Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I hope Coach B and the staff took notice last night......

Started by hogz11, January 12, 2016, 11:06:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

For as good and talented as Bama is, did anyone catch what Saban said right before he flashed a rare smile in the postgame interview? He talked about the onside kick, kick return TD, etc and said SPECIAL TEAMS was the difference. Going into next season, special teams is my #1 concern. It needs almost an entire overhaul. Saban is clearly one of the all time great coaches and we clearly saw the two best teams in the country battle all night for a national title yesterday. And Saban was right, special teams is what gave Bama the edge to grind out the win. I have confidence in our coaching staff but special teams was just a mess this year. Hope it gets fixed.......

Atlhogfan1

A big part of ST's is depth.  We are still working on building it. 

Bama's PK has been a mess and handicap in some seasons. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NuttinItUp

KennyForAD

Quote from: hogz11 on January 12, 2016, 11:06:00 am
For as good and talented as Bama is, did anyone catch what Saban said right before he flashed a rare smile in the postgame interview? He talked about the onside kick, kick return TD, etc and said SPECIAL TEAMS was the difference. Going into next season, special teams is my #1 concern. It needs almost an entire overhaul. Saban is clearly one of the all time great coaches and we clearly saw the two best teams in the country battle all night for a national title yesterday. And Saban was right, special teams is what gave Bama the edge to grind out the win. I have confidence in our coaching staff but special teams was just a mess this year. Hope it gets fixed.......

Jimmy Johnson always said that Special Teams are equal to Offense and Defense.  One third of effort devoted to special teams.   

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 12, 2016, 11:10:36 am

Yeah, they play several starters on ST's, and their backups on there are 4*/5*. We play several starters ourselves, but the backups aren't the same level.

Hoggish1

You are right.  Something I've always preached.  How can 1/3rd of the game ever be overlooked?

KennyForAD

Yes ... but, the kicking game is not an afterthought, or just an opportunity for backups to get in the game, either. 

hoglady

Yes but if your backups aren't good enough to execute your special teams plays properly, then you've just got to suck it up and play your starters.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 12, 2016, 11:17:12 am
Yes ... but, the kicking game is not an afterthought, or just an opportunity for backups to get in the game, either.
Didn't say it was. 

Quote from: hoglady on January 12, 2016, 11:19:08 am
Yes but if your backups aren't good enough to execute your special teams plays properly, then you've just got to suck it up and play your starters.
We do.  Depth includes starters. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AloRaptor

Since he was on tv watching the game and commenting on it,chances are he noticed. :o

David Brent

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 12, 2016, 11:16:34 am
You are right.  Something I've always preached.  How can 1/3rd of the game ever be overlooked?

It's not.  No college coach in America overlooks it.  Just because the field goal and kick off teams were poor this year doesn't mean special teams were overlooked.  We don't have a Kenyan Drake returning kicks, doesn't mean they aren't trying to find one.  I can guarantee there have already been discussions about fixing the correctable issues and the only other thing to do is recruit better players.  I'm sure they're working on that too.

They damn sure didn't learn the importance of special teams last night from Saban and Alabama.

David Brent

Quote from: hoglady on January 12, 2016, 11:19:08 am

We do.

Hogsmo Kramer

Our ST's weren't just kind of bad this year they were atrocious.

No excuse for the ineptitude we showed this year in that phase of the game.

It must be fixed if we want to move forward.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

KennyForAD

... It is definitely 1/3, if not more.  Add up field position, potential yards gained or lost, and points from FG's and extra points.  Add in increased potential for turnovers in kicking game: Muffed punts, big hits, blocked kicks, onside kicks...

We beat Ole Miss in regulation if we could kick a FG.  We beat Miss State if our line could block on FG's.  We beat KState by 40 if we could kick off deep, and not give them outrageously good starting field position - better than if we had kicked OB every time.

David Brent

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 12, 2016, 11:31:29 am
Our ST's weren't just kind of bad this year they were atrocious.

No excuse for the ineptitude we showed this year in that phase of the game.

It must be fixed if we want to move forward.

Outside of field goal and kick off what was atrocious? What could have been done to make those two better?  Do you think they tried those things?

code red

Quote from: hogz11 on January 12, 2016, 11:06:00 am
I agree but....our defense is not SEC quality defense either.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pulled(PP)pork

anyone notice he uses his first string offense guys a lot on st?

