Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop blaming the refs.

Started by RazorMack, January 02, 2018, 10:45:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorMack

There were a lot of reasons for the loss tonight. But, this isn't on the officials.Poor effort on the boards and defense all game, and bad closing time offense is what cost us this game.  There were multiple occasions where we gave up offensive rebounds off free throws giving State another possession. That's unacceptable. The final few possessions were terrible on the offensive side too. We have a hot shooting Macon and he doesn't touch the ball once. Not calling a timeout on the last shot after the missed free throws was just dumb on Anderson. Just a lot of bad, but fixable mistakes that ended up being too much to overcome.

Don't jump off the ledge on this team yet. We're still a good ball club and were going to win a lot of games. We had a golden opportunity to win this game despite playing poorly all night. Refocus and come out ready to ball Saturday.

Beat Auburn. WPS

BannerMountainMan

28 extra free points I'm pretty sure could overcome a 3 pt loss. We got pushed around in our lane all game long but didn't call crap.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

XavierZane

The only reason the game was even close was because the refs didn't call it the same for both teams.  It was blatant and horrible to watch.  28 extra fta is undeniable.  If you give them free points anytime they fall too far behind, any team can compete.

forrest city joe

Quote from: RazorMack on January 02, 2018, 10:45:45 pm
There were a lot of reasons for the loss tonight. But, this isn't on the officials.Poor effort on the boards and defense all game, and bad closing time offense is what cost us this game.  There were multiple occasions where we gave up offensive rebounds off free throws giving State another possession. That's unacceptable. The final few possessions were terrible on the offensive side too. We have a hot shooting Macon and he doesn't touch the ball once. Not calling a timeout on the last shot after the missed free throws was just dumb on Anderson. Just a lot of bad, but fixable mistakes that ended up being too much to overcome.

Don't jump off the ledge on this team yet. We're still a good ball club and were going to win a lot of games. We had a golden opportunity to win this game despite playing poorly all night. Refocus and come out ready to ball Saturday.

Beat Auburn. WPS
No the hell i won't stop blame the refs.they gave this game to Miss.State.they flat out suck! 40 FT to 12. they should be embarrassment. all 3 of them have no business being refs.they should be fired.

Dropkick

Jzilla

It's always the refs fault when we lose from the majority of fans, the refs didn't chase down rebounds for them, or just jack up dumb shots for us!!

sowmonella

Quote from: Jzilla on January 02, 2018, 10:57:33 pm
It's always the refs fault when we lose from the majority of fans, the refs didn't chase down rebounds for them, or just jack up dumb shots for us!!
We had the same number of rebounds as MS State and shot a better FG%. We also made 7 more baskets. So what other dumb crap do you want to spew?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hog Pharm

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 02, 2018, 10:52:22 pm
No the hell i won't stop blame the refs.they gave this game to Miss.State.they flat out suck! 40 FT to 12. they should be embarrassment. all 3 of them have no business being refs.they should be fired.

If we fired all the refs who you say screwed us there wouldn't be any left....

forrest city joe

you Anderson haters may as well give it up. haters lost this battle last year.Mike Anderson is going to be coach here a long time.so keep hoping the refs give you what they gave you tonight hater.

flippinhogmana

twelve trips to the line for the hogs, forty for the daugs.  I rest my case.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

RazorMack

Were there bad calls and no calls all night? Sure. There were plenty of times where I thought we were fouled and didn't the call. But, it doesn't excuse the poor execution we had all night. 40-12 is a wide margin for sure, and had the FT been closer we without a doubt would of won. But on the road in the SEC you can't expect to get the calls and the home team is going to get the benefit of the doubt. Despite the FT differntial we should of, and would have won had we executed properly down the stretch. Games like these are teaching moments, we will learn from them and be better because of it. Win on Saturday, sweep at home next week, and were 4-1 and looking pretty good.

forrest city joe

Quote from: sowmonella on January 02, 2018, 11:00:06 pm
We had the same number of rebounds as MS State and shot a better FG%. We also made 7 more baskets. So what other dumb crap do you want to spew?
FACTS!

Jzilla

Texas tech beats kansas in Kansas and we can't beat miss state!!

