Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attendance only at 8,500 tonight at the Bud.

Started by Pignominious, December 06, 2006, 12:38:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pignominious

Not to be Debby Downer but numbers are numbers.  This is our second consecutive game with below 10,000 fans.  Heath needs to beat some teams of consequence very fast.  The fans are getting board.  I will support them wherever they play no matter who the coach is, but Frank looks at attendence very closely....
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

arcowboy

Right 8000 there must have been about 5000 in the restrooms at all times

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on December 06, 2006, 12:38:48 am
Not to be Debby Downer but numbers are numbers.  This is our second consecutive game with below 10,000 fans.  Heath needs to beat some teams of consequence very fast.  The fans are getting board.  I will support them wherever they play no matter who the coach is, but Frank looks at attendence very closely....

I, too, am very concerned about the lack of enthusiasm generated by Heath's teams.  Honestly I had a pretty hard time keeping focused on the game myself.  It was not a very lively performance against a mediocre team.  I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this deal.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Pignominious

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 06, 2006, 12:42:08 am

I, too, am very concerned about the lack of enthusiasm generated by Heath's teams.  Honestly I had a pretty hard time keeping focused on the game myself.  It was not a very lively performance against a mediocre team.  I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this deal.

I have tried to be optomistic about the team and its still very early.  We have good non-conference wins in WVU and SIU, but that Mizzou game was just bad.  We were completely outclassed by a first year program.  My confidence went way down after that.  Maybe that was their wake up call, who knows.  The Bud has been completely dead this year.  DEAD.  Nobody yells, nobody stands up, everybody just sits there and gawks.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Oliverhogman

Wait until Conference games start.  Frank does not worry about how many show up.  He worries about how many tickets are sold.  There were a lot more tickets sold than there were fans in the seats. 

We had about 45 of them being GIVEN away.  You should have dropped by Hogapalooza  8)

Juicemeister

8,000 is cushioning it, big time. I'd say 5,000 at MOST.

Oliverhogman

They most always use the 8,000 number.  Don't know why but they do.

Juicemeister

They used 8,000 in the UMKC game. I've never seen so few people in a Bud Walton men's basketball game in my life. I laughed out loud when I heard attendance was 8,000. 2,500 was more like it.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Juicemeister on December 06, 2006, 01:18:28 am
They used 8,000 in the UMKC game. I've never seen so few people in a Bud Walton men's basketball game in my life. I laughed out loud when I heard attendance was 8,000. 2,500 was more like it.

This is stunning.  Our basketball program has officially died.

There is a reason BWA was built to hold almost 20,000 people.  That reason is this: "we used to NEED that many seats".

RedSatinHog

We're prolly not gonna have to worry about it at the end of the season, guys.  Barring a Steve Fischer-type scenario in Minneapolis, I am quite certain Minnesota is going to come calling and give Heath the Big Ten job he wants so dearly.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Richard_white

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on December 06, 2006, 02:11:13 am
We're prolly not gonna have to worry about it at the end of the season, guys.  Barring a Steve Fischer-type scenario in Minneapolis, I am quite certain Minnesota is going to come calling and give Heath the Big Ten job he wants so dearly.

We can only hope.

Lando Calrissian

A snoozer of epic proportions.

I suppose I could break it down, but that would require more thought process than it deserves (especially at this hour).
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Hawg414

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on December 06, 2006, 02:36:17 am
A snoozer of epic proportions.

I suppose I could break it down, but that would require more thought process than it deserves (especially at this hour).

this is a proverbial cliche... but i honestly, seriously, really did fall asleep watching it. 

frank used to be hardcore...ruthless...and always had fan interest at heart.  football and basketball both.  almost unfathomable that he has slipped this far.  part of me thinks he just doesnt want to rock the boat and make his last year or two (until he gets his 50th anniv) any more difficult than it has to be.  i dunno what else it could be. 

98hogs

Looked pitiful on tv but the 1992 Highlights looked great at Barnhill.  Maybe Stan should play over there so the place would be close to capcaity.  Didn't it hold 9,000?

fourthcrusade

December 06, 2006, 06:00:34 am #14 Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:02:27 am by fourthcrusade
 :)!!

