Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where we stand heading into Spring....

Started by AugustaHog, January 13, 2016, 09:49:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AugustaHog

I'm just hashing some things out in my head about where we are going into practice this Spring.  I see a ton of people ticked at the way-too-early top 25s that came out after the CFP title game which mostly did not include the Hogs.  I must say I would have been shocked to see us rated very highly based off of what we lost on O combined with the poor job our defense did this year.  We have talent, it's just lacks game seasoning.  So here's the quick version of what I see the depth chart being as we head to Spring Ball. 
Offense
QB-  Seems like AA is the early favorite, but we all know there is talent behind him.  It will be interesting to see if any of the other guys have really made a leap. 
RB-  RWIII, Kody (if he's here), and Whaley all figure in heavily.  TJ Hammonds will get plenty of touches as well.  Hope to see him on a jet sweep or ten this year.
TE-  Sprink is a lock.  It will be very interesting to see how Enos uses the younger guys this season.  They have game so that's not going to be an issue.  Spring should reveal a ton.
WR-  Hatcher, Reed, Morgan, Cornelius.  Best group of wideouts other than the Adams, Childs, Wright, Cobi group that we've ever had.  No doubt who the top guys are here, we just have to figure out the pecking order behind them. 
OL-  Skipper and Ragnow are starters, but where?  Ragnow can play anywhere and Skipper could slide inside or back to LT if needed.  With a new OL coach it is hard to know just what he likes out of his guys.  Rogers would have to be a favorite to play a bunch and you would think that Malone will get a ton of looks.  Gibson and Wallace may have a serious battle for one of the OT spots and I would have to think Allen and Merrick will have a major say in one of the OG spots, if Ragnow plays OC.  Our 2-deep is very talented, if unproven.  After that it is very thin.  Hopefully, recruiting will provide some depth for us.
Defense
DE-  We have so much quality here it is absurd, but we said the same last year and it took 9 games to actually show up.  Ledbetter and Wise will start to begin this thing.  Beanum is a quality guy as well.  I expect Agim to be playing a ton right away.  Winston is another body that will be good in run-situations as well.  If we get the pressure we did in the final four games, our D will look much better this year.  Also, will Graham and Bell throw their names into the hat for PT.
DT-  Johnson, Froholdt, Jackson, Watts, Winston at times, Ledbetter at times.  We are beefy inside and can really clog some holes.  It's time for guys like Froholdt and Jackson to push the line a little more though.
LB-  Go ahead and pencil in Dre and Ellis.  Nobody is capable of taking those spots.  Out of Harris, Eugene, Williams, Hackett, etc. we have got to find competent depth and a really good starter at the SAM.  Our pass coverage has to improve as well.  Spaight made a big leap in year 2 with Robb Smith, so I'm hopefully that Greenlaw will do the same.  He was awesome for a true FR last year, but still made mistakes at times.  I bet we see those little things cleaned up and him being a dominant force.
CB-  Everybody's back so depth is not an issue.  They have had their moments, both good and bad.  Some of that was scheme related.  I'm hopeful that we develop the nickel like we had with Tevin in 2014.  We really struggled with those crossing routes this season and need to clean that up.  If we can get pressure and help from LBs, this unit will look a lot better.
S-  Liddell, Santos, and Richardson seem to be the favorites for those two spots.  Richardson is a ball hawk and plays his tail off.  I think Ramirez is the most athletic guy, we just have to get him into the right spots.  If we don't get answers here, the whole D will crumble.  We need to find a rock in the back so we can keep the top on opposing offenses.
STs
K-  Hedlund, I guess.  We have to figure out the elevation/hold issues.  We aren't talented enough to give away points over and over.
P-  Baker doesn't have a ton of boom but he is very solid.  If Johnson overtakes Baker, he will have really shined.  Either way is good for us.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

All very good points.

Main thing is that we should be dominate along the DL.  Hopefully, this will lead to us dominanting in the front 7.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

AugustaHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 13, 2016, 09:52:20 am
All very good points.

Main thing is that we should be dominate along the DL.  Hopefully, this will lead to us dominanting in the front 7.
Confused here.  Pretty sure I used proper grammar.  I'm aware that many screw up the dominant/dominate, but not sure how that applies to me. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 13, 2016, 10:06:40 am
Confused here.  Pretty sure I used proper grammar.  I'm aware that many screw up the dominant/dominate, but not sure how that applies to me. 

