Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would you feel if GM took another coaching job at the end of this year?

Started by Coacht, October 23, 2006, 03:11:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coacht

Think about it, this scenario could happen. if Arkansas continues to win big games on national TV and his trick plays and unorthodox play calling continues to work, it is just a matter of time before GM becomes a favorite with ESPN analyst and he becomes a household name. So, do you think Gus getting offers at the end of this season a reality? and if so how would you feel if he left?
Statements of the year - "I think play calling sometimes is overrated." and "I will never hire an offensive Coordinator"

HDN Top 25 finishes....
2006 = 15th / 16th        2001 = nope
2005 = nope                 2000 = nope
2004 = nope                 1999 = 17th
2003 = nope                 1998 = 16th
2002 = 25th

PulledPork

Quote from: Coacht on October 23, 2006, 03:11:55 pm
Think about it, this scenario could happen. if Arkansas continues to win big games on national TV and his trick plays and unorthodox play calling continues to work, it is just a matter of time before GM becomes a favorite with ESPN analyst and he becomes a household name. So, do you think Gus getting offers at the end of this season a reality? and if so how would you feel if he left?
It may not just be the offers that entice him to leave, might be if NumbNutts stays also.  But to answer the question......typical for Arkansas to let the good ones slip away and keep the trash!

Pulled out...

upperdeck_hawg

GM is getting great press. I've read articles with him being mentioned in the same sentence with Spurrier and Meyer. Big ole National Champion Texas even copied his trick play last week. Gus will be a HC soon somewhere. Hope its here.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

FAT HOG

Unfortunately that comes with having the best assistant they often get good offers and leave to be the head man i hope we get to keep him awhile.

HogHillbilly

I'd like to see it here next year....................I pray that Nutt doesn't run him off
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

hogmary

I would be very upset if he left.  I don't think he would be replaced with a new OC if he left and HDN stayed.

jackwalker

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 23, 2006, 03:15:31 pm
GM is getting great press. I've read articles with him being mentioned in the same sentence with Spurrier and Meyer. Big ole National Champion Texas even copied his trick play last week. Gus will be a HC soon somewhere. Hope its here.

What play?  I bet it was the tackle-eligable play...
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

dana caldwell

SwinedMelon

"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Hog Fan 51

The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: jackwalker on October 23, 2006, 03:16:46 pm

texas ran the reggie fish (woody) play against nebraska. they lost yardage.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

PulledPork

the reggie fish "fumblerooskie" play, it didn't work for texASS though...

Pulled out...

RAZORBART

richer if GM  leaves and HDN stays because I would drop my tickets and donation.

PulledPork

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 23, 2006, 03:20:20 pm
Quote from: jackwalker on October 23, 2006, 03:16:46 pm

texas ran the reggie fish (woody) play against nebraska. they lost yardage.
damn, you so fast it just messes me up!

Pulled out...

LZH

...just as bad as I would if Nutt did leave and Butch was passed on.

Nap

GM is getting great press. I've read articles with him being mentioned in the same sentence with Spurrier and Meyer.

Really?  Let's all take a deep breath and come back to planet Earth.  GM may make a good head coach someday, but anyone seriously comparing him to the likes of Meyer and Spurrier is drinking spiked Kool-Aid.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

enwhog

Not a reality.  And I would be happy for him.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

arkjay19

Some CUSA school or another mid-major is very likely to offer such a popular and widely known assistant like Malzahn.  It would surprise me a lot, but it would surprise me less if he stayed.

1stwordswerewoopig

I would be happy for him.  Look at it this way if you are "on the Gus Bus," he needs some head coach experience at the college level before JFB could give him the job.  This would speed things up.

Here is a question for the Springdale insiders...Who does Gus have in mind for his ideal staff?

Would he interview for every spot or would he call up some of the guys that he worked with in H.S.?

You know that if he wants to be a Head Coach he has given this some thought.

And, don't you think that would be one of the questions asked of him in an interview.  If we hire you, how can we be assured that you'll bring a qualified staff...etc.

I personally think that it will be a few more years before he gets a shot.  However, I wouldn't have guessed the move from H.S. to Off. Coord. either.

chshog

I would not be a happy camper but I don't expect both GM and HDN to both be here next year.

RedRiverHog

IMHO...GM is not going anywhere, nor are any of the players. Regardless of Nutt staying or going.

He will not leave the freshman players. I believe they ALL came here for one reason, to win a NC...Together.....

Now if/when that happens GM staying here may be another story.

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

HatfieldHog

How would I feel?  Well, like I just got kicked in the Belly by a horse!

Everybody on the staff is expendable except Gus!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

HoopS

I would be very let down.  Call me greedy, but I don't want to see him go elsewhere and set the world on fire when he could stay here and help get our program to the next level.  I don't think he is getting to do all the things he wants and yet, you can see his influence already.  He has adjusted his philosophy right in front of our eyes.  Just imagine what next year will look like if he is allowed to stamp his seal all over our offense.

