Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nutt to UNC rumor makes SI

Started by football17, October 24, 2006, 10:55:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HOG71

I must have missed the sentence where it said Nutt was headed to UNC?  Looks like Nutt will be a name that will be thrown around

football17

Quote from: HOG71 on October 24, 2006, 10:56:49 am
I must have missed the sentence where it said Nutt was headed to UNC?  Looks like Nutt will be a name that will be thrown around

Correct... note the word "rumor" 

HOG71

Your title reverses the actual contents of the article

mckinneyhog

I just love rumors.  I was once rumored to have been the brother of Mitch Mustain, but it was just a rumor. 

HogFaninGA

A lot of times, these rumors have merit.  Agents for the coaches (that are thinking of moving) send out feelers to see how much interest there is in their client.  I'm hoping this is the case with HDN.

DeltaBoy

Old News :P Call me when you see his cheerleader Agent flying to Chapel Hill !!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

football17

Quote from: HOG71 on October 24, 2006, 10:59:03 am

Nutt is rumored to possibly be going to UNC.. that's what the thread says... I dont get your point...

mckinneyhog

Mark my word, Nutt is not going to UNC, I wish he was.

football17

This is just the first time we've seen his name mentioned nationally....

onehogfan

gonna make the darksiders hyave an inordinate amount of hope .....NUTT is here for awhile............deal with it

1stwordswerewoopig

Nutt has a GREAT agent.

Remember how he created the entire buzz about Nutt being "wanted" at Nebraska?  How about Nutt being on the "short list" at L.S.U.?

Being on the list can't hurt your career.  It gets your name out there on a national market.

If not leaves for UNC, he IS as crazy as some of you say.

hogsanity

I just can not believe that HDn leaves on his onw this year.  I mean, next year we will start ranked top 15, most likely.  A majority of the players will be back.  We will have another spring/summer, and August to put in more of the Gus philosophy, and another good season could sned HDn to a much better job than the repair a wreck at NC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Richard_white

Man I love that everyone has inside knowledge that Nutt is staying/leaving.  Book it, mark it down and take it to the bank quote is getting used as much as Fire Houston Nutt.

No one knows where HDN is going.  The only things is for sure is nothing is for sure.  You can take that to the bank.

mckinneyhog

Quote from: onehogfan on October 24, 2006, 11:00:51 am
gonna make the darksiders hyave an inordinate amount of hope .....NUTT is here for awhile............deal with it

I am not a darksider, but becoming more tan as the days pass. I don't know if I agree with you on that.  If Nutt is going to be here for awhile, then Ark. will have to give him a pay raise, in which I don't think will happen.  In all honesty we don't even need a head coach.  Lets take his 1.5 million salary per year and build a nice zoo so we can put Nutt in it. 

Ish O

Its this kind of crap that puts a dagger in recruiting and then the same people who create and celebrate these kind of threads will be asking why recruiting wasn't as good as expected when February rolls around. Nutt is NOT going to UNC. Period.

Swynler Durden

Quote from: Richard_white on October 24, 2006, 11:04:27 am
Man I love that everyone has inside knowledge that Nutt is staying/leaving.  Book it, mark it down and take it to the bank quote is getting used as much as Fire Houston Nutt.

No one knows where HDN is going.  The only things is for sure is nothing is for sure.  You can take that to the bank.
You forgot "bet that"

Swynler Durden

Quote from: Ish O on October 24, 2006, 11:06:51 am
Its this kind of crap that puts a dagger in recruiting and then the same people who create and celebrate these kind of threads will be asking why recruiting wasn't as good as expected. Nutt is NOT going to UNC. Period.
Actually Nutt's lack of effort in recruiting is what puts a dagger in recruiting.

PigPusher

But we do know that he has itchy feet.  With Coach Malzahn in place Coach Nutt might just decide to travel given the right road to move down. He is not old enough to succumb to the draw of the athletic director, so the only recourse is to seek a bigger fortune elsewhere.  That being there is simply not enough room in Dodge for two gunslingers. His travel to another venue would indeed be a good solution to everyone's  needs and that is not at all being critical of him in any way.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

tundrahawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2006, 11:04:04 am
I just can not believe that HDn leaves on his onw this year.  I mean, next year we will start ranked top 15, most likely.  A majority of the players will be back.  We will have another spring/summer, and August to put in more of the Gus philosophy, and another good season could sned HDn to a much better job than the repair a wreck at NC.
Ok so coaches actually get jobs that are not wrecks?  People are mostly hired to repair the damage the previous coach did that makes no sense.  

Since 1894

Sounds like a good agent gettting ready to renegotiate his client's current contract.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

mckinneyhog

Do you think Nutt knows where he will be next year?