It doesn't.  That's why I didn't quote you.  Good catch though.
SO tired of seeing such a simple catch.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 13, 2016, 10:06:40 am

I didn't correct you or comment on your usage, but you did screw it up. Dominant is the adjective.  Dominate is the verb.

EFBAB

RebelW

Agim will automatically get PT and I believe Bell will take Winstons spot in the line up.

Biggus Piggus

Offense

QB- It is hard to coach QBs below the top two during the season. But spring gives the opportunity to put everybody in a good light. Prepare for everyone to look good + fans to ignite spurious discussions about who should really be starting. I'm eager to see Town. 

RB- Possibly big problems for spring practice. If Kody Walker isn't there, the available backs will be Denzell Evans and Juan Day. Unclear when Rawleigh Williams will be ready to practice. Good opportunity for Day. Then in August, things will likely be a lot different depending on signing day results.

TE- I have to wonder whether Cantrell, Gragg and O'Grady will all be at this position for the duration. Talented guys with different skills. Sprinkle is unique and ought to have a great season. One wonders how a new QB will use the TEs.

WR- It's hard to decide who is first among Cornelius, Hatcher, Morgan and Reed. Three seniors and a junior. Whoever's behind better get busy learning from them. Arkansas has everything it needs - speed, separation, hands. 

OL- My guess is that the Hogs have their tackles set and just have to determine the interior starters. Added interest from bringing in a new Oline coach, who could see things differently than before. Gotta see how close the mid-term juco signee is to helping.

Defense

DE- Absolutely must improve the pass rush. Starts here, where the Hogs lacked a speed rusher in 2015. Had too many of the same kind of player. Freshmen and redshirts should figure. For part of the season, Wise provided a very good bull rush. Next best guys had two sacks.

DT- Interior line also needs more quickness. Hodge, of all people, led the interior linemen in lost-yardage tackles. Should be interesting to see whether the Hogs change their emphasis in offseason training. Bulk without quickness = waste.

LB- Spring will bring Ellis, Greenlaw, Jackson, Graham, Eugene, Hackett, Harris, Coley contending for PT. Josh Williams won't be ready until August or so. Depth chart should look a lot better than it did last spring. Unclear whether freshmen will help in the fall.

CB- Must get healthy. D.J. Dean was gimpy most of last season, and Floyd couldn't play. Dalton and Pulley should figure in more prominently. Arkansas needed more corners last season than it had.

S- After gaining 20 pounds, Liddell looked slower. I think the Hogs need better speed not bulkier safeties. Have to replace Gaines. Some of the DBs seem to be tweeners stuck between corner and safety. Would like to see guys like Liddell, Ramirez, Richardson, Sykes, Toliver really take to their positions whether it be corner or safety.

STs

K- Hedlund looks good enough to me, if the line doesn't let guys walk right through + the holder is competent. Arkansas had major problems at holder last season.

P- In good shape. Coverage was terrific.

KR/PR - Did alright, would like to see a little more big play potential. Alex Collins had the longest kick return of the season. Dean and Cornelius both had good punt returns (and a big one was called back) but no scores.

Kickoffs - Please, help. Coverage was erratic, and the kickoffs, holy crap. Awful. Arkansas had 11 touchbacks vs. 27 for opponents.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Ranger

Since we have TE depth... Could we switch Cantrell to LB? Do you guys think he would excel at LB?

Atlhogfan1

What is the kicking competition as far as kickoff duties?  Any preferred walkons arriving in August to compete?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AirWarren

Line play on both sides of the ball. Crucial in the SEC.

Linebacker and secondary. Areas that are going to have to see huge improvements by next season.

Better special teams.

