Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Allen

Started by lamont7906, January 13, 2016, 05:37:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dionysos25

Ya'll think we're gonna put a bad QB on the field next year? Given that we have 4 qbs with 4 star ratings coming out of high school. I don't think we will. Don't really care who it is, the likelyhood that we won't find someone to run the offense with what we have in the lockeroom, is slim to none.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

scruf

If Austin wins the QB competition you'll see the usual cast of idiots claiming nepotism.

PorkRinds

I don't care who the best QB is, I just want another Allen at the helm for nostalgia. 

ricepig

Quote from: Dionysos25 on January 15, 2016, 12:10:53 am
Ya'll think we're gonna put a bad QB on the field next year? Given that we have 4 qbs with 4 star ratings coming out of high school. I don't think we will. Don't really care who it is, the likelyhood that we won't find someone to run the offense with what we have in the lockeroom, is slim to none.

Brandon Harris was a 4*.............I suspect 99.9% don't care who the starter is, the other .01% post on HV.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: scruf on January 15, 2016, 12:47:14 am
If Austin wins the QB competition you'll see the usual cast of idiots claiming nepotism.

I beg to differ -- I think that cast of idiots is VERY UNUSUAL.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

theFlyingHog

Quote from: The Kig on January 14, 2016, 11:34:38 pm
You forgot the Town'ies and Storey Time camps...

Put me squarely in the camp that wants the best QB to get the job.  Doesn't matter where he came from or how ALLsome he was against the 18 and under teams.  With the tools that the QB will have at WR and TE, he can light up the sky.
No I didn't forget them. They're part of the "best QB" group.  ;)

Pork Twain

I am pretty excited about our QB play going forward.  For AA and TS, this will be their 2nd year learning under Enos and RT will have also had a lot of time under him.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hei5manhog

I think we should start the best qb for every game and then just play duwop against alabama.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 09:27:35 am
Brandon Harris was a 4*.............I suspect 99.9% don't care who the starter is, the other .01% post on HV.
We have 4 of them, with 3 having offers from Alabama. Besides, Brandon Harris was a 4* under Les Miles. He doesn't exactly have the best track record at developing QBs. I would say Tyler Wilson coming back for his senior season equates to a 5*, and we saw what a terrible coach did with him.

I don't see any way that we do not have at least one quality QB next season. Something like 5 of the last 6 championship winners were won by a 1st year QB. Not saying we are going to win the title, but pointing out when you have as many highly recruited QBs on campus as we do, 1 is bound to succeed, and do it right away.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on January 15, 2016, 01:35:59 pm
We have 4 of them, with 3 having offers from Alabama. Besides, Brandon Harris was a 4* under Les Miles. He doesn't exactly have the best track record at developing QBs. I would say Tyler Wilson coming back for his senior season equates to a 5*, and we saw what a terrible coach did with him.

I don't see any way that we do not have at least one quality QB next season. Something like 5 of the last 6 championship winners were won by a 1st year QB. Not saying we are going to win the title, but pointing out when you have as many highly recruited QBs on campus as we do, 1 is bound to succeed, and do it right away.

The point was that being a 4* QB doesn't make you a lock, we'll have growing pains next season, no doubt.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 14, 2016, 05:55:55 pm
I'm convinced.
Those great records and Championships up at Fayetteville mean notta. Before Springdale split into 2 high schools, Fayetteville won 3 games against Springdale in 30 years. I like the Allens, but every town with schools in that conference have split schools into 2. Except for the most populated city which kept one for a reason.

scruf

Quote from: IronMountainHog on January 15, 2016, 01:43:44 pm
Those great records and Championships up at Fayetteville mean notta. Before Springdale split into 2 high schools, Fayetteville won 3 games against Springdale in 30 years. I like the Allens, but every town with schools in that conference have split schools into 2. Except for the most populated city which kept one for a reason.
Fayetteville winning has a lot more to do with the school making the football program a priority over the last 20 years than it does other districts splitting their schools.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 01:38:33 pm
The point was that being a 4* QB doesn't make you a lock, we'll have growing pains next season, no doubt.

A lot of, in not most teams will have growing pains next year.

The critical issue is just now bad those growing pains will be.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jvanhorn

Quote from: scruf on January 15, 2016, 01:54:18 pm
Fayetteville winning has a lot more to do with the school making the football program a priority over the last 20 years than it does other districts splitting their schools.

