Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changes to VRBO

Started by HawgWild, February 25, 2016, 11:18:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

I started noticing comments on one of the travel sites about recent changes to VRBO. Seems they have been purchased by Expedia and are now charging Service fee for all reservations. It was 9.5% for the listing I looked at. Needless to say, folks are complaining.

Horsesrus

We booked a condo through VRBO in Rosemary Beach, Fl for May and I went back and checked our reservation.  We were charged a 6% service fee, which was grouped with the entire cost so I didn't even know this was going to Expedia. I just compared final costs between the properties we looked for. My sister booked through a realty company and their fee was just under 6%.

HawgWild

From HomeAway (Expedia) on the new fee:

"In order to invest in more marketing and product and services, and to cover operational costs, HomeAway is introducing a small service fee that travelers will pay when they book or pay through the HomeAway checkout. The fee will vary from 4 to 10 percent based on the total amount of the rental, but will not exceed $499."

RazorbackRon

This is too bad.  Expedia is going to screw up a very good thing.  We've used VRBO multiple times in the past and have always found it (and it's listings) to be excellent.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

onebadrubi

HawgWild

If you've used a VRBO rental in the past, like it, and want to use it again, and have the owners contact info then you can contact the owner directly to avoid these charges. If you type a request to the owner from the VRBO site and type in your e-mail address for them to respond directly to you the VRBO site "scrubs" that e-mail address from the message before passing it along.

Horsesrus

Quote from: Horsesrus on February 25, 2016, 12:04:49 pm
We booked a condo through VRBO in Rosemary Beach, Fl for May and I went back and checked our reservation.  We were charged a 6% service fee, which was grouped with the entire cost so I didn't even know this was going to Expedia. I just compared final costs between the properties we looked for. My sister booked through a realty company and their fee was just under 6%.

Correction on mine.  I wasn't charged the fee, must have beat the change back when I booked a couple months ago.  I went back and checked my exact property for a different week and the service fee is there now.

Thanks for the heads up on this.  We've booked other condos in the past and kept the contact info of the owner so that is a good way to circumvent the fee.

HawgWild

February 26, 2016, 10:56:54 am #7 Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:23:14 am by HawgWild
I thought it pretty heavy handed by Expedia (VRBO) to prohibit the exchange of personal contact information so as to avoid people booking outside their system.

This is another addition to the reservation process. Note the language about there being no guarantee you'll get a refund if you pay the entire deposit. I'm sure that's there to make people opt to pay their "recommended" fee. All in all this smells bad.

From VRBO:
The owner has offered the following damage protection options:

Damage Protection from CSA (Underwritten by Generali U.S. Branch) is especially recommended for:
 Those traveling with children, groups, or pets
 Those staying at luxury rentals
 Those staying for an extended amount of time

Pay only $59.00 for $1,500.00 in damage protection from CSA (recommended)

Pay a $1,500.00 refundable damage deposit to the owner *Please note refund of the damage deposit is not guaranteed

Jackrabbit Hog

Thanks for the info in this thread.  We've used VRBO several times in the past (with no problems whatsoever).  We may look elsewhere from now on.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

We rented a unit 2-3 weeks ago off VRBO and contacted the owner directly and cut a deal with them.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bplease

Check VRBO, google the houses name and compare between the websites it is listed on.
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

Hogfan46

Last week I booked a beach house for a week in Carlsbad, CA in July on VRBO. I was charged a 5% service fee.

HawgWild

Quote from: bplease on February 26, 2016, 01:06:37 pm
Check VRBO, google the houses name and compare between the websites it is listed on.

I did this on a home I've rented this fall in northern Florida and found a $200 difference in the daily rate for the same home, same rental dates, by different web sites. Like they say, it pays to shop around.

DiamondHogFan

The few times I have used VRBO/HomeAway, I sent the owner a check directly to them.  I guess this added fee is only if you use the pay service through HomeAway?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on July 08, 2016, 10:08:11 am
The few times I have used VRBO/HomeAway, I sent the owner a check directly to them.  I guess this added fee is only if you use the pay service through HomeAway?

As I type this, I'm sittin' in the bed in our rental house on 30A near Watersound, watching the final round of the Scottish Open and resting from last night's drive to get here.  The wife used Southern Real Estate this year instead of VRBO to find and rent the place and she said it was a better experience. 

All you losers keep swatting mosquitoes and enjoy your cubicles next week while I'm chillin' down here.     ;)
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ImHogginIt

We have a home rented for next week near Bodega Bay, CA North of San Fran overlooking the ocean. Can't recall service fee but it wasn't too bad. Have never had an issue with VRBO.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 10, 2016, 12:11:11 pm
As I type this, I'm sittin' in the bed in our rental house on 30A near Watersound, watching the final round of the Scottish Open and resting from last night's drive to get here.  The wife used Southern Real Estate this year instead of VRBO to find and rent the place and she said it was a better experience. 

All you losers keep swatting mosquitoes and enjoy your cubicles next week while I'm chillin' down here.     ;)

I'll be flying down next weekend, the rest head out Tuesday after a golf tournament for #3. How are the jellyfish?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2016, 01:21:35 pm
I'll be flying down next weekend, the rest head out Tuesday after a golf tournament for #3. How are the jellyfish?

Great sautéed, not so good grilled.  Still got some caught between my teeth.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 10, 2016, 05:14:08 pm
Great sautéed, not so good grilled.  Still got some caught between my teeth.

I want even ask how the seaweed is..........

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2016, 05:28:37 pm
I want even ask how the seaweed is..........

Well what the he11 do you think I'm using to try to get the dang jellyfish out from between my teeth???     Sheesh....

(No jellyfish seen on day 1; seaweed is there but not too bad)

HogScoutMaster

I have used it 3 times and really enjoy it myself. 
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."