Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State 45-19 win yesterday is 9-2

Started by Lanny, November 20, 2011, 12:24:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Quote from: josh_sec33 on November 20, 2011, 08:39:56 pm
I heard a great ASU fan hope that they'd play Arkansas in a bowl game (THIS YEAR) and ASU would come down and win it with a field goal at the gun, and Broyles would come down to midfield and die, and when they did the autopsy right there, they'd find a small black lump of coal for a heart. and that the legislature WANTED the two teams to play, and the Hogs would have to give them respect if they won, and Beebe would make them play as a final executive order before he stepped down from the governor's mansion.

I was speechless. I just shook my head and walked away. There was no point in getting in a fight with that.

Yep, those are the types I'm talking about.  Been around those guys for too much of my life.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

astate

I am an ASU graduate and used to be one of those who was not overly fond of UA.  Mostly because some UA fans treated ASU like they were just not worthy to be spoken of in the same breath.  I moved beyond the hate when I came to the realization that UA will NEVER play ASU in football.  You can give any reason you want but bottom line is it will not happen.  PERIOD.  Get over it.  UA deserves their "props".  UA is a generally consistent football program. ASU is not.  ASU cannot compete with the money that UA has.  ASU's coach is the lowest paid in the league at under $200,000.  They have a good coach this year who will probably not be there much longer if ASU can't pay him more to stay.   It is unfortunate but it is a fact of life.  ASU's football program does not make money.  Without money they will not likely be more than a team that occasionally has a decent season and wins one of their "money" games every few years.   

ark30inf

Quote from: astate on November 20, 2011, 09:14:30 pm
I am an ASU graduate and used to be one of those who was not overly fond of UA.  Mostly because some UA fans treated ASU like they were just not worthy to be spoken of in the same breath.  I moved beyond the hate when I came to the realization that UA will NEVER play ASU in football.  You can give any reason you want but bottom line is it will not happen.  PERIOD.  Get over it.  UA deserves their "props".  UA is a generally consistent football program. ASU is not.  ASU cannot compete with the money that UA has.  ASU's coach is the lowest paid in the league at under $200,000.  They have a good coach this year who will probably not be there much longer if ASU can't pay him more to stay.   It is unfortunate but it is a fact of life.  ASU's football program does not make money.  Without money they will not likely be more than a team that occasionally has a decent season and wins one of their "money" games every few years.   

Both programs deserve props, but for entirely different reasons.  UA deserves them for obvious reasons, UA represents the state very well at the highest levels.

ASU on the other hand has the lowest athletic budget in FBS and has for years.  But we beat Texas A&M, we played Texas and Iowa until they didn't want any more, and we are competitive in a league where most programs have more resources.  We are going to our second bowl despite not having much to work with.  NEA doesn't have a large donor base.  We are a poverty-stricken scrappy little program that fights above its dollar weight.   

I am very proud of both programs but for vastly different reasons.  There is very little overlap.  It's not like it is a zero-sum game.

Razorback88

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 20, 2011, 02:04:31 pm
You can say it isn't so, but all the true die-hard ASU fans I know are equally as die-hard Hog haters.  The two things seem to go hand in hand.

I beg to differ.  I'm from Jonesboro and a diehard fan of both.  I've been to 6 Hog games this year and out to ASU twice.  I'm going to New Orleans if we beat LSU Friday and Mobile if we lose and go to the Cap One.

It's really frustrating that people refuse to support both teams since there's no conflict of interest.  This has been the best year of football ever for me!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: bigpigonthehill on November 20, 2011, 01:42:28 pm
Is this a red wolves forum ??? ???

Nope but if your looking to have your account deleted keep it up Mr. funny man.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

1highhog

Great year for all of the big 3 in Football this year, I'm proud of all of them.

asuato

Im an ASU guy first and foremost, but I have no problem giving a thumbs up to any of the instate teams that do well. The state deserves some good PR, been too much bad over the years. Im happy for ASU, UA and UCA. Banner year. What other state can brag about what we are bragging about?

bscinar

I too am an ASU grad from Jonesboro, but I have been a Hog fan all my life.  I find it funny that ASU even remotely considers itself on par with the U of A.  I make the 4+ hr drive at least twice a year to watch a game in Fayetteville, but I don't bother going to a game at ASU.  ASU fans need to accept that they are a second (third??) tier program and the U of A is a national powerhouse program.   WPS from an Indian grad.... but I am glad 3 Arkansas teams are doing will this year.

spiritof92

Quote from: Lanny on November 20, 2011, 06:28:32 pm
I have no problems pulling for Arkansas State or UCA.  Great year for the Big Three