Letting Gus get away would be a HUGE mistake.

razorpimp

There is no way a D-I school would give him a chance after one year of college experience.  He could possibly go to a D-II school.  Clint Conque had a great offense at Louisiana Tech for years and he went to UCA.  Maybe 2-3 years of consistent, good offense stats from Arkansas and he could go somewhere.....who knows, he may want to go to the NFL as a coordinator if given the chance, eventually.

TouchdownRazrbcks

I dont think he would. I think he'll be here until his guys are Sr's. Then he'll move on... Well I dont think he'll take a mid level job before then...

Adam Stokes

If he leaves, it will be after the Springdale players graduate, (at least I hope so) Not sure if Nutt will still be coach by then if Broyles decides to retire, but even if Malzahn leaves, I'm sure he'd come back once the head coaching position was open.

PigPusher

Well if we knew what is happening in the background we probably would not have to ask that question.  Gaze always into the wind in your face and turn not from the welcoming light. You have to believe and all will be revealed to you. The future is bright!!!  You must believe.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

enwhog

No program worth a crap is going to hire him after this season homers!  Take off your homer glasses and see reality.  He's doing a fine job right now but nobody is going to come after him after 1 yr of college asst experience.

FAT HOG

I think he will stay at least until the Springdale guys are gone he promised them he would take care of them, he couldn't do that from another school.  I think everyone will continue to be buddies on the hill if we keep on winning and next year will be the best year we have seen in the last 30.

DEVICEHIGH

Quote from: dana caldwell on October 23, 2006, 03:17:18 pm
if nutt leaves, malzahn stays. period.

Period?
If Coach Nutt leaves then I think everybodys elses job is in question.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

SteelShot

I don't think it is a reality that he'll be offered a head job from a D-1 school this year, maybe a program like Harding or another smaller program. The high school thing still scares schools off, even though it didnt phase us one bit.

I think that having your assistants leave and take head jobs other places is a sign that you are hiring the right assistants and they and the team are doing a good job.  If they weren't doing a good job, no one would want them.
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

stan the man

i don't see him going anywhere, especially since he is not running his plays, but mainly Houston's plays with a little variation.  Maybe you would see him get offers if he were allowed total conrol of the offense, and not being spoon fed on Houstons stuff.

TOM "tbw1"

I would feel much as I felt in the previous years watching the poor play calling and our sinking back into the morass.

GM is the man who brought a new attitude and new life into the program.  He leaves and we are back on life support.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

imahoggie

i would be fine and would still go to as many games as i could. i would wish gus all the best and do my best to keep up with him and how his new team does. if this did happen, it would most likely send this program spiraling downward and we would wind up starting from scratch almost.
Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Nap on October 23, 2006, 03:23:04 pm
GM is getting great press. I've read articles with him being mentioned in the same sentence with Spurrier and Meyer.

Really?  Let's all take a deep breath and come back to planet Earth.  GM may make a good head coach someday, but anyone seriously comparing him to the likes of Meyer and Spurrier is drinking spiked Kool-Aid.

GM has done nothing but succeed everywhere he's coached.  Why would that be any different as UA's next HC?  The guy understands football and knows how to get his players to understand football, as well--and he could do it NOW!!

Is a comparison to Meyer & Spurrier valid?  Yes.  Premature?  Maybe.  Only time will tell.  I certainly wouldn't discount the comparisons just because of his lack of college experience; a brilliant mind is a brilliant mind, regardless of experience...

Of course, I'll take my Kool-Aid in the red-punch-trash-can variety, thank you very much!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PulledPork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 23, 2006, 05:14:59 pm
Quote from: Nap on October 23, 2006, 03:23:04 pm

GM has done nothing but succeed everywhere he's coached.  Why would that be any different as UA's next HC?  The guy understands football and knows how to get his players to understand football, as well--and he could do it NOW!!

Is a comparison to Meyer & Spurrier valid?  Yes.  Premature?  Maybe.  Only time will tell.  I certainly wouldn't discount the comparisons just because of his lack of college experience; a brilliant mind is a brilliant mind, regardless of experience...

Of course, I'll take my Kool-Aid in the red-punch-trash-can variety, thank you very much!!
I could have passed geometry in the 11th grade if Gus was my teacher!

Pulled out...

golfballgreg

he isnt going anywhere.  One good season does not make you a hot commodity.  3 years.....perhaps.  I dont recall fighting others for GM to come here.  you guys are all such homers that you think he is the greatest OC ever.  Come on.  I bet he has not a single D-1 offer to go anywhere.  He is a great fit here, and has helped our offense tremendously....but I think I could have improved our terrible offense. And, he is home state boy.  He and HDN are ours for a while.  Nutts not going, and neither is Gus.

hog caller

Hogalicous

Quote from: SteelShot on October 23, 2006, 04:49:02 pm
I don't think it is a reality that he'll be offered a head job from a D-1 school this year, maybe a program like Harding or another smaller program. The high school thing still scares schools off, even though it didnt phase us one bit.