GuvHog

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 13, 2016, 09:49:18 am
I'm just hashing some things out in my head about where we are going into practice this Spring.  I see a ton of people ticked at the way-too-early top 25s that came out after the CFP title game which mostly did not include the Hogs.  I must say I would have been shocked to see us rated very highly based off of what we lost on O combined with the poor job our defense did this year.  We have talent, it's just lacks game seasoning.  So here's the quick version of what I see the depth chart being as we head to Spring Ball. 
Offense
QB-  Seems like AA is the early favorite, but we all know there is talent behind him.  It will be interesting to see if any of the other guys have really made a leap. 
RB-  RWIII, Kody (if he's here), and Whaley all figure in heavily.  TJ Hammonds will get plenty of touches as well.  Hope to see him on a jet sweep or ten this year.
TE-  Sprink is a lock.  It will be very interesting to see how Enos uses the younger guys this season.  They have game so that's not going to be an issue.  Spring should reveal a ton.
WR-  Hatcher, Reed, Morgan, Cornelius.  Best group of wideouts other than the Adams, Childs, Wright, Cobi group that we've ever had.  No doubt who the top guys are here, we just have to figure out the pecking order behind them. 
OL-  Skipper and Ragnow are starters, but where?  Ragnow can play anywhere and Skipper could slide inside or back to LT if needed.  With a new OL coach it is hard to know just what he likes out of his guys.  Rogers would have to be a favorite to play a bunch and you would think that Malone will get a ton of looks.  Gibson and Wallace may have a serious battle for one of the OT spots and I would have to think Allen and Merrick will have a major say in one of the OG spots, if Ragnow plays OC.  Our 2-deep is very talented, if unproven.  After that it is very thin.  Hopefully, recruiting will provide some depth for us.
Defense
DE-  We have so much quality here it is absurd, but we said the same last year and it took 9 games to actually show up.  Ledbetter and Wise will start to begin this thing.  Beanum is a quality guy as well.  I expect Agim to be playing a ton right away.  Winston is another body that will be good in run-situations as well.  If we get the pressure we did in the final four games, our D will look much better this year.  Also, will Graham and Bell throw their names into the hat for PT.
DT-  Johnson, Froholdt, Jackson, Watts, Winston at times, Ledbetter at times.  We are beefy inside and can really clog some holes.  It's time for guys like Froholdt and Jackson to push the line a little more though.
LB-  Go ahead and pencil in Dre and Ellis.  Nobody is capable of taking those spots.  Out of Harris, Eugene, Williams, Hackett, etc. we have got to find competent depth and a really good starter at the SAM.  Our pass coverage has to improve as well.  Spaight made a big leap in year 2 with Robb Smith, so I'm hopefully that Greenlaw will do the same.  He was awesome for a true FR last year, but still made mistakes at times.  I bet we see those little things cleaned up and him being a dominant force.
CB-  Everybody's back so depth is not an issue.  They have had their moments, both good and bad.  Some of that was scheme related.  I'm hopeful that we develop the nickel like we had with Tevin in 2014.  We really struggled with those crossing routes this season and need to clean that up.  If we can get pressure and help from LBs, this unit will look a lot better.
S-  Liddell, Santos, and Richardson seem to be the favorites for those two spots.  Richardson is a ball hawk and plays his tail off.  I think Ramirez is the most athletic guy, we just have to get him into the right spots.  If we don't get answers here, the whole D will crumble.  We need to find a rock in the back so we can keep the top on opposing offenses.
STs
K-  Hedlund, I guess.  We have to figure out the elevation/hold issues.  We aren't talented enough to give away points over and over.
P-  Baker doesn't have a ton of boom but he is very solid.  If Johnson overtakes Baker, he will have really shined.  Either way is good for us.

I really don't believe any QB has the edge going into spring practice. I wouldn't be surprised to see Enos start from scratch with all QBs even and let one of them earn the #1 position regardless of experience.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Lake City Hog

Really? Do we want our offense to "start from scratch" this season?
Should we do that with the tight ends? Should we do that with the O'Line or the D'Line?

Let's just look at the top out potential of every guy and start him out as the starter in Spring practice and let things work out from there.

Guys, we have VERY limited practice time and if we spend that time giving every kid at every position equal practice time to try and find out which kid is the best we lose. We simply have to settle on a #1 and #2 guy very quickly and give them the bulk of the reps because there are only so many reps to be had. Fair? Probably not, but if we spend over half the spring trying to find out the hierarchy it will surely hurt us in the long run.

GuvHog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 13, 2016, 05:00:39 pm
Really? Do we want our offense to "start from scratch" this season?
Should we do that with the tight ends? Should we do that with the O'Line or the D'Line?

Let's just look at the top out potential of every guy and start him out as the starter in Spring practice and let things work out from there.

Guys, we have VERY limited practice time and if we spend that time giving every kid at every position equal practice time to try and find out which kid is the best we lose. We simply have to settle on a #1 and #2 guy very quickly and give them the bulk of the reps because there are only so many reps to be had. Fair? Probably not, but if we spend over half the spring trying to find out the hierarchy it will surely hurt us in the long run.