PP

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: David Brent on January 12, 2016, 11:29:55 am
It's not.  No college coach in America overlooks it.  Just because the field goal and kick off teams were poor this year doesn't mean special teams were overlooked.  We don't have a Kenyan Drake returning kicks, doesn't mean they aren't trying to find one.  I can guarantee there have already been discussions about fixing the correctable issues and the only other thing to do is recruit better players.  I'm sure they're working on that too.

They damn sure didn't learn the importance of special teams last night from Saban and Alabama.

One of the easiest things to do on ST's is to block for field goals and we were horrible at it.

If we were focusing as much on ST's as we should and what we saw is the outcome then we've got some serious issues.

I refuse to believe our coaches are that inept so to me that means ST's were overlooked to an extent and it caught up to us.

I also hope and believe it will be fixed this offseason.

Atlhogfan1

Statistically, little difference in many areas vs Bama's ST's this season:

KO return - 1 yard per return difference
KO coverage - 1 yard per return difference, Bama with more touchbacks
Net punting - less than 1 yard difference
Punt return defense - Hogs 4 yards per return better than Bama and Bama gave up 2 PR TD's
Punt returns - Hogs +1 yard vs Bama (Hogs finished 15th in college football, Bama 20th)
Blocked punts allowed - Hogs 1 Bama 2
Blocked kicks allowed - Hogs 5 Bama 3  - an area that needs to be fixed

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: code red on January 12, 2016, 11:37:18 am
Some but not many...and it shows....esp on kickoff cover....we are slow.
Other than the Tennessee return TD, our kickoff coverage was pretty good this year.  I mean, when your kicker only kicks it to the 5-10 yard line but you can still have opponent average starting field position around the 25...coverage did their job well.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: code red on January 12, 2016, 11:36:07 am
I agree but....our defense is not SEC quality defense either.

LBs and DBs - Where our program struggles to recruit play a big role in kick coverages.  In the return game, we had wr injuries and RB injuries which are the positions along with DB where you get your returners.  STs is a part of this rebuild just like the O and D.  Doesn't mean the staff doesn't realize its importance. 

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: David Brent on January 12, 2016, 11:35:07 am
Outside of field goal and kick off what was atrocious? What could have been done to make those two better?  Do you think they tried those things?

Well let's see you've got KO, KR, P, PR, and the FG unit for ST's.

Both KO and FG were horrible and that's 40% of ST's with one in particular being a major contributor on how teams score points, in FG's.

Our return game, minus a couple decent returns, wasn't exactly lighting it up either and our inability to block on FG's cost us at least one game against MS State which effected our bowl bid and overall record.

Our KO team was so bad we gave the ball to K State at the 35 or better the entire game and missed a FG there as well due to crappy blocking.

If you wanna gloss over how bad our ST's were be my guest, but make no mistake close games are often decided by ST's play, or the lack thereof, and if we wanna take a step forward they have to be shored up.

David Brent

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 12, 2016, 11:36:49 am
One of the easiest things to do on ST's is to block for field goals and we were horrible at it.

If we were focusing as much on ST's as we should and what we saw is the outcome then we've got some serious issues.

I refuse to believe our coaches are that inept so to me that means ST's were overlooked to an extent and it caught up to us.

I also hope and believe it will be fixed this offseason.

I'm sure you truly do believe that, so I won't waste my time.  I'll just tell you that you are dead wrong.

You also might consider looking at the comparison of our special teams and Bama's above. 

Atlhogfan1

Bama blocked 6 kicks this season.  Hogs 2.

Bama blocked 3 punts.  Hogs 1. 

Athletic and depth difference at DL, LB and DB.

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 12, 2016, 11:45:49 am

Both KO and FG were horrible and that's 40% of ST's with one in particular being a major contributor on how teams score points in FG's.

Our return game, minus a couple decent returns, wasn't exactly lighting it up either and our inability to block on FG's cost us at least one game against MS State which effected our bowl bid and overall record.

Our KO team was so bad we gave the ball to K State at the 35 or better the entire game and missed a FG there as well due to crappy blocking.

If you wanna gloss over how bad our ST's were be my guest but make no mistake close games are often decided by ST's play or the lack thereof and if we wanna take a step forward they have to be shored up.

