Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we ready to take the next step?

Started by Lake City Hog, January 16, 2016, 10:39:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

Take a minute and look at the thread titles on page 1:
"It has happened before"---------------------New QB issue
"Clemson had 5 new O'Linemen"-----------We are losing 3 starters
"Where we stand heading into spring"----- More QB questions and defense questions
"About the back 7"---------------------------- More defense questions
"BB and milestones"-------------------------- Questions regarding next year's records
"Lack of depth on OL and moving Dl to OL"----More depth questions

I am sure that these are some of the very same questions that other fans are asking right now. Yes, I know that we are losing a LOT this year, but that is simply the nature of the beast. The days of a rebuilding year are long gone, teams that maintain a high level of performance don't rebuild.

We have plenty of talented players on the roster right now, enough to duplicate last year. We have BOTH Coordinators back so continuity shouldn't be an issue. The kids stepping up have had at least 1 full season to learn the system and basically an extra spring practice to get better.

It is up to this coaching staff to have them READY! Ready by Game 1. We have to come out of the gate STRONG.
Not being ready cost us a very memorable season this year. There is absolutely no excuse for losing to Toledo and having 4 field goals blocked in 1 season cannot happen. Fix those 2 things and we wind up 9-3 and in a VERY good bowl. Take care of business with TT and ATM and we have 1 of those special seasons that folks remember for a LONG time. And the truth those things were in our grasp, easily.

I expect Anderson to be a coaching upgrade and with the talent on hand I don't expect a big drop-off in O'Line play. Singleton has already proven to be an upgrade so I expect the running game to be very good.
With Enos running the O and coaching the QB's we should be fine. I think that this season was HUGE for him in terms of understanding the SEC and how to coach against SEC defenses. Our ability to throw the ball effectively will enhance our run game tremendously!

We return virtually the entire defense, a pretty young defense, so we should see our D make substantial gains this year. This is the year for Smith, Segrest, Hargreaves and Jennings to earn their pay. The O carried us this year and now we should expect the D to carry their share! We have the talent, we just need to put it together and put it together EARLY!

WE SHOULD EXPECT ANOTHER GOOD SEASON!!!

bphi11ips

Good post. The foundation is in place and the schedule is favorable in 2016.  Less preseason hype may help.  Get by TCU and the Hogs could get on a roll.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razorbackkid

We have approximately 226 days from now to speculate on many things has they pertain to the upcoming season.  Our coaches have the same amount to time to bring forward the best team possible to put on the field.

I have faith and belief that both things will happen.

The next step, imo, is confidence.  We, as avid fans, tend to allow our confidence to be guided and projected by the things we have seen and experienced emotionally from one season to the next.

Losing Brandon Allen, Alex Collins, Jonathan Williams, Hunter Henry and Denver Kirkland has to take a toll.  But let's not be untruthful to ourselves and our dreams for the future.  Many were ready to send Brandon packing after the Toledo loss.  Alex Collins didn't have the speed to be an elite back.  J. Will. was lost for the season before the season even started, thus did not help us.  We lost Hatcher early, we lost Raleigh Williams mid season.  Cornelius was out for a while. 

Our ship was beaten up and our sails were being ripped within the violent storm of the SEC.  Yet, we survived.  Not only did we survive, we regained our footing and actually made a difference in the national championship scenario.  Our teams play mattered.

Though we all were disappointed with the early struggles of last season and the late game failures with the kicking game verses Mississippi State, we did make more progress than we had setbacks despite the losses of potentially season changing injuries to key players.

After the first four games this past season I was one heavy hearted Razorback fan.  By the end of the season I was once again full of pride and let my mind wonder to the 'what could have been only if' scenarios.

The next step and are we ready?  Are we ever really ready? 

Phyllis, an icon on the Paul Finebaum show and a rabid Alabama fan, has much praise for Arkansas and the direction our program is going.  She loves our coaching staff, the way we play, and the aggressive nature of our teams.  This may not mean much on it's face but as an Arkansas fan living here in the heart of Alabama, her thoughts are shared by many of the Alabama and Auburn fans that surround me.  Though our overall record is suspect, the respect for our teams' play is appreciated.