HogHillbilly

Looks to me like it's all about Butch
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

EastexHawg

I don't even dream that good.  It's like your wife asking if you would mind accompanying her good friend Jessica Alba on a trip to the Cayman Islands.  You can fantasize about it all you want, but it will never happen.

mbgrulz

Quote from: football17 on October 24, 2006, 11:00:13 am
Quote from: HOG71 on October 24, 2006, 10:59:03 am

Nutt is rumored to possibly be going to UNC.. that's what the thread says... I dont get your point...
wow. thats what you got out of that? bless your heart. first of all, the guy who wrote this works for the charlotte observer, so he is doing a little bit of research and a whole lot of wishful thinking. you cant tell me rich rodriguez would leave WVU for UNC. at WVU, he must win one tough game per year (louisville) and then he is in consideration for the NC if he goes undefeated. houston is where he wants to be. sure, there are the haters, but there are plenty of people that are happy with him and if you have ever been a coach, you know that is how it will be everywhere.

Hoop

Its this kind of crap that puts a dagger in recruiting and then the same people who create and celebrate these kind of threads will be asking why recruiting wasn't as good as expected when February rolls around. Nutt is NOT going to UNC. Period.
Yeah were the ones that are hurting recruiting. Good one. I guess we have hurt it the last 8 years, cause it hasn't been worth shiite.
Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

mckinneyhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 24, 2006, 11:11:12 am
I don't even dream that good.  It's like your wife asking if you would mind accompanying her good friend Jessica Alba on a trip to the Cayman Islands.  You can fantasize about it all you want, but it will never happen.

You know it was rumored that you went to the Cayman Islands with Jessica Alba.   ;)

LA HAWG

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2006, 11:04:04 am

I actually agree with Hogsanity here.  The program is finally getting to where he wants it.  We will be ranked high next season.  Why jump, by choice, to a team like NC?   Just would not make sense.  Dale is hard-headed you know.

Richard_white

Quote from: mckinneyhog on October 24, 2006, 11:10:56 am

lol  Nutt knows money.  He will follow the money.  Here or at another school. 

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Swynler Durden on October 24, 2006, 11:07:51 am

You forgot "bet that"

"Book It" has always been my favorite. ;)
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hog_fan

Wouldn't suprise me to see Nutt and his agent sucker Broyles into another raise. Couple years from now he will ask for another two year pass and get it. I personally would rather keep Gus then Nutt. I can't  see them  being on same staff next year.

fire_hog

Riiiight. Nutt has nothing to do with it. It's all us nasty internet rats. Heck, I'll bet most of us are actually fans of another team sent here to incite controversy. He never really wanted to go to Nebraska, never coveted the LSU job, never told people he wanted the Texas A&M job. It's all us.

The funny thing is, Nutt could end all of this by saying after the game Saturday, "I am not a candidate for any coaching job in America. If contacted, I will not interview. Arkansas is where I will coach until my services are no longer needed here".
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

mckinneyhog

Quote from: Richard_white on October 24, 2006, 11:14:19 am

I think most of us will follow money.  Money has this weird way of influencing us. 

mckinneyhog

Quote from: opineonswine on October 24, 2006, 11:18:00 am
Since the smite button is gone, let me be the first to say that HDN's leaving would be good for the University of Arkansas.  I'm ok if he continues to win and stays too.  But since we now see that we can do better than 6 wins a year, there should be no going back to that mediocrity.  Obviously it CAN be done.  We CAN compete with the upper tier.  Not doing it is unacceptable.  If that's too much pressure on HDN, who gets paid handsomely for his stress, then adios.  There are others with equal or better skill who will accept the challenge. 

For 1.5 million I will accept it.

Swynler Durden

Quote from: fire_hog on October 24, 2006, 11:15:46 am

Riiiight. Nutt has nothing to do with it. It's all us nasty internet rats. Heck, I'll bet most of us are actually fans of another team sent here to incite controversy. He never really wanted to go to Nebraska, never coveted the LSU job, never told people he wanted the Texas A&M job. It's all us.

The funny thing is, Nutt could end all of this by saying after the game Saturday, "I am not a candidate for any coaching job in America. If contacted, I will not interview. Arkansas is where I will coach until my services are no longer needed here".
Another thing along the lines of your post that I have wondered about lately is this:
Every time there has been a rumor going around (dissention in the coaching staff, players threatening to transfer, Gus's system and HDN's control, etc...) we have gotten a response from the in-state traditional media. Wally or Clay write a column addressing it, Chuck talks about it on Sportsrap, Rick refutes it on Drivetime and so on. Except this. No one will touch this one. If HDN isn't considering his options, why haven't we been treated to a barrage of articles and call in show lectures telling us that he loves the helmet and has no intention of leaving?

Richard_white

Quote from: Swynler Durden on October 24, 2006, 11:22:07 am

Another thing along the lines of your post that I have wondered about lately is this:
Every time there has been a rumor going around (dissention in the coaching staff, players threatening to transfer, Gus's system and HDN's control, etc...) we have gotten a response from the in-state traditional media. Wally or Clay write a column addressing it, Chuck talks about it on Sportsrap, Rick refutes it on Drivetime and so on. Except this. No one will touch this one. If HDN isn't considering his options, why haven't we been treated to a barrage of articles and call in show lectures telling us that he loves the helmet and has no intention of leaving?

