Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody been to Rome??

Started by Hogtimes, April 30, 2010, 03:54:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtimes

Hope this is not against the rules, but I need some quick advice about getting from the airport to City Centre in Rome, Italy.

Also, need to know about train service to Civiteechia.

Thanks  in advance

secneahog

Quote from: Stan on April 30, 2010, 03:54:32 pm
Hope this is not against the rules, but I need some quick advice about getting from the airport to City Centre in Rome, Italy.

Thanks  in advance

BP would be crashing at a Hostel if he was in Italy. Cuz hes a man! He's 40!     ha.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

BEvERage

April 30, 2010, 04:00:41 pm #2 Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:05:50 pm by BEvERage

yournamehere

If you have luggage, probably would take a taxi.  The airport is a bit out of town if I remember right.  If you are traveling light and don't mind walking a bit, it is inexpensive to take the train from the airport to the center train station which is about a 20-25 minute walk to the Senate and center ruins (assuming this is the city center).  The drivers are crazy and don't watch out for people on foot (so watch your arse).
I've traveled from the airport once (for what it is worth) and the train from the airport was easy and cheap (if you can get past the Italian instructions).

Table Rocker

Bacons Rebellion

When we were there we took the hotel bus from the airport. Obviously, that may not work for you.

As foryournamehere says, driving in Rome is not a rational option.

However, I suggest you find better sources than a bunch of Arkansans (just as I would suggest you not ask a Roman how to get from Mena to Fordyce.

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Table Rocker

Diarrhea is the great equalizer.

Mo_Better_Hogs

April 30, 2010, 05:08:11 pm #8 Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:09:51 pm by Mo_Better_Hogs
Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 30, 2010, 05:00:52 pm
Jim Rome?

Jim Everett has been to Rome. and as I recall, he kicked Rome's ass.

Bpig

I sure disagree about driving in Italy, Rome included. It is more rush than a roller coaster.

A few rules.

Don't look at the side roads. If you make eye contact they will take it as permission to pull out and will.

You need to keep your eyes straight ahead because the center line is the passing lane. Whoever gets there first has the right away.

Watch out for the little panel trucks. They will whack you and keep on going.

If you get caught going around and around a traffic circle just locate an expensive car and slowly move over. They will get out of your way.

It is probably safer than walking. Those suckers will use a sidewalk to pass.

The main thing to me is that a car allows you to cruise the Italian countryside which has spectacular views and great food at a much reduced price compared to Rome.

If you take a train places and don't want to do the hostel thing, check the kiosk at the train station. A lot of people rent out rooms from their house at a significant cost reduction. You are only going to want to crash their anyway.

If you are young and get a chance check out Milan. Great party town.

HgH

Quote from: Stan on April 30, 2010, 03:54:32 pm

Thanks  in advance

usnavyhogfan

i was there over the holidays. the train to civitevechia is about an hour ride and usually leaves on the hour and will cost ya a few euro. if your looking to stay in a hostel check out "the yellow" it was a great time, lots of cool people and has a bar outside. i did not go to the airport so i cant help ya there
The dream is free, the journey is not.

FLHawgGrl

My sister and I went summer of 2004.  Word to the wise... Watch your money on the subway. I got pick pocketed.  They work in teams and will cause a distraction.  Next thing you know, you getjacked. My wallet was literally taken from a zippered bag on my side.
YES I AM A CHIC WHO LOVES FOOTBALL!

FLHawgGrl

Oh and watch out for those crazy vespa drivers.  We were there for 4 days and everyday we saw a  crash!
YES I AM A CHIC WHO LOVES FOOTBALL!

AlphaBoar

Take the train into Termini Station.  There is a cab stand outside; there are signs that will direct you to it.  Watch your belongings, this area is a pick-pocket's dream.  Wait at the cab stand for a cab. You can not hail a cab from the street in Rome; it is illegal so they will only pick up fares at a taxi stand.  Do not deal with the people standing there asking if you need a cab; they just want to hook you up with a cabbie for a fee.  Negotiate the price with your driver before getting in the cab.  If he says different upon arrival, after your luggage is unloaded, toss the previously negotiated amount on the seat and walk away.