I love it,

You jerks can't bash heath for losing (he isn't anymore), can't bash us fo missing FTs (we make them now), can't say our team lacks chemistry (we have it), can't cut down townes/hill's lack of p[roduction (they are good now), realize we sold like 15K tickets but it was a TUESDAY weeknight so people didn't go so you attack the ACTUAL attendance (even though the BUYING of tickets is what frank careas about, not the using of them in a nonconference weeknight).

You jerks make me laugh sometime :)  ha.... let's bash ATTENDANCE figures!  LOL !!!!!!!!!

MJ2

It's no longer Basketball, it's Boringball and Frank will take action when the revenues get low enough.  Not quite there yet.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: 98hogs on December 06, 2006, 04:47:23 am
Looked pitiful on tv but the 1992 Highlights looked great at Barnhill.  Maybe Stan should play over there so the place would be close to capcaity.  Didn't it hold 9,000?

I think moving back to Barnhill would be a GREAT idea.  I never felt like the UA should have stopped playing there in the first place.

As for my earlier comments, I wouldn't blame Heath for leaving at the end of the year.  He has roots in the Big Ten.  He has rebuilt this team despite a few key defections, the cupboard was totally bare when he got here, and all the fans have done is whine and complain every time he's lost a game.

Most of you guys long for the days when our head coach made a royal arse of himself, but I would be willing to bet you'd be just as much beside yourself screaming "FIRE HIS ARSE!" if it were Bobby Knight on our bench cursing, screaming at, belittling, and even chucking his players once in a while.

20-point losses are part of the game in CBB. It happens to everyone sooner or later.  Don't hang that around Heath's neck.

Hollywood_HOGan

we havent played anybody at Bud Walton Arena at all this year. We havent done anything in the NCAAT in quite some time. It will have been 11 years since we've been to the sweet 16. Football was good this year (could have been great) so that might have something to do with the attendance.

Yeah we used to fill it up no matter what back when we were Final Four calibre and the football team was horrid but those days are gone for right now.

I love basketball but I just cant cant fired up to see us beat a bunch of no named teams. Surely there is some recognizeable name out there willing to come play at Bud Walton Arena.

With that said, the attendance is stiill horrid but will improve in the coming weeks when things get heated back up again. People just cant get fired up for basketball yet especially since we looked so terrible against Missouri.

paraloma

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 06, 2006, 06:00:34 am
:)!!

I love it,

You jerks can't bash heath for losing (he isn't anymore), can't bash us fo missing FTs (we make them now), can't say our team lacks chemistry (we have it), can't cut down townes/hill's lack of p[roduction (they are good now), realize we sold like 15K tickets but it was a TUESDAY weeknight so people didn't go so you attack the ACTUAL attendance (even though the BUYING of tickets is what frank careas about, not the using of them in a nonconference weeknight).

You jerks make me laugh sometime :)  ha.... let's bash ATTENDANCE figures!  LOL !!!!!!!!!

Do you not comprehend the importance of attendance?
Dallas Washington for Heisman

fourthcrusade

Quote from: paraloma on December 06, 2006, 07:56:50 am

Can you comprehend this:
NONCONFERENCE.
NO NAME TEAM FROM AFAR.
WEEKNIGHT.
COLD.
ALSO ON TELEVISION.

SPAL

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 06, 2006, 07:59:44 am
Quote from: paraloma on December 06, 2006, 07:56:50 am

Can you comprehend this:
NONCONFERENCE.
NO NAME TEAM FROM AFAR.
WEEKNIGHT.
COLD.
ALSO ON TELEVISION.

u forgot one...ill add it for you...

HORRIBLE PRODUCT

Conway Cool Daddy

Yaaawn.

Was that a game or a scrimmage?
Most boring game I have ever seen..............

The fans were horrible. I'm afraid Stan is losing the fan base and any good will he has built over the past couple of years.
After Missouri I get the feeling people just don't care.

