Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good Article on Ole Miss coaching search

Started by HAM ELLIOT, November 09, 2011, 03:31:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HAM ELLIOT

Several recognizable names on the list, and some VERY good analysis about HDN.

http://coachesbythenumbers.com/nutts-out-whos-in/

GoHogs1091

Money is going to be a problem for Ole Miss.  They won't have much money to offer.  The only one on that list in the linked Article that Ole Miss probably has a good chance of getting is Larry Fedora. 

If I were Ole Miss/Archie Manning, the following would be the best Coaches for Ole Miss to consider.

Kevin Steele-  Defensive Coordinator at Clemson

"• Has 25 years of experience in the college ranks and four in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers."

"• Has coached in 18 bowl games, including eight that are considered BCS bowls. That includes six Orange Bowls."

"• Rated as the #10 recruiter in the nation during a 10-year stretch (2002-11) by Rivals.com."

"• Has coached under National Championship Head Coaches Bobby Bowden, Johnny Majors, Tom Osborne, and Nick Saban in his career that dates to the 1982 season."

"• Spent the 2007 and 2008 seasons at Alabama under Nick Saban and helped the Crimson Tide to the 2008 SEC Championship game. Alabama finished the regular season with a 12-0 record and finished third in the nation in total defense, fourth in rushing defense, and sixth in scoring defense in 2008."

http://www.clemsontigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/steele_kevin00.html

Eddie Gran-  Associate Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/RB Coach at Florida State

"• Eddie Gran enters his 24th season of collegiate coaching in his first season at Florida State, where he will serve as associate head coach, tutor the running backs and coordinate special teams. Gran has spent the past 11 seasons as a running backs coach and special teams coordinator in the SEC, including 10 years at Auburn, followed by last season's stop at Tennessee."

"• Gran's record for developing backfield talent is storied. During his 14 seasons as the assistant to Tommy Tuberville at Ole Miss and Auburn, he sent eight ball carriers on to the NFL, including former Tigers Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Rudi Johnson,
Brandon Jacobs, Heath Evans and Kenny Irons. They were preceded by former Rebels Deuce McCallister and John Avery."

"• Beyond the playing field, Gran has established himself as one of the nation's top recruiters. He has spent the better part of two decades recruiting Miami and greater South Florida as his primary territory, where he first crossed paths with Jimbo Fisher. The fertile ground will remain his primary recruiting area with the Seminoles."

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gran_eddie00.html

CoachPetrinoFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 09, 2011, 04:41:32 am
Money is going to be a problem for Ole Miss.  They won't have much money to offer.  The only one on that list in the linked Article that Ole Miss probably has a good chance of getting is Larry Fedora. 

If I were Ole Miss/Archie Manning, the following would be the best Coaches for Ole Miss to consider.

Kevin Steele-  Defensive Coordinator at Clemson

"• Has 25 years of experience in the college ranks and four in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers."

"• Has coached in 18 bowl games, including eight that are considered BCS bowls. That includes six Orange Bowls."

"• Rated as the #10 recruiter in the nation during a 10-year stretch (2002-11) by Rivals.com."

"• Has coached under National Championship Head Coaches Bobby Bowden, Johnny Majors, Tom Osborne, and Nick Saban in his career that dates to the 1982 season."

"• Spent the 2007 and 2008 seasons at Alabama under Nick Saban and helped the Crimson Tide to the 2008 SEC Championship game. Alabama finished the regular season with a 12-0 record and finished third in the nation in total defense, fourth in rushing defense, and sixth in scoring defense in 2008."

http://www.clemsontigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/steele_kevin00.html

I vote for Kevin Steele. He went 9-36 and won only ONE conference when he was head coach at Baylor for four years. :D

Lysol

Always liked Mike Leach and he deserves to get back in the coaching world. He would be a great fit at Ole Miss. (I never started hating on OM until Nutt was there)

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tim Harris

If I was in charge it would be Rich Rod, Mike Leach, and then Kevin Sumlin.

havok

Archie Manning is heading the committee...  hahahahahaha  he was the moron that "Demanded" Ole Miss hire the Dork...  I wouldn't trust his Judgment picking out Socks, much less the next coach for your team..

UncleFrank

Leach supposedly said today that he's interested in Ole Miss.
Question is, after that horrendous buyout mistake, will they be able to afford him?
(I'm guessing, though, that Leach wants back into big-time coaching so bad--and in the SEC would probably be a dream come true for him--that he would sign on for a relatively modest amount, to begin with. Later, he'd probably want a fat raise and greater incentives, though.