Really?  So cutting your available talent by 50 per cent doesn't have any effect on how good a team is?  My guess is they went from having one excellent team to having two good teams.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: scruf on January 15, 2016, 01:54:18 pm
Respectfully disagree. They have stepped up their commitment, but every team they play is watered down. Bentonville will once again prove me right.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 15, 2016, 02:05:13 pm
Really?  So cutting your available talent by 50 per cent doesn't have any effect on how good a team is?  My guess is they went from having one excellent team to having two good teams.
Springdale has 3 high school football teams. Rogers has 2. Bentonville now has 2. Fort Smith has 2. Fayetteville has 1. Yeah, makes sense lol.

ricepig

Quote from: IronMountainHog on January 15, 2016, 02:10:56 pm
Springdale has 3 high school football teams. Rogers has 2. Bentonville now has 2. Fort Smith has 2. Fayetteville has 1. Yeah, makes sense lol.

Shiloh is a lot more than just Springdale, lol.  Also, check out the student population numbers of the top 16 schools, vs their winning %.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 03:11:26 pm
Shiloh is a lot more than just Springdale, lol.  Also, check out the student population numbers of the top 16 schools, vs their winning %.

Just checked Fayetteville vs. Springdale, and enrollment is virtually the same.  In public high school football, demographics of the district is a big factor in success as well, but that and enrollment are the two most important factors over time. 

Another factor currently having substantial impact on public high school athletics around the country is poaching by private schools.  My guess is poaching is having a substantial negative impact on public high school football in Little Rock.  Full scholarships for the best athletes unable to pay hefty tuition rates has changed the landscape in Middle Tennessee over the last ten years.  Not sure how this affects NWA public schools or which schools suffer the most.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 15, 2016, 01:02:05 pm
I am pretty excited about our QB play going forward.  For AA and TS, this will be their 2nd year learning under Enos and RT will have also had a lot of time under him.

Not sure whether you forgot Peavey or discounted him.

I doubt many fans care who starts as long as he plays well.  Each QB has a HUDL highlight reel near the top of the first page of a Google search.  A quick look at each should allay any fears about the quality of QBs in the Razorbacks pipeline.  It's never been like this in the history of Arkansas football.  Enjoy it and hope it continues.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 15, 2016, 03:34:04 pm
Just checked Fayetteville vs. Springdale, and enrollment is virtually the same.  In public high school football, demographics of the district is a big factor in success as well, but that and enrollment are the two most important factors over time. 

Another factor currently having substantial impact on public high school athletics around the country is poaching by private schools.  My guess is poaching is having a substantial negative impact on public high school football in Little Rock.  Full scholarships for the best athletes unable to pay hefty tuition rates has changed the landscape in Middle Tennessee over the last ten years.  Not sure how this affects NWA public schools or which schools suffer the most.

I'm not sure what your definition of "virtually" is, but Springdale has 2440.33 in this classification cycle, that represents 9th-11th enrollments for the previous two years. Fayetteville has about 20% less with 1993. By the way, Springdale Har-Ber has 2151, and the split Bentonville schools will have 1630 each.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 03:45:27 pm
I'm not sure what your definition of "virtually" is, but Springdale has 2440.33 in this classification cycle, that represents 9th-11th enrollments for the previous two years. Fayetteville has about 20% less with 1993. By the way, Springdale Har-Ber has 2151, and the split Bentonville schools will have 1630 each.

My definition of virtually is most likely the same as yours.  Maybe Wikipedia has the wrong number for Springdale.  It shows you number for Fayetteville but just under 1900 for Springdale.

Otherwise, what is your point? I was agreeing with you to begin with. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 15, 2016, 04:01:05 pm
My definition of virtually is most likely the same as yours.  Maybe Wikipedia has the wrong number for Springdale.  It shows you number for Fayetteville but just under 1900 for Springdale.

Otherwise, what is your point? I was agreeing with you to begin with. 

My numbers come from the AAA, that's all. I guess I'll pay you virtually your hourly rate if I ever need an entertainment lawyer, haha. My point is that school  size doesn't always play into competitiveness. Also, Springdale will soon open a third high school as their elementary numbers are off the chart. The third high school will be a Vo-tech type and not have sports, or so I'm told.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 04:07:34 pm
My numbers come from the AAA, that's all. I guess I'll pay you virtually your hourly rate if I ever need an entertainment lawyer, haha. My point is that school  size doesn't always play into competitiveness. Also, Springdale will soon open a third high school as their elementary numbers are off the chart. The third high school will be a Vo-tech type and not have sports, or so I'm told.