Jzilla

Those 17 offensive rebounds they had really helped them out!! No doubt we didn't get some calls on our end but we have to stop fouling so much!

Topcat

This is a r1diculous statement when you have such a blatant disparity in free throw attempts. 40-12? It's always been this way in the SEC. Home teams seem to get all of the calls and makes it extremely tough to get road wins. Everybody has to deal with this crap except Kentucky. They get the calls everywhere. 

RazorMack

I am not claiming the refs were good tonight. The FT disparity shows that the calls were one-sided. Poor effort on the glass was killer to us though. Miss. State had 17 offensive boards, how many of those extra possessions resulted in fouls and free throws? We do a better job on the glass tonight and that FT desparity would of been a lot smaller, and we win that game by 10+ points.

Paul

Those State offensive rebounds are due to our poor fundamentals. Been that way for a while

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

sowmonella

Quote from: RazorMack on January 02, 2018, 11:20:48 pm
I am not claiming the refs were good tonight. The FT disparity shows that the calls were one-sided. Poor effort on the glass was killer to us though. Miss. State had 17 offensive boards, how many of those extra possessions resulted in fouls and free throws? We do a better job on the glass tonight and that FT desparity would of been a lot smaller, and we win that game by 10+ points.

Wrong again. They did have 17 OR but we had 12 OR and made 7 more baskets. We shot 50+% from the field which results in less OR chances.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.

lunchbox72703

RazorMack...you are completely wrong here.

The real Hogules

Sure, the officials contributed to our loss, but so did our poor free throw shooting to start the game. I believe that I saw we were 3-10, from the charity stripe at one point and we only shot 12 for the entire game, so the absolute best we could have finished from the line was 5-12, which is less than 50% from the line. There were a LOT of contributing factors in our loss, including an off night by Jalen Barford, Trey Thompson looking like a deer in headlights, and C.J. Jones shooting slump continues. As I said, the refs were pitiful, but if we could have just shown up at the Hump and played our usual game on BOTH ends of the floor we would have won in spite of piss poor officiating.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Nickle-Pig

We were out played by a team that rose to the occasion with no crowd. The officiating is often questionable but players know they have to play through that.  The blame is on our effort and credit to them.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on January 03, 2018, 05:31:32 am
We were out played by a team that rose to the occasion with no crowd. The officiating is often questionable but players know they have to play through that.  The blame is on our effort and credit to them.

Wrong.  We shot 51.6% overall and 40% from 3.  We hit 7 more shots than them overall and 2 more 3s than them.  They shot 42.4% overall and only 19% from 3.  They shot 21 3s to our 15.  Rebounding was even.  The lone major disparity in their favor was foul shots.  Despite only making 60% of their attempts, they still hit 19 more than we did and hit 12 more FTs than we even attempted.  We played a bunch of zone and they jacked 21 3s, yet they shoot 28 more FTs than us.  You can try to explain this away as a lack of effort, road woes, poor fundamentals, etc., but those are simply not the reasons for the loss.

AlmaHog2011

No they gave them over 40 free throws. That's what the refs did!!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on January 03, 2018, 05:31:32 am

Please stop this! Makes you look like an idiot. Effort was just fine and the players played hard.

The_Iceman

When you don't attack the basket, you won't get calls. Fade aways and contested 3's don't get many fouls called. The real reason we lost is rebounding and lack of guard depth (Garland).

rhog1

It is not possible to watch the game last night and not come away with the Refs screwed us badly. Any Arkansas fan that says differently is just looking for a reason to complain. We only lost by 3 in a game where they shot 42 free throws.

Nickle-Pig

Easier to cry and blame the refs. My hats off to them.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

arkansasstory

We lost because of the refs...PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!

hogginbama

Beat Auburn. WPS

What's wrong with calling out the refs when they suck? Everyone says, "this is just what happens when you play on the road in the SEC" so that should make it okay. Hell no, why not demand the best officiating available instead of some hacks that shouldn't be allowed to call a middle school "B" game. I call the refs out in every game I watch when they suck, regardless of who is playing. All teams deserve equal officiating both on the road and at home. I heard it explained one time that a foul is called on one end under the basket and not called on the other end based on the rotation of the officials from one end of the court to the other. Last I checked, the rule book doesn't say an "over the back" is to be called when ref A is under the basket but not when ref B is there. Now if MSU comes to BWA and the fouls are that far apart in MSU's favor and they shoot 20 more FTs than us.... then I will give it to you that the refs were not the issue. If they come to BWA and we shoot 20 more FTs than them then it is obvious that the home teams get the cooked meal. Sure, every home team gets the benefit of the doubt, but that is on close calls.