Mrcoolhog55

That would be something to see Paul Petrino at Ole Miss. There would be our Rivals if that were to happen. :razorback:

bleedred

Someone close to the program told me Tony Dungy's name has surfaced. He has lots of coaching experience and his relationship with Archie. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: UncleFrank on November 09, 2011, 10:46:56 am
Question is, after that horrendous buyout mistake, will they be able to afford him?
(I'm guessing, though, that Leach wants back into big-time coaching so bad--and in the SEC would probably be a dream come true for him--that he would sign on for a relatively modest amount, to begin with. Later, he'd probably want a fat raise and greater incentives, though.

Ole Miss can pay the tab.  I hope that they get Leach.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: UncleFrank on November 09, 2011, 10:46:56 am

Mike Leach or Kevin Sumlin is the kind of guy they need.  They need to throw the ball around and do something different, not try to copy Alabama.  They also need someone who can bring in a decent QB (and um, develop him). I'd probably go with Sumlin- no baggage. 

Razorfox

Quote from: Mrcoolhog55 on November 09, 2011, 10:48:07 am
That would be something to see Paul Petrino at Ole Miss. There would be our Rivals if that were to happen. :razorback:

I would hate that for both of them.  To have to compete against your own flesh and blood directly like that every year would be tough.  I wouldn't do it if I were Paul. 

NWASooner

Mike Leach would generate a lot of fan buzz and help sell some tickets.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

jobiegohog

I was born and raised to hate the rebels. I don't want leach or Paul there. They might actually become a good football team. Oh what I'd do for a couple more years of hootie !

HawgWild

Jimmy Sexton read the article and now no longer takes calls from HDN.

scarolinahog

I HOPE THEY HIRE GUS. HE WON'T GET A DARREN MCFADDEN OR CAM NEWTON AT OLE MISS. THEN THE WORLD WILL SEE WHAT HE IS REALLY ALL ABOUT. 
I POST IN CAPS CAUSE I LOVE THE JOKES!

hogfanforever

CBP often says that he and Paul speak on a regular basis, sharing information for the purpose of learning/comparing notes/etc. I am curious...what impact would Paul becoming the coach at OM have on their relationship... none I'm sure, but the weekly "comparing of notes" would probably stop...

In this league, if I was starting fresh, I would go for someone who can build a stellar defense and a no-mistake offense quickly. I realize that is something akin to "copying Alabama",  but as long as the "no mistake" offense turns into an aggressive offense later, it's all good.

of course, I'm selfish (for the Hog's sake). I would love for them to hire a high-school coach cuz that's all they can afford (no reference to Gus there...I mean a real high school coach....)

:razorback:
"One of these days its gonna get right and when it does I AM GOING to be scary for a lot of people"

corpitguy

Over on NAFOOM they are discussing the fact that Gus wouldn't deny interest in the job.  I don't put Gus on a pedestal like some here do, but I do think he could hurt recruiting a bit in Arkansas, and be a respectable football coach.  It's easy to see him getting a couple 4-stars from Arkansas every now and then and using them to try and upset one of our BCSNCCG seasons.

Doug

Something interesting (NOT CONFIRMED) that I heard about Nutt's buyout:  No one at the school or the OM Foundation will have to pay Nutt's buyout.  It's being covered almost entirely by a single donor.

Again, this isn't confirmed, but if it's true, it'll allow Ole Miss to open up the budget a little bit for a new coach. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Tim Harris

Quote from: Douglas on November 09, 2011, 12:54:47 pm
Something interesting (NOT CONFIRMED) that I heard about Nutt's buyout:  No one at the school or the OM Foundation will have to pay Nutt's buyout.  It's being covered almost entirely by a single donor.

Again, this isn't confirmed, but if it's true, it'll allow Ole Miss to open up the budget a little bit for a new coach. :)

I could definately see that happening.  They have several alums that have plenty of money.

hogsanity

I could see that.  No reason to pay him off in a way that makes the school hire a no name coordinator into a division that has Petrino, Saban and Miles. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PositronHog

HDN, getting payed millions for being a Looser!!!!!!!  :puke:

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgWild on November 09, 2011, 11:48:51 am
Jimmy Sexton read the article and now no longer takes calls from HDN.

Right.  An agent does not care as long as the checks keep coming. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Doug

Oh, he won't be getting the full $6m being reported.  I'm hearing it's been negotiated down to $4m. The other $2M is for any assistants/coaches that are not retained by the next incoming coach.  Sexton was smart to negotiate that in, HOWEVER, I believe there is also a loophole in that agreement.

From my understanding the contract reads "if no coaches are retained by the next head coach", then OM has to pay an additional $2M. The loophole, IMHO, is retain just ONE coach, but relegate him into the lowest position possible.  That should negate the $2M buyout.