It was a choice vs K St because of their KR.  They were 12th in college football in KR including 4 KR TD's. 

code red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 12, 2016, 11:44:51 am
LBs and DBs - Where our program struggles to recruit play a big role in kick coverages.  In the return game, we had wr injuries and RB injuries which are the positions along with DB where you get your returners.  STs is a part of this rebuild just like the O and D.  Doesn't mean the staff doesn't realize its importance. 
That is so true.  I never said they didn't I just think at this point you got to stock pile it with starters and let the chips fall where they may...until we build some depth.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: code red on January 12, 2016, 11:50:31 am
That is so true.  I never said they didn't I just think at this point you got to stock pile it with starters and let the chips fall where they may...until we build some depth.

Who were our starters at LB and DB?  The talent and depth there isn't where it needs to be for defense let alone ST's.  I have no doubt our head coach understands ST's importance and will continue to work on improving them.  He'll get FG protection fixed. 

code red

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on January 12, 2016, 11:41:05 am
Other than the Tennessee return TD, our kickoff coverage was pretty good this year.  I mean, when your kicker only kicks it to the 5-10 yard line but you can still have opponent average starting field position around the 25...coverage did their job well.
If you watch the K state game....you can tell we are slow down the field and Mstate just sat up shop at the 35-40 all night long.

David Brent

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 12, 2016, 11:45:49 am

Both KO and FG were horrible and that's 40% of ST's with one in particular being a major contributor on how teams score points in FG's.

If you wanna gloss over how bad our ST's were be my guest but make no mistake close games are often decided by ST's play or the lack thereof and if we wanna take a step forward they have to be shored up.

Do you bother reading?  That tells me pretty much all I need to know about your ability to actually understand what we're talking about.

1. I said kickoff and field goal were atrocious.
2. I asked what could have been done to change that? 
3. Do you think they didn't try those things? (I'm sure you actually do)
4. Sure, we would all like a Kenyan Drake returning kicks, but we didn't have one.  Does that mean we ignored special teams?
5. I have no doubt the blocking issues will be fixed.  We haven't had those problems in the past.  the rest you have to fix by continuing to add better players.
6. My original point was that every coach in America knows special teams are important.  Do you think you just came up with that novel idea all by yourself today?  Some things you can fix during the season (I have no doubt they worked on blocking), some things you can't (better kickers and returners).

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: David Brent on January 12, 2016, 11:48:02 am
I'm sure you truly do believe that, so I won't waste my time.  I'll just tell you that you are dead wrong.

You also might consider looking at the comparison of our special teams and Bama's above.

Well I played both HS and college and was on the FG blocking unit for both, so I know first hand that blocking on those units isn't that difficult.

Get your head out of the sand. You don't need a group of 5 stars to field serviceable ST's units, you need to dedicate ample time to fundamentals in those areas.

The fact that most other areas got better as the season progressed and our KO and FG units didn't should tell you something.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 12, 2016, 11:55:51 am
Well I played both HS and college and was on the FG blocking unit for both, so I know first hand that blocking on those units isn't that difficult.

Get your head out of the sand. You don't need a group of 5 stars to field serviceable ST's units, you need to dedicate ample time to fundamentals in those areas.

The fact that most other areas got better as the season progressed and our KO and FG units didn't should tell you something.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

code red

Bottom line.  Its easy to see deficiency's on any college football program...when compairing them to Bama.

Atlhogfan1

We had some issues this season which need to be fixed.  That doesn't equate to the coaching staff doesn't understand ST's importance or came to some realization last night. 

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

David Brent

Yep. We didn't have a very good kicker.

Congratulations on your football career. 

bigdaddyhawg

Wow, the genius of some fans!!  So brilliant to discover a HUGE area of the game our experienced coaching staff has completely overlooked!!  Very impressive!!

/sarcasm off

The plays Bama made last night were as a result of excellent coaching, but were executed by great athletes.  You think that KO would have been returned for a TD if that guy hadn't been an absolute burner?  Do you really believe that onsides kick recovery wasn't in a large part because the kid who "recovered" it was a great athlete??

If you pay much attention to CFB at freaking all, it's pretty easy to see Bama has kids playing special teams who would be stud starters for Arkansas.  That's a function of their overall talent level in their 85.  WE'RE NOT THERE YET!!  We probably won't EVER get to their talent level, but IMO we can get closer than we are now.

It's a heck of a lot easier to play great special teams when you've got great athletes who are highly motivated to get on the field, even to play a handful of plays each game.