I had six winning numbers on six different lines in the latest Powerball lottery.  One number on each line including the powerball.

All I needed was to put them together into one unit.

We have many of the right pieces in place.  A tweak here and there and we'll be ready.  I believe that.  I always believe that.  I'll always believe that.

Taking the next step forward has always been dependent on not taking a step back.  We are getting to the point where losing the aforementioned players doesn't mean we have taken a step back.  For me.....that's forward progress and the next step should leave a big and noticeable footprint.

Woo Pig!  :razorback:

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

BirmingHam

OP, do you actually think that CKA is an upgrade from CSP?

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: razorbackkid on January 16, 2016, 12:50:30 pm
Phyllis, an icon on the Paul Finebaum show and a rabid Alabama fan, has much praise for Arkansas and the direction our program is going.

Really? You are using Phyllis as a reason?

That kinda negates the rest of what you said. Sorry.

hogcard1964

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 16, 2016, 11:44:01 am
You cannot be an elite program without elite recruiting classes. So no, we are not going to take the next step. We are 7-9 win program. Some years less, and a few years more.

?

Isn't this true for every program in the country besides Alabama?

razorbackkid

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on January 16, 2016, 01:04:10 pm
Really? You are using Phyllis as a reason?

That kinda negates the rest of what you said. Sorry.

No...not a reason.  Simply stating that such an avid Bama fan who despises every team Alabama plays would publicly give praise to Arkansas, on national television no less, gives a bit of insight to what many of the "enemy" think of the progress of our program.

Perception, in it's proper content, has value.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

MuskogeeHogFan

You cannot be an elite program without elite recruiting classes. So no, we are not going to take the next step. We are 7-9 win program. Some years less, and a few years more.

Won-Loss is from 2007-2015.

2007-2015
                     Avg Rec Class Rank(05-15)    Players to NFL Draft(07-15)            Wins      Losses        Win%
TCU                              51.0                                     22                               89           27           .767
Mich St                          32.7                                     24                               87           33           .725
Wisc                              45.7                                     32                               86           34           .717
Ok St                             31.6                                    14                                83           34           .709
Stan                              33.2                                     28                               83           35           .703
Miz                                35.1                                     26                               81           38           .681
Bay                               48.7                                     22                               68           46           .596

What do all of these teams have in common? Having played at elite levels over the last 4-5 years.

Great recruiting can really help, but you need a system and a staff that can put that talent to work. Speaking of talented players, who has had more NFL draftees since 2007? It isn't Alabama. It's USC with 58 and LSU with 57.

Just saying, it isn't all about recruiting though that is an important part.   

Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

While I appreciate the optimism,  the reality of where we are right now is daunting.   We return most of a terrible Defense and lose the majority of an exceptional Offense.  Nobody seems to have a good answer for our special teams woes. The program is moving in the right direction, but slowly due to a couple of things:

-We play in the SECW where even an average team is pretty darn good.
-One of the major reasons the West is so good is talent and we aren't there yet in terms of recruiting depth.

We have a lot to be excited about.  The coaching staff is on par or ahead of every staff they compete against, which is why we can be competitive in games against more talented teams.  We are building a sustainable program, but it's a slow build.  Our "bottom" was much lower than teams like Georgia who fired a guy averaging 9.5 wins over 15 years. 

CBB has what it takes to stablish the Hogs as a national brand, but it just isn't going to happen as fast as most of us would like to see. 
Poker Porker

razorbackkid

Quote from: The Kig on January 16, 2016, 01:23:23 pm
While I appreciate the optimism,  the reality of where we are right now is daunting.   We return most of a terrible Defense and lose the majority of an exceptional Offense.  Nobody seems to have a good answer for our special teams woes. The program is moving in the right direction, but slowly due to a couple of things:

-We play in the SECW where even an average team is pretty darn good.
-One of the major reasons the West is so good is talent and we aren't there yet in terms of recruiting depth.

