Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida fires McElwain

Started by Lanny, October 29, 2017, 05:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: HogSlop84 on October 29, 2017, 07:37:58 pm
if they want the guy, they will get him. That is pocket change for Florida
Florida has NEVER been known for paying huge dollars for new coaches. Now once they prove themselves, yes, the checkbook opens and money flows. But not until Coach X has proven his/her worth.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

checkraiser88

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 29, 2017, 07:47:49 pm
Florida has NEVER been known for paying huge dollars for new coaches. Now once they prove themselves, yes, the checkbook opens and money flows. But not until Coach X has proven his/her worth.

Well maybe that's their problem

rzrbk4life

I wonder what kind of financial situation FL is in right now. With as many coaches they have had the last few years I would think we are better off than them
Let's call those hogs!!!!

texas tush hog

Quote from: ur on October 29, 2017, 06:46:19 pm
Well if they can't afford $6.4 mill, then I don't know who can.

Tennessee.

Inhogswetrust

October 29, 2017, 08:21:09 pm #54 Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:34:17 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: sickboy on October 29, 2017, 05:16:25 pm
I'm actually one of the few who wouldn't want to be a college football coach at an SEC school. I started feeling that way back when people started burning down Austin Allen's car. Life's too short to work 24 hour work days, devalue your family life and have to endure constant criticism at every turn, most of which is calling for you to lose your job every day of your life.

Meh. They don't make that much money. I'm perfectly happy making less, not having people publicly petitioning for my unemployment, and getting to spend time with my family.

I couldn't agree more! I have made good money. Obviously not as much as a college football coach but enough to live comfortably and now only work when I want to. I worked extremely long hours in hotels dealing with a lot of crap. Hotels never close. If I had a dollar for every phone call or text  I got in the middle of the night or had to work double, triple or even quadruple shifts I'd be a multi millionaire. I can't believe what coaches have to deal with. I now help them when I want to but not because I have to. The best part is I'm home anytime I want to be. The second best part is I can't remember the last time I had to wear a damn suit and tie! That being said I have no plans to ever fully retire.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

All this talk of winning the east twice crap means nothing to a big name like Florida. They could already tell he wasn't going to work. They want more offense and be in the national title talk ever year. Winning the east and lose to Bama is no fun for them in a weak east. It's not just wins they want to be entertained. They need someone like Petrino, Mullen, Leach, or maybe Norvell. They want big offense, wins and titles

Remember, we beat this Fla team last year.  One of the few things that we have to boast about in forever.  We likely put at least a half dozen nails in that coffin. 

RedRock

Sounds like a Lane Kiffin destination

HawgPound

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on October 29, 2017, 05:21:00 pm
But those two wins were by default.  Florida was just not as bad as the rest of the east.
Would you guys be saying that if Arkansas won the West by "default?" I have a strong suspicion you would not.

I have joked about Jones and Bielema being fired early but TBH I don't think it is a good idea. Everyone seems to think it jump starts the hiring process but I don't think it does. It leads to being used as a bargaining chip in getting someone else a raise. The best recent example is LSU when they got rid of Miles. Did they get their number one choice? What about number two? Who did they get? Oh, the interim.

HardCore

But, but, but I thought you couldn't fire coached mid-season??? 

What the hell is this?
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on October 29, 2017, 08:24:13 pm
All this talk of winning the east twice crap means nothing to a big name like Florida. They could already tell he wasn't going to work. They want more offense and be in the national title talk ever year. Winning the east and lose to Bama is no fun for them in a weak east. It's not just wins they want to be entertained. They need someone like Petrino, Mullen, Leach, or maybe Norvell. They want big offense, wins and titles

Then that doesn't explain why they hired Zook or Muschamp.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HardCore on October 29, 2017, 09:08:56 pm

What the hell is this?

A win at all costs program.

moses_007

Quote from: Simple Swineman on October 29, 2017, 05:22:18 pm
2015 SEC coach of the year
22-12 overall
16-6 in conference
2 SEC east division titles in 3 years

Brutal
No coach at Arkansas with this kind of record would ever be fired.  I wonder if we couldn't just hire him to replace Bielema?  He's a good coach.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Sexton says they are after HDN.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: moses_007 on October 29, 2017, 09:29:16 pm
No coach at Arkansas with this kind of record would ever be fired.  I wonder if we couldn't just hire him to replace Bielema?  He's a good coach.

That would mean Jeff Long had some common sense!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ur

florida ad on sec channel now

hawganatic

Quote from: sickboy on October 29, 2017, 05:16:25 pm
I'm actually one of the few who wouldn't want to be a college football coach at an SEC school. I started feeling that way back when people started burning down Austin Allen's car. Life's too short to work 24 hour work days, devalue your family life and have to endure constant criticism at every turn, most of which is calling for you to lose your job every day of your life.

Meh. They don't make that much money. I'm perfectly happy making less, not having people publicly petitioning for my unemployment, and getting to spend time with my family.

I actually think a lot of coaches are getting this mindset, and that is why there are only two or three really great coaches in the conference right now.  That is also why these ridiculous buyouts we all want our AD fired for are becoming necessary.

You either succeed and become a legend, or you ride off with 15 mill in your pocket.  It's a win-win for the coach.

ur

fl not using a search firm or a selection comm.  AD doing it.

