Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illinois fires coach

Started by Hawghiggs, March 05, 2016, 12:00:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 06, 2016, 07:47:28 am
Big time hire? You've got to be kidding. Head coach for 11 years and ONLY two games above .500 in the pros as a head coach................Oh yes that's a dazzling record...................How that adds up to a big, big get is laughable.

Take away his first season with Chicago and 1st season with Tampa, both lower talent transition years, and he averaged over 10 wins a season.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 06, 2016, 02:27:24 pm
Take away his first season with Chicago and 1st season with Tampa, both lower talent transition years, and he averaged over 10 wins a season.

So he is just unlucky that a "great hire" coach keeps getting fired.

10 wins in the North is no great accomplishment. Usually there is only one team (GB). And don't under estimate his stubbornness. This new AD fired the coach on his first day, I'm not sure he has the personality to suffer a stubborn coach.

Even with a top notch recruiter - winning isn't happening for this team for several years.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 06, 2016, 01:47:07 pm
Don't look now but your ignorance is showing. Lovie walked into the Bears with a ready made defense. He couldn't field an offense to save his life. He was fired. He went to Tampa and was fired again.

So stop rolling on the floor laughing and explain why you think he is a great coach?

I was being ironic with your  laughable statement.

I do believe this is a big hire for that weak program though.
I've already explained the reasons.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hobhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 06, 2016, 01:47:07 pm
Don't look now but your ignorance is showing. Lovie walked into the Bears with a ready made defense. He couldn't field an offense to save his life. He was fired. He went to Tampa and was fired again.

So stop rolling on the floor laughing and explain why you think he is a great coach?

There are LOTS of coaches that failed in the NFL and became great college coaches. The NFL reputation and history of Illinios football should tell anyone this was a great hire...

ALLVOL

Bad coaches don't take teams to the Superbowl.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 06, 2016, 03:16:09 pm
So he is just unlucky that a "great hire" coach keeps getting fired.

10 wins in the North is no great accomplishment. Usually there is only one team (GB). And don't under estimate his stubbornness. This new AD fired the coach on his first day, I'm not sure he has the personality to suffer a stubborn coach.

Even with a top notch recruiter - winning isn't happening for this team for several years.

We won his division 3 times, went to a Super Bowl, and was fired after a 10 - 6 season, something the Bears haven't seen since, and improved by 4 wins in his 2nd season at TB, yet got fired.

If this were Michigan, USCw, Alabama, etc., it would be an average hire.

At Illinois it's a grand slam.

The Bears have won their division 5 times in the last 25 years.  Lovie has 3 of them.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 06, 2016, 04:56:06 pm
We won his division 3 times, went to a Super Bowl, and was fired after a 10 - 6 season, something the Bears haven't seen since, and improved by 4 wins in his 2nd season at TB, yet got fired.

If this were Michigan, USCw, Alabama, etc., it would be an average hire.

At Illinois it's a grand slam.

The Bears have won their division 5 times in the last 25 years.  Lovie has 3 of them.

Yep because winning the North and the South is so difficult to do. And if he is so good then why does he keep getting fired? This is the guy who thought Grossman was the answer.

What was his record the last time he was a college head coach? Where did his recruiting classes rank? Regardless of the school who hires him - he is an unknown at best.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 06, 2016, 05:01:58 pm
Yep because winning the North and the South is so difficult to do. And if he is so good then why does he keep getting fired? This is the guy who thought Grossman was the answer.

What was his record the last time he was a college head coach? Where did his recruiting classes rank? Regardless of the school who hires him - he is an unknown at best.

You're right.
Al Groh is who they should have hired.

He'd have brought more excitement to recruits, fans, and alums.
AND, he's a proven commodity.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 06, 2016, 05:41:47 pm
You're right.
Al Groh is who they should have hired.

He'd have brought more excitement to recruits, fans, and alums.
AND, he's a proven commodity.

Groh? I see you are running out of ways to make Lovie the "grand slam" hire.  ;D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 06, 2016, 04:21:13 pm
I was being ironic with your  laughable statement.

