the game was as close as it was. We were a team on fire late in the game and couldn't be stopped. We put our foot on their throat. Blocking a field goal with a nearly 7 foot player is not luck, it is quality use of personnel.

factchecker

Quote from: gchamblee on July 18, 2017, 10:38:52 pm
Blocking a field goal with a nearly 7 foot player is not luck, it is quality use of personnel.

There are fans who believe we were lucky to beat Mississippi State last season. A game that we won by 16.  A game where our offense couldn't be stopped was won because of "luck". These are the same fans who claimed we were lucky to beat Ole Miss in 2014 because they had a receiver injured.  30-0 because a receiver was injured.

The realists love to give moral victories and excuses to other teams but hate that "looser" mentality when it comes to the Hogs.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

Quote from: factchecker on July 18, 2017, 10:51:35 pm
There are fans who believe we were lucky to beat Mississippi State last season. A game that we won by 16.  A game where our offense couldn't be stopped was won because of "luck". These are the same fans who claimed we were lucky to beat Ole Miss in 2014 because they had a receiver injured.  30-0 because a receiver was injured.

The realists love to give moral victories and excuses to other teams but hate that "looser" mentality when it comes to the Hogs.

They say wins are all that matter when discussing CBP, but when it comes to CBB they credit him for losses where we won the games, sometimes convincingly.

jkstock04

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on July 18, 2017, 08:27:55 pm
I'm happy to go on record with this game as a win.  The big 12 is a terrible conference. The media say TCU is going to be good every year. Last year the articles were all saying it was TCU and Oklahoma as the powerhouses of the conference and everybody else were also rans.  Oklahoma is the only good team in the conference. I think we will win this game handily. I think we have better talent overall and better coaches.
If I'm not mistaken I believe they were ranked #15 when we played them last year. They for sure had some hype...looks like same this year.

I'm thinking A&M game looms bigger than this one but it would sting awful bad if the Horned Frogs were able to steal the game here in Fayetteville. Something tells me they will give us their best shot and I'm pretty sure they will be the favorite...but this is a game we really need to win if we want to get to 8 (or more) regular season games.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HamSammich

Quote from: GuvHog on July 18, 2017, 05:09:26 pm
If Dykes is so good then why did he get fired from his last Head Coaching job a few years back??

Pretty much how our awesome offensive coordinator was going to be fired but left first. Some folk are better offensive coordinators.....

But that doesn't fit those rose colored glasses narrative huh?

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 18, 2017, 08:14:35 pm
No, we should have beat them worse.

1st Drive, 1st Qtr   1st and 10 at TCU 22-Incomplete, 2 yd run, Incomplete, we settle for a FG.
Beginning of 2nd Qtr-1st and 10 at TCU 10 yard line, 3 yard run, 2 yard loss on run, Incompletion, we settle for another FG.
Beginning of 4th Qtr-1st and Goal at TCU 2 yard line, run for a 4 yard loss, run for 2 yards, Incomplete, FG attempt is no good.
Points left on the field:    11 to 15

I suppose you are right.  I thought, in the first half,  we were going to blow them out.  I guess you could turn it around and say TCU got lucky to get back in it.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown