Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

M1 Garand question

Started by Kenny Hawgins, December 09, 2019, 10:27:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Hawgins

Does anyone have any experience with putting a scope mount on a garand?

I have a Springfield M1 that I'd like to add a scope to but don't want to drill it. I've seen some mounts that don't require drilling but thought I'd see if anyone had tried one before I buy.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

kodiakisland

December 09, 2019, 07:41:31 pm #1 Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:05:42 pm by kodiakisland
There are several mounts that are no drill options that mount into the rear sight base.
I do have to ask though, unless trying to make a vintage M1C or D sniper version, why a scope on a Garand?

You can replace the handguard with a picatinny rail for scout scopes/red dots.  There are also a few mounts for red dot/holographic sights that use the rear sight base.

I have a Springfield M1A with the scout scope setup.  It's OK, but I'm not sure it's any better than the peep sight.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 09, 2019, 07:41:31 pm
There are several mounts that are no drill options that mount into the rear sight base.
I do have to ask though, unless trying to make a vintage M1C or D sniper version, why a scope on a Garand?

You can replace the handguard with a picatinny rail for scout scopes/red dots.  There are also a few mounts for red dot/holographic sights that use the rear sight base.

I have a Springfield M1A with the scout scope setup.  It's OK, but I'm not sure it's any better than the peep sight.
I'm right handed but left eye dominant due to an astigmatism in my right eye. Thus, when it comes to long guns, I've always shot lefty.

Now I have corrective contacts for my right eye so I'm trying to switch back to the right but it's taking some time to learn to use the peep sights with my right eye. Hoping this can help ease the transition.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 10, 2019, 12:13:42 am
I’m right handed but left eye dominant due to an astigmatism in my right eye. Thus, when it comes to long guns, I’ve always shot lefty.

Now I have corrective contacts for my right eye so I’m trying to switch back to the right but it’s taking some time to learn to use the peep sights with my right eye. Hoping this can help ease the transition.

OK, makes sense.  It should help quite a bit as it's a side mount that you may be able to shoot right handed, left eyed.  A red dot or holographic sight might be better if using the right eye.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hawgon

Is it a Garand or a commercial Springfield M1?  If it is the commercial, that is basically a semi-auto M-14 and there are plenty of mounts out there for it.  If it is an actual Garand, you'd be better off practicing enough to overcome your limitations and getting used to the receiver sight.

And unless your astigmatism is perfectly corrected, forget about a red dot.  That little dot looks like a starburst instead of a dot and I have a pretty mild astigmatism.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: hawgon on December 10, 2019, 08:00:50 am
Is it a Garand or a commercial Springfield M1?  If it is the commercial, that is basically a semi-auto M-14 and there are plenty of mounts out there for it.  If it is an actual Garand, you'd be better off practicing enough to overcome your limitations and getting used to the receiver sight.

And unless your astigmatism is perfectly corrected, forget about a red dot.  That little dot looks like a starburst instead of a dot and I have a pretty mild astigmatism.
It's a real Garand. Good condition with the heavy walnut stock.  Really a fun gun to shoot.

You're right; it will take practice. Part of it is just just developing the motor patterns on the opposite side of my body. Once I do that, it'll make the aiming easier.

BroyledNutts

January 07, 2020, 12:56:17 pm #6 Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:25:04 pm by BroyledNutts
Might I suggest, if you haven't considered already, unless your M1 is a Tanker model ... It's more pricey than most, but they claim no modification of the Garand needed to mount ... might be worth a phone call to ask them.
http://ultimak.com/M12.htm

FYI - as of my post today, Brownell's has them in stock for $188 ... https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/m1-garand-forward-optic-mount-sku100007347-44067-80972.aspx                           

mods, remove links if not allowed.

Kenny Hawgins

Interesting. I'll check that out. Thanks