Again, I haven't seen the HDN contract, so this could be based off conjecture.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

wholehog92

Good article.  That bit on Paul bodes well for him getting an offer this year.  I am happy for him, but I hope it isn't in the SEC.

Malzahn would be classic poetic justice for sure, but I'd rather him move far away from AR.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: havok on November 09, 2011, 10:45:24 am
Archie Manning is heading the committee...  hahahahahaha  he was the moron that "Demanded" Ole Miss hire the Dork...  I wouldn't trust his Judgment picking out Socks, much less the next coach for your team..

Archie has always been a dork.  Never understood the love that people have for him.  Guess I am way to young to understand since I never once saw him play.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

rljjr

So you're saying the could OFFER Danny a job doing what he's doing with the knowledge he would stay with HDN, thus creating the loophole and easing them out of the 2M ... brilliant! Or that's what I'd do. You KNOW Danny wouldn't take it.

Hambunctious

Morgan Freeman crawled 500 yards through crap smelling foulness I can't even imagine to hand over that 6 mil.

I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Justifiable Hogicide

Based on past performance it's pretty stupid, I agree.
Can you imagine putting Quinn Grovey in charge of an Arkansas coaching search again?

Hogberry Snortcake

I actually have info on this.  FEDEX money on the buyout. 

RollTideHog

blyhog

Shouting: I WANT TOO SEE GUS AS FAR FROM ARKANSAS AS POSSIBLE, DO YOU NOT THINK FOR A MINUTE THAT GUS WILL NOT TAKE SUPER TROOPER WITH HIM AND MAKE HIM A OC TO MAKE HIM HAPPY AND STILL RUN THE GUS OFFENSE

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: bleedred on November 09, 2011, 11:04:59 am
Someone close to the program told me Tony Dungy's name has surfaced. He has lots of coaching experience and his relationship with Archie. 

Tony Dungy - He served as an assistant coach on the college level for 1 season way back in the 80's and that's it. I'd say he knows very little about running a college football program and all the nuances associated with it. IMHO this would be a very bad hire.

Grunt

Quote from: jobiegohog on November 09, 2011, 11:42:32 am
I was born and raised to hate the rebels. I don't want leach or Paul there. They might actually become a good football team. Oh what I'd do for a couple more years of hootie !
Their fans, players and SEC deserve for them to get back on track.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Douglas on November 09, 2011, 01:14:45 pm
Oh, he won't be getting the full $6m being reported.  I'm hearing it's been negotiated down to $4m. The other $2M is for any assistants/coaches that are not retained by the next incoming coach.  Sexton was smart to negotiate that in, HOWEVER, I believe there is also a loophole in that agreement.

From my understanding the contract reads "if no coaches are retained by the next head coach", then OM has to pay an additional $2M. The loophole, IMHO, is retain just ONE coach, but relegate him into the lowest position possible.  That should negate the $2M buyout.

Again, I haven't seen the HDN contract, so this could be based off conjecture.

What's there to negotiate?  If I'm Nutt, I don't take a penny less!  :) 

And, I believe that if any of Nutt's staff is retained by the new staff, the buyout is $6M.  If all are sent packing it is $8M.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

wholehog92

Quote from: Grunt on November 09, 2011, 02:52:36 pm
Their fans, players and SEC deserve for them to get back on track.

Based on what exactly?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on November 09, 2011, 02:10:33 pm

Exactly.  Ole Miss has plenty of money if they need it.

Hambunctious

I want them to be down, and out as long as possible.  I hope they make a terrible hire.  I don't root for other SEC-W teams to do well in anything, it's counterproductive.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on November 09, 2011, 02:10:33 pm

Makes sense . . . "When you absolutely, positively have to get rid of a dork . . . "

fuentecigar

Never have understood the fascination with anyone with the last name of Manning. All were over rated quarterbacks. Archie never one a championship and both of his boys had their's handed to them.

NWASooner

JackTNHogfan

I think they will go after Malzahn but I think a more likely option is Smart or Sumlin.  However, they may go after Fedora from the jump.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: fuentecigar on November 09, 2011, 05:34:56 pm
Never have understood the fascination with anyone with the last name of Manning. All were over rated quarterbacks. Archie never one a championship and both of his boys had their's handed to them.

P. Manning was legit. I wish I could say otherwise.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

OperationRestoreHawgBall

Mike Leach is a primary example of the fascism of modern Political Correctness (and possibly the talking-head power of ESPN). It's gotten way out of control. Leach is such an interesting guy -has a legal background, one of the most candid coaches ive ever listened to, that you can depend on not to give you the normal BS answers 95% of other coaches give.

Leach should be coaching. the PC police should turn their ire against guys like Joe Paterno, who have actual issues.

Blue35