We have a lot to be excited about.  The coaching staff is on par or ahead of every staff they compete against, which is why we can be competitive in games against more talented teams.  We are building a sustainable program, but it's a slow build.  Our "bottom" was much lower than teams like Georgia who fired a guy averaging 9.5 wins over 15 years. 

CBB has what it takes to stablish the Hogs as a national brand, but it just isn't going to happen as fast as most of us would like to see. 

We need to build a time machine.  And put money into the Razorback Foundation for genetic engineering and cloning programs....fast tracked.  :)

Torqued pork

Our classes are usually rated high enough to be in the upper half of any other conference, but no better than the lower half of.the SEC.

It's pointless to bring up the success of teams who rarely have to play against the football factories of the SEC.

jimhog

Got to have elite recruits to get to the next level. Presently, we aren't doing it.

jackflash

depends if we can bring the defensive side of the ball up a little

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 16, 2016, 01:45:18 pm
Our classes are usually rated high enough to be in the upper half of any other conference, but no better than the lower half of.the SEC.

It's pointless to bring up the success of teams who rarely have to play against the football factories of the SEC.

Disagree. It points out that it can be done.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: razorbackkid on January 16, 2016, 01:18:02 pm
No...not a reason.  Simply stating that such an avid Bama fan who despises every team Alabama plays would publicly give praise to Arkansas, on national television no less, gives a bit of insight to what many of the "enemy" think of the progress of our program.

Perception, in it's proper content, has value.

Agreed.
That's why I like having a healthy dose of opposing team's posters on here.  Less bias.  More objectivity.  Fresh opinions.

It's too bad that over the last 3-4 years that this board has become much more hostile like little teen boys having a shoving contest.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Torqued pork

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 16, 2016, 01:51:15 pm
Disagree. It points out that it can be done.
When has it been done where 20-30 ranked classes will only put you in the lower 1/2 of their conference year after year after year?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 16, 2016, 02:17:45 pm
When has it been done where 20-30 ranked classes will only put you in the lower 1/2 of their conference year after year after year?

Check out the average of recruiting class rankings for each of those teams conferences since 2007 and let me know.

Anytime teams like that, that play in those conferences, have average recruiting class rankings like that and still have success, it is an indication that it isn't just recruiting rankings that matter. Though a lot of folks want to hang their hat on those rankings, it has been proven time again that it isn't the only thing that matters, nor is it the sole determining factor of success, though it is an important part. If it were all that mattered, Tennessee would have been a world beater in the SEC East since they have an average of a national recruiting ranking of #13.2 from 2005-2015, but that isn't the case. 
Go Hogs Go!

choppedporkextrasauce

not true at all.  ::hornsdown::

Pig Worshipper

Next season is a major rebuilding season for the Hogs. This past season was the season with great potential but we came into the year unprepared in the running game. If we can develop a good quarterback and improve our defense and special teams then in 2017 we will have the potential for our first great season under Coach Bielema. Of course, as fans, we all dream about everything falling into place next year but, if you take a step back and look at next season realistically, 6-8 wins is probably the best we'll do.

Pig In The City

9 wins in SEC West isn't chump change.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 16, 2016, 03:45:01 pm
Next season is a major rebuilding season for the Hogs. This past season was the season with great potential but we came into the year unprepared in the running game. If we can develop a good quarterback and improve our defense and special teams then in 2017 we will have the potential for our first great season under Coach Bielema. Of course, as fans, we all dream about everything falling into place next year but, if you take a step back and look at next season realistically, 6-8 wins is probably the best we'll do.

After winning 6 of our last 7 this season, if we fall back to 7 wins next year, that would be a failure.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 16, 2016, 05:23:00 pm
After winning 6 of our last 7 this season, if we fall back to 7 wins next year, that would be a failure.