3000? that sets the standard for "I don't give a damn."

sooie dog

I did not even bother listening on Hogwired.  It's to much trouble to logon and listen to that crap for 2 hours.

RedSatinHog

Quotewe havent played anybody at Bud Walton Arena at all this year.

We're barely even into the month of December.  What do you honestly expect?

QuoteWe havent done anything in the NCAAT in quite some time. It will have been 11 years since we've been to the sweet 16.

A period of time which also includes several lackluster, underachieving years under NR and Mike Anderson.

QuoteWith that said, the attendance is stiill horrid but will improve in the coming weeks when things get heated back up again. People just cant get fired up for basketball yet especially since we looked so terrible against Missouri.

How quickly we forget that we just won a tourney which featured some pretty good mid major schools.  Heck, WV has been on the verge of the final four the past 2 seasons, and no one should be surprised when Marist makes some noise in this year's NCAAT.

Sure, this time last year we had already played some real teams, but most of that came in Hawaii.  The only team which visited Barnhill early in the season was Missouri, but this year it was their turn to be at home.

spudhog

highlights got me all pumped up then we sent this team out there. just a atrociously boring game. i could only take the game in brief periods of a time. the bad thing was, the players seemed about as giddy as the crowd. not much to cheer for and the bud has lost its non-con luster. some our fault but mostly the coaches. conference season rolls around it will have some life.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: spudhog on December 06, 2006, 08:13:01 am
highlights got me all pumped up then we sent this team out there. just a atrociously boring game. i could only take the game in brief periods of a time. the bad thing was, the players seemed about as giddy as the crowd. not much to cheer for and the bud has lost its non-con luster. some our fault but mostly the coaches. conference season rolls around it will have some life.
You are CRAZY.  THe "PLAYER WERE LACKLLUSTER???"  these guys play with the most HEART and PASSION in a decade!~! Jupming for loose balls, LISTENING to our coaches, looking to the crowd....  you're losing all credibility saying the PLAYERS are dead.l..... sheesh.

Btw, it wasn't "3,000".  so stop saying that.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 06, 2006, 08:17:17 am
You are CRAZY.  THe "PLAYER WERE LACKLLUSTER???"  these guys play with the most HEART and PASSION in a decade!~! Jupming for loose balls, LISTENING to our coaches, looking to the crowd....  you're losing all credibility saying the PLAYERS are dead.l..... sheesh.

That Pat Beverly kid is anything BUT uninspired. Bev is exactly what this basketball program has been needing in quite some time.

SOme energy and fire. The kid really gets after it and fires up the crowd.

Beverly will be a great one.

Hollywood_HOGan

December 06, 2006, 08:31:38 am #27 Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 08:51:50 am by Hollywood_HOGan
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on December 06, 2006, 08:12:48 am

QuoteWe havent done anything in the NCAAT in quite some time. It will have been 11 years since we've been to the sweet 16.

A period of time which also includes several lackluster, underachieving years under NR and Mike Anderson.

QuoteWith that said, the attendance is stiill horrid but will improve in the coming weeks when things get heated back up again. People just cant get fired up for basketball yet especially since we looked so terrible against Missouri.

How quickly we forget that we just won a tourney which featured some pretty good mid major schools.  Heck, WV has been on the verge of the final four the past 2 seasons, and no one should be surprised when Marist makes some noise in this year's NCAAT.

Sure, this time last year we had already played some real teams, but most of that came in Hawaii.  The only team which visited Barnhill early in the season was Missouri, but this year it was their turn to be at home.

Hey i think this is going to be a very good basketball team by the time the season is done. I was very impressed with our performance in Orlando.  Its sitll tough to get fired up about some of the opponents in the Bud though.

And yes, in college basketball sometimes you take your beating and move on. I remember our Final Four team just got rocked against Mississippi State in 1995. That game was over by halftime.
What bothers most people about the Mizzou game though is they had a first year coach and Arkansas probably has much more talent than that Mizzou team.

I remember the night that Arkansas beat WVa, coach heath could do no wrong. After we lose a game, he sucks again.