10thPlanet

I root for Arkansas no matter what the sport, level, activity, etc. ASU has a lot of Arkansas kids on it's team. I know a couple personally. When the Hogs didn't come calling they went to ASU, it's simple as that. They didn't trash the Hogs, coaches, fans or university. The only Arkansan athlete I will turn my back on is one that trashes my state, whether recruited by the Hogs(Dyer) or not. If Poyen plays Arkoma, OK tomorrow I know where my loyalty lies. I don't know a soul on either team. Arkansas all the way.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: dkwvike on November 21, 2011, 12:41:39 am
I root for Arkansas no matter what the sport, level, activity, etc. ASU has a lot of Arkansas kids on it's team. I know a couple personally. When the Hogs didn't come calling they went to ASU, it's simple as that. They didn't trash the Hogs, coaches, fans or university. The only Arkansan athlete I will turn my back on is one that trashes my state, whether recruited by the Hogs(Dyer) or not. If Poyen plays Arkoma, OK tomorrow I know where my loyalty lies. I don't know a soul on either team. Arkansas all the way.
You are in the majority. Look be its politics, sports or business whatever there are those who see benefits, some very real, some not, from distorting the truth. 

Like to think Lanny for giving kudos to ASU here and good luck against LSU.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

NeverYield

Quote from: CR7 on November 20, 2011, 01:04:19 pm
Is this redwolfville.net?
No, this is a "thread" on hogville.net.  One thread, that you didn't have to post in, if you would have skipped it, it would've gotten one less reply. 
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

ark30inf

Quote from: bscinar on November 21, 2011, 12:10:47 am
I too am an ASU grad from Jonesboro, but I have been a Hog fan all my life.  I find it funny that ASU even remotely considers itself on par with the U of A.  I make the 4+ hr drive at least twice a year to watch a game in Fayetteville, but I don't bother going to a game at ASU.  ASU fans need to accept that they are a second (third??) tier program and the U of A is a national powerhouse program.   WPS from an Indian grad.... but I am glad 3 Arkansas teams are doing will this year.

Why does ASU have to accept that it is a third tier program?  We didn't accept that we were always going to be an AIC program.  We didn't accept that we were forever going to be with McNeese and Lamar.  We didn't accept that we were forever going to be Division I-AA.

ASU will continue to scrap, scratch, and fight to advance and it is not going to stop.  I suspect UCA will continue as well since they seem to have that spirit also.

There are a few ASU fans that still have to learn that you don't advance by trying to tear someone else down.

There are a few UA fans that still have to learn that the position of their school and program is national, secure, solid and not under threat. 

ASU is not like Oklahoma State that has fastened itself onto the neck of Oklahoma or like Baylor tagging along with daddy Texas wherever it goes.  ASU has gotten where it is without being "little brother".  That's one reason I don't want the two teams to play one another...ASU and UA are not tied at the hip and I would prefer that they never be.

Yes we are in the Sun Belt and no we are not rich...but what we have we earned over many years by scraping and scratching for ourselves.  I have a lot of pride in that.

As an ASU grad you should get behind that.  I don't understand not wanting your own school to advance. 

As a fan of the Razorbacks like me, you ought to realize that UA is in the top tier of programs all time.  There is not a thing that goes on in this state that is going to diminish that any more than Troy or USA are going to diminish Alabama somehow.  If Troy somehow finished in the Top 10 next year....wouldn't hurt Alabama one iota.

It's about time we all finally come to an agreement that it has been generally a good thing for both programs that we don't play each other, that is a good thing we are not little brother/big brother...and that because of that, it is okay to support each other as one state.....or at least we should not try to tear each other down.

Westcoasthog

Congratulations Arkansas State on your 9-2 record.

Seminole Indian

November 21, 2011, 09:46:11 am #65 Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:47:34 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ark30inf on November 21, 2011, 08:37:07 am

ASU will continue to scrap, scratch, and fight to advance and it is not going to stop.  I suspect UCA will continue as well since they seem to have that spirit also.

Don't want to spend a lot of tome here talking about ASU because the college football universe centers on the LSU game.

When I was a kid while the Razorbacks played Texas for a national title, ASU played schools like Trinity Texas, Abilene Christian, Texas Arlington and Lamar. They won a small college national championship and within 5 years they were an undefeated Division 1 team that tied with Notre Dame for #21 in the final AP poll.

Then the focus of college football shifted from merit to money, still ASU put together  a successful 1AA program (played in the National Championship game), moved up and  are now experiencing success as a FBS program (bowl eligible 4 of last 6 years).

