Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimmy Johnson Just Said!

Started by BigoBoys, October 22, 2006, 07:02:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigoBoys

While discussing the latest BCS polls he commented that West Virginia might get in or "could a 1 loss team from the SEC like Auburn or Florida get in".  Why didn't he say "my Hogs are in the mix again and should they win out have to be considered"  Why doesn't he support the team that got him his start?

ballstothewall

:razorback:ain't gonna get no luv since Big Daddy Frank torpedoed JJ's return to Fayetteville.

So JJ just loaded up the bus and ran over the Hogs and Kenny when Miami came to town. Talk about a beatdown.

ArmyHogfan1981

yeah but that first NC for him came at Ark

Calling All Hogs

I really don't want to hear anything JJ has to say unless he is announcing he will be the Razorback HC next year.

wooo

He could have taken that stance to not sound like a homer, while introducing that a one loss SEC team belongs there. If the Hogs take care of business-its up to them, but JJ just introduced the fact that a one loss SEC team belongs. He mentioned Fla and Auburn, but realisticly, you know he was thinking Arkansas as well, but we have to earn our way and not flop as in years past.

wooo

Arkansas never has won a NC in football. Alabama won it that year--and lost in the bowl game. BUT Alabama is the NC for that year. That bowl loss did change the way they determine NC's from that point on, the team is not named until after the bowl game.

Squealers

He thinks we are still in the old conference.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

razorhog29

If we win out and end up in the NC I think I would shite a brick.

Jim Harris

Quote from: wooo on October 22, 2006, 07:14:36 pm
Arkansas never has won a NC in football. Alabama won it that year--and lost in the bowl game. BUT Alabama is the NC for that year. That bowl loss did change the way they determine NC's from that point on, the team is not named until after the bowl game.

The Football Writers Assocation of America says differently, and the name on the Grantland Rice Trophy for 1964 national champion says Arkansas.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

kramegdoh

Check this out.

http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/awards/rice/winners/

Arazorbackguy1

JJ did the same thing last week!
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

wooo

just sayin

...glad smite is gone

JJHog

we have a NC trophy in the case
" Think Right, Do Right"

WindyCityHog

Quote from: wooo on October 22, 2006, 07:31:20 pm
just sayin

...glad smite is gone

Just sayin?

You're just sayin' shiite....

You must be one of those that likes stirring the pot.

Nice try.

wooo

No I'm just sayin AP and UPI state Alabama is NC...they are the big two

hogfan98

Quote from: wooo on October 22, 2006, 07:28:10 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_NCAA_University_Division_football_season

:o

don't validate your argument by citing wikipedia.  i could go change it right now to say that arkansas state won the '64 championship by winning a hotdog eating contest if i wanted to.

WRICAT

Quote from: BigoBoys on October 22, 2006, 07:02:58 pm
While discussing the latest BCS polls he commented that West Virginia might get in or "could a 1 loss team from the SEC like Auburn or Florida get in".  Why didn't he say "my Hogs are in the mix again and should they win out have to be considered"  Why doesn't he support the team that got him his start?
Quote from: JJHog on October 22, 2006, 07:32:20 pm

we have a NC trophy in the case
Jimmy Johnson got very upset that he was being interviewed for the HC job by Frank Broyles, when Frank Broyles had already settled on Ken Hatfield, with Orville Henry reporting same.

Johnson did not like it that he was being used to make it look as if there other candidates were being considered by Broyles, when Hatfield was always the one they wanted.

He now considers the University of Miami as "his school", and the one he supports.

wooo

I bet Alabama, Notre Dame and Michigan have a 1964 NC trophy as well

wooo

Quote from: WindyCityHog on October 22, 2006, 07:34:08 pm
just sayin

...glad smite is gone

Just sayin?

Nice try.

No. I'm one of those that actually read the facts and don't have the "homer" glasses on.

Should Arkansas have won the 1964 NC-yes
did they-No

WRICAT

October 22, 2006, 08:18:24 pm #20 Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:29:29 pm by WRICAT
Quote from: wooo on October 22, 2006, 07:54:39 pm
Quote from: WindyCityHog on October 22, 2006, 07:34:08 pm
just sayin

...glad smite is gone

Just sayin?