Now calling a timeout at the end is questionable. Ever thought that a shot in a scramble would have been better than letting them set up a defense in a timeout or even prevent the 3 point shot. Give them a time out to discuss and I guarantee you they would have fouled right away and a 3-pointer would have never been sent to the basket. It would have been 2 FTs instead.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogginbama on January 03, 2018, 08:19:19 am
What's wrong with calling out the refs when they suck?

Except that is what most here do after EVERY loss. Hogs got blown out by 30+ at OSU last year and the same posters were here blaming that on the refs.

To some of these people the Hogs have not actually lost a basketball game the last 6 1/2 seasons that it was not the refs fault. It is either " the refs won't let us play our game " or " they let ( insert team here ) play physical inside " or " they call ticky tacky stuff on the hogs 40 ft from the basket ".

I only got to see the last 5 minutes of the game because I was out calling games last night, but what I saw was 4 key offensive rebounds by MSU, and 15+ ft jump shots by the Hogs. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sowmonella

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 08:27:33 am
Except that is what most here do after EVERY loss. Hogs got blown out by 30+ at OSU last year and the same posters were here blaming that on the refs.

To some of these people the Hogs have not actually lost a basketball game the last 6 1/2 seasons that it was not the refs fault. It is either " the refs won't let us play our game " or " they let ( insert team here ) play physical inside " or " they call ticky tacky stuff on the hogs 40 ft from the basket ".

I only got to see the last 5 minutes of the game because I was out calling games last night, but what I saw was 4 key offensive rebounds by MSU, and 15+ ft jump shots by the Hogs. 

You might want to watch more than 5 minutes of a game before you proceed to explain to those who watched all 40 minutes why they are stupid.

LRHawg

They missed some calls, sure. Miss State also got almost every lucky bounce, or out hustled us on 50/50 balls.

In the end, we were up 6 with about 2 minutes left, but stayed in zone too long. MSU hit two open threes and tied it up. Should have been able to close it out with a lead like that.

I will say, the travel call on Macon was complete B.S.

hogsanity

Quote from: sowmonella on January 03, 2018, 08:33:23 am
You might want to watch more than 5 minutes of a game before you proceed to explain to those who watched all 40 minutes why they are stupid.

I did not say they were stupid. I said they blame the refs every time the Hogs lose, and you can go back through the post history and see that. I don't even need to watch a game at all, just look at the score and I can tell you what the posts here will be.

It was one loss, on the road in a tough SEC, it was not a season killer. Most everyone was saying 1-1 this week would be a good week, so if they go win at Aub mission accomplished.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mdoubleu84

Quote from: sowmonella on January 03, 2018, 08:33:23 am

+1

hogsanity

Quote from: mdoubleu84 on January 03, 2018, 08:50:16 am
+1

Oh look another puppet account. Created 2 years ago and never a post until 2 weeks ago.

hogginbama

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 08:27:33 am

Oh, I forgot, you are a ref so you have to play the corporate role. The calling of games has been an issue with the SEC for years and will not get better any time soon. If it is a foul when a team is on the road, then it is a foul when that team is playing at home and vice versa. As I said earlier, if MSU comes to BWA, shoots 20+ more FTs than us and is called for 20 less fouls...then our guys suck at playing basketball. But for the life of me, I don't see that happening....I see it getting called some what evenly or slightly in our favor. There is absolutely no way we learn how to play between now and then with a different style that would result in less fouls.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

mdoubleu84

Quote from: LRHawg on January 03, 2018, 08:36:53 am
They missed some calls, sure. Miss State also got almost every lucky bounce, or out hustled us on 50/50 balls.