AlphaBoar

Quote from: FLHawgGrl on April 30, 2010, 10:07:30 pm
My sister and I went summer of 2004.  Word to the wise... Watch your money on the subway. I got pick pocketed.  They work in teams and will cause a distraction.  Next thing you know, you getjacked. My wallet was literally taken from a zippered bag on my side.
We bring zip-ties with us and keep all of our zippers secure. Carry a set of nail clippers in your pocket to get in your bags, then put on a new zip-tie and trim it when you are done.

kodiakisland

In Rome. take a taxi if it's too far to walk.  You'll get robbed riding the metro trains there.  Northern Italy is fine to drive in, but the farther south you go, the crazier the drivers are.  A few weeks in Italy and I couldn't wait to get back to German drivers.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HamShank

Rome, Georgia...Athens, Texas...and Paris, Tennessee.  We're not the jet-set.

Keyser Sooieze

why don't you just do what the other Romans are doing?

pheine78

Once you arrive at the airport, just follow the signs for the train station; it is conveniently located in the airport and you can take a direct connection to Termini train station, which is right downtown.  From there it is a short walk to the Metro, which will get you to almost any of the major sights, or there are taxi stands in the square outside the train station if you are trying to get to a hotel.  I have lived in Italy for almost six years now and have spent a significant amount of time in Rome; as long as you watch your belongings, the Metro is by far the best way to see Rome.  I wouldn't recommend a car unless you are traveling outside the city; the driving isn't bad (or maybe I am just used to it now), but the parking is horrendous.  I have spent full days just trying to find a parking space near my destination.  Hope this helps. 
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

tconey1

Quote from: Rumplepigskin on May 01, 2010, 12:01:32 am
why don't you just do what the other Romans are doing?
post of the night.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on April 30, 2010, 05:08:11 pm
Jim Everett has been to Rome. and as I recall, he kicked Rome's ass.

Jim Everett didn't do a damn thing - nor did he want to.
It's all been a pack of lies!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

seriously...he pushed the guy to look tough. dumb.   Rome now world-famous.  Everett?  pushed a 5'6'' radio guy to the floor b/c he couldn't defend himself verbally. 

EPIC.

Rzback

Only decent food we had while we were in Rome was at the Hard Rock Cafe across from our hotel (Excelsior). If you like Italian food eat it in the U.S. what they serve in Rome does not compare. Don't think I would want to drive in Rome.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

The Realist

May 01, 2010, 06:24:20 am #23 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:29:54 am by The Realist
I live in Rome
When are you coming?  Ignore anyone who says take a taxi...that's a waste of money unless you have 4 people with you.  Taxis to the city center from Fiumicino are a 40 euro flat rate.  In the airport there are people who can direct you to the trains right across the street, you take an escalator down and through a tunnel after you exit the baggage area, and then buy your tickets at the little green self-service kiosks, then just get on the train and it takes you straight to Termini.  From there you can either get a cab or take the bus.  If you tell me where you are staying I can help a bit more with how to get there from Termini, or whether you should take a cab or bus. 

The train to Civitavecchi runs pretty much every hour.  I take it you are going on a cruise or something?  The train will cost 4.50 euro.  Don't take the fast trains, it gets you there like 20 minutes faster and costs 8 euros more.  Just take the Regional train. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

usnavyhogfan

dont get suckered in for the guided tour of the coleseum for about 20 euro like i did. yeah the tour guides tell you a bit of the history but you could look that up for yourself and save money. just wander around yourself. just like any big city pickpockets are everywhere. keep your wallet in your front pocket, its much easier to make sure its there. dont be afraid to walk around to romes historic sites. its not that far of a walk between most of them.