You've got to be kidding me. The Hogs have a Tight End returning who is for all purposes a starter and played a great deal this last season so no, they aren't going to start from scratch there.

As for the Offensive line there are 2 returning starters so yes the other 3 spots will be up for grabs.

As for the QB's, all of the returning QBs played very, very few if any snaps this year so yes, it's likely they'll start from scratch.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pudgepork

Tight ends usually are similar to lbs in size and athletic ability, minus the mean streak.  Its much more common to move a te
To tackle.    Can make a very mobile athletic tackle

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 05:32:59 pm
You've got to be kidding me. The Hogs have a Tight End returning who is for all purposes a starter and played a great deal this last season so no, they aren't going to start from scratch there.

As for the Offensive line there are 2 returning starters so yes the other 3 spots will be up for grabs.

As for the QB's, all of the returning QBs played very, very few if any snaps this year so yes, it's likely they'll start from scratch.

I don't think coaches with Bret Bielema's overall philosophy start from scratch in the Spring when the starting QB moves on.  The second string QB with seniority becomes the presumptive starter.  That doesn't mean he's guaranteed the job, but he's rewarded for his commitment, plus, he's taken more reps in practice and games. 

There's a reason this approach has been followed by so many coaches for so many years.  It works.  Kids grow and mature quickly from 18 to 23.  They get better with superior coaching.  Rewarding commitment encourages commitment.  It's the fair thing to do.  In the end, QB's stick around because they know they'll get their chance when it's their turn, and they know they need to be ready if the guy ahead of them goes down.

If the heir apparent is not productive, he'll be replaced, but not after the first interception.  And that's the way it should be in the long-term interest of the team as a whole.  That doesn't mean everyone, including the coaches, isn't looking forward to seeing who looks best in the Spring.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Iwastherein1969

One thing I've watched about Bielema over the years is that the O line has a tendency to vary little in talent. Some years he'll have a super star but basically you get the same product each season. No worries there. The D line and DE's are as stocked as I've seen since 1977-78. The linebackers are good but not great and their weakness is they lack foot speed and their strength is that they have experience which could make up for a lack of athleticism.

Now comes the problem. And it falls at one position and one position only and I'm making no great revelation in saying we are going to suffer at the position of QB, particularly at the beginning of the season. My sincere hope is that Ricky Town is what USC thought he was when they recruited him and Rafe Peavey is what we thought he was when we recruited him. Younger brother neither has the arm nor the footspeed of older brother at QB and I just can't see him taking over for his older brother without us losing quite a bit in ability and leadership. Peavey is a fine athlete and maybe if he earns the majority of the reps at QB his passing will improve with the work because Rafe can hurt the other team with his legs, the kid is a top shelf athlete.

Summing this up, we are in great position up and down the D-line, we are solid but not spectacular at LB, our secondary is middle-tier SEC type talent, serviceable, but not exceptional. The O line will not miss a beat once they gel. Sprinkle is as talented as Henry at TE except he's just one, we need another kid to step up at that position. The RB's will be surprisingly good even without Collins. Whaley, Williams III and Kobe will get the job done. Here comes the 64,000 dollar question mark. Who is going to step up at QB and get the job done well enough for us to contend in the SEC West ? If Peavey or Town turn out to be the genuine article, I see 10-3 to 11-2, if they are not, I see 6-6 which would be a step back for Coach Bielema.  We shall see in about 8 months or so, as Tennessee Earnie Ford used to say, "If the good Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise."
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 13, 2016, 06:42:23 pm
One thing I've watched about Bielema over the years is that the O line has a tendency to vary little in talent. Some years he'll have a super star but basically you get the same product each season. No worries there. The D line and DE's are as stocked as I've seen since 1977-78. The linebackers are good but not great and their weakness is they lack foot speed and their strength is that they have experience which could make up for a lack of athleticism.

Now comes the problem. And it falls at one position and one position only and I'm making no great revelation in saying we are going to suffer at the position of QB, particularly at the beginning of the season. My sincere hope is that Ricky Town is what USC thought he was when they recruited him and Rafe Peavey is what we thought he was when we recruited him. Younger brother neither has the arm nor the footspeed of older brother at QB and I just can't see him taking over for his older brother without us losing quite a bit in ability and leadership. Peavey is a fine athlete and maybe if he earns the majority of the reps at QB his passing will improve with the work because Rafe can hurt the other team with his legs, the kid is a top shelf athlete.