I do believe this is a big hire for that weak program though.
I've already explained the reasons.

Dude you were replying to someone else not me. Try keeping up - I'm not that intelligent. So it shouldn't be too hard to keep up.  ;)

hogcard1964

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on March 06, 2016, 02:10:49 pm
Lovie does not seem like the type of person that would want to recruit. he wasn't a good NFL coach anyways

Illinois' not going to hire him.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:

hogcard1964

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:

Cure

In what world is Lovie Smith a bad coach?
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Cure on March 06, 2016, 06:30:33 pm

He is not a bad coach, but he isn't a grand slam either. He is an ok coach that is a very nice guy.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 06, 2016, 05:01:58 pm

I can't explain why Chicago fires a 10-win coach.  I guess was to hire the Canadian QB whisper who turned out dreadful.

Tampa Bay?  3 coaches in 5 years.  Sometimes ownership can get out of their own way.

By the way, many of your questions were said when USCw hired Pete Carroll (Lovie is no Pete Carroll, Illinois is no USCw).

Lovie Smith just cannot be a decent coach.  We know this because we had a similar situation where we needed a HC after signing day and during the off season, but had to settle for John L. because we couldn't find a coach during this time period.  Decent coaches are just not hireable during this timeframe.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: hobhog on March 06, 2016, 04:47:15 pm
There are LOTS of coaches that failed in the NFL and became great college coaches. The NFL reputation and history of Illinios football should tell anyone this was a great hire...

Agree. Heck...WE had one. Granted, Lou's sample size in the NFL was small (one season), but how much better would that have been in 5 seasons? So, awful NFL coach, great college coach.

As for Lovie, I have no idea what he did before his time in the League. Still, if I were an Illini, I'd be pretty excited.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 06, 2016, 07:26:22 pm
I can't explain why Chicago fires a 10-win coach.  I guess was to hire the Canadian QB whisper who turned out dreadful.

Tampa Bay?  3 coaches in 5 years.  Sometimes ownership can get out of their own way.

By the way, many of your questions were said when USCw hired Pete Carroll (Lovie is no Pete Carroll, Illinois is no USCw).

They fired Lovie because he would not adapt and the defense was getting old. Which meant their window of opportunity for a championship was closing. Yep they blew it with Tressman and that group is no longer here.

Chicagoans were ready for that 10 win coach to leave. When you see him day in and day out Lovie is just not that good.

And that 10 win coach didn't get his team into the playoffs that year.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 06, 2016, 09:14:28 pm
They fired Lovie because he would not adapt and the defense was getting old. Which meant their window of opportunity for a championship was closing. Yep they blew it with Tressman and that group is no longer here.

Chicagoans were ready for that 10 win coach to leave. When you see him day in and day out Lovie is just not that good.

And that 10 win coach didn't get his team into the playoffs that year.

I'm a lifelong Bears fan, starting in about '83.  It's been lean times since Ditka left.  Lovie gave me hope.  I was feeling like it was probably over too, but didn't feel like a change should be made after his last 10-win season.

I also felt like personnel moves have been questionable the last 7 or 8 years.  Changing coaches doesn't fix that.  Angelo dismantled the Bears in 2007 and Emery was a disaster.  Too early to tell with Pace.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 05, 2016, 12:29:58 pm

Hey, you very well may have THE SOLUTION to Illinois' current problem. The Hooter is alive, well and waiting in the wings to resurrect yet another big time program. Someone get that man on the phone, pronto.....

Yep, Hootie is always waiting for that call ! Evidently his phone hasn't been tied up too much with coaching offers.  :)  Makes you wonder if Sexton has given up on finding him another coaching job. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 06, 2016, 11:21:12 pm
I'm a lifelong Bears fan, starting in about '83.  It's been lean times since Ditka left.  Lovie gave me hope.  I was feeling like it was probably over too, but didn't feel like a change should be made after his last 10-win season.