I suspect that we will achieve similar results to last year in terms of overall wins and losses (maybe one more win) though we will perform much better early in the season. An early test will be TCU. How we perform there in the 2nd game of the season may dictate how the first half is going to go and whether or not we will be able to hang with Alabama. A&M is already disjointed and I wouldn't be surprised to see us take them down in 2016. Ole Miss will be good again and Auburn should be (and Gus sure hopes) better than last year. Probably 1-1 in those two games. I wouldn't be surprised to see us wrap up the regular season at 7-5/8-4 and win another bowl game to end up 8-5/9-4. Even though progress will have been made with the loss of so many key players, I also predict the "boo birds" will be out early and often.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 16, 2016, 05:38:35 pm
I suspect that we will achieve similar results to last year in terms of overall wins and losses (maybe one more win) though we will perform much better early in the season. An early test will be TCU. How we perform there in the 2nd game of the season may dictate how the first half is going to go and whether or not we will be able to hang with Alabama. A&M is already disjointed and I wouldn't be surprised to see us take them down in 2016. Ole Miss will be good again and Auburn should be (and Gus sure hopes) better than last year. Probably 1-1 in those two games. I wouldn't be surprised to see us wrap up the regular season at 7-5/8-4 and win another bowl game to end up 8-5/9-4. Even though progress will have been made with the loss of so many key players, I also predict the "boo birds" will be out early and often.

That's about how I see it as well.  I think we handle TCU and roll early.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 16, 2016, 07:26:28 pm
Yes, what is "the next step"?

Maybe this?

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

tusksincolorado

WOW...so I guess you are ready to hand over your Razorback Fan Card?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 16, 2016, 08:15:22 pm
Didn't say that. But reality is reality.

Reality is what you make it.  But we are not ready for the next step and I think BErt's days are numbered.

RazorWild

The next step is starting the season in the fashion that we finish it while beating Bama in the process.  That would have us in the drivers seat to win the west in November.  Do I think we can do it? Yes.  Do I think we will? No.

Lake City Hog

Birmingham, yes I do believe that Anderson is an upgrade as a coach.(recruiter may be different) The NFL doesn't hire based on recruiting.

This is not a sour grapes thing, we have had the largest O'Line in all of football for 2 years and been stopped on 3rd and inches several times. Think about this, Skipper(maybe Tretola, not 100% sure) was the lowest rated recruit on our O'Line!

I think that he will improve our technique and he will develop an attitude that breeds success. I would just about take bets that IF we have a field goal blocked next season it won't be due to the O'Line!

BTW, the next step is to not REGRESS due to the loss of a few players.
I loved hearing Anderson say that if you are a tackle at Arkansas you are a tackle. Being 1st team or 2nd team is irrelevant, the #2 guy will bear the exact expectations of the #1 guy! Should that be the philosophy of the O'Line or of the WHOLE team?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RazorWild on January 16, 2016, 08:25:22 pm
The next step is starting the season in the fashion that we finish it while beating Bama in the process.  That would have us in the drivers seat to win the west in November.  Do I think we can do it? Yes.  Do I think we will? No.

Without the personnel losses, maybe, but not with the losses.  We're likely a 6-7 win team next season. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on January 16, 2016, 08:25:56 pm
Reality is what you make it.  But we are not ready for the next step and I think Bret's days are numbered.

OK....so when will this happen, and who is the next HC?

Or do you just like to throw crap on the wall to see if it will stick?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

rtr

January 17, 2016, 09:34:33 am #32 Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:48:46 am by rtr
Sounds like defeatism, not realism. Further you could say that about any program not named Alabama and even they were mired in mediocrity 10 years ago.  We have our toughest games at home.  No hype this year but the Hogs are dangerous.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

The NewEra

For me, the key to a nine win or better season will be centered around how well this team starts.  If we go 4-0 or better then the SEC West better watch out.  There is one constant with Bielema teams and that is they always get better as the season goes on.  Start strong and end stronger will be my battle cry.

Lake City Hog

I can never understand how some of you can be a "fan" yet be so negative. If you could "search" I would ask many of you to check my post history. You would find that I was NOT a big BB fan in year 1, and his coaching in year 1 did NOTHING to change my mind.
Year 2 he made some real strides and I started to see some hope, mostly due to his willingness to make the changes necessary to get better. Then this season we did some really good things.(still a few dumb things) and I am really beginning to believe that he just may be the guy to get us to the upper echelon of the SEC.