Immensehog

Remember when someone had to die to get basketball season tickets?

Now you find them just laying any old place.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

spudhog

easy killer, less coffee. my opinion only, yours can differ. yeah, after a dunk or timeout they were more lively. of course, beverly is an exciting kid and plays with his heart on his sleeve. they did play hard at times but not for 40 minutes. it is hard to blame them for not looking ahead to this xmas break.  we don't have a lot of rah rah guys out there so there are not gonna be many curtain calls.

RedSatinHog

Alright Hollywood, we're on the same page now.

But about the Missouri game--Everybody pretty much knew that it would be difficult at the very least.  Quinn Snyder didn't exactly leave bare cupboards behind.  They had talent when he left, but no real sense of direction.  Anderson was able to inject some enthusiasm into that, but that's just my humble opinion.  Given that plus a home court in a major conference school, I'll put money on that school every time (figuratively speaking).

Pork Twain

Calm down Stan....  We know your team has no identity and has been soft like you since you started coaching but we still have hope.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

kcstar

The attendance was poor and there was not 8,500 in BWA.  I believe a good part of the reason is that the football season sucked all the energy out of the fans and the Hogs have not given much reason to get on board yet.

I have been to or watched most every game and from my view the juryis still out on this team.  The Hogs have a chance to have a good team but we have an equal chance of having a bad season.  They do not handle the ball well nor pass very well.  They do however shoot free throws much better than any Hog team that I can recall and they do rebound much better.

We will know more about what to realistically expect after the next six games.

I foresee problems in the conference especially when there are three potential final four teams (Florida, Alabama, LSU) plus Kentucky.  And S.C. is much better.  The other teams always seem to be hard for us to beat.  Presently, I think we are looking at a sub-500 conference record.  Boy, I sure hope I am wrong about that one.

On the heels of the good football season I do not think there would be great crowds no matter how well the Hogs were doing.

I would say that if the Hogs win 25 games this year Stan Heath should be the national coach of the year.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: BeoPig on December 06, 2006, 08:38:37 am

Calm down Stan....  We know your team has no identity and has been soft like you since you started coaching but we still have hope.

Our identity is defense.  DUh.  look at our blocks, steals, opponents FG%< opponents 3p%, opponents PPG.  our identity is defense!

Swino

I watched part of that snoozefest and there is no way that 8500 people were there.  They are counting ticket sales.  My official estimate is 4500. 

Talon

Low attendance doesn't surprise me.

I have no plans to attend any basketball games this year, unlike football or baseball.  Heath's basketball program is boring.  The players appear to be uninspired and I have no interest to watch them play cup cakes. 

SPAL

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on December 06, 2006, 08:31:38 am

Hey i think this is going to be a very good basketball team by the time the season is done. I was very impressed with our performance in Orlando.  Its sitll tough to get fired up about some of the opponents in the Bud though.

And yes, in college basketball sometimes you take your beating and move on. I remember our Final Four team just got rocked against Mississippi State in 1995. That game was over by halftime.
What bothers most people about the Mizzou game though is they had a first year coach and Arkansas probably has much more talent than that Mizzou team.

I remember the night that Arkansas beat WVa, coach heath could do no wrong. After we lose a game, he sucks again.

what bothers this arkansas fan about the mizzou loss was that we lost to the coach that should be on our sidelines...we got whipped by 40 minutes of hell and fans remember what that wa slike....then we get word in Atlanta that the hogs trailed at halftime to UMKC and barely hung on to win. It will take a long time to get those images along with buknell out of my head.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 06, 2006, 09:02:04 am

what bothers this arkansas fan about the mizzou loss was that we lost to the coach that should be on our sidelines...we got whipped by 40 minutes of hell and fans remember what that wa slike....then we get word in Atlanta that the hogs trailed at halftime to UMKC and barely hung on to win. It will take a long time to get those images along with buknell out of my head.