The Realist

All these people saying watch out for pick pockets...I haven't dealt with that once.  Much worse in Barcelona in my opinion.  If people come up to you trying to offer you stuff, aka distract you, just say "vai vai vai", aka go away, they hear it enough they will know you know whats up.  Just stay out of tourist traps and you're fine.  And of course you'll run into some sketchy people on the subway.  I never take the subway.  Much easier to use the tram or buses.  Tell me where you want to go and I can tell you what buses you need to take from where.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

bphi11ips

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on May 01, 2010, 07:00:36 am
dont get suckered in for the guided tour of the coleseum for about 20 euro like i did. yeah the tour guides tell you a bit of the history but you could look that up for yourself and save money. just wander around yourself. just like any big city pickpockets are everywhere. keep your wallet in your front pocket, its much easier to make sure its there. dont be afraid to walk around to romes historic sites. its not that far of a walk between most of them.

This.  And don't expect to find a decent piece of pizza or cup of coffee.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Realist

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 01, 2010, 07:34:06 am
WHATTTTT
If you are looking for something right beside the Colosseum yeah.  Other than that it's hard to find bad coffee...they are more picky about their coffee here than their pizza.  The places around the tourists areas can get away charging high prices for crap food.  Go to Trastevere, or along Via del Corso, or pretty much anywhere other than near the Colosseum or Trevi fountain.  This is like some Italian coming to America and saying "Dont expect to find good food" when all they did was go to McDonalds
Childs, Gregory.

hawgbawb

Ditto the comment about pickpockets. Italy is wonderful but the Roman pickpockets are the world's finest.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

usnavyhogfan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 01, 2010, 07:34:06 am

you know thats a good point, i was only there for a few days but i was not impressed at all with the coffee and food. now maybe i just went to the wrong places but the food was very bland and the coffee bitter. i was all excited to get some authentic lasagna and pizza but it was very plain. i heard naples has better food but didnt venture down there. im sure there are great places to eat but i didnt find those.

Hog on the Hill

My girlfriend is a barista and she loved the coffee in Rome.  I think you guys were going to the wrong places.  She did tell me that the stuff in the touristy areas was overpriced and often not very good.

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on May 01, 2010, 08:02:32 am
you know thats a good point, i was only there for a few days but i was not impressed at all with the coffee and food. now maybe i just went to the wrong places but the food was very bland and the coffee bitter. i was all excited to get some authentic lasagna and pizza but it was very plain. i heard naples has better food but didnt venture down there. im sure there are great places to eat but i didnt find those.
What made you think that their coffee wouldn't be bitter?  No matter how good coffee is, it's going to be bitter.

The Realist

May 01, 2010, 08:29:41 am #32 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:32:28 am by The Realist
Naples has some real good pizza.  The further south you go, the more seafood and fried foods you find.  Sicily practically has a different cuisine all together.  It's actually hard to find pizza in some places.  They are more about paninis and fried food.  And ignore everything you are told about Sicily.  It's a true Southern Hospitality down there.  The rest of Italy dogs on Sicily pretty bad but most of it is untrue...Northern Italy is one of the most racist places you'll find.  The mafia is involved in everything down south but it's not done in the open and is more just another part of the government so nothing to be scared of. 

If you were looking for good Lasagna., should have gone to Carlo Menta in Trastevere, real close to the Isola Tiberina.   
Childs, Gregory.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Realist on May 01, 2010, 07:43:57 am
WHATTTTT
If you are looking for something right beside the Colosseum yeah.  Other than that it's hard to find bad coffee...they are more picky about their coffee here than their pizza.  The places around the tourists areas can get away charging high prices for crap food.  Go to Trastevere, or along Via del Corso, or pretty much anywhere other than near the Colosseum or Trevi fountain.  This is like some Italian coming to America and saying "Dont expect to find good food" when all they did was go to McDonalds

Dude.  Did I say anything about food?  Pizza does not equal food.  If you like dry pizza with little cheese, you'll like the pizza in Rome.  And panini and grappa are overrated.  Otherwise the food is incredible.  As is the espresso.  But order a cup of coffee and you'll get espresso.  Say you'd like coffee instead and someone will look at you and say "Oh, American coffee."  Don't get me wrong.  I love a good shot of espresso after dinner or in a cappucino.  But in the morning I want my good old fashioned cup of strong American joe.  As best I could tell, American coffee was two shots of espresso with water, and this was everywhere from The Hassler to the espresso shops on the street.

