Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clemson's OLINE had 5 new starters

Started by HogFather1, January 12, 2016, 02:35:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFather1

For everyone fretting over us having to replace 3 people on the OLINE...
I'm pretty sure I heard the announcers saying last night that Clemson had replaced 5 starters on their OLINE this year and they had a decent year.

The Hogfather

I believe they had a freshman left tackle.

root_hawg

Biggus Piggus

Their whole defensive line also had to be replaced.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Clem recruiting classes ranked according to Rivals:

2012 = 14
2013 = 14
2014 = 13
2015 = 4

Much higher than the ACC average. 

24/7 -

2012 = 15
2013 = 15
2014 = 17
2015 = 8

It helps to be able to recruit consistently well especially compared to most of your competition in reloading. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

redeye

Scary to think of all that young talent at Clemson.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on January 12, 2016, 02:57:58 pm
Scary to think of all that young talent at Clemson.

and a former Hog hired the coach there.............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 12, 2016, 03:12:49 pm
and a former Hog hired the coach there.............................
Yeah, somebody should buy Terry Don Phillips a drink or dinner or new car or something. Made one of the boldest and most successful picks as football coach, in the middle of a season, the kind of pick that rarely ever works out.

Bryant Disciple

With Deshaun Watson at QB, they just needed 5 warm bodies.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: HogFather1 on January 12, 2016, 02:35:01 pm
I'm pretty sure I heard the announcers saying last night that Clemson had replaced 5 starters on their OLINE this year and they had a decent year.

Sounds good I'm done worrying! Our line will be the best!!!

HogFather1

The linemen that are stepping in are all highly rated guys who have been in our system for several years. They aren't really newbies.
As far has having a deep bench at the OLINE position, CBB doesn't seem to play the backup linemen anyways, so it doesn't matter for now.
Even if we had a full roster of 20 offensive linemen, the 5 he picks to be starters will be the same 5 that play almost every snap the whole season and the other 15 would just be riding the bench.  They don't seem to rotate in fresh players at that position like they do at other positions.
As long as there aren't any injuries on the OLINE this year, it won't be an issue. Those 5 starters are going to be the ones getting 99% of the snaps anyways.

Potosihog

Quote from: HogFather1 on January 12, 2016, 03:54:21 pm
The linemen that are stepping in are all highly rated guys who have been in our system for several years. They aren't really newbies.
As far has having a deep bench at the OLINE position, CBB doesn't seem to play the backup linemen anyways, so it doesn't matter for now.
Even if we had a full roster of 20 offensive linemen, the 5 he picks to be starters will be the same 5 that play almost every snap the whole season and the other 15 would just be riding the bench.  They don't seem to rotate in fresh players at that position like they do at other positions.
As long as there aren't any injuries on the OLINE this year, it won't be an issue. Those 5 starters are going to be the ones getting 99% of the snaps anyways.

Practice young grass hopper, practice.  As has been mentioned on here MULTIPLE times.  The lack of depth hurts worse because practice is weakened when competition is weakened.  At this point CKA may have to suit up to have enough bodies.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HotlantaHog on January 12, 2016, 03:19:16 pm
Yeah, somebody should buy Terry Don Phillips a drink or dinner or new car or something. Made one of the boldest and most successful picks as football coach, in the middle of a season, the kind of pick that rarely ever works out.
And that of course would be the same Terry Don Phillips who along with brother Lloyd played for the Hogs back in the mid 60s........

daBoar

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on January 12, 2016, 03:25:00 pm
With Deshaun Watson at QB, they just needed 5 warm bodies.
This.
He can pass. He can run. He has solid RBs.  The three-option game is what separates from the chaff.  What he didn't have was a Saban.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: daBoar on January 12, 2016, 06:28:31 pm
This.
He can pass. He can run. He has solid RBs.  The three-option game is what separates from the chaff.  What he didn't have was a Saban.

Yep with out Watson they have a 8 win season at best.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AirWarren

Clemson also is right smack dab in the middle of a great recruiting base.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Clemson is a new, dominate program.
They will dominant in the up coming years.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HogFather1 on January 12, 2016, 02:35:01 pm
d line

PP

scorekeeper

Clemson has playmakers all over the field. You would have to wonder about the outcome if they didn't have 2 injuries on defense. OJ Howard's TD were to the side of the backup CB. Shaq Lawson still made a decent impact on the game. Clemson will be a force in years to come.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

dhizzle

We have also heard from other oline recruits they wanted to go to a spread team because it is easier.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 13, 2016, 10:22:51 am

Jesus . . . enough is enough.  Yes, that common mistake really bugs me too.

But you've made similar sarcastic posts in several threads now.  Message sent.

Time to let it rest for a while . . .  don't you think?

;)

snoblind

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 12, 2016, 04:43:55 pm
And that of course would be the same Terry Don Phillips who along with brother Lloyd played for the Hogs back in the mid 60s........