Nice try.

No. I'm one of those that actually read the facts and don't have the "homer" glasses on.

Should Arkansas have won the 1964 NC-yes
did they-No
There were 3 major polls that year, being the Associated Press, Coaches Poll, and the Football Writers Poll, and the Football Writers Poll is the one the University of Arkansas won.

After the bowl games, Arkansas ended up being the only undefeated and untiled team in the nation for D1 NCAA football. and the Football Writers was the only poll that waited till all of the bowl games had been played.

The Associated Press was so embarrassed of giving the trophy to Alabama before the bowl games were played they changed the following year.

Alabama was beaten by Texas in the Sugar Bowl, or was it the Orange, in 1964 I now forget, with Joe Namath at quarterback, and Joe Namath had a tremendous game.  Ir was a very close game, with Texas hanging on to win.

With the Associated Press changing to waiting until the bowl games were played the next year,  before voting for the NC, guess who benefited.  Yep, it was Alabama.

pignatious

Jimmy Johnson doesn't like JFB, therefore he ignores his alma mater. Very big of him. Not....
Freedom is never free.

ThunderHog

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html
As Tim Brando has stated on his radio show, there has never been a true champion in Div 1A football because there is no tournament trail.

Hogeye_Pierce

I think about as highly of Jimmy Johnson as I do of Barry Switzer, which is about what I think of the stuff that floats in my toilet bowl just before I push the little silver handle. :puke:
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

wooo

Quote from: ThunderHog on October 22, 2006, 08:25:46 pm
As Tim Brando has stated on his radio show, there has never been a true champion in Div 1A football because there is no tournament trail.

Alabama: Football Research*
Arkansas: FACT*
Notre Dame: AP, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT*, FB News, Football Research*, FW, Helms, Matthews, National Championship Foundation, NFF, Poling, Sagarin, Sporting News, UPI
Texas: Berryman, FACT*

It looks like we were 1977 NC's as well

now we can claim 2 NC's

wooo

hogeye, what kind of doc are you? I PMed you but you probably haven't noticed it  

Brand X Hog Fan

Huh?

And Bill Clinton never had sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinski . . .

And Apollo 11 never went to the moon . . .

And Elvis is alive and well in Yakima Washington, playing in a nightclub for drinks . . .

If Arkansas wins out, we need to be considered for the National Championship game, pure and simple.

Arkansas has won 1 previous. It was in 1964, so the history books say.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: WRICAT on October 22, 2006, 08:18:24 pm

With the Associated Press changing to waiting until the bowl games were played the next year,  before voting for the NC, guess who benefited.  Yep, it was Alabama.

Which is why I've always wanted to see a Razorback player snatch the 1964 flag from a cheerleader's hands in Bryant-Denny, and rip it in two.

Alabama can claim the 1964 or 1965 titles, but they have no right or basis to claim both.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: wooo on October 22, 2006, 08:30:35 pm
hogeye, what kind of doc are you? I PMed you but you probably haven't noticed it 

Check your PM wooo. I just responded to you.

AltaHog

Quote from: WRICAT on October 22, 2006, 08:18:24 pm

There were 3 major polls that year, being the Associated Press, Coaches Poll, and the Football Writers Poll, and the Football Writers Poll is the one the University of Arkansas won.

After the bowl games, Arkansas ended up being the only undefeated and untiled team in the nation for D1 NCAA football. and the Football Writers was the only poll that waited till all of the bowl games had been played.

Any argument that Arkansas has no claim to the 1964 NC is foolish. Does Alabama also have a claim they were champs? Sure, that's how 2 of the polls did it at the time. But, I will take the Razorbacks undefeated season over Bama's.

Bottom line is, I doubt JFB and no one on that team would trade places with Bama, who finished with a loss. The 64 Hogs can claim National Champions and do so with pride.

wooo

October 22, 2006, 08:56:41 pm #30 Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:05:31 pm by wooo
ok ok

I guess I'm the ONLY one that sees it my way.

I am sorry.

Razorbacks are 1964 NC's
...and 1977 NC as stated by the FACT pollsters

BPPig

JJ was a starter on the 1964 team so he gets big breaks from me for that.