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 01, 2010, 08:41:42 am
Say you'd like coffee instead and someone will look at you and say "Oh, American coffee."  Don't get me wrong.  I love a good shot of espresso after dinner or in a cappucino.  But in the morning I want my good old fashioned cup of strong American joe.  As best I could tell, American coffee was two shots of espresso with water, and this was everywhere from The Hassler to the espresso shops on the street.
Drip coffee is basically the same thing as an Americano.  The high pressure from the brewing of espresso might draw out some slightly different flavors but a watered down espresso is about the same strength as American-style drip coffee.

usnavyhogfan

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on May 01, 2010, 08:19:42 am
What made you think that their coffee wouldn't be bitter?  No matter how good coffee is, it's going to be bitter.

not true. ever had ethiopian or jamaican coffee? very smooth. what i was getting at is the coffee tasted like ti was over cooked and used cheap beans.  also i did ask for american coffee so im sure i didnt get the good stuff

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: usnavyhogfan on May 01, 2010, 08:55:48 am
not true. ever had ethiopian or jamaican coffee? very smooth. what i was getting at is the coffee tasted like ti was over cooked and used cheap beans.  also i did ask for american coffee so im sure i didnt get the good stuff
I've had Turkish coffee in the Middle East which was excellent, but it was still bitter.  I think I see what you mean, though.  Coffee's bitter, but then there's BITTER coffee.  Kind of like Chimay Bleue is a little bitter, but it's not bitter beer.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on May 01, 2010, 08:52:41 am
Drip coffee is basically the same thing as an Americano.  The high pressure from the brewing of espresso might draw out some slightly different flavors but a watered down espresso is about the same strength as American-style drip coffee.

It's not the strength, it's the flavor and texture.  I like French press occasionally, too.  But what wakes me up every morning is spring water through freshly ground Starbucks French Roast.  Now that's Americano! 

The Realist

May 01, 2010, 09:13:24 am #38 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:16:20 am by The Realist
Quote from: bphi11ips on May 01, 2010, 08:41:42 am
Dude.  Did I say anything about food?  Pizza does not equal food.  If you like dry pizza with little cheese, you'll like the pizza in Rome.  And panini and grappa are overrated.  Otherwise the food is incredible.  As is the espresso.  But order a cup of coffee and you'll get espresso.  Say you'd like coffee instead and someone will look at you and say "Oh, American coffee."  Don't get me wrong.  I love a good shot of espresso after dinner or in a cappucino.  But in the morning I want my good old fashioned cup of strong American joe.  As best I could tell, American coffee was two shots of espresso with water, and this was everywhere from The Hassler to the espresso shops on the street.
My mistake.  Was unaware that pizza did not equal food..........
Regardless it's clear you went to the wrong places.

And you're in a different country.  Coffee in America is not a caffe in Italy.  If you want an american style coffee you can ask for a caffe americano...but all they do is put it in a large capuccino cup and dilute it with water, not recommended.  Coffee to Italians isn't a huge cup.  It's a tiny espresso basically that they barely sip on, or if they are on the go, walk in order it up down it and move on.  Caffe macchiato or a cappuccino is a lot closer to what you guys are wanting. 

Childs, Gregory.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Realist on May 01, 2010, 09:13:24 am
My mistake.  Was unaware that pizza did not equal food..........
Regardless it's clear you went to the wrong places.