2016 is BB's 4th season, the year that sees us playing a much larger number of his recruits, and I EXPECT us to at the very least maintain the current level of success. We have SEC talent at every position, maybe a little thin in depth, and we should be able to play at an SEC level.

Think about this: We will have a 4th year junior at QB, a 6th year senior at RB, a 5th year senior at wideout and a 5th year senior at TE. The "skill" positions are not lacking in any way.
On the O'Line we will have 2 multi-year starters returning, a center that has some SEC PT under his belt add in some combination of Merrick, Allen and Wallace and try to tell me that our O'Line play is going to suffer!

If the O falters this year it won't be because of talent.

rhames

Reality is what you make it.  But we are not ready for the next step and I think Bret's days are numbered.

Lol. 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hoggish1

Well, it's said that all our days are numbered.  But Bret will be here a lot more days than you might like.  Good!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 16, 2016, 08:47:01 pm
Birmingham, yes I do believe that Anderson is an upgrade as a coach.(recruiter may be different) The NFL doesn't hire based on recruiting.

This is not a sour grapes thing, we have had the largest O'Line in all of football for 2 years and been stopped on 3rd and inches several times. Think about this, Skipper(maybe Tretola, not 100% sure) was the lowest rated recruit on our O'Line!

I think that he will improve our technique and he will develop an attitude that breeds success. I would just about take bets that IF we have a field goal blocked next season it won't be due to the O'Line!

I loved hearing Anderson say that if you are a tackle at Arkansas you are a tackle. Being 1st team or 2nd team is irrelevant, the #2 guy will bear the exact expectations of the #1 guy! Should that be the philosophy of the O'Line or of the WHOLE team?

Good post.

I think Anderson will recruit big Chicagoland O-linemen to Arkansas.  If so, he will be a great recruiter as well as a very good technician and motivator.

I started to have my doubts about Pittman in his last year here.

code red

Agreed recruiting has to improve to reach that next level.  That and we can't be losing games we should win.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BirmingHam

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 16, 2016, 08:47:01 pm

Anderson is all conjecture because he has never been the man at a major P5 program.  Pitboss has proved at several stops and was even coveted by Saban when he needed an OL boss.  Let's see CKA's product before we elect him king of the line.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: BirmingHam on January 17, 2016, 02:46:05 pm
Anderson is all conjecture because he has never been the man at a major P5 program.  Pitboss has proved at several stops and was even coveted by Saban when he needed an OL boss.  Let's see CKA's product before we elect him king of the line.

No way.
The King is dead (Pittman).  Long live the King (KA)! 
See?  That's how a real Hogvillian does it!

On a serious note, this board has become super impatient about everything.  It gets old.
His response to me:

LZH

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 17, 2016, 02:34:30 pm
Agreed.  You cannot lose games to the likes of toledo and texas tech. Furthermore,  you cannot keep blowing games against the Aggies. Nobody here thinks that Mississippi State is ready to take "the next step", but the reality is we have lost to them 4 times in a row. Do I like where the program is heading? Yes. But do I think we will be a championship caliber football team next year or the year after? No.

You aren't a real fan. You should be tied down, whipped, and then stripped of your Razorback ties for ever and ever and ever...... or at least until you stop speaking for yourself and get your mind right; which means you are only allowed to say the things that certain people want to hear.

Lake City Hog

Birm, I haven't anointed him anything. You asked if I really thought he would be an upgrade and I stated my opinion. The simple truth is that I have never been as high on Pittman as everyone else.

As far as his recruiting prowess?? Pretty good but not GREAT as some of you act. I think that BB's philosophy helped him to be a better recruiter. He will recruit well at Georgia, a MUCH easier place to recruit to.
Kirkland had a fairly long relationship with BB from his Whisky days.
Skipper was a 3*( I really like him and feel he was undervalued)
Koehler was rated highly, but BB was involved it his recruitment
Tretola was a 3* Juco kid
Pruitt was a 4* but never made it to campus
Wallace may be his best recruit
Ragnow was looking at Wisc, you think he had some familiarity with BB since they were right next door???
Allen basically feel into our laps due to UNC not accepting his transcript
Merrick is another south Florida kid

Over 3 years we offered 112 O'Linemen and averaged signing 3 per year.

