Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frazier's visit to Arkansas-Mom's point of view!

Started by itsamomthang, January 14, 2013, 10:54:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

itsamomthang

Hey all.  I said I'd be getting back to y'all about Joshua's visit.  I know many have been waiting with baited breath.

Well, shortly after we arrived, we discovered that it was Coach Bielema's 43rd birthday yesterday.  He met us at the door in a warm-up suit and flip-flops along with 2 other coaches.  He was so pleasant and relaxed as he shared his world views on the importance of flip-flops, and although I don't wear them much, I happen to agree.  I get pretty cranky when I have to wear shoes that hurt my feet. 

This coaching staff compared to Petrino's is much more relatable and genuine.  It didn't get past me and Joshua last year that Petrino's bunch just seemed a bit pretentious and overly mushy towards him as an athlete.  Joshua appreciated the candor and down-to-"earthiness" of this bunch a lot more.

I must say, we had a very good visit.  I will try to refrain from speaking for Joshua, he doesn't like for me to do that, but my take on his reaction was a VERY positive one.  Our visit with CBB and Coach Partridge was encouraging.  Joshua was attentive and engaged throughout the visit.  His time spent with the strengthening coach, Bob Herbert, was especially enjoyable to Joshua.  Coach Herbert is a very intense, results-oriented trainer who will take our players to another level physically to prepare for the most formidable of opponents. 

Coach Partridge seems to be a fair and no-nonsense DL coach who is versatile in his approach to how he handles relationships with players.  Joshua seemed particularly pleased with some of the tips Coach Partridge showed him in how he focuses on opponents and how to get the upper hand when the ball is snapped. 

Academically, what the school has to offer for student athletes is bar-none the best of the best.  I'm so glad to see what Arkansas puts into seeing to it that their athletes achieve in the classroom as well as on the field.  I've made it clear before, as to who I want to take my son to through and to the next phase of his life/career and that is Arkansas. 

I will say to those of you with questions about their ability to recruit, you should trust their process.  They get to know who they are recruiting and have the ability to line right up with what any player is looking for in a school, a team, or a coaching staff...and its not because their placating the recruit, it's just that they are just that versatile and relatable to just about anyone they come into contact with. 

Coach Bielema and his coaches had me and Joshua feeling like we were talking to our next door neighbors as opposed to Petrino's bunch that had me feeling like we were talking to a bunch of politicians who were scrambling for our vote in the next election.

They've set the bar very high and in my opinion, will be the ones to beat as we continue through the recruitment process.  I have a very keen sense of judgement and believe this is the team my son will want to play for unless someone else just comes and completely blows them out of the water - but it's gonna take a lot for that to happen. 

The bravest thing a man can do is to remain silent in a chanting crowd.  - Rukshana Smith (Rainbows of the Gutter)

navyhog24

I love coach bb and his flip flops every time I hear about it. Dude is so relaxed

ldfergu

AugustaHog

Wow! Great to hear Mom!   Hog fans would love to be able to cheer on Joshua as a Razorback.  I certainly hope that happens.  Thanks, not only for the update, but also the first-hand in-sight of being recruited by this staff.  This is a perspective that many of us will never have for ourselves.  It is very neat to see how it works.  I'm glad to hear that the football program is in good hands.

davispard

Thank you, for not only sharing what you did, but also affirming what I felt about this staff, in terms of recruiting:  they are top notch and really know what they are doing.  Professionals all the way.  We, Razorback Nation, are very Blessed to have this group of coaches leading our young men, and women, through a very, sometimes, confusing time of life.  College can be, and is, very difficult at times.  I trust this staff explicitly with our kids....   WPS!!!!!!!!

GO

tiber

Redhogs

Thanks for making the process so public, I know that can be a hard decision at times. Good luck and hope to see him AND you at Razorback stadium in the future..God Bless...
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ldfergu

the 2014 class is gonna be LOADED.  Potentially the best class I've seen as a razorback.  Come on down and help us finally win the NC!!  Again of course

Granny

BrokenArrowHogs

January 14, 2013, 11:18:18 am #10 Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:30:45 am by BrokenArrowHogs
+1. Thanks for sharing. It is a huge decision for your son and your family. Very cool of you to share insight of the process with those of us that will most likely never experience it.