GuvHog

But, but, but I thought you couldn’t fire coached mid-season??? 

What the hell is this?

McElwain is just the first one to go.

It use to be that schools could wait till season's end to fire coaches and quickly hire a new coach who would have a couple of months to solidify the recruiting class for signing day the next year. It's not that way any more. Starting this year there is an early signing period in December so schools who are going to terminate their head coaches will do so during the season to get an early start on the coaching search to have a new coach in place as soon as possible so he can solidify the recruiting class for the early signing period. What Florida did today in terminating their head coach during the season will become more common from now on.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawganatic

What the hell is this?

Not the same situation.  It's like the hot girl dumping her boyfriend in front a crowd of people.  She'll still have other guys lined up to date her.  The fat ugly girl doesn't have that same freedom, even though she may have more to offer in making her man happy...

WoePigSooie

Quote from: HenduHog on October 29, 2017, 05:09:33 pm
I guess claiming to get unconfirmed death threats will get you canned.

How about other lies?   Nothing that isn't correctable, we are close, etc.

razorbrass

Quote from: WoePigSooie on October 29, 2017, 10:28:09 pm
How about other lies?   Nothing that isn't correctable, we are close, etc.
Should someone be fired for lying?  Hypothetically, could the powers that be have looked the other way if he had taken them to a BCS bowl the previous year?
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

hog.goblin

Quote from: HogSlop84 on October 29, 2017, 07:37:58 pm
if they want the guy, they will get him. That is pocket change for Florida

Eventually it adds up.
$1.5M a year to Muschamp
$x a year to McElwain
$x a year to new coach
Still have subpar facilities

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2017, 06:56:22 pm
They only made a $5m profit in 2015-2016 which is the last year in their report to the Dept of Education, if I read it correctly.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

You have to type in the institutions name to get their report.

Some people either don't know what profit means or how it was derived or what variables can be controlled or not to make it what it is.

Iwastherein1969

What the hell is this?
This is...."Are you a figment of my imagination or am I one of yours"

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: HogFoo on October 29, 2017, 11:11:45 pm
Maybe it was the shark fetish that got him fired. Haha
man, he doesn't have a fish fetish, he was just trying to 'jump the shark'

onebadrubi

Quote from: ur on October 29, 2017, 07:33:31 pm
Contract says buyout due in 45 days.
https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2016/5/13/11672082/breaking-down-matt-campbells-contract-with-iowa-state-football-2016

These kinds of things are renogtiated sometimes.   ISU would most likely let it be paid out over a few years I'm sure. 

HardCore

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 29, 2017, 09:20:23 pm
A win at all costs program.

I guess so.  They are only displaying 3 NC banners in their stadium.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

GuvHog

Quote from: HardCore on October 30, 2017, 05:12:38 am
I guess so.  They are only displaying 3 NC banners in their stadium.

Anyone who believes Florida has a "win at all costs" program doesn't know what a "win a all costs" program is. They been in trouble with the NCAA one time and that was under head coach Charlie Pell. He was fired for it and Spurrier quickly cleaned the program up when he took over.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 08:07:02 am
Anyone who believes Florida has a "win at all costs" program doesn't know what a "win a all costs" program is. They been in trouble with the NCAA one time and that was under head coach Charlie Pell. He was fired for it and Spurrier quickly cleaned the program up when he took over.

I've spent time in Gainesville. Spurrier didn't clean anything up.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 29, 2017, 09:10:18 pm
Then that doesn't explain why they hired Zook or Muschamp.
I think they learned from those mistakes. Especially WM. Besides, I was looking at things from today's perspective not ten years ago.  This was gathers from my family and their friends who live in florida

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on October 30, 2017, 08:21:23 am
I think they learned from those mistakes. Especially WM. Besides, I was looking at things from today's perspective not ten years ago.  This was gathers from my family and their friends who live in florida

Was listening to Pat Dooley this morning.  He said Foley was hesitant to fire Muschamp when he did because he believed the coaching talent pool was so lacking of quality replacements. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NaturalStateReb

Mark it down--Dan Mullen will be the new coach at Florida.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HardCore

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 30, 2017, 08:13:38 am
I've spent time in Gainesville. Spurrier didn't clean anything up.

I was in Santiago, Chile twice last year

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 30, 2017, 08:28:26 am
Mark it down--Dan Mullen will be the new coach at Florida.

Mark it down, he will not.  His wife loves Starkville and does not like or want to go back to Gainesville in the least.  It is a big reason why he has not taken other jobs.  It has come open twice since he has been at MSU.  Mullen may move on but it won't be to Florida, and I think the chances he moves on at all are less than 50-50.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 30, 2017, 08:33:10 am
Mark it down, he will not.  His wife loves Starkville and does not like or want to go back to Gainesville in the least.  It is a big reason why he has not taken other jobs.  It has come open twice since he has been at MSU.  Mullen may move on but it won't be to Florida, and I think the chances he moves on at all are less than 50-50.

His wife wants him to retire at MSU, She loves the area and is treated like a Queen by the MSU fans and staff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Simple Swineman on October 29, 2017, 05:22:18 pm
2015 SEC coach of the year
22-12 overall
16-6 in conference
2 SEC east division titles in 3 years

Brutal

*bump*

We'd be erecting statues to Bret and singing songs about him if he had this record at Arkansas. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.