I also felt like personnel moves have been questionable the last 7 or 8 years.  Changing coaches doesn't fix that.  Angelo dismantled the Bears in 2007 and Emery was a disaster.  Too early to tell with Pace.

I'm with you on the general manager moves as well. If Illini do choose Lovie I hope he does well, but that program is a disaster. I heard something yesterday that the hire was contingent on him being able to hire his son. Not sure if that is true are not.

Heck I didn't know he had a son who was a coach.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 06, 2016, 11:55:50 pm
Yep, Hootie is always waiting for that call ! Evidently his phone hasn't been tied up too much with coaching offers.  :)  Makes you wonder if Sexton has given up on finding him another coaching job.

He actually wouldn't be a bad coach for them. Their program is bad and his rah rah can fire up the players. And the fan base hasn't seen good football in so long that no one will question his smoke draw plays.  ;D

Doug

Quote from: hogcard1964Illinois' not going to hire him.
Every time you exert energy from your brain to your fingers, you have been proven wrong. Every. Single. Time.

https://twitter.com/IlliniAD/status/706829914956177408
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hobhog on March 06, 2016, 04:47:15 pm

And college coaches that failed in the NFL, and a few college coaches that succeeded in the NFL. Being a college coach is a different job than being an NFL coach. Only a few parts of the jobs are the same. The differences can only be overcome by certain ones. Maybe Lovie is one of those. I'd never bet on that for any NFL coach though that has never coached in college.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TX HOG

I know Illinois is far from east Texas, but lovie is highly respected in east Texas.

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cure on March 06, 2016, 06:30:33 pm

In the same one where people think he is a great coach.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TX HOG on March 07, 2016, 07:51:47 am
I know Illinois is far from east Texas, but lovie is highly respected in east Texas.

As he should be. Everything I've read says he is a great guy.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 07, 2016, 04:57:00 am
I'm with you on the general manager moves as well. If Illini do choose Lovie I hope he does well, but that program is a disaster. I heard something yesterday that the hire was contingent on him being able to hire his son. Not sure if that is true are not.

Heck I didn't know he had a son who was a coach.

I think his son became a DB coach at Tampa.

No matter the situation, it's always bad to have a son as a coach on the team.

Doug

Quote from: hog.goblinI think his son became a DB coach at Tampa.

No matter the situation, it's always bad to have a son as a coach on the team.
Steve Spurrier, Joe Paterno, didn't Petrino also hire his son... and Hootie, too? I know there's more than a handful of coaches that have brought their kids onto staffs.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

k.c.hawg

I will tell you why this is a home run hire for Illinois. Tell me any coach they have had in the last 25 years that could be whispered in the same breath as Lovie Smith? Name me another coach that would even consider going to that dumpster fire that is half as qualified.

The biggest reason is Lovie Smith is joined at the hip with Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards. Those 3 guys are 3 of the 4 most recognizable African American coaches in NFL history. Herm and Tony will be showing up at practices and talk him up every time they have an opportunity. Will he be good at Illinois which has traditionally sucked,  maybe not but I wouldn't be surprised if they start landing their best classes ever.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Doug

For those that are saying this isn't a homerun hire... ponder this.

When you, as an Athletics Director, can drown out the news of an NFL QB retiring by hiring a CFB Coach, who was fired from an NFL team... you've gone BIG time with publicity for your school.
--Doug

Wisco Pig

Illinois has been one of the most consistently mismanaged programs in major college football for a long time.   Hell, Northwestern puts together more competitive teams, and neither Wisconsin nor Iowa has natural recruiting advantages over Illinois.  I'm not convinced that Smith is the answer, but I agree he'll at least bring a buzz to the program that it hasn't had for a long while.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wisco Pig on March 07, 2016, 09:03:08 am
Illinois has been one of the most consistently mismanaged programs in major college football for a long time.   Hell, Northwestern puts together more competitive teams, and neither Wisconsin nor Iowa has natural recruiting advantages over Illinois.  I'm not convinced that Smith is the answer, but I agree he'll at least bring a buzz to the program that it hasn't had for a long while.

You won't remember Smith in 5 years.