Summing this up, we are in great position up and down the D-line, we are solid but not spectacular at LB, our secondary is middle-tier SEC type talent, serviceable, but not exceptional. The O line will not miss a beat once they gel. Sprinkle is as talented as Henry at TE except he's just one, we need another kid to step up at that position. The RB's will be surprisingly good even without Collins. Whaley, Williams III and Kobe will get the job done. Here comes the 64,000 dollar question mark. Who is going to step up at QB and get the job done well enough for us to contend in the SEC West ? If Peavey or Town turn out to be the genuine article, I see 10-3 to 11-2, if they are not, I see 6-6 which would be a step back for Coach Bielema.  We shall see in about 8 months or so, as Tennessee Earnie Ford used to say, "If the good Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise."

Good assessment overall, but I think Austin Allen might surprise you.  There's plenty of high school film to look at, and when he's had the chance to play for the Razorbacks he's been productive. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

majestic

AA has better arm strength and "footspeed" than BA. 
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

QB is our most questionable position but has the most talent returning, though it is untapped.  I would love to see the staff break up the team and practice at different times during Spring so that each player can get far more time in front of the coaches eyes.  You could bring them all together for the later part of Spring practice but by then you would know far more about what each player can do.  If we just operate the standard 1:45 to 2:00 hours practice with everyone there, it is highly unlikely the QBs especially, will get the opportunity to prove themselves.

I assume the practice time limits is for the players and the coaches can be on the field as long as they wish.  If we really want to know what this team is made of, then we need to find a way to actually see the Kids practice in their environment as much as possible.

AugustaHog

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on January 13, 2016, 10:12:04 am
I didn't correct you or comment on your usage, but you did screw it up. Dominant is the adjective.  Dominate is the verb.

EFBAB
Hmm maybe I'm missing it, but don't think I used either the verb or adjective.  For Christ's sake, this is a football forum.  I'm not sure why the grammar Nazis want to harass people.  Does it make you feel awesome for pointing out a mistake or even possibly someone not being smart enough to use a word properly.  If we were in class and you were a teacher, that might make sense.  On here it just makes you people look petty and classless. 

Lake City Hog

69, why do you hope that RT is "all USC thought he would be"? Why not TS or RP or even AA? Believe it or not TS and RT came out in the same class and were rated very nearly dead even.

I think about the day Nolan was announced as HC at Arkansas and how excited I was. Why? Because I found out that same day that Nolan had WON a Juco NC and WON the NIT. That told me that he had coached in BIG games and knew how to win them. What does that have to do with our QB situation??

Both TS and AA led their HS teams to back-to-back State Championships, they have both played in and won the biggest games of their careers. They are the only QB's on campus that can say that.

Oklahawg

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on January 13, 2016, 11:14:35 am
Since we have TE depth... Could we switch Cantrell to LB? Do you guys think he would excel at LB?

We are bringing in another TE for a recruiting weekend visit. 6-7 x 220. Could be that Cantrell has agreed to move to LB? FB?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 13, 2016, 10:06:31 pm
69, why do you hope that RT is "all USC thought he would be"? Why not TS or RP or even AA? Believe it or not TS and RT came out in the same class and were rated very nearly dead even.

I think about the day Nolan was announced as HC at Arkansas and how excited I was. Why? Because I found out that same day that Nolan had WON a Juco NC and WON the NIT. That told me that he had coached in BIG games and knew how to win them. What does that have to do with our QB situation??

Both TS and AA led their HS teams to back-to-back State Championships, they have both played in and won the biggest games of their careers. They are the only QB's on campus that can say that.
Please go back and read my post. I said that I hope Rafe Peavy turns out to be the type of QB we thought when we recruited him. Let's get real here. USC has, at least the vast majority of the time have recruited what most recruiting analysts would agree are better high school quarterbacks than the UA. This is not indictment against the UA its just a fact that California has quarterback talent oozing out the sides in their high school football programs and I hope we got the one (Ricky Town) that got away.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: majestic on January 13, 2016, 07:13:49 pm
Has your quest to disagree with every post I make left you drooling in your tomato soup ?  Your following me around like a little puppy has seemingly taken what little mojo you once had. It has become a sad event to watch.