And you're in a different country.  Coffee in America is not a caffe in Italy.  If you want an american style coffee you can ask for a caffe americano...but all they do is put it in a large capuccino cup and dilute it with water, not recommended.  Coffee to Italians isn't a huge cup.  It's a tiny espresso basically that they barely sip on, or if they are on the go, walk in order it up down it and move on.  Caffe macchiato or a cappuccino is a lot closer to what you guys are wanting. 

As often happens here, we are talking about differences in nomenclature.  Pizza does not equal the entire universe of food.  All squares are rectangles.  All rectangles are not squares.  Capeche? Coffee as we generally think of it in this country is Americano.  Espresso is espresso.  They aren't the same.  Order a cup of coffee at a restaurant in New York City and what do you get?  Does anyone ask if you want macchiato, cappucino, espresso or Americano?  No.  They bring you a cup of freakin coffee.  Order a cup of coffee in Rome and you will get a shot of espresso.  Which is good.  I LOVE espresso, but it is not what we call COFFEE.     

The Realist

Pizza is a type of food is it not?  Never said it was the only food. 

Regardless, you're preaching to the choir here.  I live in Rome. 
Childs, Gregory.

WAHog

I've been there... but would NEVER go back!  Rome is infested with pick-pocketers.  They attack on the street, on the bus, and in full view of the locals, who apparently think it's funny for an American to lose his wallet.  I even had a gypsy woman carrying a small baby walk straight up to me at a street market and start patting me down, trying to figure out where my money was hidden.  How can you enjoy a vacation when you're constantly looking over your shoulder?

By the way, I think there are more Arkansans traveling the world than some people think.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The Realist on May 01, 2010, 09:44:44 am
Pizza is a type of food is it not?  Never said it was the only food. 

Regardless, you're preaching to the choir here.  I live in Rome. 

No, but you suggested I said the food is not good in Rome, which I didn't.  People will argue about anything on this board.  All I really intended to do was second someone's thought on walking.  From the Colosseum to the Forum to the Pantheon to the Spanish Steps and all the squares, fountains, shops and restaurants in between, a day walking in Rome is an incredible experience.  I thought I'd just add a bit I found ironic about the city.  When we think of Rome, we tend to think of pizza and cappucino.  I found the pizza to be bland and coffee as we know it to be non-existent.

You don't know me, nor do you know where I ate pizza in Rome.  However, you decide to insult me and suggest I was a typical tourist without enough sense to know I'd only been to the Italian version of McDonald's. 

And I got that you lived in Rome the first time.  Hope you enjoy it.  It's a magical place.

The Realist

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 01, 2010, 10:34:00 am
No, but you suggested I said the food is not good in Rome, which I didn't.  People will argue about anything on this board.  All I really intended to do was second someone's thought on walking.  From the Colosseum to the Forum to the Pantheon to the Spanish Steps and all the squares, fountains, shops and restaurants in between, a day walking in Rome is an incredible experience.  I thought I'd just add a bit I found ironic about the city.  When we think of Rome, we tend to think of pizza and cappucino.  I found the pizza to be bland and coffee as we know it to be non-existent.

You don't know me, nor do you know where I ate pizza in Rome.  However, you decide to insult me and suggest I was a typical tourist without enough sense to know I'd only been to the Italian version of McDonald's. 

And I got that you lived in Rome the first time.  Hope you enjoy it.  It's a magical place.
Ineedthelastword
Childs, Gregory.