In the end, we were up 6 with about 2 minutes left, but stayed in zone too long. MSU hit two open threes and tied it up. Should have been able to close it out with a lead like that.

I will say, the travel call on Macon was complete B.S.

We settled late, but that's typical of MA.

And I was ok with the zone defense. I honestly thought at the time it was brilliant bc they had been driving on us all game and getting to the FT line. I think at the time they were like 2-19 from 3pt, then hit back to back 3s. Probably could have gone to it a little sooner.

mdoubleu84

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 08:52:09 am
Oh look another puppet account. Created 2 years ago and never a post until 2 weeks ago.

Seems I created this and forgot about it...sorry man, am I still allowed around here?

LRHawg

Quote from: mdoubleu84 on January 03, 2018, 08:56:22 am
We settled late, but that's typical of MA.

And I was ok with the zone defense. I honestly thought at the time it was brilliant bc they had been driving on us all game and getting to the FT line. I think at the time they were like 2-19 from 3pt, then hit back to back 3s. Probably could have gone to it a little sooner.

Yeah me too, I thought it was a great call by Anderson, but it's also a bit of a gamble when you know they'll need some 3's to catch back up.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogginbama on January 03, 2018, 08:53:16 am
Oh, I forgot, you are a ref so you have to play the corporate role. The calling of games has been an issue with the SEC for years and will not get better any time soon. If it is a foul when a team is on the road, then it is a foul when that team is playing at home and vice versa. As I said earlier, if MSU comes to BWA, shoots 20+ more FTs than us and is called for 20 less fouls...then our guys suck at playing basketball. But for the life of me, I don't see that happening....I see it getting called some what evenly or slightly in our favor. There is absolutely no way we learn how to play between now and then with a different style that would result in less fouls.

Well, maybe it is because I actually know what it is like to be on the court with 10 large humans running around in a fairly small space instead of sitting on my butt watching and thinking my team is getting screwed over all the time.

And there have been teams come to BWA and get called for fewer fouls and shot more ft's before.

hogboarder

Our bigs played lazy on defense. They didn't move their feet and put themselves into position. When you do this you end up swatting at the shooter leading to fouls.

mdoubleu84

Quote from: hogboarder on January 03, 2018, 09:16:03 am
Our bigs played lazy on defense. They didn't move their feet and put themselves into position. When you do this you end up swatting at the shooter leading to fouls.

This is 100% true as well. Trey Thompson hasn't looked the same since he got moved out of the starting lineup.

Hoggish1

Too many things to mention that were plain bad for any team, much less a 23rd ranked one.  For one, I'm sick and tired of team looking to run before ball is secured, taking every opportunity to jump out there with a loose ball that someone wants to slap to an open man on the wing...

But, having said that, as just one example, ell yes let's add the refs to last night's dumpster fire.  How can anyone justify that disparity in number of fouls called against only one team.  Never mind not being able to hit the few calls we did get...

Corkscrew Johnson

Like every game, there were things we could have done better than would have sealed a victory.  That can be said for the losing team every game. 

But there was no doubt the refereeing tanked this game.  Especially in the first half when we should have built a comfortable margin.  And we weren't just settling for jump shots, we were taking it to the rim.  Mind-numbing discrepancy in how that game was officiated. 

The_Iceman

If the refs called things fair, we would still be 1-1 in SEC play.

bigred223

Quote from: Jzilla on January 02, 2018, 11:09:04 pm
Texas tech beats kansas in Kansas and we can't beat miss state!!

Kansas has lost three times at home this year and beat a sorry Nebraska team by 1. Maybe they aren't that amazing.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Agree.  Blaming refs is a loser excuse.

hawginbigd1

Beat Auburn. WPS
Typically I am the last one to call out officiating, but this was bad! However your premise is correct the officials didn't cost us the game, our missing FTs and giving up too many 2nd chance points kept MSU in the game. I mean the psychological lift given to MSU when Macon didn't complete the 4 point opportunity was huge IMO

hawginbigd1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 12:39:26 pm
If the refs called things fair, we would still be 1-1 in SEC play.
I disagree I thought things were really balanced Saturday, definitely if you compare to this game.