TNRazorbacker

The only people expecting us to be preseason top 25 are the same ones predicting pie in the sky results every year just to act shocked and confused when it doesn't pan out.

The painful reality is this was our up year- and barring the epic egg lay early in the season we would have had a 10 win year. Next season we lose a very good Sr QB (this one will hurt worst), our best RBs, best TE in the nation, and best o lineman. What we have replacing this production is almost a complete question mark. TE is really the only position where we return any proven equitable talent to fill these gaps. Combine this with a D that was somewhere between mediocre and bad all year long and only the most devout sunshine pumpers would expect preseason top 25 recognition.

Granted we do have some young talent in queue that should be serviceable. Almost every other SEC school has the same or better though. This fact seems most frequently ignored in pie in the sky prognostications.

In any case the spring should be interesting just seeing what pans out. Its been a while since we had this many unanswered questions at key skill positions going into an offseason.

mitchforheisman

You know who else recruits better QBs (typically above Arkansas' QB record)? Alabama, Tennessee, and Notre Dame. All of which offered AA. I don't think any of them are/were concerned with his last name like everyone who is crowing Town the second coming. Austin took over his brothers 10-4 high school team, took them to the state championship 2 years in a row, won MVP of both games, Gatorade player of the year, semper fi all American game starter, and elite 11 finalist. You know what he didn't do? Entertain offers from other schools, or leave when he ended up being the 3rd string QB regardless of what chaos was happening at USC. He knew their scheme when he signed to play there.

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 14, 2016, 12:23:18 am
Please go back and read my post. I said that I hope Rafe Peavy turns out to be the type of QB we thought when we recruited him. Let's get real here. USC has, at least the vast majority of the time have recruited what most recruiting analysts would agree are better high school quarterbacks than the UA. This is not indictment against the UA its just a fact that California has quarterback talent oozing out the sides in their high school football programs and I hope we got the one (Ricky Town) that got away.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mitchforheisman on January 14, 2016, 05:19:57 am
You know who else recruits better QBs (typically above Arkansas' QB record)? Alabama, Tennessee, and Notre Dame. All of which offered AA. I don't think any of them are/were concerned with his last name like everyone who is crowing Town the second coming. Austin took over his brothers 10-4 high school team, took them to the state championship 2 years in a row, won MVP of both games, Gatorade player of the year, semper fi all American game starter, and elite 11 finalist. You know what he didn't do? Entertain offers from other schools, or leave when he ended up being the 3rd string QB regardless of what chaos was happening at USC. He knew their scheme when he signed to play there.

From 2007-2014 LSU (yes, unbelievably, LSU), USC and Texas A&M each had 3 QB's drafted. Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Notre Dame are among a long list of schools who had 2 drafted.

A lot of folks are excited about Town because of his high school credentials. AA has somewhat similar credentials though I am not certain that the level of competition that he faced in Arkansas can be compared to what Town faced in California. That still doesn't mean that Town will out-perform AA who has had the benefit of being here for 2 years now. It's great that these kids had stellar HS careers, but that was HS, not the SEC.

Personally, I don't care that AA didn't entertain offers from other schools. It makes you hope that he has spectacular success here, but it has nothing to do with his ability to perform at this level.

I have no favorites in this race. Let's just have a legit QB competition and let the cream rise to the top. The best thing about this is that we have some very talented QB's and competition always makes everyone better. We'll see how this all plays out.
Go Hogs Go!

PorcineSublime

Quote from: majestic on January 13, 2016, 07:13:49 pm
Still not sure where that comes from. Everything I have read of AA coming out of HS and many places since not named Hogville have said Austin had a stronger arm, maybe not as accurate, but hopefully Enos can fine tune that. As for foot speed and reading defenses/judgment, I have no idea.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2016, 11:31:46 am
What is the kicking competition as far as kickoff duties?  Any preferred walkons arriving in August to compete?

It's odd that the Hogs have problems at the kicker and special teams positions.  These seem to be areas we always excelled at.

DeltaBoy

We need a return of the Bermuda Triangle from 2 years ago. Version 2.0
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

majestic

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 14, 2016, 12:27:08 am
Has your quest to disagree with every post I make left you drooling in your tomato soup ?  Your following me around like a little puppy has seemingly taken what little mojo you once had. It has become a sad event to watch.
And your quest to be offended has made you even loopier. I didn't really even notice it was you who made the (wrong) assertion. Tard on, three bills!
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hawgXi

speaking of spring, I've looked all over UoA website, whole hog, google, and can't find spring football schedule or date of spring game.

anybody help me?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 01:14:42 pm
I really don't believe any QB has the edge going into spring practice. I wouldn't be surprised to see Enos start from scratch with all QBs even and let one of them earn the #1 position regardless of experience.