Point, there is no doubt they will fight and scrap. Always have and always will and that is what makes them very special.

ASU will always have to advance their program on merit because I rather doubt they are ever going to be rich. I have no problem with that, seems like the American way to me, although I'm sure the rich disagree!
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

DeltaBoy

Quote from: TNhogfan on November 20, 2011, 01:13:20 pm
1986 when the Indians lost to Ga Southern in the 1AA championship game - went 12-2-1.  Before that it was '75, when they went 11-0 and Hogs went 10-2 and whipped UGA in Cotton Bowl.  ASU did not get an invite to any bowl, which led to Southland Conference creating Independance Bowl and to ASU making the stupid 'How Long will they Run' bumper stickers.

That 1975 Team was loaded and sent several to the NFL.   I am proud for ASU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hair of the hog

Its really hard to say that its jerk Arkansas fans or jerk aswho fans when an aswho employee gets on local jokal radio and runs the hogs down every monday morning. That same attitude runs through a large percentage of fans here, as far as people I "hang out" with , you go to work and listen to their fans root every week for who ever is playing the Hogs  , its hard to root for a team who acts like the little red heades step brother who doesnt measure up.

I would love to be able to go watch a local game with the family  , but just not going to happen anytime soon
Quote from: ark30inf on November 20, 2011, 01:37:10 pm
It is primarily a battle between NEA jerks about who will be the biggest NEA jerks.  I think the battle is tied at the moment.

It has little to do with the rest of the state or the rest of the two schools fanbases.  It really doesn't even have much to do with the two schools.

As for me, I am pretty darn happy about the situation for UA, ASU, and UCA because I'm an Arkansan.

Go sell crazy somewhere else , we are all stocked up around here

ark30inf

Quote from: hair of the hog on November 21, 2011, 10:15:28 am
Its really hard to say that its jerk Arkansas fans or jerk aswho fans when an aswho employee gets on local jokal radio and runs the hogs down every monday morning. That same attitude runs through a large percentage of fans here, as far as people I "hang out" with , you go to work and listen to their fans root every week for who ever is playing the Hogs  , its hard to root for a team who acts like the little red heades step brother who doesnt measure up.

I would love to be able to go watch a local game with the family  , but just not going to happen anytime soon

I am willing to admit that there are some serious psychological issues going on in Northeast Arkansas amongst certain ASU fans and certain UA fans there.  But I think those are more personal and regional insanities that make little rational sense.

I deal with it by doing my own thing.  There is absolutely no way I can stop loving the Razorbacks.  I am not shy about that.  I don't hide it amongst ASU fans or on ASU message boards.  I have taken heat for it but I don't care.

There is absolutely no way I can stop loving ASU.  I am not shy about that either.

I'm also not advising you to rush out and become an ASU fan if you don't like some ASU fans attitudes.  I can absolutely understand your position if you are not an ASU grad. 

But I would advise you not to feed the trolls.

Albert Einswine

Why does ASU have to accept that it is a third tier program?  We didn't accept that we were always going to be an AIC program.  We didn't accept that we were forever going to be with McNeese and Lamar.  We didn't accept that we were forever going to be Division I-AA.

There are a few ASU fans that still have to learn that you don't advance by trying to tear someone else down.

There are a few UA fans that still have to learn that the position of their school and program is national, secure, solid and not under threat. 

ASU is not like Oklahoma State that has fastened itself onto the neck of Oklahoma or like Baylor tagging along with daddy Texas wherever it goes.  ASU has gotten where it is without being "little brother".  That's one reason I don't want the two teams to play one another...ASU and UA are not tied at the hip and I would prefer that they never be.

Yes we are in the Sun Belt and no we are not rich...but what we have we earned over many years by scraping and scratching for ourselves.  I have a lot of pride in that.

As an ASU grad you should get behind that.  I don't understand not wanting your own school to advance. 

As a fan of the Razorbacks like me, you ought to realize that UA is in the top tier of programs all time.  There is not a thing that goes on in this state that is going to diminish that any more than Troy or USA are going to diminish Alabama somehow.  If Troy somehow finished in the Top 10 next year....wouldn't hurt Alabama one iota.

It's about time we all finally come to an agreement that it has been generally a good thing for both programs that we don't play each other, that is a good thing we are not little brother/big brother...and that because of that, it is okay to support each other as one state.....or at least we should not try to tear each other down.

This is a solid post.  Kudos, man!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Seminole Indian

I have to agree with Albert Einswine....great post.

I do have some problems with how UCA has gone about advancing itself across the board. Think they took a few to many short cuts.