UNC laying an egg vs MSU

Started by hawgball40, November 26, 2017, 08:33:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgball40

Bacon_Bitz

RaisinHog

Yea freaking sucks getting hammered

RazorSax

Kind of entertaining watching UNC play another blue blood and not get every ticky tack foul or call go their way. With the game called consistently, it has taken them completely out of their game. UNC was not 19 points better than us, we just weren't the championship match up they wanted for this early season tournament.

On the negative side, it will stink if this holds up and MSU handles them easily. Our loss will look a little bit worse, but I think I will survive watching them get beat, if that does happen.

I honestly feel UNC played to their potential against us and we played by far our worst game in the early season. We will be fine.

RazorSax

The refs were not going to let us play our scrappy game. They're letting MSU play scrappy, and what happens? Ugh.

RaisinHog

I think we just wanted it too bad

Cmheinley

If they had shot this way when we played them we would have won handily. They're shooting 27% FG and 9% 3s. They shot right at 50% on both when we played them. That's our luck though. Was nice seeing what our team can do when firing on all cylinders today though.

RazorSax

I'm sure they will match us up with them come March Madness.

hawgball40

the refs decide who wins the game, and they take orders from vegas.

JHicks3636

Maybe we should have slowed the game down as MSU did. Sometimes you have to adjust your game to the opponent.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on November 26, 2017, 09:24:02 pm
Maybe we should have slowed the game down as MSU did. Sometimes you have to adjust your game to the opponent.
did you even watch the game? That's the reason we lost, we got into a half court offense and didn't move the ball well
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

rtr

UNC will be contending come tournament time, so will Michigan State.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

RazorSax

I wish we could have got a shot against MSU, just to see how we stack up. Don't get many chances against teams like this before it's single elimination.

HawgsPolo

Hogs sure could've used some of those missed layups and 3's Friday. UNC shot terrible
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

hawgball40

Quote from: RazorSax on November 26, 2017, 09:44:16 pm
I wish we could have got a shot against MSU, just to see how we stack up. Don't get many chances against teams like this before it's single elimination.
Yep. hopefully we can attract a home and home with a major opponent.

JONAS

Quote from: rtr on November 26, 2017, 09:40:59 pm
UNC will be contending come tournament time, so will Michigan State.

Michigan State sure looked good.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein
8h8 hours ago

How good was Michigan State defensively tonight against North Carolina? Tar Heels finished with the lowest FG percentage in program history.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Fan701

Quote from: jbcarol on November 27, 2017, 05:50:59 am
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein
8h8 hours ago

How good was Michigan State defensively tonight against North Carolina? Tar Heels finished with the lowest FG percentage in program history.
But UNC was missing the same shots they were making against us.  Luke Maye couldn't miss against us but was missing wide open shots against them.  These things happen.

BRHogfan

They were 1-9 or something on their first shots against us.

bigred223

bigred223

razorbackfan4life

UNC played great against us, couple that with the fact they got all the calls, and our poor play(largely in part to their size) and you end up with a loss. 

We are good enough to beat them, just have to make a few adjustments if that were to happen again this year. 

hawg1221

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on November 26, 2017, 08:50:39 pm
Arkansas effect

I believe this to be true. Arkansas really makes the other team work hard. UNC played fantastic defense against us and that takes a lot of effort.

hawgball40

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 27, 2017, 08:06:22 am
I believe this to be true. Arkansas really makes the other team work hard. UNC played fantastic defense against us and that takes a lot of effort.
Well, roy did mention in his post game presser that he played his star players too many minutes. so i checked the boxscore and 4 of their starters played 34 or 35 minutes. Maybe there is some truth to this.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: RaisinHog on November 26, 2017, 08:59:12 pm
I think we just wanted it too bad

I believe this was a large part of it.  Seems like everyone associated with the team (including media) has been talking about how we "should have" beaten UNC last March . . . I understand why they feel that way, but I also think we've been thinking about it too much . . . kind of like the Texas obsession we used to have back in the SWC days.  There were many years that we SHOULD have beaten Texas, but we'd hyperventilate when the game started and end of gifting it to them by default.  That pretty much looked - to me - like what happened against UNC Friday. 

First clue was when they asked Macon post-game Thursday if he was excited to get a rematch with them, and he said "no . . . it's just another game".  No one bought that even as he was saying it, and it showed on Friday.

cableguy

One of my biggest gripes with MA is his game management which is how long he sticks with a defense that is not working. Luke Maye is good but he shouldn't had been able to score 28 points. Maybe MA tried to make adjustments and the players just didn't do their job. Caliprari and Krzyzewski would have called time out and switch defenses. I know MA wants to wear down his opponents, but against top schools with deep benches this may not be the best strategy. I am not saying going to a match up zone would have worked, but we will never know. I love Mike and still think he's a top 3 coach in the SEC. He has brought Hogball back. 

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Cmheinley

When Maye and Berry are off they're not that impressive. If we clash with them again, and manage to contain one of them it's a very winnable game. Granted of course that we don't shoot 29% against them.

alohawg

Quote from: Cmheinley on December 20, 2017, 09:32:06 pm
When Maye and Berry are off they're not that impressive. If we clash with them again, and manage to contain one of them it's a very winnable game. Granted of course that we don't shoot 29% against them.

Or get fair refs.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: alohawg on December 20, 2017, 09:39:09 pm
Or get fair refs.
yeah I know nobody wants to hear it but the only two games in the last decade where we shot under 10 FT's were against UNC both times..numbers don't lie...it's just disheartening because you know it's coming