Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will we see any 3-4 next year?

Started by UCAalum, January 20, 2016, 02:52:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UCAalum

Looking at the tentative roster heading into the 2016-2017 season, our d-line looks massive in terms of both depth and size. Could throwing in a few packages where we stand up a young, talented guy like Jamario Bell, Derrick Graham, McTelvin Agim and let him provide an edge rush help our defense as a whole? I see players like Bijohn Jackson and Armon Watts playing the 1 technique to plug the middle but in our current 4-3 defense this often leaves the middle of the field open with only Ellis to cover it. I feel like adding some 3-4 packages would allow us to cover this area much more efficiently with say Ellis and Greenlaw in the middle of the field instead of just one or the other. WPS.

ricepig

Quote from: UCAalum on January 20, 2016, 02:52:03 pm
Looking at the tentative roster heading into the 2016-2017 season, our d-line looks massive in terms of both depth and size. Could throwing in a few packages where we stand up a young, talented guy like Jamario Bell, Derrick Graham, McTelvin Agim and let him provide an edge rush help our defense as a whole? I see players like Bijohn Jackson and Armon Watts playing the 1 technique to plug the middle but in our current 4-3 defense this often leaves the middle of the field open with only Ellis to cover it. I feel like adding some 3-4 packages would allow us to cover this area much more efficiently with say Ellis and Greenlaw in the middle of the field instead of just one or the other. WPS.

We play a guy on the nose, or tilted towards the center on most every play.

vbgonz46

4-3 or 3-4 isn't relevant in college football like it used to be.  The question is can we get better at nickel and dime packages?
Date Registered:  December 10, 2004, 12:43:54 AM

HOGINTENNESSEE

We did use 3-4 is certain situations last year. If we want to improve our defense we need to excuse better.

hawgfan4life

What about the Dallas 4-3, the Bear Front, 3-4 Eagle, or using some Tampa 2, etc. 

I know one thing that I wouldn't want to do, and that is use a 1 technique very often with a 3 man front.  I can fathom a tilted nose or even a shade, but a 1 technique forces a compensation of moving the other DT into at least a 2 or 3, and then sliding an OLB into a 5, 7, or 9 depending on the OL alignment. 

Too bad we can't hire a DC as smart as the OP.

longpig

Yep, it's time to stop making executes and play some D.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Wildhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 20, 2016, 04:38:10 pm
We did use 3-4 is certain situations last year. If we want to improve our defense we need to excuse better.

I don't know.  I think we excuse pretty well.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

code red

No one runs a 3 front anymore.  And the Hogs are not a candidate for the 3-4....you got to have some BA LBs to run that effectively...that or blitz every play.  Where do folks come up with this crap?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

UCAalum

I totally understand your points and I assumed one of those experienced DE's could play Strong Side DE and let one of our younger guys play on the other side. I guess I am just eager to see some of the young talent on the field together. A more appropriate question may have been how do we get all of the newcomers in the front 7 mixed in with the upperclassmen?

bigdaddyhawg

When I used to play Madden '98 I ran a 11-0 defense, full blitz, and it worked pretty well. Think we'll do some of that this year?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bennyl08

Look at the opponent roster losses thread. Alabama is losing almost all of it starters on defense, but they only accounted for about half of the stats. Your rotate early and often across the board if you can.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

onebadrubi

We had some luck playing that 5 down lineman front with the 5th being a very quick rusher. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on January 20, 2016, 07:55:52 pm
When I used to play Madden '98 I ran a 11-0 defense, full blitz, and it worked pretty well. Think we'll do some of that this year?

The old defensive barge.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

UCAalum

Well stated benny and I think CBB has done a great job of redshirting players so we can rotate more often like the Opponent Roster Losses thread says. Running the 5-2 last year in short yardage situations with Roesler, Winston, among others, is a very similar scheme to what I was referring to. Like you said it was effective at times but I am interested to see if that role is handed to someone like Bell, Graham, or TJ Smith next year.

Pork Twain

Quote from: longpig on January 20, 2016, 04:52:33 pm
Agreed that it is far past time for making excutes and to start excusing on defense
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

acey33

Quote from: vbgonz46 on January 20, 2016, 04:09:00 pm
4-3 or 3-4 isn't relevant in college football like it used to be.  The question is can we get better at nickel and dime packages?

and not have Ellis trying to cover someone down the field IMO. He needs to stay around the LOS.

IronHog

Quote from: code red on January 20, 2016, 07:23:58 pm
No one runs a 3 front anymore.  And the Hogs are not a candidate for the 3-4....you got to have some BA LBs to run that effectively...that or blitz every play.  Where do folks come up with this crap?

True.

Arkansas didn't have enough LBers to run their 4-2-5 nickle package.......3-4 thread shows up on Hogville.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jackflash

if we were to run a 3-4 defense we would need more LB.  We have two committed would need more than that

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: longpig on January 20, 2016, 04:52:33 pm

I laughed entirely too hard at this! 

Paul

Quote from: acey33 on January 21, 2016, 07:24:27 am
and not have Ellis trying to cover someone down the field IMO. He needs to stay around the LOS.
. Agree he has a hard time keeping up downfield

upperdeck_hawg

3-4 requires some studs at linebacker, our weakest position
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 20, 2016, 08:09:17 pm
We had some luck playing that 5 down lineman front with the 5th being a very quick rusher.
Yep against the 3 power run teams, it won't work for the other 9 we played with our current personnel.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 21, 2016, 05:17:41 pm
Yep against the 3 power run teams, it won't work for the other 9 we played with our current personnel.

Ole Miss and Ms st are power run teams?

Country Stylz

Quote from: IronHog on January 21, 2016, 07:34:34 am
True.

Arkansas didn't have enough LBers to run their 4-2-5 nickle package.......3-4 thread shows up on Hogville.
Wish we had the talent and depth to run a 3-4.