I remember way too many 3rd or 4th and real short and us not making it, with the largest O'Line in football. I know that we hear about how few sacks we have given up, but then we ignore that fact that BA threw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack a LOT!

Is Pitt a good O'Line coach? Yep, I would even say very good. Is he the legend that Hogville has built him up to? NOPE! And that is only my opinion and I know exactly what that is worth!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 17, 2016, 03:16:29 pm
Birm, I haven't anointed him anything. You asked if I really thought he would be an upgrade and I stated my opinion. The simple truth is that I have never been as high on Pittman as everyone else.

As far as his recruiting prowess?? Pretty good but not GREAT as some of you act. I think that BB's philosophy helped him to be a better recruiter. He will recruit well at Georgia, a MUCH easier place to recruit to.
Ragnow was looking at Wisc, you think he had some familiarity with BB since they were right next door???

I remember way too many 3rd or 4th and real short and us not making it, with the largest O'Line in football. I know that we hear about how few sacks we have given up, but then we ignore that fact that BA threw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack a LOT!

Is Pitt a good O'Line coach? Yep, I would even say very good. Is he the legend that Hogville has built him up to? NOPE! And that is only my opinion and I know exactly what that is worth!

I really can't disagree with any of this.  I thought our OL got off to a very slow start this year.

My above post was more a joking commentary about how knee-jerk people can be on here.
His response to me:

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 17, 2016, 02:34:30 pm
Agreed.  You cannot lose games to the likes of toledo and texas tech. Furthermore,  you cannot keep blowing games against the Aggies. Nobody here thinks that Mississippi State is ready to take "the next step", but the reality is we have lost to them 4 times in a row. Do I like where the program is heading? Yes. But do I think we will be a championship caliber football team next year or the year after? No.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 17, 2016, 03:16:29 pm

Something that many forget is that if you line up for a predictable run into the middle on 3rd and short and the defense is putting 8 or 9 in the box, it is going to be difficult (yes, even for the biggest O-Line in football) to grind out a few yards yards, especially if your RB isn't running hard and is instead, trying to pick a hole. You can't pick a hole in that situation, most of the time you just have to plow hard into the pile and help push the OL.

The other thing is, most of the time those D-Linemen are coming low, trying to submarine the O-Line to take away their ability to gain a blocking angle, leaving the LB's or walked up DB's to clean up. When it is that tight up front and everyone knows what is coming, and there isn't likely to be a clear cut hole, I prefer a "leaper" at RB because with a hard run and momentum, it is difficult to stop a RB in mid air from gaining a yard or two over the top. I think we saw some of that from J-Will at times, as I recall.

And you know, you don't always have to go with a "mano a mano" offensive set on those downs. Go with a 1 RB set and split your receivers out bringing at least 2 of them on quick slants across the middle, forcing the Secondary to drop back, split out and respect your receivers. Do that and you more likely to see a more traditional set up front on 3rd and short, even if they do try to submarine the O-Line, which they might not do in that particular offensive set.

There is probably too much harping on "the biggest O-Line in all of football", which is done by announcers and fans, not the team or coaches. Folks read or hear that and they suddenly think that each of these kids are superhuman and should be able to line up and move a battleship a yard under these circumstances. Let's keep in mind that opposing defenses are well coached, scout us and our tendencies, are well prepared and have good athletes just as we do.
Go Hogs Go!

cardinalandwhite

Part of the problem is that you have to recruit well to win consistently, and after the dumpster fire that CBB inherited when he came here, he's had to fight an uphill battle to get back on the radar with some big-time players. The way we've finished the last two seasons appears to be paying huge dividends as we're in a position for a HUGE close to this recruiting class and some momentum going into next year (Now he just has to close).

Pulling in some major prospects (as in top 250 players) in the defensive back seven and a major receiving target or two that are not from Arkansas is the next step, IMO. That will, to me, signal the tipping point of getting this machine going.

