Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incorrect uniforms in TV/movies

Started by bob slydell, October 08, 2015, 02:37:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bob slydell

My wife absolutely refuses to watch anything with me that involves an Army uniform because I nitpick the entire show about what they get wrong (which is a lot). For example, I was watching Fear The Walking Dead and noticed that the Soldiers mostly had velcro rank patches on their head gear. Seems like an easy thing to NOT get wrong.

I guess my question would be: does this type of stuff bother anyone else or am I just being overly critical of unimportant details? I for one think that to be realistic, you should at least try to be realistic.

*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Ragnar Hogbrok

You have to remember:  about 90%of the US population has no idea what right looks like. They call us all "soldiers" regardless of which branch we serve. It probably costs money to hire a military uniform consultant and who wants to read AR-670-1 if you're not a sergeant major?

I see all the flaws myself, but I quit caring as much as I used to. My main concern now is servicemen and women not wearing their uniform properly, not Hollywood.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

kodiakisland

If I'm watching something like a History Channel docudrama and they get the uniform, vehicles, weapons, etc. wrong, then yeah it does bother me.  A show about zombies on the other hand I'm not too concerned with authenticity.  Some of the creations are actually pretty funny when it comes to dress uniforms.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

bob slydell

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 10, 2015, 05:09:07 pm
If I'm watching something like a History Channel docudrama and they get the uniform, vehicles, weapons, etc. wrong, then yeah it does bother me.  A show about zombies on the other hand I'm not too concerned with authenticity.  Some of the creations are actually pretty funny when it comes to dress uniforms.

Good point! Dress uniforms are the worst. I usually see several errors before I even get to the order of the ribbons.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Großer Kriegschwein

I try my best to ignore it. But at some point, when I see something absolutely unmistakably stupid I'll say something about it.

I should start a uniform consulting business after I retire.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boll Hawg

It bothers me as well.  I'll always point it out.  My wife just sighs and carries on. 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

DeltaBoy

Grandpa used to just mutter they don't know a damn thing !   I believe they even has issues getting it right on Jag.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CPL HOG

This crap bothers me more. Celebrities wearing them as part of an outfit

Squealers

Was watching a movie a few days ago, USAF member had name tags with their first and last names, I about had a full grown heifer cow.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

HogFansReunited

I love/hate watching military type movies because I always watch and see things that I know are not correct.  My wife hates when I sit and pick apart the most basic of things in movies.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

bob slydell

Oh and another thing.  M16/M4s ARE NOT FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Bob Slydell on January 30, 2020, 02:12:39 pm

Depends on the era.

Ragnar Hogbrok

M16A1s were full auto.  The latest M4s are full auto again.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The Chief on January 30, 2020, 05:54:46 pm
M16A1s were full auto.  The latest M4s are full auto again.

The M16 and M16A1s both were.

The A1 had a forward assist and the former didn't.

bob slydell

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 30, 2020, 09:07:16 pm
The M16 and M16A1s both were.

The A1 had a forward assist and the former didn't.

Wow.  Thanks gentlemen.  I guess I don't know as much as I thought.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Bob Slydell on February 01, 2020, 08:22:56 am
Wow.  Thanks gentlemen.  I guess I don't know as much as I thought.

Things change. Simple as that. Unless you handle them constantly, it's hard to track the changes.

Just a couple of years ago, we exclusively used the M-16A2 and M4 variant that both had three round burst instead of full auto.

Now they've determined that full auto with the M4 is the way to go.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The Chief on February 01, 2020, 10:41:54 pm
Things change. Simple as that. Unless you handle them constantly, it's hard to track the changes.

Just a couple of years ago, we exclusively used the M-16A2 and M4 variant that both had three round burst instead of full auto.

Now they've determined that full auto with the M4 is the way to go.

I've only used three round burst a handful of times when my machine Gunner was clearing a malfunction.

All the while saying "Oh chit, oh chit oh chit..... hurry up moron."

The M4 tends to climb quite a bit though. Fortunately I had a Harris Bipod and could hold it down.

kodiakisland

When I came in as 11B, we used the A1 for several years.  Full auto was a lot of fun at the range.  Not real practical, but man, talk about smoking several 30 round magazines as fast as you could.  I'm surprised any of those guns had any rifling left.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 03, 2020, 09:47:55 pm
When I came in as 11B, we used the A1 for several years.  Full auto was a lot of fun at the range.  Not real practical, but man, talk about smoking several 30 round magazines as fast as you could.  I'm surprised any of those guns had any rifling left.

You just stated the reason they got rid of it.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2020, 03:46:42 pm
You just stated the reason they got rid of it.

There were a lot of reasons to get rid of them.  Most were wore out and did not shoot well plus the twist rate was behind the times.  Fun guns though.  I wouldn't mind having one in the safe if I ever needed to burn through several thousand rounds of ammo in an afternoon.

Ragnar Hogbrok

The M16 was original used full auto for the designated squad automatic weapon gunner to increase fire power and cover the M60 gunner and AG when reloading. They'd simply designate those people in the squad to fire their M16 full auto.

The Squad Automatic Weapon, M249, relieved the M16 of this duty. Thus, three round burst.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The Chief on February 04, 2020, 09:50:37 pm
The M16 was original used full auto for the designated squad automatic weapon gunner to increase fire power and cover the M60 gunner and AG when reloading. They'd simply designate those people in the squad to fire their M16 full auto.

The Squad Automatic Weapon, M249, relieved the M16 of this duty. Thus, three round burst.

There were lots of reasons that the M16+variants at fully automatic are horrible at grazing fire. They can do it, but at a reduced effectiveness compared to the M249 LMG.

When I was a grunt in the Marine Corps every fire team had an M249 to use as a base of fire for maneuver and grazing fire. Dead space was covered by the fire team leader carrying his M16A2 with an M203. Rounding out the fire team was a simple rifleman with an M16A2 and an AG for the M249 carrying another M16A2 and a buttload of ammo.

Of course organizationally, medium and heavy machine guns is dramatically different between the Army and Marine Corps. In the Marine Corps, M240B/G teams are in the weapons platoon of an infantry company. Heavy machine guns, M2/Mk-19s are located in the Battalion weapons company. Being an 0331 is an awesome experience to master the employment and operation of medium to heavy machine guns.

The weapons squad concept in the Army is a good one. I just wish the Army would go back to Machine Gunners as an MOS.

Pork Twain

I think you might be the guy giving them the advice on their uniforms.  ;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/