And the same Terry Don Phillips who would have been our AD if Frank would have retired in the early 90's like he should have.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 13, 2016, 10:22:51 am

4 of the 5 new Clemson Offensive Line starters this season already had some prior playing experience at Clemson.  The only 1 that had none is True Freshman Offensive Left Tackle, Mitch Hyatt.  Hyatt was a 5 Star, and he was the #2 ranked OT in the nation coming out of High School.  Hyatt has textbook footwork.

Clemson will be losing only 3 starters on Offense from their starters on Monday night (Left Guard, Right Tackle and a Wide Receiver).  Of those 3, the only question mark at the moment in regards to a replacement will be the Left Guard position.

Provided Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd don't leave early for the NFL, Clemson will be losing only 2 starters on Defense from their starters on Monday night (a Defensive Tackle and Middle Linebacker).  There is no question mark in regards to a replacement for that DT and MLB position.  Even if Lawson and Dodd leave early, there is no question mark regarding a replacement at the Defensive End positions.

Offensively, they have the potential to be better next season than this season.  Watson at QB and Gallman at RB will be returning, but where they will be better is at the Wide Receiver position.  They have a 6'5" 4 Star ranked WR committed, and if Deon Cain (who was a 5 Star) gets his act together and is playing next season, those 2 will be with Artavis Scott and the other numerous 4 Star ranked WRs they have.  Also they have a 5 Star ranked All Purpose Back committed.

Defensively, they will be better at the Defensive Tackle position because they have 5 Star ranked Dexter Lawrence committed.  At Middle Linebacker, I presume the replacement for B.J. Goodson at MLB will be 4 Star Tre Lamar.  Goodson is 6'1" 250 lbs., but Lamar is 6'4" 240 lbs., so they would be a little lighter at the MLB position.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 13, 2016, 02:42:20 pm
4 of the 5 new Clemson Offensive Line starters this season already had some prior playing experience at Clemson.  The only 1 that had none is True Freshman Offensive Left Tackle, Mitch Hyatt.  Hyatt was a 5 Star, and he was the #2 ranked OT in the nation coming out of High School.  Hyatt has textbook footwork.

Clemson will be losing only 3 starters on Offense from their starters on Monday night (Left Guard, Right Tackle and a Wide Receiver).  Of those 3, the only question mark at the moment in regards to a replacement will be the Left Guard position.

Provided Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd don't leave early for the NFL, Clemson will be losing only 2 starters on Defense from their starters on Monday night (a Defensive Tackle and Middle Linebacker).  There is no question mark in regards to a replacement for that DT and MLB position.  Even if Lawson and Dodd leave early, there is no question mark regarding a replacement at the Defensive End positions.

Offensively, they have the potential to be better next season than this season.  Watson at QB and Gallman at RB will be returning, but where they will be better is at the Wide Receiver position.  They have a 6'5" 4 Star ranked WR committed, and if Deon Cain (who was a 5 Star) gets his act together and is playing next season, those 2 will be with Artavis Scott and the other numerous 4 Star ranked WRs they have.  Also they have a 5 Star ranked All Purpose Back committed.

Defensively, they will be better at the Defensive Tackle position because they have 5 Star ranked Dexter Lawrence committed.  At Middle Linebacker, I presume the replacement for B.J. Goodson at MLB will be 4 Star Tre Lamar.  Goodson is 6'1" 250 lbs., but Lamar is 6'4" 240 lbs., so they would be a little lighter at the MLB position.
This is great information. Everyone at Clemson I talked to this year was surprised at how good this team was given its obvious holes and inexperience, and was looking at 2016 to be the year the team would be really good.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HotlantaHog on January 15, 2016, 08:01:23 am
This is great information. Everyone at Clemson I talked to this year was surprised at how good this team was given its obvious holes and inexperience, and was looking at 2016 to be the year the team would be really good.

2016 Clemson is going to be scary good.  They will be better offensively than they were this season because Watson will have more high level Wide Receiver options who he can get the ball to than Watson had this season.

Defensively, if they have incoming 5 Star Defensive Tackle, Dexter Lawrence (who is now the #2 overall ranked player in the nation), playing a lot at the same time with 5 Star Defensive Tackle, Christian Wilkins, then it is going to be extremely difficult for opposing Offenses to run the ball against those 2 DTs.  Wilkins will be a Sophomore, and he got a lot of playing experience as a True Freshman.

Really, the only team I see keeping it somewhat close in 2016 against Clemson is Florida State.  That is primarily because that game will be in Tallahassee, and because FSU will have some speed on their Defense.  In fact, FSU's Defense did better against Clemson this season than did Alabama's Defense (23 points compared to 40 points).

With that said, FSU is going to have to get a lot better at the Quarterback position.  Dalvin Cook rushed for 194 yards against Clemson's Defense in 2015, but Clemson held FSU to only 13 points.  Cook shouldn't expect to get that many yards against Clemson's Defense in 2016.  A FSU QB is going to have to be able to make some plays against a Clemson Defense that will be better in 2016.