I think that having your assistants leave and take head jobs other places is a sign that you are hiring the right assistants and they and the team are doing a good job.  If they weren't doing a good job, no one would want them.

Amen, why would you people be pissed if Gus left for another school? (which he wont by the way, no one is going to offer hm a job after one season at UA, get a grip on reality) When your assitant coaches start getting hired by bigger programs or get hired as HC's that is a sign that your program is on the rise. When you can bring in assistants that are hot commodities. Look at how many of Carroll's assistants have moved on the become HC on their own, same thing with Oklahoma when they were good, same thing with Texa$$ now. Even if Gus left, that doesnt mean all the sudden we can't run the plays that the teams spent over a year learning. IF he did for whatever reason leave, Alex would step in as OC, we would hire a new qb coach, and we would run the same damn offense as we are running this season. Some of you people are CLUELESS.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogalicous on October 23, 2006, 05:46:37 pm

Amen, why would you people be pissed if Gus left for another school? (which he wont by the way, no one is going to offer hm a job after one season at UA, get a grip on reality) When your assitant coaches start getting hired by bigger programs or get hired as HC's that is a sign that your program is on the rise. When you can bring in assistants that are hot commodities. Look at how many of Carroll's assistants have moved on the become HC on their own, same thing with Oklahoma when they were good, same thing with Texa$$ now. Even if Gus left, that doesnt mean all the sudden we can't run the plays that the teams spent over a year learning. IF he did for whatever reason leave, Alex would step in as OC, we would hire a new qb coach, and we would run the same damn offense as we are running this season. Some of you people are CLUELESS.

Are you saying that the offense we watch every Saturday has nothing to do with GM?  Maybe it's all Nutt?  Is that why we'd see the same damn offense without GM?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogalicous

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 23, 2006, 05:52:32 pm

Are you saying that the offense we watch every Saturday has nothing to do with GM?  Maybe it's all Nutt?  Is that why we'd see the same damn offense without GM?

No, I'm not saying that at all. It is clear that Gus has installed an exciting new offense in Fayettville. What I'm saying is that if he leves now the offense is installed. Alex isn't going to get promoted to OC and change anything, sure he might tweak things to fit his own style, but basically we'd run the same offense. You see all the time teams lose an OC or DC and promote from within and keep the same system intact. Arkansas would do the same thing. But the entire argument is moot, b/c NO ONE but us wants Gus at this point. (Well let me clarify,no one that he would seriously consider going to, sure Harding might like to hire him, but.........).

jrw11475

I think we are safe for keeping GM after this year.  The thing is that I think we will be even better next year and GM will have another year to establish his offense.  I say we will lose GM at some point maybe after 3 years.

hog_fan

You are the one that is clueless. More then one person has said they are hearing Alex hasn't even unpacked. I  feel he plans on going back to the NFL. He could stay but I don't see it.If Gus goes and Nutt stays he becomes OC again and back to the offense like last year. If Nutt were to hire another OC it would be someone in name only. The man will never hire a true OC(Gus is close as it gets and he doesn't have complete control) He loves play calling to much as he had said. I think Gus is more respected then you give him credit for. Let's hope he gets the raise he deserves as he has a crappy salary to begin with compared to Herring. He has proven he can recruit.

Hogalicous

Quote from: PorkOpine on October 23, 2006, 06:17:34 pm
Hogalicious, If all offensive coordinators do is install offenses, Nutt could have spent $16.95 for the book HUNH a couple of years ago and installed the damn offense himself.

First of all, you're iimplying that HDN would even been able to understand the book had he read it, and im not convinced that he could have. Second of all, obviously OC do more than install offenses; but once that offense is installed and the players know it and the position coaches know it, and the players have been recruited to run it, it's a hell of a lot easier to promote a guy from within and keep running the same system then it is to hire a new OC and start over installing a new offense.

Oh and to you that think HDN wouldn't hire another OC if GUs left. Reality check here, Broyles would NEVEr let that happen, nor should he. I would bet any amount of money that Houston will never again control the offense at Arkansas.  Even if he's too stupid to see how much better things work when he can just manage the game while someone else runs the offense, his boss isn't.

And once again, i reiterate that this argument is moot. NO ONE is looking at Arkansas right now and thinking about stealing our OC, were talking about .5M$ + a yr jobs, schools don't make a habit of hiring unproven coaches for that kind of money, and at this point Gus is unproven.  Now that is totally different than saying IN THE FUTURE someone will try to lure Gus away that is a great probability.

Razorback_Z71