Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody ever been skiing at Angle Fire NM?

Started by hambone, October 23, 2006, 06:31:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeeLittlePig

Yes, we skied there, Taos and Red River in March of '05.  Angel Fire was fun to ski on the back side of the mountain.  The front was very crowded.  Didn't look like there is much to do there after skiing.  Taos is the best of the 3, no boarders and good variety of terrain.  We're intermediate skiers (blue runs) and found plenty to ski in both Taos & Angel Fire.  Red River has a nice town and shops, the ski area is ok with painfully slow lifts...we wouldn't go back there to ski. 
Hotty Toddy is actually a Greek work that means choke.  Paul Finebaum 10/13/09

linkshog

TAOS IS BY FAR THE BEST OF THE 3.  ANGEL FIRE WAS OK, BUT PRETTY CROWDED WHEN I WENT.  TAOS IS GREAT FOR BLUE RUN AND PSEUDO BLACK SKIERS.  PLENTY OF RUNS AND SHOPS AT THE BASE.  I'M JUST NOT A BIG NEW MEXICO SKI FAN.  RED RIVER IS JUST AN AVERAGE MOUNTAIN. 
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

hogfankb

Haven't been to Angelfire but I really enjoyed Taos. Make sure you go early enough in the year to find snow though. We went on Spring break a couple of years ago and the snow was very thin but it would have been like that almost anywhere that time of year.

sowsmilk

Quote from: hogfankb on October 24, 2006, 11:33:42 am
Haven't been to Angelfire but I really enjoyed Taos. Make sure you go early enough in the year to find snow though. We went on Spring break a couple of years ago and the snow was very thin but it would have been like that almost anywhere that time of year.

Yep, spotty snow - not good for long range planning.

Arkiejared

taos is one of my favourite ski destinations.

WeeeLittlePig

We bought a 'rolling ski condo' last fall, have used it for 2 trips already, one week at Leadville & Ski Cooper in January and then a week to Sunlight Mtn & Steamboat in February.  We no longer have to do long range planning, just check the ski-guide snow report, find an rv park, schedule vacation & hit the road. 
As far as Taos, it would be an annual trip for us if they had reliable snow.  It's just too easy to get there and a beautiful mountain to ski and we have friends to visit in Albuquerque.

hambone

Quote from: sowsmilk on October 24, 2006, 07:36:07 pm
Quote from: hogfankb on October 24, 2006, 11:33:42 am

Yep, spotty snow - not good for long range planning.

We went to Santa Fe two years ago on spring break.  They had plenty of snow.  In fact, they had a blizzard while we were there. 

We are planning on going on spring break which is the first week in April.   Much to early to tell what kind of snow they will have.   Maybe I ought to start thinking of going between Christmas and New Years. 

Anybody ever heard of Sipapu or been there? 

WeeeLittlePig

October 25, 2006, 10:56:12 am #8 Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 11:10:17 am by WeeeLittlePig
Have not been there, but from the resort description, it only has 70 skiable acres, so might only be good for a 1 day visit,
http://www.skitown.com/resortguide/stats.cfm/nm04/Sipapu

hambone

Quote from: WeeeLittlePig on October 25, 2006, 10:56:12 am
Have not been there, but from the resort description, it only has 70 skiable acres, so might only be good for a 1 day visit,

Thanks for the link, that's a good site.

WeeeLittlePig

Quote from: hambone on October 27, 2006, 09:18:18 pm
Quote from: WeeeLittlePig on October 25, 2006, 10:56:12 am

Thanks for the link, that's a good site.
You're welcome.  Here's another that's good for checking snow levels:
http://www.realconditions.com/