Uh, nope.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgXi on January 14, 2016, 09:25:58 am
speaking of spring, I've looked all over UoA website, whole hog, google, and can't find spring football schedule or date of spring game.

anybody help me?

Likely the last weekend in April. That has been CBB's habit so far. If ESPN calls that could change.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

If I understand correctly, AA has a stronger arm but hasn't acquired the accuracy of BA. His foot speed is slower, but not sure that means his footwork is better or worse. It would take a remarkable turn of events for him to not start from play #1, and keep the #1 job.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 14, 2016, 11:35:20 am
Likely the last weekend in April. That has been CBB's habit so far. If ESPN calls that could change.

We are home in baseball for both the 16th and 30th, both possibilities. The baseball game on the 30th against aTm is a 2pm ESPN2 game, so hard to change that. When was the last time for a night Spring game, have we ever had one? We're some of those in LR night games, I can't remember.

razorbacksnum1

You don't lose HH, BA, AC, and three lineman and not miss a beat. We will struggle next year offensively that is a ton of talent gone. I think by the end of the season the offense will be much better but I think early on will be a struggle.

Hey Super

I mean, Brandon Allen, Jonathan Williams, Hunter Henry, Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland.....all gone. Not to mention our defense was nothing to write home about.

I would have been shocked to see us even at 25.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

jkstock04

Quote from: GuvHog on January 13, 2016, 01:14:42 pm
Zero chance GUV. Enos has already come out and said Austin has separated himself so far from the other qbs it's not close. Any qb "controversy" will be 100% fan generated and nothing factually based.

I see this as unfortunate but that's the way it is. Only competition this spring (minus Austin Allen injury) will be for the #2 spot.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

scorekeeper

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think we will be okay. None of these players leaving should have been unexpected. AA has been the backup for a while he should know the playbook and take command of the huddle. An elite freshman running back should be able to come in and produce. Sprinkle should be able to fill into Hunters role and one of the 3 TE's that were recruited last year should be able to step into Sprinkles role. The offensive line will be inexperienced but those guys will have a while to work the problems out. We might post a better record next season because Enos should know his players better along with a more experienced defense.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 14, 2016, 12:41:06 pm
Zero chance GUV. Enos has already come out and said Austin has separated himself so far from the other qbs it's not close. Any qb "controversy" will be 100% fan generated and nothing factually based.

I see this as unfortunate but that's the way it is. Only competition this spring (minus Austin Allen injury) will be for the #2 spot.

And......that's because Austin was getting a tremendous amount of snaps compared to the other guys. It stands to reason he is/was far ahead of the others. He will start spring as the #1 and will need to maintain it, which I expect he will.

HoGFromTheStart

I know that I do not have much insight on all of this but AA did not start for a reason... with that said I really hope all the Qbs get a fair chance.
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

AugustaHog

Unless Allen is head and shoulders beyond a doubt ahead of the others, there has to be a competition.  Even if it is only between the top two.  If there is no competition, there is no drive to get better.  We need the eventual winner to be pushed hard.  I'm fine with that competition ending if the spring is decisive.  I certainly don't want the top two to lose important reps to the #3/4 QBs.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 14, 2016, 07:48:45 am
It's odd that the Hogs have problems at the kicker and special teams positions.  These seem to be areas we always excelled at.

Amen we been know for the Best Kickers, Punters and Special Teams for years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

swinemaster

Quote from: mitchforheisman on January 14, 2016, 05:19:57 am

I understand you may be rooting for the hometown boy.  But why would you say anything negative about Town?  He's a Razorback.  We get an elite recruit from California and you want to say something ignorant about him?  This is where he wanted to be.  Why can't people be happy that he's here?

News flash.  He was at USC for about a week.  They had a 3 year starter returning.  There was no QB decisions made regarding true freshman Ricky Town at that point.  Know the facts before you say something dumb about the kid.