My thought about our defense last season was that there wasn't a player out there that I would say lacks SEC talent, but we don't have that impact player on D like we do on the offense. If someone on defense emerges this spring as a game breaker, and if we can find the new game breakers on offense, good things can happen. Our offense will rely heavily on a first-year starter at QB along with a green RB stable, save the guy coming off a major neck injury. It's gonna be an interesting season in 2016.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 17, 2016, 05:28:39 pm
Something that many forget is that if you line up for a predictable run into the middle on 3rd and short and the defense is putting 8 or 9 in the box, it is going to be difficult (yes, even for the biggest O-Line in football) to grind out a few yards yards, especially if your RB isn't running hard and is instead, trying to pick a hole. You can't pick a hole in that situation, most of the time you just have to plow hard into the pile and help push the OL.

The other thing is, most of the time those D-Linemen are coming low, trying to submarine the O-Line to take away their ability to gain a blocking angle, leaving the LB's or walked up DB's to clean up. When it is that tight up front and everyone knows what is coming, and there isn't likely to be a clear cut hole, I prefer a "leaper" at RB because with a hard run and momentum, it is difficult to stop a RB in mid air from gaining a yard or two over the top. I think we saw some of that from J-Will at times, as I recall.

And you know, you don't always have to go with a "mano a mano" offensive set on those downs. Go with a 1 RB set and split your receivers out bringing at least 2 of them on quick slants across the middle, forcing the Secondary to drop back, split out and respect your receivers. Do that and you more likely to see a more traditional set up front on 3rd and short, even if they do try to submarine the O-Line, which they might not do in that particular offensive set.

There is probably too much harping on "the biggest O-Line in all of football", which is done by announcers and fans, not the team or coaches. Folks read or hear that and they suddenly think that each of these kids are superhuman and should be able to line up and move a battleship a yard under these circumstances. Let's keep in mind that opposing defenses are well coached, scout us and our tendencies, are well prepared and have good athletes just as we do.

I'm not as worried about the short and 3 due to the reasons you stated.

However, our run blocking through those first 4 games was below average.  Who do you put that on other than the OL coach if you have quality returning starters?

The only other explanation I have is a different playbook moving from Chaney to Enos.

I'm not a pittman hater.  I do believe that our slow start is at least 49% his fault.

I also think he did some good things for this team many aren't willing to concede because if anything, and I mean if anything is true about this board, it's:

''If you'r 'en not fer us, you'se agin' us.''

This board does it with every coach and player almost.
His response to me:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 17, 2016, 05:41:38 pm
I'm not as worried about the short and 3 due to the reasons you stated.

However, our run blocking through those first 4 games was below average.  Who do you put that on other than the OL coach if you have quality returning starters?

The only other explanation I have is a different playbook moving from Chaney to Enos.

I'm not a pittman hater.  I do believe that our slow start is at least 49% his fault.

I also think he did some good things for this team many aren't willing to concede because if anything, and I mean if anything is true about this board, it's:

''If you'r 'en not fer us, you'se agin' us.''

This board does it with every coach and player almost.

Having not been in practice or meetings, all that any of us can do is speculate. But you recall Pittman saying that we were "going sideways" blocking? There was a lot of slanting and stunting in those first few games because opponents were a lot smaller up front and needed to try to maximize their quickness and speed to confuse and defeat the O-Line blocking schemes.

Typically when that occurs, you should already know how to adjust from dedicated assignment blocking to blocking "area', so that no matter where the defense goes, there is going to be a hat on hat getting push upfield. Maybe you are supposed to get your DT, but he goes inside and instead, you have a LB'er filling that hole. That's your man now. We weren't getting that push upfield. I don't know why, but we weren't and that was according to Pittman, who finally remedied that.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Well January has arrived and so have the "realists" to tell us how we suck. I predict 9 wins:

Wins are

La tech
Tcu
Texas st
TAM
Alcon st
Auburn
Florida
MSU
Missouri

Bowl win gets us to 10
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"