Because they have been burned a couple of times by Nutt flirting with other schools.

Idahog

This is the second part of a two phase rumor, most thought Nutt would be fired after a loss to Vandy, a shaky win there along with Bama kept speculation going until Auburn.  Now that its pretty clear the outright firing for bad performance chance is gone many people see only one more rumored scenario.  The scenario is that the boosters have given Nutt a chance to gloss up his resume this season in an effort to get a semi-decent job elsewhere.  The poor recruiting effort, RH's son being offered by NC and rumor mill gossip all add fuel to these speculations.  The end-game for the rumors is that BD will come in and take over as HC while he waits for the Dallas Cowboy's HC job to open up, by that time Gus is ready to take over and a tradition is born.

I agree that he doesn't leave on his own though.  He has a 2 million dollar bonus at the end of his 10th year here, thats enough to not leave I'd imagine, on top of having his team set up nicely for its first shot at a NC run in many many moons next year.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

hogsNbeer

I dont' care where he goes...As long as he is not at Arkansas after this season... :puke:

excoach

mckinneyhog

Do we really give a rats arse if Nutt is here next year?  I for one will sleep just fine at night if he decides to leave. 

mckinneyhog

Swynler Durden

mckinneyhog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on October 24, 2006, 11:27:09 am

Sounds like to me he's trying to get a raise here.  Since 1894 nailed it.  If he doesn't get a raise, he'll threaten to bail again.  I think he's always felt underappreciated here, or at the very least the last few years.  He just got a raise after 2003.  I don't really know what basis he thinks his raise should be granted.  One good year out of three ???

Inflation.  :)

Richard_white

Sounds like to me he's trying to get a raise here.  Since 1894 nailed it.  If he doesn't get a raise, he'll threaten to bail again.  I think he's always felt underappreciated here, or at the very least the last few years.  He just got a raise after 2003.  I don't really know what basis he thinks his raise should be granted.  One good year out of three ???

Nutt is a good rah rah man.  I can see him doing this after the season is over.

Hey Frank I got something to tell ya.

Give me an...R

Give me an   A

Give me an   I

Give me an  S

Give me an  E

What's that spell Frank?  Raise!...Raise!...Raise! 

GuvHog

Because this rumor is so ridiculous it isn't worth the waste of their time to address it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mckinneyhog

Quote from: Richard_white on October 24, 2006, 11:31:59 am

Nutt is a good rah rah man.  I can see him doing this after the season is over.

Hey Frank I got something to tell ya.

Give me an...R

Give me an   A

Give me an   I

Give me an  S

Give me an  E

What's that spell Frank?  Raise!...Raise!...Raise! 

LOL, that was good.

dana caldwell

October 24, 2006, 11:37:08 am #46 Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:39:12 am by dana caldwell
he wants more than a raise, folks. he wants control. total control, including calling all the plays. he wants as far away from that meddling JFB as possible. and he wants to be able to tote his brother and buddies with him to his next stop. he has positioned himself, in this season given to him just for this reason, to be able to get all of this done with a hefty salary to boot.

it's really not that complicated.

it may not be UNC (altho that's the scenario in my mind) but it will be somewhere else.

Swynler Durden

October 24, 2006, 11:37:41 am #47 Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:42:08 am by Swynler Durden
Quote from: GUVHOG on October 24, 2006, 11:34:02 am

Because this rumor is so ridiculous it isn't worth the waste of their time to address it.
But I thought all those others rumors were "ridiculous" too? ???
Chuck and co. "wasted" all kinds of time telling us that they were.

wacohog

Quote from: Idahog on October 24, 2006, 11:24:41 am
This is the second part of a two phase rumor, most thought Nutt would be fired after a loss to Vandy, a shaky win there along with Bama kept speculation going until Auburn.  Now that its pretty clear the outright firing for bad performance chance is gone many people see only one more rumored scenario.  The scenario is that the boosters have given Nutt a chance to gloss up his resume this season in an effort to get a semi-decent job elsewhere.  The poor recruiting effort, RH's son being offered by NC and rumor mill gossip all add fuel to these speculations.  The end-game for the rumors is that BD will come in and take over as HC while he waits for the Dallas Cowboy's HC job to open up, by that time Gus is ready to take over and a tradition is born.

If it is okay with you guys, I'll just pray that this one is the truth

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Idahog on October 24, 2006, 11:24:41 am
The scenario is that the boosters have given Nutt a chance to gloss up his resume this season in an effort to get a semi-decent job elsewhere.

This is such a load.  No boosters are pushing for a new coach anymore.  If Nutt leaves it will be because he gets a big raise from some desperate school in a year when a lot of good jobs will open.  If the Hogs finish well, he will be a candidate for other jobs, and nobody should gripe about his loyalty.  Big dollars will fly this winter.
[CENSORED]!