Some fans want us to have top 10 recruiting classes.  To do that, we will have to recruit players from great distances and get them to come here.  If this is how we treat outsiders, why would they come here?

lumphog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 13, 2016, 10:06:31 pm

Great post

nchogg

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 14, 2016, 06:09:47 am
Still not sure where that comes from. Everything I have read of AA coming out of HS and many places since not named Hogville have said Austin had a stronger arm, maybe not as accurate, but hopefully Enos can fine tune that. As for foot speed and reading defenses/judgment, I have no idea.
Remember when Coach put Austin to finish a game and eat clock and instead he threw a TD pass. I look forward to the competition at QB and may the best win.

Hogs-n-Roses

Real thin on experienced OL. Lots of names and size with the soph/jr./sr. classes though. 8 with little experience and then the guys coming in. Looks like a big question mark.
Tight end much the same. Sprinkle then lots of highly recruited possibilities. 7 of them with ranges in size from230-255. Good lookin bunch. little experience.
WR-possible SEC best.
RB- you call it. RWIII,Kody Walker both the tops, both questionmarks. J. Day,evans?, newcomers ?at best.

DL-ridiculous-13 coming back 9 seniors n juniors along with some talented youth and experience from top to bottom.
Back 7- LB's are lhin as can be, Safeties n corners look bad to me. We must have DL push or it will be a long, long, year.
Last year this bunch gave up 149 points to 3 teams in the middle of the schedule.We even won 2 of those games in shootouts. I hate shootouts. Our QB play improved so dramatically in those games that we got wins but leaves you with the idea that a team with a QB,(Kelly/Prescott) could shread us.

QB-You tell me. How many snaps did another QB take last year?,Can Town come in and be like Kelly did at Ole Miss.? Ty?
Questionmark at best.

Special teams.
I sweat out all kickoffs. I sweat out extra points and field goals. Punting looks pretty good. Coverage is scary.Punt return and kick off return look pretty good.

The Kig

I don't care who the starting QB is, as long as he gives us the best opportunity to win.  I actually shuddered when I read the "time in service" philosophy of just giving it to AA because he has been here longest and should be rewarded for commitment.  What we do have on campus is an array of several good HS QB's and none of them have proven anything at the collegiate level.  So many people seem to have agendas supporting one QB over another. 

If AA wins the job, he has all my support.  Same thing if RP, RT, TS etc wins it.  The infighting among Hog fans will be a raging inferno if their guy doesn't get a reasonable shot at an open spot. 

What would be ideal coming out of Spring would be for the coaches to be able to say the lights went on for _________ and we are in good hands because everything just clicked for him.  Having someone heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack will be important if we are going to be competitive and have a shot at a bowl next year.
Poker Porker

mitchforheisman

I didn't say anything negative about him. It's a fact that he commited to Alabama, then changed his mind and enrolled in the spring (he completed fall practices, not sure why you're saying he was there a week), and after going through part of fall camp, he lead all QBs in interceptions thrown (source: http://www.scout.com/college/usc/story/1575034-ricky-town-transfers-from-usc), and then decided to leave. If this comes off as negative, I apologize, I'm just stating facts.

My frustrations with Town (and I was very excited when I heard he was transferring as it gives us a potential great QB for even further in the future) is that since he landed everyone (an overwhelming majority) has had the USC stars in their eyes, stating that Austin now doesn't have the arm, or the foot speed. The sad thing is, AA had arguably better stats than Town in high school.

Austin - 233 of 366   passes (64.6) for 3,565 yards 29 td's and 5 interceptions
Town - 192-of-290 passes (66.2%) for 2,639 yards and 28 TDs with just 3 interceptions

They had almost identical offer sheets, and they both played high school football at a high level. AA won 2 state championships and mvp of both. Town lost in the playoffs when they had to play in a tougher division than they played normally.

So, take USC out of the picture, and I just don't see how anyone could say that he will beat AA in the spring or fall as the better QB.

Quote from: swinemaster on January 14, 2016, 01:30:30 pm
I understand you may be rooting for the hometown boy.  But why would you say anything negative about Town?  He's a Razorback.  We get an elite recruit from California and you want to say something ignorant about him?  This is where he wanted to be.  Why can't people be happy that he's here?

News flash.  He was at USC for about a week.  They had a 3 year starter returning.  There was no QB decisions made regarding true freshman Ricky Town at that point.  Know the facts before you say something dumb about the kid.

Some fans want us to have top 10 recruiting classes.  To do that, we will have to recruit players from great distances and get them to come here.  If this is how we treat outsiders, why would they come here?