Wish your son the best going forward and hope he decides to play for the UoA. 

dowils

Thank you so much for taking the time to keep the Arkansas Fans informed.  That is very kind of you and I hope your son chooses Arkansas to play football and get a terrific education.

Bubba's Bruisers

Thanks, mom!  Your insight is much appreciated.  Josh is probably the top target for us next year.  I think it was appropriate for this staff to be in town on Sunday to host him instead of out on the road with 2013 recruits.  Josh is that critical, IMO.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HomeIsWhereTheHogIs

Great read! Great Post! Thanks +1 WPS1  Go :razorback: sGo
If carrots got you drunk, Rabbits would be f'd up!

I used to do drugs.  I still do, but I used to...to.

Okie Hog

Now THIS is a source!  Thanks for the info.  Hope your son calls the Hogs.  WPS!

OTTER

Thank you for sharing this with us.  We don't often get an indepth look at how a coaching staff recruits and to have a parent relate it to us is fantastic.  I really am impressed with this staff, and you have made that impression even stronger.  Thank you.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

LRHawg

Thanks for your insight. Wherever he ends up, it sounds
Like your family is taking the right approach. Wish him the best of luck, wherever he ends up choosing.

GalaHawg

Ma'am - thank you so much for the detailed insight. I wish the best for your family. The insight regarding the previous staff was also very interesting and telling as well.

titanhawg

Thanks for sharing this information on your son.  Of course, we as fans, and I'm sure the coaches, consider Joshua the #1 recruit for Arkansas next year...so we're all keeping our fingers crossed.

Btw...if your son is half as well-spoken as you are, he has a great future!  Your original message was very well thought out and a joy to read.

bphi11ips

Hogville is worth reading every once in a while.  +1
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HogtoberFest

whosiskid

+2

Thanks so much! Great insight (and those flip flops are beginning to be pretty famous - he'll not get me to convert, however) into the whole meeting.

I'm going to allow myself to be cautiously optimistic about things. If we can get the top players in this class - especially at this point your son and Jarvis Cooper, as well as a number of the other key players, but still mainly Josh and Jarvis - this really will be one of the best recruiting classes ever out of the state, if not the best. This class is so good that it might produce 3 Division One QBs, but we might not take any of them (though I suspect we'll recruit Jackson as a WR, which he played as a freshman). But clearly the heart of the class are the three outstanding DTS, especially Josh. With Bijohn already committed, and hopefully with an offer to Chuks Ota in the future, this has a chance to be the best group of U of A tackles from Arkansas ever.

The vision of the future that I see is a rotation of outstanding tackles that by the 4th quarter have just completely worn down the interior of the other team's offensive line. You win championship by dominating the line of scrimmage, if we had Josh, Bijohn, Chuks, and maybe Craig Evans all grinding down the opponents' lines, we could be tough to beat. I see great things ahead for Arkansas's defense.

I understand that Coach Bielema absolutely insisted on the strength coach coming with him. He has an outstanding reputation, and when I thought of those Wisconsin teams, I always though of these incredibly big, muscular kids. I've always heard good things about our training facilities. Now e have a strenth and conditioning coach worthy of it.

Can't wait for a couple of years from now. I think we are going to see great things in the not so distant future.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Kevin

thanks for the info. i like cbb the more i see and hear him. seems to know who he is and goes with it.

please let us know, what alabama's recruiting is like.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

870hogfan

Thank you for the update! Hope he becomes a Hog!  :razorback:

jmcdonald725

Thank you for the insight! Exciting to hear about the new staff and your son!!! :razorback:

Iamphatman

If there was a vote, I'm gonna go ahead and say Josh's mom gets Hogville poster of the year.  It's really cool to get insight into our recruiting process, and updates from one of our #1 recruits.  I'll have a hard time not rooting for Frazier no matter where he ends up, but it'll be that much louder if and when he wears that  :razorback: uniform!!!