Numbers  don't always equate to better football, but all other things being equal, a school with 2500 students will consistently beat a school with 1500 students, at least in public school football.

I thought you were responding to the suggestion above, at least I think it was a suggestion, that Fayetteville is better now because it's bigger than everyone else.  My point was that it didn't look bigger to me when I checked. 

OPoraquê

Quote from: secneahog on January 13, 2016, 08:26:04 am
Austin Allen won the big games at Fayetteville High and BA didnt. That's about the only difference.  The two guys can really spin it. When I would hang out with ba in Fayetteville, he was very outspoken, but cool dude. AA was quiet but down to earth. I'm sure by now Austin is a man. BB wanted him to work on being loud in the huddle, being a leader. I think he achieved that in 2015. Should be ready to take the leading spot.

But ......Ricky Towns is throwing balls with Ryan Mallett trying to get better.  Already throwing to keon hatcher.  Could get fun in spring ball.

Brandon Allen's part of history now, but in his senior year he had to face (twice, once in the state championship game) an undefeated Bentonville team that some services have ranked as the best high school football team in Arkansas in the "2010s".  (I know there might be some question whether the team in the year 2010 should be included in this decade chronologically but I won't pick at that nit.)  "Bennie" finished #21 in the nation and 13-0 that season...at one point in the sc game they were down to FHS by two scores.  Most of Fayetteville's best defensive players (who would go on to dominate their next two years) were sophomores.  AA's junior year team were absolutely decimated by a great Bentonville 2011 team in the regular season, then improved enough to beat Bentonville on a nifty trick play (borrowed from BHS Coach Lunney) in the 2011 sc game, then in 2012 barely lost in the regular season to a BHS team with a slightly lower offense (their sophs on offense, much like Fay's on defense in 2010, would go on to win the '13 and '14 state championships) but a TREMENDOUS defense, and beat BHS by a larger margin in the '12 sc game.  BA as a three-year starter set career passing yardage and TD records AA couldn't get to, but Allen, the younger shattered BA's season TD and passing yardage records his senior year.

Apparently AA was slightly shorter than his older bro per discussion here earlier as well as the official Arkansas football roster this past season.  BA was a Scout 4-star; AA only made 3-star in that and Rivals, I believe.  (Seriously, I was surprised AA wasn't a Parade all-American.)  This will be fun to watch.

oldhawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 04:07:34 pm

Will the high school age kids attending the vo-tech school have an opportunity to play football with one of the other high schools?  I've seen this arrangement at a school district in Florida.

ricepig

Quote from: oldhawg on January 15, 2016, 04:45:11 pm
Will the high school age kids attending the vo-tech school have an opportunity to play football with one of the other high schools?  I've seen this arrangement at a school district in Florida.

That I don't know, I don't think either the high school or it's parameters are set in stone just yet.

At least on paper, this is the best group of QB talent that Arkansas has ever had at one time.  I am very surprised that BB has amassed this much talent at one time.  We are not quarterback U and BB isn't the QB coach of the universe.  We appear to be just plain lucky to have 2 of these Guys from Arkansas and another from very close by in MO.  Town came here for some reason so I guess he likes the coaches or some hot coed. 

Unless the staff makes some special arrangements to practice these Guys at different times during Spring practice, there isn't much chance we will ever see the best these Guys have to offer.  Just isn't enough time if they all try and practice in the same 2 hour allowed time period.  Given equal and plentiful time, this could be a Spring unlike any other ever at the old U.  We've never had this much talent at any position at one time.  Maybe at TE, we've had similar talent but I doubt that.

deedster84

Everyone is missing the big picture here. We are deep at QB. All are very talented. When is the last time so many high quality QBs were in a depth chart like ours. Not concerned about that position in the least.

HiggiePiggy

Only thing that concerns me is overall experience on offense next year.  It does help that we have a lot of talent coming back at TE and receivers.  The running game and Oline is in question and the qb is small questions, but with an actual qb coach/OC it doesn't bother me as much on qb.  If they can click pretty quick then I won't be surprised at all with a 9 win season next year.   I still stick with 7 as my expectations for the 2016 season though.  2017 should be a 9+ win season. 

