Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ragnow

Started by deedster84, January 13, 2016, 05:55:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deedster84

Will Rag stay at guard or move to center? I think Zach Rogers may move into the Center position and be a 4 year starter. IF, his ankle is healthy and holds up. If Rag does stay at guard will he switch sides. I know, conjecture, but I'd like to hear y'all's opinions.

ricepig

Quote from: deedster84 on January 13, 2016, 05:55:45 pm
Will Rag stay at guard or move to center? I think Zach Rogers may move into the Center position and be a 4 year starter. IF, his ankle is healthy and holds up. If Rag does stay at guard will he switch sides. I know, conjecture, but I'd like to hear y'all's opinions.

Rogers played this year, so he'd be a three year starter.

FANONTHEHILL

If Rogers progresses as expected, I imagine Frank will stay where he is.  That would give us Skipper at RT.  Wallace is set to take over at LT. LG will likely be between Merrick, JC transfer Malone, Gibson and Josh Allen. Remember, we use a plug in and play type depth chart.  We don't really use a two deep depth chart, we have a top six or seven and they can all go in multiple spots.  I hear so many talk about lack of depth on the OLine, but last year we were the starting 5 and Wallace.  We will actually have more guys ready to play this year than any other time in Bielema era.  I also imagine it will be like this from now on.  First year guys getting starts (like Kirkland & Skipper) were out of necessity.  Now we can take top level recruits (like Wallace 2014 class & Merrick 2015 class) & throw a redshirt on them and bring them along slower.  That's what Bielema did at Wisconsin and put guys in the NFL.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2016, 05:39:54 am
If Rogers progresses as expected, I imagine Frank will stay where he is.  That would give us Skipper at RT.  Wallace is set to take over at LT. LG will likely be between Merrick, JC transfer Malone, Gibson and Josh Allen. Remember, we use a plug in and play type depth chart.  We don't really use a two deep depth chart, we have a top six or seven and they can all go in multiple spots.  I hear so many talk about lack of depth on the OLine, but last year we were the starting 5 and Wallace.  We will actually have more guys ready to play this year than any other time in Bielema era.  I also imagine it will be like this from now on.  First year guys getting starts (like Kirkland & Skipper) were out of necessity.  Now we can take top level recruits (like Wallace 2014 class & Merrick 2015 class) & throw a redshirt on them and bring them along slower.  That's what Bielema did at Wisconsin and put guys in the NFL.

Spot on

Hoggish1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2016, 05:39:54 am

Exactly right.  This O-line is in great shape.  Those that say otherwise don't understand the game.

Oh, and I'm excited to see what Anderson brings to the table.  Should have a more aggressive and nimble O-line.  emphasis on nimble...

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 14, 2016, 08:46:37 am
Exactly right.  This O-line is in great shape.  Those that say otherwise don't understand the game.

Oh, and I'm excited to see what Anderson brings to the table.  Should have a more aggressive and nimble O-line.  emphasis on nimble...

I mean, I think we'll be fine, but we do need depth.  But anyone who thinks experience doesn't factor into O-line doesn't understand the game, and we will have guys who haven't had much, if any, experience.  Plus the depth behind those guys is downright scary.  So while our 1st team OL is pretty solid, it's completely unproven and behind them is almost nothing.  And that's all from someone who understands plenty about the game.

Arthur pigby sellers.

One potential problem with Ragnow starting guard is that he is also our backup center.  As far as I know we only have 2 centers on the roster and if both of them start then we don't have a back up.  They would have to play the whole game even in blow outs. 

ricepig

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 14, 2016, 11:13:12 am
One potential problem with Ragnow starting guard is that he is also our backup center.  As far as I know we only have 2 centers on the roster and if both of them start then we don't have a back up.  They would have to play the whole game even in blow outs. 

Several others will snap, too.

311Hog

my opinion is something i almost never see anyone mention in these threads.  Being a former Olineman (HS yeah! =) it is honestly more about "fit" and the intangibles of the guys as a unit.  I mean sure physical has it's place but i think the biggest loss is Tretola, mainly because i think he was the guy that held them together. I do not know these guys to know for sure but from what you see and the impression you get it seems he is a really good "fit" probably makes weight lifting at 6 am easier, probably makes all the practice and hard work easier because of his personality and work ethic.

the OLine has to function as a unit the ole "gel" word which ever combination innately functions the best when the heat is on will be the best choice.  Oh and to remain as injury free as possible. 

Biggus Piggus

It will be interesting to see what the new Oline coach decides. The old one thought Ragnow could be great at center. If that conclusion holds, Ragnow will start at center.

I'd be surprised if Skipper did not move back to left tackle, rather than giving Wallace his first start at left tackle when he has been working at right tackle all this time.

The team has plenty of players for the guard positions, but they have to get center and left tackle just right.
[CENSORED]!

AugustaHog

Unless we get an ace JUCO OT (Bolles comes to mind but he seems to be locked in to his Utah commit), I would suspect that our OTs will be Skipper at RT and Gibson/Wallace at the other.  We have been incredibly fortunate over the last couple seasons with our OL health.  There haven't been more than a handful of games missed due to injury.  If that holds this year, we'll be great.  What we have is incredibly high quality.  We lack depth for sure though.  It hasn't come into play so far, but if a couple guys go down we will feel it.  I like an OL of:  Wallace/Gibson, Allen/Merrick/Malone, Rogers, Ragnow, Skipper.  I like that Skip and Frank have experience playing beside each other.  Rogers is a true OC and is an elite prospect.  This gets our best 5 out there IMO.  There are huge battles looming on that left side and thankfully it is battles with very talented guys.  Whoever comes out of that will be ready.  I'm excited to CKA get in there and sort this out.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2016, 11:17:58 am
Several others will snap, too.

This. Not 100% sure how KA will do it. But Pittboss had 4 guys practice snaps I their drills. Last year Tretola, Smoothers, Ragnow and Rodgers all did so.

This year I assume Josh Allen, Rodger, Ragnow and maybe the Freshman for Iowa will do something similar.

Also, I expect Skipper back at LT to atleast start Spring practice.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I just hope they don't burn another redshirt like they did with Rogers this year.  We don't have enough talent to win without some redshirt seniors. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 14, 2016, 02:03:44 pm
I just hope they don't burn another redshirt like they did with Rogers this year.  We don't have enough talent to win without some redshirt seniors. 

They have more talent on the Oline that any other position group based on recruiting rankings. However, we just don't have a lot of numbers there. Which is an issue that started back in the CBP and JLS era when they only had 3 SEC caliber lineman and 2 of theme played the same position (Swanson and Smoothers)

nchogg

Coach Anderson is in a good position. Last season with a new OC and running back coach it took a little time for them to gel. It won't take Coach Anderson as long to gel with the current coaching staff.

razorhog52

Honestly, LT is the key. If Wallace or Merrick can play there, we are golden. Rogers is pencilled in at C. If not we have Ragnow. RT is Skipper. We have Merrick, Allen, Malone, and Ragnow at guard. We are paper thin at tackle though. 

scruf

Quote from: razorhog52 on January 14, 2016, 04:33:48 pm
We are paper thin at tackle though. 
Hardest position to recruit on offense.

HoggusMaximus

ragnow is going to be key next year.