Johnboy

Thanks for the great read, I really enjoyed it!

Oh and what would possess someone on here to smite this lady? 4 smites... What is wrong with you people!?

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: chevymanar on January 14, 2013, 12:42:51 pm
Thanks for the great read, I really enjoyed it!

Oh and what would possess someone on here to smite this lady? 4 smites... What is wrong with you people!?

Bama fans ;-)
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

DukeOfPork

Thanks for the insight.  We are all just speculating and babbling about recruiting without much real knowledge, so it is great to hear from someone who is actually going through the process.

Regardless of where your son attends school, we wish you the best; you certainly have the right approach and mindset to this whole process.  Hearing your take on this just makes it more clear that CBB and his staff are pursuing quality individuals (from quality families) that will be a huge benefit to our Program.

MissippHog

Thanks for the insight Mom, it's rare for us to get such an in-depth view from the recruits side of things.  +1 to you and GHG!

PorkSoda

Quote from: whosiskid on January 14, 2013, 11:55:17 am
+2

Thanks so much! Great insight (and those flip flops are beginning to be pretty famous - he'll not get me to convert, however) into the whole meeting.
here in hawaii, flip flops 'slippers' are the footwear of choice.  I never was a fan before, but I have to say, they are growing on me.  Now if I could just get my boss to let me wear shorts and slippers to work.  that would be awesome.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DeltaBoy

Thanks Mom I enjoyed reading your post the Pig Farmers Son is down to earth as Collard Greens and Fatback.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 14, 2013, 12:10:27 pm
One of the best posts I've read in the Recruiting forum.  Thanks!

Ever! Many thanks.

jgphillips3

I too would like to thank you for the insight. What you say echoes what I was told by a friend of mine who is a high school coach. It's good to hear that our coaches come across so well to the young men we are recruiting.  Best wishes to you and your son no matter what he ultimately chooses to do. At least I know in this case that, if he doesn't come to Arkansas, it won't be because of momma. :)

Hog Fan from Camden

Thanks mom.  This inside look at your son's recruitment is much appreciated.  Great read also!

jthill

Quote from: itsamomthang on January 14, 2013, 10:54:18 am
Hey all.  I said I'd be getting back to y'all about Joshua's visit.  I know many have been waiting with baited breath.

Well, shortly after we arrived, we discovered that it was Coach Bielema's 43rd birthday yesterday.  He met us at the door in a warm-up suit and flip-flops along with 2 other coaches.  He was so pleasant and relaxed as he shared his world views on the importance of flip-flops, and although I don't wear them much, I happen to agree.  I get pretty cranky when I have to wear shoes that hurt my feet. 

This coaching staff compared to Petrino's is much more relatable and genuine.  It didn't get past me and Joshua last year that Petrino's bunch just seemed a bit pretentious and overly mushy towards him as an athlete.  Joshua appreciated the candor and down-to-"earthiness" of this bunch a lot more.

I must say, we had a very good visit.  I will try to refrain from speaking for Joshua, he doesn't like for me to do that, but my take on his reaction was a VERY positive one.  Our visit with CBB and Coach Partridge was encouraging.  Joshua was attentive and engaged throughout the visit.  His time spent with the strengthening coach, Bob Herbert, was especially enjoyable to Joshua.  Coach Herbert is a very intense, results-oriented trainer who will take our players to another level physically to prepare for the most formidable of opponents. 

Coach Partridge seems to be a fair and no-nonsense DL coach who is versatile in his approach to how he handles relationships with players.  Joshua seemed particularly pleased with some of the tips Coach Partridge showed him in how he focuses on opponents and how to get the upper hand when the ball is snapped. 