It could be something as benign as he looked at everyones remaining schedule. We still have TN and LSU on ours and both Auburn and Florida have much easier roads left.

mikeirwin

October 22, 2006, 09:01:46 pm #32 Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:03:18 pm by mikeirwin
WRONG.
No team won an NCAA sponsored national championship until the BCS was approved.
HOWEVER, there were several organizations that awarded national championships before that.
The Razorbacks won a couple of versions of the NC in 1964.
The fact they they didn't win AP's or UPI's means nothing because those two organization did not award a NC based on the outcome of bowl games which was ridiculous. Both changed their policy in 1965 after they realized their NCs were worthless without taking bowl games into account.
IT IS COMPLETELY WRONG TO SUGGEST THAT ARKANSAS DID NOT WIN THE NC IN 1964.

wooo

Quote from: wooo on October 22, 2006, 08:56:41 pm
ok ok

I guess I'm the ONLY one that sees it my way.

I am sorry.

Razorbacks are 1964 NC's
...and 1977 NC as stated by the FACT pollsters

hog caller

i think it's a little early to wish for a NC but a conference championship, yeah buddy!

if we win out at S. Carolina we should take Tennessee and Miss St ' LSU will be a horse of a different color. oh i don't mean it can't be ridden but it will be a tough 8 seconds.er 60 minutes.

i also think anything is possible if you hold your head right and a win out is complete plausible thing.

whatsshakinbacon

Doesn't Alabama claim 12 national championships?  Aren't a number of those championships debatable as only one of several services awarded them national championships for any given year?

There is no black and white historically when it comes to championships.

Bacon out...

HoggerNocker

You have taken Johnson's comments out of context.  They were talking about a Sec team that could jump USC with one loss.  Obviously Arkansas could never jump USC even if it loses a game.

BigoBoys

October 22, 2006, 09:27:07 pm #37 Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:29:01 pm by BigoBoys
Quote from: RazorHawg on October 22, 2006, 09:25:08 pm
You have taken Johnson's comments out of context.  They were talking about a Sec team that could jump USC with one loss.  Obviously Arkansas could never jump USC even if it loses a game.
Is that you Jimmy?  I heard what I heard.  My problem with him is that he wore the HELMENT and sung the fight song.  All of the national media is in love with Auburn and Florida.  My team in undefeated in the SEC.  Go Hogs!

wacohog

woo and hogeye,

what are your specialties??

obgyn here in Waco

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: wacohog on October 22, 2006, 09:42:10 pm
woo and hogeye,

what are your specialties??

obgyn here in Waco

FP in Van Buren. Been PMing wooo.

wooo

derm

...and that's one fat cat in the avatar!

wooo

Gonzo

No team won an NCAA sponsored national championship until the BCS was approved

Well, the BCS isn't a true NCAA champ either. It's merely another concoction by the powers-in-charge to try and find one. Until there is a Div 1 playoff, ALL national champs are the infamous "mythical".

Go Hogs! Beat LA MOnroe!

rlamb

Woo, you're an A** H***.  If any team in college fottball history deserved a Natioanl Title it was us that year, I don't care what the stupid AP and UPI said.

werehog

UPI no longer exists. UPI isn't anything but a memory.

LA HAWG

This is my gripe with Jimmy Johnson.  How in the world can a person even be considred for the square table to decide man laws who wears that much moose in his hair?  It is a travesty.  :D

LL COOL HOG

OK to the original poster.  Maybe just maybe he did not mention us because those schools are ranked ahead of us...Its a strectch, but that may be the reason. :)

RedSatinHog

And Tim Brando is exactly correct.  The whole "national championship" in college football is a myth, and no school has really ever won it.  It's existence is subjective and based largely upon opinion.

A tournament solves it, and I believe it should start with 32 teams.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

sowsmilk

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on October 23, 2006, 07:03:22 am

And Tim Brando is exactly correct.  The whole "national championship" in college football is a myth, and no school has really ever won it.  It's existence is subjective and based largely upon opinion.

A tournament solves it, and I believe it should start with 32 teams.

32 teams? - that's six more weeks of football