Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please For the Love of God

Started by lrar4hogs, September 23, 2012, 10:50:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lrar4hogs

FIRE PAUL HAYNES. 

John L. might actually seem better without Paul Haynes.  Hell anybody would seem better without Paul Haynes as your defensive coordinator.

Beaverfever

its funny how everyone gets all excited as soon as someone is hired and just assumes they´ll be great.  Our d is beyond crap

Feralhog

Quote from: lrar4hogs on September 23, 2012, 10:50:49 am
FIRE PAUL HAYNES. 

John L. might actually seem better without Paul Haynes.  Hell anybody would seem better without Paul Haynes as your defensive coordinator.

I've been hearing JLS has been meddling with the D from the git go.  Doesn't excuse anything, might help 'splain some things though.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 23, 2012, 10:51:35 am
its funny how everyone gets all excited as soon as someone is hired and just assumes they´ll be great.  Our d is beyond crap

I know.  Haynes' resume was crap.  He wasn't even a true DC before this.  Everyone on this board just assumed he was awesome because BP hired him...despite the fact that BP's evaluation of DC's sucks.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Feralhog on September 23, 2012, 10:53:30 am
I've been hearing JLS has been meddling with the D from the git go.  Doesn't excuse anything, might help 'splain some things though.

From Day One, Haynes has talked about being simple.

I've never been sold on that type of HDN mentality.

Aston Martin 8 dude

While it's easy to say now I have to admit I was still somewhat dubious about the defense coming into the season. Yes, I was certainly hopeful that with the background of the two former OSU assistants AND the performance we showed in the Cotton Bowl against KSU we might be better. However, a couple of things still stuck out:

First of all, while K State was (and is) a good football team we knew they'd still not challenged us like most of the better SEC teams would. Their offensive scheme wasn't nearly as a balanced as most of the league's better offenses. Their overall speed couldn't match those of the top notch SEC teams, not matter which side of the ball they were playing

Secondly, we had more than a week or two to prepare for their run oriented defense. With the likes of Bequette, Franklin and others this seemed to be more than adequate time to plan and practice for a more traditional Big 10 type offense. Obviously the time to get ready and the type of offense KSU ran fit right into the planning and comfort zone of both Haynes and Johnson. 

Third, the obvious continued lack of talent, both starting and backup, was still a matter of concern that needed to be addressed. Not having faced another SEC team offensive attack before this season I was concerned that our two former OSU coaches weren't fully prepared for what they'd experience against the league. It kind of goes back to the lessons that both Mizzou and TAM have already found out: you can look at film and watch all the games you want. However, until you have to go out and matchup against the speed, size and power of the SEC week after week you still can't have a full appreciation of what it's like. I'm afraid that lesson is just being demonstrated to and realized by both. Hopefully an accelerated learning curve can help the entire staff offset a least some of the lack of defensive playmakers.

Grunt

Quote from: lrar4hogs on September 23, 2012, 10:50:49 am
FIRE PAUL HAYNES. 

You're not quite a DARKSIDER but you have potential. What we need is to clean house from JL to the equipment manager, sterilize the facilities and send the players through de-programing.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Dustbug86

I am not a football coach and never will be. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can explain this to me. It was inherently clear that Rasner could not cover #7 out of the slot man to man, with or without a pass rush. While our secondary lacks talent and there may have been no better options, why not even attempt to make an adjustment there?
-D

IronHog

Quote from: Aston Martin 8 dude on September 23, 2012, 11:17:43 am
While it's easy to say now I have to admit I was still somewhat dubious about the defense coming into the season. Yes, I was certainly hopeful that with the background of the two former OSU assistants AND the performance we showed in the Cotton Bowl against KSU we might be better. However, a couple of things still stuck out:

First of all, while K State was (and is) a good football team we knew they'd still not challenged us like most of the better SEC teams would. Their offensive scheme wasn't nearly as a balanced as most of the league's better offenses. Their overall speed couldn't match those of the top notch SEC teams, not matter which side of the ball they were playing

Secondly, we had more than a week or two to prepare for their run oriented defense. With the likes of Bequette, Franklin and others this seemed to be more than adequate time to plan and practice for a more traditional Big 10 type offense. Obviously the time to get ready and the type of offense KSU ran fit right into the planning and comfort zone of both Haynes and Johnson. 

Third, the obvious continued lack of talent, both starting and backup, was still a matter of concern that needed to be addressed. Not having faced another SEC team offensive attack before this season I was concerned that our two former OSU coaches weren't fully prepared for what they'd experience against the league. It kind of goes back to the lessons that both Mizzou and TAM have already found out: you can look at film and watch all the games you want. However, until you have to go out and matchup against the speed, size and power of the SEC week after week you still can't have a full appreciation of what it's like. I'm afraid that lesson is just being demonstrated to and realized by both. Hopefully an accelerated learning curve can help the entire staff offset a least some of the lack of defensive playmakers.

Kansas St. is far more talented than ULM or Rutgers.

DD Jones went to the best player on the field to a giant no show.  The interim coach thing has been a massive failure.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

lrar4hogs

Quote from: Grunt on September 23, 2012, 11:28:01 am
You're not quite a DARKSIDER but you have potential. What we need is to clean house from JL to the equipment manager, sterilize the facilities and send the players through de-programing.

I not a DARKSIDER, Nutt Hugger, Malzahn/Springdale Mafia, or Jeff Long Hater (getting close though), but I am not an idiot when it comes to knowing what a terrible defense is.  Sometimes a change is needed immediately to stop the insanity (being our defense). Meddling or not though, we are getting worse each week on defense.  And atleast Willie "Coke bottle glasses" Robinson could make halftime adjustments.  Haynes just keeps sucking, well actually gets worse in the second half.  If you count Nick Holt and others, we have several guys who have defensive coordinator experience.

Grunt

Quote from: lrar4hogs on September 23, 2012, 12:02:53 pm
I not a DARKSIDER, Nutt Hugger, Malzahn/Springdale Mafia, or Jeff Long Hater (getting close though), but I am not an idiot when it comes to knowing what a terrible defense is.  Sometimes a change is needed immediately to stop the insanity (being our defense). Meddling or not though, we are getting worse each week on defense.  And atleast Willie "Coke bottle glasses" Robinson could make halftime adjustments.  Haynes just keeps sucking, well actually gets worse in the second half.  If you count Nick Holt and others, we have several guys who have defensive coordinator experience.
agree
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

rickm1976

In all fairness to Haynes, we ain't got the horses on defense.

lrar4hogs

Quote from: rickm1976 on September 23, 2012, 12:15:20 pm
In all fairness to Haynes, we ain't got the horses on defense.

Really?  Can't believe anyone would support Paul Haynes.  ULM and Rutgers don't have horses either, but they make our defense look like trash.  Jax. State even made several yards against our defense.  So don't give me the talent issue on defense.  There is enough players on defense to not suck this bad.

rickm1976

Quote from: lrar4hogs on September 23, 2012, 12:23:09 pm
Really?  Can't believe anyone would support Paul Haynes.  ULM and Rutgers don't have horses either, but they make our defense look like trash.  Jax. State even made several yards against our defense.  So don't give me the talent issue on defense.  There is enough players on defense to not suck this bad.

Yeah, good point.  Even with what we got, we shouldn't be this bad, but we should have better talent on defense than ULM and Rutgers.