Started by Jim Red23, November 18, 2006, 07:05:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Red23

SFA scores

70-59. Hogs win.

Game over.

My post game analys in a second.

The Coletrain

Four guys in double figures tonight.  Not the prettiest win, but good balance on offense.
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

hawaiianhogster

Razorbacks#1

Great day for Hog/Razorback Nation. FB & BB wins. What's better? Go Hogs!
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: The Coletrain on November 18, 2006, 08:52:11 pm
Four guys in double figures tonight.  Not the prettiest win, but good balance on offense.
SFA is a pretty good BB team.  This was a good win, and showed a lot of progress from this time last year IMO.

The Coletrain

Thanks again, Red. 

While we had four guys in double figures, Manimal was shut out.  That can't be good news.  We need him to be a big contributor this year.  And little to no contributions from Washington or McGowan.  Our 3 and 4s are supposed to be our strength this year.  We're going to need a little more offense from that area if we're going to be a factor in the SEC. 

Table Rocker

thanks red, looking forward to the post game, i think you should be the official basketball game thread dude

bigyellowdog

hogfancb

hogfan11

Jim Red23

Ok, here's my recap of the game.

-Sonny Weems had a great game with 24 points and 11 rebounds. I knew he was a high flyer but I didn't know he was also a decent shooter!

-Hill was a complete monster. He should change his last name to Mountain because no one can shoot over him. (12 points and 7 blocks!) He could have a triple double before he leaves here.

-Beverly didn't have a monster game again but we can't expect a freshmen to score 30 points every night. (5 points and 4 rebounds isn't bad.)

-Vincent Hunter is shooting pretty good behind the arc. I just hope he stays healthy this year. (11 points 5 rebounds)

-Townes wasn't bad either 6 points and 3 blocks in 11 minutes.

Now the things we need to work on. How about keeping a lead? We had two or three 11 point leads and gave them away every time. We need to hold on to those and add on if we can. I also noticed we had a lot of charges. I like how our guys are penetrating hard but they can't go out of control. We also can't turn it over as much.

On Stephen F. Austin:

Great game for the guys. They shot very well, were patient, didn't turn it over much, and stayed in the game with an SEC team. Congratulations to them.

BUT...that doesn't mean they are a great team. Arkansas is going to have to play alot better to do good in the SEC but I believe we can come together and be a pretty good team.

The bottom line...We won and are undefeated! (lol)

(Your welcome everyone.)

bao187

i am a little worried over an 11 point win over SFA, i know the football team barely beat vanderbilt and utah state and are having an amazing year but 11 points and is wasnt a pretty 11 points SFA broke arkansas down at times in the ball game maybe its because its a young season but holy cow the game kept my emotions going up and down until the 13 point run by the razorbacks thanks to weems
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

The Coletrain

Good win, but I hope we can get more out of Townes and Thomas in future games.   I love the D and intensity Hill brings, but I don't know that we can count on him for double figures night-in and night-out.  We're going to need T&T before the year is out, and 11 minutes a game is not going to get it done.

Table Rocker

Jim Red23

Quote from: bao187 on November 18, 2006, 09:06:48 pm
i am a little worried over an 11 point win over SFA, i know the football team barely beat vanderbilt and utah state and are having an amazing year but 11 points and is wasnt a pretty 11 points SFA broke arkansas down at times in the ball game maybe its because its a young season but holy cow the game kept my emotions going up and down until the 13 point run by the razorbacks thanks to weems

Ya, I am too but there are some nights where your opponent is going to make everything they throw up but we are going to have to play better against Souther Illinois to win that one.

Coletrain,

Do you have any idea why Townes only played 11 minutes? I mean he didn't sound like he was doing too bad. He had no rebounds either!

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jim Red23 on November 18, 2006, 09:02:23 pm
-Beverly didn't have a monster game again but we can't expect a freshmen to score 30 points every night. (5 points and 4 rebounds isn't bad.)

That was rather prophetic.   He mentioned in an interview after the first game that this is a well balanced team, one night he gets 29 and Weems get 5, next night Weems gets 20+ and he gets 5.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jim Red23

Quote from: Table Rocker on November 18, 2006, 09:09:01 pm
good stuff red, thanks brotha

I never knew how hard it was to do play by play in basketball...if I had to be on the radio and do play by play, I would sound like drunken monkey.

The Coletrain

Your last sentence may be why.  He's had a tendancy to relax a little on D in the past.  Which is why Hill gets the majority of the minutes.  They used to play a lot at the same time, but haven't as much recently.  I know Townes was in the doghouse a little last year, but he's our best offensive threat in the paint.  I hope we get him back to 25 minutes per game or so. 

I think I know what SH is doing though.  Hill and Thomas are the best defensive players of our bigs, but neither are great scorers.  Which is why Hunter is playing more minutes.  He's a good shooter and offensive rebounder.  And what he lacks in bulk he makes up for with his hustle (and it doesn't hurt to be 6-10 with long arms).  I think that's probably the rotation we're going to get used to seeing - Hill/Hunter & Townes/Thomas.  Both Hill and Hunter played well tonight, so I guess we saw a little less of the other two.  We'll see how that works out.  Nice luxury to have that depth as long as the kids accept their role and shared minutes.

Jim Red23

Quote from: The Coletrain on November 18, 2006, 09:15:07 pm
Your last sentence may be why.  He's had a tendancy to relax a little on D in the past.  Which is why Hill gets the majority of the minutes.  They used to play a lot at the same time, but haven't as much recently.  I know Townes was in the doghouse a little last year, but he's our best offensive threat in the paint.  I hope we get him back to 25 minutes per game or so. 

I think I know what SH is doing though.  Hill and Thomas are the best defensive players of our bigs, but neither are great scorers.  Which is why Hunter is playing more minutes.  He's a good shooter and offensive rebounder.  And what he lacks in bulk he makes up for with his hustle (and it doesn't hurt to be 6-10 with long arms).  I think that's probably the rotation we're going to get used to seeing - Hill/Hunter & Townes/Thomas.  Both Hill and Hunter played well tonight, so I guess we saw a little less of the other two.  We'll see how that works out.  Nice luxury to have that depth as long as the kids accept their role and shared minutes.

Thats the thing we needed last year....depth.

SiriusHog™

just got back from the game... kind of lackluster performance, but i thought that Hill and Weems were awesome...

stronguard

I'm still not sold on STANLEY.  IMO we get lazy when we take the lead, and it starts at the top.  Last year it seemed like we struggled with simple inbounds plays, both executing and defending.  I haven't seen much more than highlights so far this season, but it sounds like we still struggle in those areas.  Last year's 1 and done in the tourney did nothing more than give him one more year to win in the tourney. 

Bottom line is we struggled with our consistency against a cupcake.  SFA had a few decent atheletes, but in no way should they be able to hang with upper echelon division 1 teams.   We have enough talent, the question is do we have the smarts to use it.  The ball is in STANLEY'S court, I hope he proves me wrong.  WPS
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

The Coletrain

Every time I think of Stanley I think of Kingpin.  It doesn't get much funnier than a bald, fat, hook-handed Woody Harrelson wearing a plad bowling outfit. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

The only way we can get rid of Stan is if some pissant mid major school get's hot during the tourney and their first year coach beats Indiana and makes it to the Elite 8.  Then we go after him and go after him hard because that's the guy who can build this program
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bao187

Quote from: The Coletrain on November 18, 2006, 10:17:37 pm
Every time I think of Stanley I think of Kingpin.  It doesn't get much funnier than a bald, fat, hook-handed Woody Harrelson wearing a plad bowling outfit. 
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.