Academically, what the school has to offer for student athletes is bar-none the best of the best.  I'm so glad to see what Arkansas puts into seeing to it that their athletes achieve in the classroom as well as on the field.  I've made it clear before, as to who I want to take my son to through and to the next phase of his life/career and that is Arkansas. 

I will say to those of you with questions about their ability to recruit, you should trust their process.  They get to know who they are recruiting and have the ability to line right up with what any player is looking for in a school, a team, or a coaching staff...and its not because their placating the recruit, it's just that they are just that versatile and relatable to just about anyone they come into contact with. 

Coach Bielema and his coaches had me and Joshua feeling like we were talking to our next door neighbors as opposed to Petrino's bunch that had me feeling like we were talking to a bunch of politicians who were scrambling for our vote in the next election.

They've set the bar very high and in my opinion, will be the ones to beat as we continue through the recruitment process.  I have a very keen sense of judgement and believe this is the team my son will want to play for unless someone else just comes and completely blows them out of the water - but it's gonna take a lot for that to happen.

Great post. You must be very proud of your son. I have a 2 1/2 year old so I can only imagine the pride you feel for yours. As a former college athlete and college coach I would encourage you to enjoy this time in his life and to take it all in. It might be hectic and overwhelming at times but some of my fondest memories were with my mother and father on recruiting trips. Best of luck to your entire family.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ldfergu on January 14, 2013, 11:00:09 am
Thanks mom, I enjoy reading ur posts!

Me too, and I would like to add that the fact that you are a regular reader shows in your posts. You have the site vernacular down pat and I commend you, as a mother, for your football knowledge. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into the realm that most fans don't get to see. Your posts are always highly anticipated.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BR

Quote from: itsamomthang on January 14, 2013, 11:29:26 am
Well, they were not all there when we got there.  CBB was actually out of town a good portion of the weekend until Sunday.  Many of them (including Coach Partridge) were actually still en route from out of town we got there but arrived towards the end of our visit.  In fact, we had to wait a while to get to meet with Coach Partridge.  He was just getting off the plane and had to make a B-line to the university to meet with Joshua. 

The meeting with him was worth the wait though.   :)
Thank You mam and Thank your son... Hopefully everything works out for everyone..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

shshark00

Thanks mom!! Excellent post. Threads like this are what makes Hogville what it is and keeps me coming back for more.

wacohogbill

Ma'am,if every parent were like you, what a wonderful world we would have. Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us.
Bill

KCRazorbackfan

+1.  A great read into the life of a recruit and the recruiting process with CBB.  Speaking for myself, and I hope all Hogvillians, I hope to see Joshua in a Razorback uniform. WPS, Joshua Frazier!   
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

ppdmike

That was an awesome inside view of this awesome staff we have! Thanks so much for sharing, in the end recruiting is about people and it looks like we are in great hands! God bless your family!
"Credit should go with the performance of duty, and not with what is very often the accident of glory." -T.Roosevelt

mbd1475

Thanks for posting this!  I am really excited at the prospect of Josh becoming a Razorback.

secneahog

After reading your post, I got to my surround sound an turned up Rick Ross real lou!
Everyday im hustlin!!!!!  WPS!    Inspiring story, great day!
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

redeye

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing!

Honestly, that was really cool and I really enjoyed reading it.

big john

john goodwin

sowmonella

And with that, my faith in humanity is restored. Thanks Mom. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

99toLife

Quote from: itsamomthang on January 14, 2013, 02:30:47 pm
Well, you are just too kind, sir! I can only say I've done the best I can and the rest is in God's hands and my children to trust Him to make the choices they make for their own lives no matter what the decision involves.  God Bless!!!

As Flava's mom you rock, I gave a football to someone very close to for your son to sign when I was moving a month ago! It was all in good fun.   ;)

Steef

Quote from: dowils on January 14, 2013, 11:20:04 am
Thank you so much for taking the time to keep the Arkansas Fans informed.  That is very kind of you and I hope your son chooses Arkansas to play football and get a terrific education.

This.