As a ardent fan of the SEC as well as someone that detests the Little 14, I approve of this hiring.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hog.goblin on March 06, 2016, 04:56:06 pm

they're both afraid they'll lose the hard earned "Lovable Loser" reputation.... actually they have both been mismanaged organizations for decades...

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Doug on March 07, 2016, 07:22:13 am
Every time you exert energy from your brain to your fingers, you have been proven wrong. Every. Single. Time.

https://twitter.com/IlliniAD/status/706829914956177408

Ha Ha Ha!!! Very nice!

bp

Ex-Trumpet

Lovie Smith was a huge hire.  Most on here (excepting all those that knew we were hiring Gruden) would have been drooling a few years ago when we got Smiley.

Anyone judging Lovie by his NFL record needs to go back and look at Nick Saban's record in the NFL.  Or Steve Spurrier's.  Heck, even Lou Holtz'.  Not saying Lovie will have Saban-esque results, but to judge him base on his NFL record?  Please...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ALLVOL on March 06, 2016, 04:54:54 pm
Bad coaches don't take teams to the Superbowl.

I'll agree that not bad hasn't BUT they don't have to be great either.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on March 07, 2016, 08:58:06 am
For those that are saying this isn't a homerun hire... ponder this.

When you, as an Athletics Director, can drown out the news of an NFL QB retiring by hiring a CFB Coach, who was fired from an NFL team... you've gone BIG time with publicity for your school.

Big time publicity does not always equate to being a big time hire or even big time news longterm. A home run hire is related to time. It is only a home run IF they are successful over several years after getting the job. Everyone also expected Payton's retirement today and has been for several weeks, so it wast exactly "breaking" news as much as the hiring was. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on March 07, 2016, 10:15:33 am
they're both afraid they'll lose the hard earned "Lovable Loser" reputation.... actually they have both been mismanaged organizations for decades...

So getting fired after those happened should send up a red flag and open up questions as to why they happened to the same guy. He might be a great hire BUT those two events makes me pause before declaring it as such.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 07, 2016, 10:24:10 am
Lovie Smith was a huge hire.  Most on here (excepting all those that knew we were hiring Gruden) would have been drooling a few years ago when we got Smiley.

Anyone judging Lovie by his NFL record needs to go back and look at Nick Saban's record in the NFL.  Or Steve Spurrier's.  Heck, even Lou Holtz'.  Not saying Lovie will have Saban-esque results, but to judge him base on his NFL record?  Please...

ALL of those other coaches you mentioned had already proven themselves as good college coaches BEFORE going to the pros. Smith has never been a college coach. The pro and college jobs do have differences.   

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wisco Pig on March 07, 2016, 09:03:08 am

Absolutely agree on all of that. Lovie may or may not be able to do well as a college coach but he does bring some name recognition and thus the buzz that they needed.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 07, 2016, 10:24:10 am
Lovie Smith was a huge hire. 

He's been hired and fired at least a dozen times and it's never been huge from any perspective.  It's certainly not at Illinois.

GolfnHog

From a PR, Marketing and time of the year hire, it's big. Unlike many on this board, his name and experience as a HC will get him into any house he wants for a recruiting visit. As was mentioned in an earlier post, his connections to HC's that are African Americans past and present will bode well for him and give him credibility in recruiting kids that have talent to consider the mess called the Illini.

How successful he will be as an  X's & O's coach and hiring assistants is still in the jury room for a final verdict.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Doug

Quote from: hogcard1964He's been hired and fired at least a dozen times and it's never been huge from any perspective.  It's certainly not at Illinois.
Just stop. You have been consistently proven to be not just wrong, but "holy sh*t, where the h*ll did that come from?" wrong.
--Doug

DeltaBoy

Major hire and they will be better with Lovie. He a solid man and Coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Doug on March 07, 2016, 11:22:45 am
Just stop. You have been consistently proven to be not just wrong, but "holy sh*t, where the h*ll did that come from?" wrong.

Not following, but ok.  Lovie's huuuuuge.