Table Rocker

Quote from: pheine78 on May 01, 2010, 04:20:46 am
Once you arrive at the airport, just follow the signs for the train station; it is conveniently located in the airport and you can take a direct connection to Termini train station, which is right downtown.  From there it is a short walk to the Metro, which will get you to almost any of the major sights, or there are taxi stands in the square outside the train station if you are trying to get to a hotel.  I have lived in Italy for almost six years now and have spent a significant amount of time in Rome; as long as you watch your belongings, the Metro is by far the best way to see Rome.  I wouldn't recommend a car unless you are traveling outside the city; the driving isn't bad (or maybe I am just used to it now), but the parking is horrendous.  I have spent full days just trying to find a parking space near my destination.  Hope this helps. 

pheine!!! weren't you the guy who tried to post the picture of your Russian mail order bride in the Tavern without success back in the day? How's the relationship? Did you ever figure out how to post pics on here?

pheine78

Quote from: Table Rocker on May 01, 2010, 02:29:19 pm
pheine!!! weren't you the guy who tried to post the picture of your Russian mail order bride in the Tavern without success back in the day? How's the relationship? Did you ever figure out how to post pics on here?

Thats me.  Can't believe anyone remembers that (or I was hoping they didn't!!!)  However, she is not Russian and not mail order!  That is when I discovered I should drink less before I post!  P.S. Happily married for six years next month!  Ciao
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

Table Rocker

Quote from: pheine78 on May 01, 2010, 06:02:09 pm
Thats me.  Can't believe anyone remembers that (or I was hoping they didn't!!!)  However, she is not Russian and not mail order!  That is when I discovered I should drink less before I post!  P.S. Happily married for six years next month!  Ciao

it was one of the funniest threads I've ever read on Hogville, too bad it has mysteriously disappeared into oblivion. What made it great wasn't that you couldn't figure out how to post pictures (happens all the time to people) but the piling on of numerous Hogvillians giving you hell for not being able to do it. Congrats on the longevity! Working on my second year come July.

Talon

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on April 30, 2010, 04:55:49 pm

However, I suggest you find better sources than a bunch of Arkansans (just as I would suggest you not ask a Roman how to get from Mena to Fordyce.

Hold on just a minute.  You might just be surprised just how knowledgeable a bunch of Arkansans can be.  For that matter, you might be surprised at how much people from around the world know about the US.

While my information about Rome may be dated my general advise is to plan on taking a taxi at the airport.  Know exactly where you are going and have it written down.  Ask for prices from 3-4 drivers and see if they will bargain.  There should not be any problem finding someone that speaks English to advise about the train station.  Likely places to find  English speakers include hotel check-in desks.

Talon

Quote from: WAHog on May 01, 2010, 10:00:26 am
I've been there... but would NEVER go back!  Rome is infested with pick-pocketers.  They attack on the street, on the bus, and in full view of the locals, who apparently think it's funny for an American to lose his wallet.  I even had a gypsy woman carrying a small baby walk straight up to me at a street market and start patting me down, trying to figure out where my money was hidden.  How can you enjoy a vacation when you're constantly looking over your shoulder?

By the way, I think there are more Arkansans traveling the world than some people think.

I agree on all accounts.  Billfolds need to be in front pockets and if you don't need it and don't want to loose it, don't take it.  I've traveled and worked in many countries.  Italy is one of my least favorite countries.  The arrogance of the Italians is noteworthy.  If you think Rome is bad, you ought to go to Naples.  The per capita number of rats has got to be one of the highest in the world.

If you assume that everyone in Italy has no agenda other than stealing from you, you may get off to a good start.  I'm not just talking about the pick-pockets.  I'm talking about taxi drivers, vendors on the street...basically everyone.  As soon as they see you are not a local, they know they have easy pickings.

The Realist

Haha Naples.  It has everything bad about the south of Italy without any of the good.  All they have is Pizza and Mt. Vesuvius as a backdrop. 

Italians are pretty arrogant, usually the more north you go.  But you can find good and bad all over.  Italians have an image of Americans as the Hollywood LA types they see on TV.  You can spot an American in any crowd too so it makes it easy. I've learned that for the most part, they will be rude to me until they figure out I speak Italian and then they are a little bit nicer but still not inviting me to sit down for a caffe. Romans dislike most people because they see tourists as "invading their city" during the summer months.  What they fail to acknowledge is the entire economy in Rome is based on tourism.  Should be saying thank you instead.   
Childs, Gregory.