And, BTW, for the freaking record, their FG kicker missed what could have been a HUGE 3 points.  There were many times last night it looked like that missed FG could be the difference in the game.  I wonder if the Bama coaching staff just stopped coaching on that FG attempt??
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

David Brent

Quote from: Wildhog on January 12, 2016, 12:02:01 pm
How about we compare them to the rest of the FBS?

FG% - 113th in the country
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category07/sort01.html

Avg Kickoff Distance- 104th in the country
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category29/sort01.html

Touchback % - 118th in the country
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category29/sort04.html

Those are the areas we've already acknowledged were poor. My point is you can only do so much during the season to fix having an inadequate kicker.  I just don't think being poor in those areas means we ignore special teams and our coaches needed Bama to show how important they are.  Some people truly believe that though.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on January 12, 2016, 12:02:01 pm
How about we compare them to the rest of the FBS?

FG% - 113th in the country
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category07/sort01.html

Avg Kickoff Distance- 104th in the country
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category29/sort01.html

Touchback % - 118th in the country
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category29/sort04.html

The lack of leg strength with the kickoffs was a glaring weakness.  Hopefully that job will be open for competition in the Spring and more options will be available by next season. 

Deep Shoat

Our KO unit wasn't actually that bad.  Opponents averaged starting field position around the 25.  We managed that without having a kicker who can get touchbacks.  Sounds like decent coverage to me.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: David Brent on January 12, 2016, 12:03:50 pm
Yep. We didn't have a very good kicker.

Congratulations on your football career.

The kicker, while an issue in itself, wasn't the problem with the missed FG's against MS State and K State the blocking up front was.

It was an issue prior to those games and both teams knew it could be exploited, which they did.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 12, 2016, 12:10:49 pm
Our KO unit wasn't actually that bad.  Opponents averaged starting field position around the 25.  We managed that without having a kicker who can get touchbacks.  Sounds like decent coverage to me.

Ok I'll give you that with one caveat, the K State game.

I realize they had a weapon back there as a return guy, but we didn't even kick it away from him that effectively.

They still were getting the ball at the 35, 40, and 45 all game. It was maddening to watch.

Of course that had a lot to do with the kicker as well admittedly.

GoldenCOHog

The ST unit needs to be dramatically better in year four.  Expecting it.  No excuse to not execute basic fundamentals.  Go find a kicker that can kick it in the end zone bro.  Do it yesterday. 

RedBird5

Quote from: David Brent on January 12, 2016, 11:29:55 am

Thank you.  Love how people think an SEC head coach doesn't realize this.  It's not like they just said "aw screw it, it's only special teams". 

buldozer

OP is right on point with this post. Unless STs are fixed we will always lose one or two close games each year that we should not lose.... and that does not count the games you can win from time to time with some outstanding ST play like Bama had last night.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogz11 on January 12, 2016, 12:42:12 pm
No one who watched the Hogs this year should be saying anything other than the Special Teams unit as a whole this past season was bad. Absolutely no edge in that area. Does anyone remember the days of Zach Hocker and Joe Adams? Just two players but look at how they completely changed the dynamics of the team? This is what I hope CBB is trying to shore up.

OK.  I'm sure he is and would love to find two players of that caliber on ST's.  We all would love to have a Hocker and Adams on our team every season.  Any college team would including better programs than ours. 

SamBuckhart

It was hard to watch those blocked kicks. Surely CBB fixes. Right? Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

HoGFromTheStart

Does anybody think Johnathan Williams and RWIII will come back?
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

KennyForAD

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 12, 2016, 11:49:23 am
Bama blocked 6 kicks this season.  Hogs 2.

Bama blocked 3 punts.  Hogs 1. 

Athletic and depth difference at DL, LB and DB.

It was a choice vs K St because of their KR.  They were 12th in college football in KR including 4 KR TD's.

No.  It was a choice because they had a good returner, AND because of our poor kicking game.  If we could kick off better, we wouldn't have had to worry.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 12, 2016, 01:03:10 pm
No.  It was a choice because they had a good returner, AND because of our poor kicking game.  If we could kick off better, we wouldn't have had to worry.

Yes.  It was a choice due to our inability to achieve touchbacks consistently and their return game. 

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 12, 2016, 12:06:57 pm
The lack of leg strength with the kickoffs was a glaring weakness.  Hopefully that job will be open for competition in the Spring and more options will be available by next season.