The defense and special teams is the biggest question since they both were not very good this year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bphi11ips

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 16, 2016, 10:29:07 am
Only thing that concerns me is overall experience on offense next year.  It does help that we have a lot of talent coming back at TE and receivers.  The running game and Oline is in question and the qb is small questions, but with an actual qb coach/OC it doesn't bother me as much on qb.  If they can click pretty quick then I won't be surprised at all with a 9 win season next year.   I still stick with 7 as my expectations for the 2016 season though.  2017 should be a 9+ win season. 

The defense and special teams is the biggest question since they both were not very good this year. 

The schedule sets up better in 2016.  If we post a big win early against TCU, we could easily be undefeated at home against Alabama.  TCU replaces more on offense than we do.  Will we see the Kenny Hill who opened against South Carolina in 2014 or the one who was benched later that year?  Will he even be the starter? 

In spite of losing 4 offensive players at least to the draft, we have quality replacements at every position ready to step up.  Lack of film of the new QB could help early.  2016 could be a very good year for the Hogs.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 16, 2016, 10:43:22 am
The schedule sets up better in 2016.  If we post a big win early against TCU, we could easily be undefeated at home against Alabama.  TCU replaces more on offense than we do.  Will we see the Kenny Hill who opened against South Carolina in 2014 or the one who was benched later that year?  Will he even be the starter? 

In spite of losing 4 offensive players at least to the draft, we have quality replacements at every position ready to step up.  Lack of film of the new QB could help early.  2016 could be a very good year for the Hogs.

I agree.  I believe 2017 is potentially the year when we compete for that SECC, but I am leaning toward another step in that direction in 2016.

For the first time since CBB's arrival we won't be breaking in any new coordinators, and I'm hopeful with the schedule we pointed out we'll be able to start well for a change.

RebelW

Everybody wants another BA.. They don't think we have it with 4 4*... BA was a 3 * and people hated him the first 2 1/2 years.  Given if he had Enos BA would've been developed way earlier than he was. With talent we have and Enos on the sideline, he will put a product on the field that is worthy of HV expectations

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: 12247 on January 15, 2016, 05:15:57 pm
At least on paper, this is the best group of QB talent that Arkansas has ever had at one time. I am very surprised that BB has amassed this much talent at one time.  We are not quarterback U and BB isn't the QB coach of the universe.  We appear to be just plain lucky to have 2 of these Guys from Arkansas and another from very close by in MO.  Town came here for some reason so I guess he likes the coaches or some hot coed.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 13, 2016, 07:45:10 am
It is amazing what a very good QB coach can do.  This isn't meant as a knock on Chaney, just that we were trying to force him a square peg into a round hole with him.  Enos is a QB himself and really understands not only mechanics, but also the psyche of being a QB.  We have talented guys on campus.  I hope we see one or more of those guys blossom under Enos's tutelage the same way BA did.

pretty sure Chaney was the round peg and it was the hole that was square, knowhutimsayin?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

lumphog

VERY EXCITED.....to see AA take over. He's stepped up behind big brother his whole life.... And, EXCELLED!!! to another level. Why do you think he won't do it again???   HE WILL!!!!

deedster84

Right now, CBB says it's Austin, Rafe, Ty, then Ricky. Says that could all change though.

PorkRinds

Quote from: deedster84 on January 16, 2016, 01:59:19 pm
Right now, CBB says it's Austin, Rafe, Ty, then Ricky. Says that could all change though.

Interesting. I like that Rafe is competing. Lots of folks counting him out.

Potosihog

A lot of us have been singing Enos praises.  His play calling was very fluid and good.  BA's improvement was astronomical.  I'm just curious as to whether it was BA maturing plus Enos or if Enos is good enough to have that kind of impact on his own.

I believe in Enos and what he is doing.  I just hope we don't see a year on offense like we did on defense this year.  RS was the d-whisperer last year.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Potosihog on January 16, 2016, 08:36:21 pm
A lot of us have been singing Enos praises.  His play calling was very fluid and good.  BA's improvement was astronomical.  I'm just curious as to whether it was BA maturing plus Enos or if Enos is good enough to have that kind of impact on his own.

I believe in Enos and what he is doing.  I just hope we don't see a year on offense like we did on defense this year.  RS was the d-whisperer last year.

Probably both.  Most players get better as they get older. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Potosihog on January 16, 2016, 08:36:21 pm

I have worried about this as well. However, CDE has a lot more talent coming back on offense than CRS did on defense for the 2015 season IMO.  Thats not to say we won't see a drop off, but it shouldn't be the monumental step back that we saw on D this year.  Plus, the defense should be much better next year, which will help tremendously.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon