Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tim Couch didn't like UA's gameplan

Started by football17, October 15, 2006, 10:46:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

football17

Tim Couch, an analyst on CSTV said this:

"I think Arkansas is a very good team, but I still have questions about the QB position. They don't ask Mitch Mustain to do a whole lot. Today, he only threw 13 passes. This was a game against SEMO and with him being a freshman QB in this league it could've been a big confidence builder for him, come out and throw for 350 yards, give the guy some confidence and let him go out and throw three touchdowns, let him have a big day. It could have been a springboard into next week."

An old hog fanatic

From what I've read in various articles it seems like that is what Gus wanted to do.  The problem was that Mitch just had a bad day throwing the ball.  I thought they yanked him a little early but I guess Gus knows Mitch well enough to decide he had better get him out of the game.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

big boes

i'd agree.  our qbs and receivers need more work than our rbs.  however, as a ranked team arkansas' 63 points will be in nearly every newspaper in the country and it stands out on every sports news segment.

RhodeHog

Quote from: big boes on October 15, 2006, 10:50:53 am
I'd agree.  our qbs and receivers need more work than our rbs.  however, as a ranked team Arkansas' 63 points will be in nearly every newspaper in the country and it stands out on every sports news segment.

Yep.  Tim Couch is right.  We know we can run the ball.  SEMO would have been a great opportunity to work on the passing game.

elksnort

Tim Couch is probably right. And he also does not like David Barrett taking one of his passes the other direction.

HogHillbilly

Quote from: football17 on October 15, 2006, 10:46:13 am

"I think Arkansas is a very good team, but I still have questions about the QB position. They don't ask Mitch Mustain to do a whole lot. Today, he only threw 13 passes. This was a game against SEMO and with him being a freshman QB in this league it could've been a big confidence builder for him, come out and throw for 350 yards, give the guy some confidence and let him go out and throw three touchdowns, let him have a big day. It could have been a springboard into next week."

I agree...............I'm glad Micheal Smith finally got to shine.............But MM needed the extra work............And he didn't get it
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

CallThemHawgs!

That sounds about perfect to me, he summed that up pretty well. You def cant be angry with the win,,, but Casey Dick DID look better than mitch and I was really hoping mitch would come out and light it up. Oh well I think we may be able to get a bit more work in against OleMiss. Even if we F-up our passing game we have well,,,, a decent (hehe) running game to pound it out for the W... haha

SPAL

if that is true, would the adverse be true also. He throws some passes against a horrible d1AA team and has an off day and cant hit his mark and almost throws a couple of picks...would that then hurt his confidence?...i guess we will find out.

arkjay19

I keep saying Mitch hasn't looked as comfortable as he did in the USC game at any game at home since.  He did good against Vandy and Auburn on the road.  Maybe this kid can light ULM up in Little Rock.

hog_fan

Mitch needs to be in the Shotgun. Much more comfortable there.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Bogarto on October 15, 2006, 10:54:11 am
Tim Couch = Crybaby and loser
That's it, attack the messenger when you can't refute the message.  Makes you look all the more credible to the MSM, since that is the way they do business.

Hawgz4Life

I have to give the coaching staff (whether it be Gus or Nutt) props for pulling MM when they did. I like Mustain and I know that he's going to be a HUGE factor in the Arkansas football team for a few years. However, pulling him did many things..
1. It reaffirmed to the team and to us fans that we have a VERY able backup QB.
2. It kept Mitchell from having a COMPLETELY terrible day....I would think (and I'm just speaking for myself here) that being pulled from the game is far less damaging than being left in and continuing to flounder. Mitchell is such a competitor that he's going to see that as a challenge to get better than he already is.
3. It proved that our coaching staff has maybe come to the point that we are no longer a team who "Plays not to lose"...if winning means pulling Mitchell and putting in Casey, then so be it. They are looking at the Hogs as a TEAM unit...not something to the effect of "The Matt Jones show"...Don't flame me for that, btw....I LOVED Matt Jones.

Lando Calrissian

They seemed intent on getting Mitch a TD pass.

My guess is that is the only reason he played in the 2nd half.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

PulledPork

Quote from: big boes on October 15, 2006, 10:50:53 am
i'd agree.  our qbs and receivers need more work than our rbs.  however, as a ranked team arkansas' 63 points will be in nearly every newspaper in the country and it stands out on every sports news segment.
and that is the only thing that matters to Nuttboi!

Pulled out...

PORK CHOP

why don't you compare bank accounts and then see who is the loser

-57 and counting

PulledPork

Quote from: Hawgz4Life on October 15, 2006, 11:13:28 am
I have to give the coaching staff (whether it be Gus or Nutt) props for pulling MM when they did. I like Mustain and I know that he's going to be a HUGE factor in the Arkansas football team for a few years. However, pulling him did many things..
2. It kept Mitchell from having a COMPLETELY terrible day....I would think (and I'm just speaking for myself here) that being pulled from the game is far less damaging than being left in and continuing to flounder. Mitchell is such a competitor that he's going to see that as a challenge to get better than he already is.
3. It proved that our coaching staff has maybe come to the point that we are no longer a team who "Plays not to lose"...if winning means pulling Mitchell and putting in Casey, then so be it. They are looking at the Hogs as a TEAM unit...not something to the effect of "The Matt Jones show"...Don't flame me for that, btw....I LOVED Matt Jones.
are you kidding me?  I doubt the coaches were EVER worried about losing to this SE MOST team....good gawd!  the fugged up by not working on the pass.  Establish the run, score a 21 point lead and work on your weakness.  If for some ungodly reason SE MOST starts to score, then go back to your strenghts.  This isn't rocket science, people!!

Pulled out...

deserthawg

Dont worry. He's going to throw for 350 yds and 3 touchdowns against Ole Piss. Mark my word. WPS

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: PORK CHOP on October 15, 2006, 11:37:41 am
why don't you compare bank accounts and then see who is the loser

-57 and counting
I got you beat, I went Hogvillian and -100 Karma in a 6 hour period :D

PulledPork

Quote from: deserthawg on October 15, 2006, 11:42:10 am

Dont worry. He's going to throw for 350 yds and 3 touchdowns against Ole Piss. Mark my word. WPS
willing to bet on that?

Pulled out...

deserthawg

Quote from: PulledPork on October 15, 2006, 11:43:59 am

willing to bet on that?

Pulled out...

yea...and you should be too if your a true hog fan

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: deserthawg on October 15, 2006, 11:47:30 am
Quote from: PulledPork on October 15, 2006, 11:43:59 am

willing to bet on that?

Pulled out...

yea...and you should be too if your a true hog fan
Back off Pulled, the "True Fan" has reared his head again.  Thanks "True Fan" for all of the mediocrity you have enabled through your blind allegiance.  Houston Nutt thanks you, too.

mikeirwin

Couch hit the nail squarely on the head.
Where is this balanced offense HDN talked about the day Gus was hired ?
They win a big game with an unbalanced offense and suddenly they don't need to develop their freshman QB. Lets keep using him as a good hander offer.
They will pay for this down the road.
Sugar Bowl or Cotton Bowl. What is your goal ?

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

deserthawg

^^^^^ROFL @ Hong Kong-U guys find anything to be  >:( at. I dont care who throws the ball. I dont care who calls the plays. I just want our program to become successfull. And yes I believe MM will get his chances to gain his confidence. And no I dont think HDN is the best coach for this team. But as of now, we have a shot to play for a sec title. Lets atleast act like thats a good thing ;)

football17

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 15, 2006, 12:07:04 pm
They win a big game with an unbalanced offense and suddenly they don't need to develop their freshman QB. Lets keep using him as a good hander offer.

Mike, do you think any media will ask Nutt directly, "wasn't the SEMO game a good game to work on the HUNH?" ... "wasn't the SEMO game a good game to air it out and let Mitch gain confidence?" ... it seems the media stays away from the HUNH subject when talking to Nutt...

HogHillbilly

I think the second half should've been the time to work on the passing game, HUNH and some new plays
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Cornhogio

Sugar Bowl, and I agree.  I think there was a lot of focus on getting the backups some PT and maybe we forgot to let the one's work on the things they needed to.  I would really hope that when ULM goes to the Rock, we will let Mitch get some target practice.
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

Cornhogio

Quote from: HogHillbilly on October 15, 2006, 12:14:09 pm
I think the second half should've been the time to work on the passing game, HUNH and some new plays

Would have been fun, but man, we might have dropped 80+ on them.  Nutt's not built that way.
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

jabohog

Coach Nutt said at the start of the season, just get back to a bowl. ;D

GuvHog

I actually believe they were trying to send MM a message. He'd better start getting it done
or the hook will come quickly. 5-13 against a BAD D1AA team doesn't bode well for MM and
it worries me.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

IPig

I couldnt agree more.  There will be a game in which the running game will freeze up and then the hogs will be done.

Name the last power running team to win the NC.  Your gonna go back pretty far and probably to Nebraska in 95.

Perfect chance was squandered to get MM some confidence and to work on the passing game.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: GUVHOG on October 15, 2006, 12:34:34 pm

I actually believe they were trying to send MM a message. He'd better start getting it done
or the hook will come quickly. 5-13 against a BAD D1AA team doesn't bode well for MM and
it worries me.
You know what worries me?  The fact that we have thrown so little, even in practice, that Mitch is unable to play better than that against the worst team in D-1AA.  You play like you practice.  Mitch is an outstanding hander-offer.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: MitchM on October 15, 2006, 12:38:51 pm

I couldnt agree more.  There will be a game in which the running game will freeze up and then the hogs will be done.

Name the last power running team to win the NC.  Your gonna go back pretty far and probably to Nebraska in 95.

Perfect chance was squandered to get MM some confidence and to work on the passing game.
Nebraska 1997.  But you have the right idea.

PAHOGFAN

For all you guys putting down MM performance, and I know you were there Guv cause of an earlier post.  What throws were asked of MM?  I was there, and I watched him in HS some.

Most of the throws he was asked to make yesterday were outs and screens.  Only one of his throws were down field.  No,0, throws over the middle or to TE.  NO tunnel screens, posts or flies.  These are his strengths and he was not allowed or asked for that .  The couple of times I thought he was going to air it out, in came a safety or corner blitz.  Most of the time he had 2 receivers.  This is not his strength.  Til the passing game goes to his strengths he will struggle some.  HE IS ONLY IN HIS 6th GAME with only 10 WEEKS OF COLLEGE EXPERIENCE.  He will get better as the game plan comes to his strength.

IPig

you are assuming that there will eventually be a game plan that plays to his strength.

SwinedMelon

I am being lambasted on the HI premium board for thinking Mitch needed more work throwing the ball yesterday... thank you for agreeing with me.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

MrCouch

We throw the ball effectively when we need to throw the football.. When you rush for almost 400 yards, you don't have to throw the ball.. Not to mention its' a respect issue.. You don't throw the football when you're up 42-0 at Halftime, that's pretty disrespectful.. You can get by with it with Casey Dick because he's your backup, but not your starter.

Snowhog

it worries me.

It was very obvious that Casey got a lot more 4-wide, quick-slants, crossing patterns from the shotgun type plays/formations. The vast majority of Mitch's pass plays came from 2 receiver sets with him under center. Not very conducive to him being successful passing. When they alternated in the 3rd quarter, Casey used these formations and when Mitch was in he was put under center in the I formation. What type of message was suppossed to be sent? That we are not going to put you in formations that give you a better chance to succeed passing the ball.

jabohog

Quote from: Snowhog on October 15, 2006, 01:16:49 pm

it worries me.

It was very obvious that Casey got a lot more 4-wide, quick-slants, crossing patterns from the shotgun type plays/formations. The vast majority of Mitch's pass plays came from 2 receiver sets with him under center. Not very conducive to him being successful passing. When they alternated in the 3rd quarter, Casey used these formations and when Mitch was in he was put under center in the I formation. What type of message was suppossed to be sent? That we are not going to put you in formations that give you a better chance to succeed passing the ball.
Maybe Nutt was saying this is the offense we are going to run, and this is where you are weak in it. So let's use this game to get you some live work in your weak spots of the offense that I have decided we will run.

Tusk-n-Porker

Mike do you think something is wrong with his arm?  I have watched and he doesnt have the same zip he  had against USC, hasnt had it since then.  I noticed CD arm was alot fresher and snappier. CD threw the ball VERY WELL, not saying change qbs but earlier in the season mitch had as strong of an arm.  Any thoughts, facts or observations??
"Heart and effort are overated, talent wins 99% of football games"

Whole Hog Half Ham ARKANSAS by Damn!!!!

SPAL

Quote from: Tusk-n-Porker on October 15, 2006, 01:26:54 pm

Mike do you think something is wrong with his arm?  I have watched and he doesnt have the same zip he  had against USC, hasnt had it since then.  I noticed CD arm was alot fresher and snappier. CD threw the ball VERY WELL, not saying change qbs but earlier in the season mitch had as strong of an arm.  Any thoughts, facts or observations??

let the excuses begin...

Tusk-n-Porker

I notice a difference when I go back and watch the games, MM has lost a little velocity! :razorback:
"Heart and effort are overated, talent wins 99% of football games"

Whole Hog Half Ham ARKANSAS by Damn!!!!

PulledPork

you huggers are funny people!  His arm is probably sore from throwing 13-15 passes per game, you do tend to get a little sore when you don't do the same thing over and over....kind of like going to the gym once every 3 months.

A true fan?  I think not!

Pulled out...

GuvHog

Quote from: Snowhog on October 15, 2006, 01:16:49 pm

it worries me.

I was at the game and I totally disagree. MM was in the one back spread most of the time
and most of the time in the shotgun.

Hawgz4Life

are you kidding me?  I doubt the coaches were EVER worried about losing to this SE MOST team....good gawd!  the fugged up by not working on the pass.  Establish the run, score a 21 point lead and work on your weakness.  If for some ungodly reason SE MOST starts to score, then go back to your strenghts.  This isn't rocket science, people!!

Pulled out...

Uhhh...no...I'm really not kidding you. If you had paid closer attention, you'd have seen that my post was a simple opinion. Opinion means that I might be wrong in my assessment, but it's what I think at the time. My opinion might change over time, but it was just a thought. As you so succinctly pointed out, I'm no rocket scientist.

hoggin das

Quote from: PAHOGFAN on October 15, 2006, 12:46:34 pm
For all you guys putting down MM performance, and I know you were there Guv cause of an earlier post.  What throws were asked of MM?  I was there, and I watched him in HS some.

Most of the throws he was asked to make yesterday were outs and screens.  Only one of his throws were down field.  No,0, throws over the middle or to TE.  NO tunnel screens, posts or flies.  These are his strengths and he was not allowed or asked for that .  The couple of times I thought he was going to air it out, in came a safety or corner blitz.  Most of the time he had 2 receivers.  This is not his strength.  Til the passing game goes to his strengths he will struggle some.  HE IS ONLY IN HIS 6th GAME with only 10 WEEKS OF COLLEGE EXPERIENCE.  He will get better as the game plan comes to his strength.
I think the low passing numbers are a little odd, but I can think of a couple of possible reasons:
1. They don't want to show our future opponents the home run plays.
2. Possibly MM's arm is still bothering him a bit.

UADrummer

You know when a QB runs a play he has a few options to throw the ball, minus a typical screen play.  I saw plenty of passes in which someone was coming open on an inside post or a crossing route.  MM's problem is that he goes into a play knowing who he wants to get the ball to, and doesn't typically check down.  His eyes stay on one receiver that he wants to go to and doesn't look around too much.  That comes from his HS days when he could do that because his receivers could always make the plays no matter who was covering them. 

I just hope that he can develop that as this season progresses and I was really hoping to see that today.  I think Wood really needs to work on that with him in order for him to get any better, right now he is not getting better and that is a problem.

PulledPork

Quote from: hoggin das on October 15, 2006, 01:48:47 pm

I think the low passing numbers are a little odd, but I can think of a couple of possible reasons:
not showing the future opponents our passing game is stupid stupid stupid.  It is a passing game, if you execute it, it doesn't matter what they have seen before.  Gus can change a play from week to week as he sees fit, of course, based on what defense will be out there for that called play.  My god, people!  That is like saying, "....um, well, lets not show 'em what I defense is gonna do befar we playum.....we don't want them to just run us over!"

this is college football, that is why they give you timeouts and halftime....to make adjustments!  I agree, don't show them EVERYTHING, but to just not pass on a consistent basis is just hurting us.

Pulled out...

GuvHog

Quote from: PulledPork on October 15, 2006, 01:56:40 pm
Quote from: hoggin das on October 15, 2006, 01:48:47 pm

not showing the future opponents our passing game is stupid stupid stupid.  It is a passing game, if you execute it, it doesn't matter what they have seen before.  Gus can change a play from week to week as he sees fit, of course, based on what defense will be out there for that called play.  My god, people!  That is like saying, "....um, well, lets not show 'em what I defense is gonna do befar we playum.....we don't want them to just run us over!"

this is college football, that is why they give you timeouts and halftime....to make adjustments!  I agree, don't show them EVERYTHING, but to just not pass on a consistent basis is just hurting us.

Pulled out...

Pork, Arkansas is 5-1 overall and 3-0 in the SEC. That doesn't look like it is hurting us to me.

jabohog

Quote from: HoopHog on October 15, 2006, 02:06:50 pm
Quote from: arkhog9 on October 15, 2006, 11:04:03 am
I keep saying Mitch hasn't looked as comfortable as he did in the USC game at any game at home since.  He did good against Vandy and Auburn on the road.  Maybe this kid can light ULM up in Little Rock.

He hasn't looked comfortable because he is unhappy...and tired of the overtly obvious struggle between "I can't run an offense" Houston Nutt and the forced hire, "I can coach circles around you" Gus Malzahn.  If things don't change, I bet some other program welcomes Mitch Mustain with massive open arms -- and an open offensive game plan.
Thanks Hoop. I have posting, trying to get someone in the know to explain if my suspicions were right. This is very sad.