YOU SAID THIS YESTERDAY.  WE DIDN'T "BARELY" HANG ON TO WIN, WE BEAT THEM BY FIFTEEN POINTS.
Just because you "GOT WORD IN ATLANTA" and then sat and said 'we are bad, mmhmm' doesn't make it true.  I'll bet you believe what you read on Wikipedia too.. LOL

kcstar

All of the Hog teams play cupcakes especially in football (Utah State, ULM, SEMO)-75% of the non-conference schedule.

I would not rate the basketball schedule as having 75% cupcakes.  Already played at least four teams that will likely be in the NCAA and have three or four more before conference steason.

russellrazorback

the attendance last night looked awful on tv. i am glad that it was only on ARSN. I was shocked.

DeltaBoy

Stan just needs to win and win often and the attendance will take care of its's self.  Win the SEC WEST and the House will be Rocken!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ThisLittlePiggieSays

Well the attendance should tell you  where our program has went and just how many fans are displeased  with the style of basketball that the coach  has brought in to our house   Coach Stan  isnt any better  than a highschool coach.....and look at the attendance record  over the same time  with Coach Nutt  even the losing records  with went thru   there still  was plenty of support  for the Coach Nutt and the players. that right there  should tell you  only a small percentage of fans in football (nutthaters)  doesnt like Coach Nutt..

fourthcrusade

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggieSays on December 06, 2006, 11:01:58 am
Well the attendance should tell you  where our program has went and just how many fans are displeased  with the style of basketball that the coach  has brought in to our house   Coach Stan  isnt any better  than a highschool coach.....and look at the attendance record  over the same time  with Coach Nutt  even the losing records  with went thru   there still  was plenty of support  for the Coach Nutt and the players. that right there  should tell you  only a small percentage of fans in football (nutthaters)  doesnt like Coach Nutt..

except, this game was on a cold tuesday weeknight you could watch on tv.

correct me if im wrong, but aren't all non-lsu football are on saturdays?  and the cupcakes are never televised? where people don't have to work as much?  and you can sit OUTSIDE in 'nice' weather?  weekends, when families can travel?  and including lil'ole war memorial, which seats fewer people?

GAG.

Beaverfever

I'll be honest.  I can throw a rock at BWA and I didn't even go.  It was on tv and I can't drink in BWA

SPAL

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 06, 2006, 09:04:05 am
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 06, 2006, 09:02:04 am

YOU SAID THIS YESTERDAY.  WE DIDN'T "BARELY" HANG ON TO WIN, WE BEAT THEM BY FIFTEEN POINTS.
Just because you "GOT WORD IN ATLANTA" and then sat and said 'we are bad, mmhmm' doesn't make it true.  I'll bet you believe what you read on Wikipedia too.. LOL

tell ya what ostrich...go ahead and add points to make the score look better for your cause. Im sure wikipedia would have gotten the score right...so in this case, yes i woudl have believed it, you make yourself look like a dang fool when you call somebody out and dont even get the score right....stupid ostrich....heck, The prestigious Wolverines of Utah Valley state beat the roos worse than we did.

Winner

Our fans aren't very good.  We haven't filled Bud Walton on a consistent basis since 1995.

HawgAdvocate

December 06, 2006, 11:40:22 am #46 Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:49:31 am by HawgAdvocate
u forgot one...ill add it for you...

HORRIBLE PRODUCT

That's the most HORRIBLE post I've seen all week. What about this team and this season makes it HORRIBLE? You're not even a fan.

You can't be. Not with an opinion like that.

You can't be a supportor of Razorback athletics with unfounded comments like that.

Key word being "unfounded!!"

It's one thing to cast stones, it's another to give sound reasoning why those stones are being cast. And all you're serving is a bunch of hooey.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Immensehog

Quote from: Winner on December 06, 2006, 11:30:38 am
Our fans aren't very good.  We haven't filled Bud Walton on a consistent basis since 1995.

Move all the games to Little Rock.
;)
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

HognotinMemphis

I had board last night.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 06, 2006, 12:42:08 am

Not only are Heath's teams boring but Heath himself is very boring. He is not nearly as interesting to watch as Nolan was or as a coach like Calipari is. I'd rather watch grass grow than watch Heath during a ball game.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.